Shoebox M939 truck

HUNMARINE

Enlisted
Feb 6, 2014
Hungary
Hi there! =)

So here it is - an M939 truck built up using mostly things, wich mostly you can find in your trash bins.
Really - box wires, cardboard from shoe box, figures box, drinking straws, toothpicks (smaller and bigger ones), paper clips, even a used printer cardridge, plastic tubes from a table flag holder, plastic detail tube from the parts holder for a 1/72 model and so on.
Every mechanism - selfmade. Every hindge - selfmade.

I know you wonder how it might to look like...well this is how:

DSCN3062 by HUNMARINE, on Flickr

Not a piece of art...but not bad for a sratch out of a trash. huh? =)
Let see how it was done:

HUNMARINE

Enlisted
Feb 6, 2014
Hungary
First of all - some measuring =)

DSCN1989 by HUNMARINE, on Flickr

This is why its called shoebox truck =)

DSCN1991 by HUNMARINE, on Flickr

The wheels are spins...without a doubt...so the whole truck can roll all round your 'war-table'))

I most of the time do a pre-part out of paper...to figure out how it will look like...and do the necessary changes if its required:

DSCN1993 by HUNMARINE, on Flickr

When I found the rigth measures - I build up the final part:

DSCN1994 by HUNMARINE, on Flickr

DSCN1995 by HUNMARINE, on Flickr

And again the same method with the hood:

DSCN1997 by HUNMARINE, on Flickr

DSCN1998 by HUNMARINE, on Flickr

DSCN2011 by HUNMARINE, on Flickr

Even it is not a "plastic toy"...I've tried to make it as functional as I can.
So one of this "functions" - the opening hood:

DSCN2013 by HUNMARINE, on Flickr

I've also tried to build it up easier. So little details like the front panel, wheels, dashboard - are just simply printed :eek:

DSCN2014 by HUNMARINE, on Flickr

Some part-view...like the hood, cabin with opening doors, exhaust tubes, rear tire...and so on:

DSCN2021 by HUNMARINE, on Flickr

Stearing wheel...gear handles:

DSCN2022 by HUNMARINE, on Flickr

DSCN2023 by HUNMARINE, on Flickr

DSCN2024 by HUNMARINE, on Flickr

HUNMARINE

Enlisted
Feb 6, 2014
Hungary
The 2nd big part was the cargo bay. I was thinking to leave only as a cargo or a troop carrier?...I decided to make both. It means - I had to figure out how to close the seat panels. I know there are a lot of minihinges that you can buy in furniture stores...(I actually did after the build)...But here I decided to make eerything on the truck - by myself with the resources I have all around..check it out:

DSCN2896 by HUNMARINE, on Flickr

DSCN2957 by HUNMARINE, on Flickr

DSCN2958 by HUNMARINE, on Flickr

DSCN2959 by HUNMARINE, on Flickr

This is the first time I saw something like a truck out of this build:

DSCN2961 by HUNMARINE, on Flickr

HUNMARINE

Enlisted
Feb 6, 2014
Hungary
The tent holding tubes (they are actually removable) :

DSCN2963 by HUNMARINE, on Flickr

DSCN2964 by HUNMARINE, on Flickr

The engine =)
Used hp 3420 cartridge and some trash from my bin:
Before:

DSCN3024 by HUNMARINE, on Flickr

After:

DSCN3026 by HUNMARINE, on Flickr

To secure the seat panels on the side...to prevent them always dropping down - I used the most simple method - hooks on threads (here I used mini paracord...bought it somwhere on someday a long before)

DSCN3027 by HUNMARINE, on Flickr

DSCN3029 by HUNMARINE, on Flickr

HUNMARINE

Enlisted
Feb 6, 2014
Hungary
I hope you liked it)))
I know - its crappy...and I try to do next prjocets oout of plastic - but as a first sratchbuild - it was a good run. I liked it...I learned a lot during the build.

So..be creative and never afraid to do something new! =)
Thx for watching!

DSCN3076 by HUNMARINE, on Flickr

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I wouldn't say it's crappy at all. Given the medium you used to build it with I'd say it's excellent, especially for a first shot.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Welcome aboard and thanks for sharing this project! That is not crappy by any means. The amount of creativity it took to make that happen and the fact that you did this in scale is actually a bit more than impressive. That needs to be in a dio! :D

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Talk about do it your damn self! That's wonderful.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
WOW!...way to see the forest through the trees!...never in a million years would I have the vision of that with the materials you had...bravo man!

HUNMARINE

Enlisted
Feb 6, 2014
Hungary
Thx! :)

WOW!...way to see the forest through the trees!...never in a million years would I have the vision of that with the materials you had...bravo man!

It always depends on what you want with what you have.
I mean - its not so hard to build something up if you know exactly what you want. A little imagination and creativnes - and voulais. =)

sgt goat

Enlisted
Mar 25, 2014
shit onna stick! thats 7 shades of painstakingly creative awesome!

great project dude!

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
^
You literally made a truck out of crap lying around,that's awesome. My brother would build elaborate dios and vehicles for our joes(being a mechinaic now I realize how wrong they where built tho) out of cardboard,masking tape,LED's switches,thin wire,and paper brad fasteners my mom would bring home. everyone becoming more elaborate then the last. startrek style sliding doors in facilities,lights in hallways...I love stuff like this!

That was also a hint to add a 9v battery&a couple of LED's for the headlights&tail lights:D everyone has an old remote or old radio with some LEDs!! :popcorn:

Last edited:

HUNMARINE

Enlisted
Feb 6, 2014
Hungary
That was also a hint to add a 9v battery&a couple of LED's for the headlights&tail lights:D everyone has an old remote or old radio with some LEDs!! :popcorn:

Thx =)
Well..to be honest - I had an idea of LED lights. But decided against it due to the lack of LEDs and to the idea of doing this thing "cheap" :D
I know that LED's are an awsome feature for vehicles...but I like more to play with my toys (and I don't afraid to say it), and I have no reason to turn lights on or off on a truck. In my opinion its great for stand-models...you turn them on at nights..and watching how awsome they are.
But thx for the tip... I'm not sure to try out LED's in the future but I hope those who read this thread will find your tip helpfull fro their customs =)

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
^
Lol,I play with my toys too! I just got a radio controlled audi q7 to put tony stark in,and beat the crap out of it:D I'll probably review it just for fun. I like to take pics of my toys,that's why I like lights..looks more realistic IMO. Still a cool custom you made there.

HUNMARINE

Enlisted
Feb 6, 2014
Hungary
^
Lol,I play with my toys too!

Hoooray! :pirate:

I just got a radio controlled audi q7 to put tony stark in,and beat the crap out of it:D I'll probably review it just for fun.

You are a beast! :D

I like to take pics of my toys,that's why I like lights..looks more realistic IMO.

:thumbsup: 100% agree. Thats why a respect those customs wich have LEDs. Maybe I just have to grow up to it....We'll see =)

Still a cool custom you made there.

:) thank you