Space Jockey

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I wasn't sure where to post this. It is a figure...of sorts, but it's also part of a larger diorama that's in the works.

It's a bit of a mixed media sculpture, the main pieces of the chair are made out of blue insulation foam...the thick stuff you get from Lowe's. The "telescope" is made from a piece of dowel rod surrounded with small paper tubes and bits of straws cut in half for the ribbing. The jockey itself and most of the parts with the inscribed detail are from various McFarlane figures. The turn table is the top from a jar of peanutbutter.

I blended it all together and skinned it using paper clay which is made of paper and volcanic ash. It acts like clay, but air dries and you can sand and drill it like wood.

All of the organic tube work was done with a product called 3D paint. It's mostly used for drawing/detailing shirts or other fabrics. I've used it a time or two for organic detail and it works great, although you have to let it dry throughly or else you risk flattening it with simple handling.

Based it all in black, then went to town dry brushing with gunmetal and silver on the chair parts, and different shades of beige on the jockey. Then I finished it off with a wash of redish brown here and there for the rust look.
(I don't know why it would have rust, but that's how it looked in the movie.)

P.S. I know it's not movie accurate, I was putting my own artistic spin on it while only using stuff I had on hand. I would like to say that the total spent on this was $0, but I did, at some point in the past, buy everything that was used.

Except for the insulation foam, I found that along side the highway.

Chestbuster exit wound...where the hell did that little bastard go?

Last edited:

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
Fantastic.

I was going to ask where the burst chest was...but then the last two pics came up.

This really makes me want Prometheus to get done faster.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I think the saying that applies best is "close enough for government work".

I think it's great, especially considering what the component parts were.

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Hell yeah.. like KT said, it's great, especially considering everything you used. I've seen some pieces here and there where you can identify what was used.. here you integrated them all seamlessly.

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
That is pretty damn awesome Dropship. Everytime you post it reminds me I need to finish up the two Colonial Marines. I also need to repost pictures of the one that's almost done....

Looks really great though! I can't wait to see who you have crawling around on it!

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Thank you all for the kind words. :)

darthdre, while I love the Alien(s) universe, I'm skeptical about this new film. I'm hoping it doesn't take away the mystery of the Jockey race and turn them into just another cliche.

XOC2008, that's what I was striving, the seamless blending of all the parts. That's one of the biggest challenges with making anything from scratch/found parts.

Midget, please do finish them up, I'd love to see them! Even if they aren't finished, please do start a thread, Aliens is my favorite out of the whole series (in case you couldn't guess from my name).:cool:

Firefly76, I can't wait to see it either! At the rate I'm going, I'll probably have it done in another year...or two. :(

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
no idea what thats from, but it looks spectacular...

Yeah, I don't know if I wanna know what it is, because it's that kinda Geiger-ish "mind rape" design, but it's still well crafted, and looks really awesome. Like you, I have zero idea what the hell it's from, and I'm pretty sure I've seen all the Alien movies over the years in some format or another, and both Predators, but not the Vs. movies...

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah, I don't know if I wanna know what it is, because it's that kinda Geiger-ish "mind rape" design, but it's still well crafted, and looks really awesome. Like you, I have zero idea what the hell it's from, and I'm pretty sure I've seen all the Alien movies over the years in some format or another, and both Predators, but not the Vs. movies...

Very beginning of Aliens when Newt's family is told to check out the coordinates and they find the crashed alien spacecraft. That's where dad gets mouth raped and brings the Aliens into the compound.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
A true artist. Great work. Did I read that right? "Part of a larger dio" I like it large, can't wait to see it Ship

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
A true artist. Great work. Did I read that right? "Part of a larger dio" I like it large, can't wait to see it Ship

Yes, you read that right. While I don't have any exterior stuff planned, I do have interior plans.

holy s**t that is wicked cool i so wish they would make toys for these movies in 3 34in with joe articulation i would so buy them.

Well, there are the Aliens figures made by HT that are in Joe scale.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Takara did them in the Microman line, too.

Too bad they're long out of production, and the HT snap kits tend to fetch a mint.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I was lucky enough to get almost two dozen of the HT Aliens warriors through various trades and purchases over the years.

Heck, Kenner even had plans for a series of figures for the first movie back when it first came out. Too bad they didn't follow through on that.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Well, they did put out that 18" Alien.

Can't imagine a 3 3/4" Kenner Alien line from the '70s would be any good. 5 POA bricks with soft details, just like the SW line.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Well, they did put out that 18" Alien.

I've got one of those, probably one of the best toys ever made. I know it isn't nearly as detailed or accurate as the one made by NECA, but it has a certain charm. Plus the fact that I tried buying one off a kid back in the mid 80's who kept being a douche-bag about it before changing his mind, kinda made it a "white whale" for me.
Mine's missing the head dome, but it's in great shape otherwise.

5 POA bricks with soft details, just like the SW line.

Yep, that's exactly what they were.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I've always thought the 18" Alien was awfully cool looking for a late '70s toy.