Takara Transformers

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Anybody still in touch with him? I still miss the volume of fun content he used to bring around and the occasional silly banter.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
So with the release of MP-52 Starscream and my very recent repacking/organizing of all my MPs I decided I needed to update my MP-11. I preordered 52 last week while trying to justify the price and then BBTS bumped the date into August. This sent me to tfw2005 for more research and a poll showed around 45% of 120 respondents received one with cracked peg holes, cracked ankle pins and other issues making it a floppy mess. $275 and you are getting broken parts and missing ratchets?!? FU Takara.

Anyways, I started researching other modern toon’ish versions and landed on the new release of Maketoys Meteor. Gundog is one of my best built bots and Meteor looks like a perfect blend between toon and toy. Add the SS head that came with my KO MP-44 and it’s perfect.

Attachments

• 41C1D48A-05A9-4251-8D7D-72646FBDC570.jpeg
    41C1D48A-05A9-4251-8D7D-72646FBDC570.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 4

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
That does look good. Very nice.

I'm perfectly happy with my TRU seekers, but that's probably the route I'd take if I were starting from scratch. I sold off the original Takara seekers for big bank back in the purge of '14, but the TRU versions are good enough for my shelf. They're not as toony as what you've got there, but I don't think I'd enjoy an upgrade enough to spend the cash to replace them.

Gotta save that jack. Buying a new PC friday when the sales tax holiday hits, and this fall, I wanna drop several grand on some new camera equipment when the Sony A7 mkIV drops. Maybe I'll get another gubment check I can use for transformers ;)

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah, I only kept my MP-3 and MP-11, so upgrading my seeker(s) is no issue at all. Just needed something that fit in with my handful of toon forward designs on display. 75% of my older MP versions are in their crates for life, but I can’t bring myself to get rid of them. Of the 10 I have on display, 5 are KO’s, 2 are 3rd party and 3 are official.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Yeah, given the outdated appearance of the initial seekers and the insane prices they command, replacing them seems like a no-brainer. I have deemed the TRU versions "good enough", but MT definitely did a good job with those.

I have completely lost the urge to add to the MP collection. After completing XTB Menasor last year, I haven't felt the need. The only MP I've bought this year is a KO MP44. I like it, but not enough to replace the Magic Square version in my main display. 44 just went in the "Primes of all sizes" display with MP01, MP10, knocked up MP10, knocked-down MP10, Faith Leader, Revo v2, etc...

I have XTB's Springer on PO, but it feels like that figure is never coming out.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
KO MP-44 is the only one I’ve bought in 2 years and have not had a desire to buy any new characters. Now that my display is set for the next decade, I’ll just update them with toonish KO versions until the display matches. Soundwave and Sideswipe are my only old style left, so not really a big commitment to upgrade them. That new FansToys Soundwave is amazing, but I’m not spending $250 to replace my perfectly good old one.

MP-44 is pretty cool for a display, but a horrible toy (as most MPs are these days). Can’t believe people paid $600 for an official one.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Yeah, I felt like $100 was plenty for that mold. I didn't even try to transform him, just put him on the shelf with the others. Paying full rate for the HasTak version seems like complete lunacy.

Around the same time as the KO Prime, I pre-ordered a high-pockets KO Megs (4th run) as well (assuming it ever gets in stock). If I ever photograph them, they'll pair well together from the right perspective. Still not replacing Despotron in the main display though.

Yeah, that soundwave looks great, but I can't actually say that it's any better than the HasTak one, as the original was solid to begin with. Then again, my display's only theme is "I like how this toy captures the essence of the character". It's not necessarily toy-themed, or comic-themed, or toon-themed, just "Hey, that figure represents the iconic look of character x in a manner I find pleasing." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
That RED line at the big box stores can’t even get me to bother picking up a box to look at them. If my TFs can’t TF then they better be 1:18 scale or hyper detailed and articulated high end figures.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Agree 100%. But at least they're priced under $20. Those S7 TFs look just as derpy as the Red-line, if not more so, and they cost $55 ea! Sure, they come with lots of accessories, but not $35 worth of stuff that will mostly live in a bin.

Lots of joe fans are excited about the S7 sunbow line, but I've never heard anyone jonsing for the S7 TFs designed by fisher-price.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I think part of it is that they're much smaller production numbers than a mass market figure. So all the sculpting and tooling costs are shared by far less units. And they look like they have a lot of paint apps, and they certainly do come with a ton of accessories. So I get that they should cost more. 2.75x as much? That's debatable. But they also know their market, i.e. adult males with disposable income and a fever for nostalgia.... so they probably don't mind soaking us a little.

But also, if I were in their shoes, I'd want to make an above average margin to offset when a certain figure is under-ordered such that the run doesn't cover development costs. It seems like a stupid notion until you look at some of those TF figures. How are some of those turds going to break even when people aren't forced to order full sets/cases like most other lines? Shelf warmers routinely hide in fixed cases. Turds can't hide when ordering is al la carte.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I was going to sell him and get the $50 KO Hound just to match, but touching him quickly made me love him all over again. One of the best constructed TFs I own. I need to get that hip kit for Ironhide because he really is a great toy.

That picture really shows the size difference between Autobots and Decepticons.

Wish my FansToys Phoenix would fit in my built-ins.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I refuse to buy MPs with stickers beyond faction logos on it. The Reprolabel whole door sticker for Downbeat makes my skin crawl. I’m good with my toon deco since I do not keep him in car mode and the ankle stripes are mostly hidden.

Reading up on Maketoys and their downfall after Gundog and Downbeat makes me sad since they produced my favorite 3rd party figs and Meteor now fits into this slot as well. I actually ordered Endgame today to have one of each group. I know FansToys is the fanboy favorite, but honestly my MakeToys are better built than my Phoenix.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I don't mind stickers if they look good when applied. It's all about appearances. I had to grab him off the hutch and look very closely to even see if I had the door stickers you dislike (I do). If I can't tell from where I sit - 24" away, then it's not going to bother me.

As for brands... I find all the fanboy arguments about which company is best/worst to be laughable. I own stuff from every damn 3P, and they're ALL fragile. Every HasTak MP toy not named MP-01 are fragile. By definition, any toy with this many moving parts has the potential to be an over-engineered, floppy, fragile mess. I don't play with any of them, I don't transform them, and I hate even moving them. They are posable decorations, pure and simple.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I certainly do not transform any official design since MP-36 Megs more than once, but I’ll occasionally grab a 3P off the shelf to fiddle with. Ultimately this is why I went all in on the G1 toon accurate Hasbro chug WFC figures. They look great, articulate well, transform in a few minutes and DON’T BREAK. I keep them piled in a tub just like a kid would and dig thru them frequently (gives you that satisfying sound of Lego) to find a few to play with.

MTRM-11EX is absolutely my favorite SS past, present or currently in the pipeline. They really nailed this guy’s body while TT completed it with the head.

2586B121-8F6A-425A-BE8C-EA181691FD8F.jpeg
D5547517-BA96-449D-8971-BCDC424DEF38.jpeg2742853A-3383-410E-A033-FCF5BD425BF4.jpeg

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
If I were going to replace TRUscream, it would definitely be with the new Deformation Space design. Upon first glance, it looked so clean, I wasn't even sure if it transformed. I thought maybe it was a giant action master. Although like you, I would definitely use the KO-MP44 Starscream head on it.

Deformation Space DS-001 Starscream - Show.Z Store (showzstore.com)

1628184380814.png

Also, these guys are up for preorder:

1628184589127.png 1628184611626.png

I know it's XTB, so they're probably 2-3 years away, but I'm more excited for them than I should be. I like the characters, but I'm mostly excited that it means they're probably going to do Jumpstarters too. I can't believe that it's 2021 and no one has even attempted a G1-esque Topspin and Twintwist. I love those guys for some strange reason. XTB also announced versions of the Omnibots, which I also really want, just from all that time spent looking at the mail-away flyer. They're just working on all the G1 oddballs that never saw a frame of animation, and I'm glad to support that effort.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I have those two guys in my WFC collection and never saw them in the cartoon other than a YouTube clip after buying them.

That DS SS looks incredible from the front, but the pics I saw showed the same annoying tail fin tucked into the wings and I did not see a waist swivel. I could be completely wrong since I knew nothing about it when I chose Meteor and only saw pictures in the Maketoys thread. Crazy how much it looks like MP-52

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Never in my reasonable, conscience mind did I think I would get a full-blown modern G1 cast of Autobots over a 2yr period at retail. Could not be happier. Could not care less if it ends once I get my earth Sideswipe.

959DC100-881D-4EB0-886B-F2B5A336164B.jpeg

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I agree, for G1-styled toys at "toy prices", that's about as good as anyone could possibly expect. (Where's your Ratchet, Brawn, and Windcharger? - Gears can go rust...)

I have bought several of those for my son, and he enjoyed displaying them despite not really being into action figures. But for my collection, I just couldn't do it. Once going down the MP/3P rabbit hole, there was no going back to hollow hasbro "eh, close enough" offerings. But as a kid, these would have been a wet dream next to actual G1 bricks.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I have not chased any of the Walgreens exclusives, so no ambulances for me. The rest of the Dinobots will trickle out thru Studio Series ‘84, so the only figures I’d actually want now are an Earth Hound and a deluxe size Powerglide like they did with Warpath. I’d definitely pickup a Brawn too.

As far as MP’s go, Endgame has satisfied my last urge. Back into hibernation that collecting goes until a toon V2 Sideswipe is released.

29F3498A-1AE7-47C2-B6E7-DBA0A5138272.jpeg

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Fine by me since I’ll probably skip Swoop anyways. His Dino mode is useless unless you are holding him. Unfortunately Snarl was my first and my favorite due to this.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
You'll only get 4 dinobots in the SS '86 line. Snarl was oddly left out of the film for some reason.
Dam you for the rabbit hole this opened.

Best answer I could find the script indicated 4 not 5 Dinobots. (Mistake #1)

During the Dev attack rumble falls on swoop (given everything that is happening this might have been the death meant for Snarl.) but they screwed up the dinobot number, 4 not 5 so Swoop is in the rest of the film while Snarl is included in 1 or 2 shots after the battle & mistakenly included in a Quintasain ship.

Given the speed they were making the animation at, it’s likely the mistake would cost more to redo/fix so it was left as is.

Because of this Snarl is left alive for season 3 & other media.

Fun fact a lot of the autobot city attack was animated before season 2 designs were finalized, so that is the reason we see few season 2 characters & Metroplex was the wrong color. none of the season 3 characters are written with pre defined vehicle modes since they didn’t know that until the toys were finalized.

Reactions: pcsguy88