Goldbug

BND
Mar 15, 2011
Smallville, IL
goldbug.yolasite.com

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Exactly. Was that ever a TF character or just some random diaclone repaint? TT is just pulling these obscure figures out of the japanese ether, slapping a badge and cringe-worthy name on them, and expecting people to shell out.

The red one is supposed to be female, right? I'm surprised her name isn't Aunt Flo.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
FYI, speaking of gobots, I'm all over the machine robo pseudo-gobot figures. They are cool as hell, even though there are only about 6 gobots I could identify by name. The only negative I can see is that since it's not based on US gobots, the figures don't scale with one another quite like we'd imagine, i.e. Eagle Robo (i.e. Leader-1) is noticeably larger than Bike Robo (i.e. Cy-Kill) because they aren't the leaders in the the other anime.

Eddie should like them because the alt modes, while not perfectly scaled, appear to be following some semblance of scale. I guess we'll know more as future figures are revealed.

I was actually checking them out. They look super cool, but i don't need another collection. :grumpy:

I know a lot of them by looks, but couldn't name a one of them. Hearing a name i can recognize it, but pointing out who is who? No chance in hell.

We had a bunch when we were kids that i didn't even realize were Go-Bots until i googled some images. The one i recall most is the tan pontoon plane.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I know the top four good guys and top four bad guys. Beyond that, I might recognize a name if someone told me, but that's it. I'm not really a big Gobot guy. Still, they're awesome little figures in the large scout / small deluxe range.

Coptur holds a special place as my first transforming robot. Before TF, before I knew that there were good and evil gobots, I just picked up a neat robot that turned into a chopper. I'll never forget it, I bought it at a Big K (a southern chain of stores eventually gobbled up by WM, nothing to do with k-mart). It was on a display right at the beginning of the one of the main isles near the entrance, not the endcap, just the start of the isle on the left-hand side. Had tons of them and my little brain could not process all I was seeing. But helicopters are cool. He was the hero of many toy battles. I still have him in a junk drawer somewhere, but all the metal-vac has worn off, he's floppy as hell, his rotors are missing, and I think one of his arms broke off. Needless to say, I got my $3 worth.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I hate you guys for reminding me of Warbotron 01. I get my bonus check on Friday and after seeing pics of Bruticus assembled and next to MP Prime, I'm growing weak. There's a used one on ebay for $350 that has the waist and ankle upgrades already...

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Don't do it! Apparently the WuKong versions are of similar quality and fix a few issues. Plus they're cheaper. But Not-Onslaught from WK isn't out yet.

Then there are the Machine Boy versions that are supposedly higher quality and MUCH cheaper, like $20/limb. Problem is, they come in garish overly saturated colors. I'm holding out for MB versions in G1 colors.

When you can buy a better set for $100-$250, no amount of discount on the real thing is gonna cut it.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Thanks. WuKongs are not really available from my research and I stumbled across one of the MB's on ebay. Since the few available WK's out their seem to be the same price as the originals, I figured might as well go with the original. I'll have to set some cash aside and just wait for WuKong to sell a complete set.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
The WK limbs are available from Uncle Billy a bit cheaper than officials. But Onslaught isn't out yet.

Shop warbotron online Gallery - Buy warbotron for unbeatable low prices on AliExpress.com

But yeah, I prefer to wait for one or both of the KO sets to be complete. Regardless, it makes me glad I decided not to be an early adopter at full price. I can only assume that Warbo Computron will get similar attention that should drive down prices.

Goldbug

BND
Mar 15, 2011
Smallville, IL
goldbug.yolasite.com
Exactly. Was that ever a TF character or just some random diaclone repaint? TT is just pulling these obscure figures out of the japanese ether, slapping a badge and cringe-worthy name on them, and expecting people to shell out.

The red one is supposed to be female, right? I'm surprised her name isn't Aunt Flo.

They were never their own characters.
red Tracks was just that Tracks
They retconned them to have names etc

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I fully expect all these combiners to get MP'd...eventually. Picking up The WB version feels like picking up Hercules at this point.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Swindle is a great character. I would argue he's by far the best character of any member of any combiner team, simply because he has an identity outside of said team. I don't recall any others really having much impact on the lore besides "I'm a left arm, and I'm impulsive and brave" type bio-filler nonsense.

As his name suggest, he's portrayed as a sneaky, backstabbing, double-dealing, contraband-acquiring, survivor. Imagine Starscream minus the bravado and ego, just the duplicitous part. I don't really care about the other four, but anytime Swindle shows up in one of the comics, I get intrigued because I know it's more than, "Oh, they're obviously going to combine soon for some arbitrary reason."

TL;DR - Swindle is the guy who could get you information/cigarettes in prison.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Well, I just ordered FT Sludge to complete my dinos (unless a spectacular one makes me want to replace OS Grimmy). I don't even like dinobots... they're so incredibly stupid. But FT's renditions are just too cool. I was perfectly content skipping them all, but when black friday deals came around, I snagged the first three on some pretty solid sales. Of course I had to get the fourth one. Stupid dinos (shakes fist).:shakefist:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'm no dino fan either. I was tempted for a second, but I came to my senses. Phew!

Got Sphinx today, finally. Just as wonderful as i expected. So hefty!

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I'm no dino fan either. I was tempted for a second, but I came to my senses. Phew!

Got Sphinx today, finally. Just as wonderful as i expected. So hefty!

Sphinx is right up there with several 3P figures where he looks about 99% legit. For the time being, he works quite well. I can't even look at the other figure. It looks like it's made of Legos and K'Nex or something. Erector set?

As for the dinobots, I've always loved them, dumbfucks or not. For the longest time they were the only autobot muscle so as a kid, I was obsessed with them. Plus, dinosaurs!

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
That's the interesting thing about TFs. They're having a civil war that includes pretty much everyone. You can have dumbfuck muscle guys. And while those characters irritate me, their inclusion is somewhat logical when you're fighting for survival and it's all-hands-on-deck. And I'm sure they provide some comic relief along the way too.

Whereas, when they try shit like that with GIJoe (Bazooka, Tollbooth), it's just sad. How would a functionally retarded guy get on a team of elite soldiers and handed heavy ordinance?

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Maybe. While nice looking, I find the giga dinos to be just too friggin huge. FT dinos are large, and giga is teetering on absurd.

It all comes down to your own interpretation of size, as the toon sometimes showed dinos being slightly larger than prime (less than half-a-head) and sometimes significantly larger than prime (2+ heads). I always defaulted to the toys where grimlock and prime were roughly the same size. Clearly giga leans the other way.

Large dinos creates another issue in my head though, and that's the idea that the dinobots nemesis was clearly devastator. But tremendously huge dinos makes it such that even one or two of them would have no trouble mopping up a top heavy gestalt. Smaller dinos make it a bit more of a fair fight.

Clearly I've given this far too much thought. :fuckit:

Attachments

• th (3).jpg
    th (3).jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 005uQqvdjw1ee1p2g9bbdj30av09oq3s.jpg
    005uQqvdjw1ee1p2g9bbdj30av09oq3s.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 26

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Sphinx is right up there with several 3P figures where he looks about 99% legit. For the time being, he works quite well. I can't even look at the other figure. It looks like it's made of Legos and K'Nex or something. Erector set?

To me, he just looks, not MP. The alt mode, yeah...the bot mode, noooooooo. He's like classics or something?

As for the dinobots, I've always loved them, dumbfucks or not. For the longest time they were the only autobot muscle so as a kid, I was obsessed with them. Plus, dinosaurs!

I always did, and still do, get hung up on the disguise. Dinosaurs, let alone metal ones, are NOT a good modern disguise. Not to mention that even if dinos were around, the Dinobots dino modes are terribly underscaled for a dinosaur, making the disguise still terrible.

But, if i were to pick up a set, I'd be the largest ones available. Ya know, for scale. F%$# the toon and toys! :D

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Maybe. While nice looking, I find the giga dinos to be just too friggin huge. FT dinos are large, and giga is teetering on absurd.

It all comes down to your own interpretation of size, as the toon sometimes showed dinos being slightly larger than prime (less than half-a-head) and sometimes significantly larger than prime (2+ heads). I always defaulted to the toys where grimlock and prime were roughly the same size. Clearly giga leans the other way.

Large dinos creates another issue in my head though, and that's the idea that the dinobots nemesis was clearly devastator. But tremendously huge dinos makes it such that even one or two of them would have no trouble mopping up a top heavy gestalt. Smaller dinos make it a bit more of a fair fight.

Clearly I've given this far too much thought. :fuckit:

Overall I agree with your assessment. For me it just comes down to Dinos: Bigger = Better. As long as they aren't proportionally goofy as fuck, I'd prefer them on the larger size and Giga fits the bill.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Here's an odd request. Anyone have an alternator Swindle in good condition they'll dump for cheap? My gf has a 2000 yellow jeep and now wants him after she saw pics.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I got bored and went hunting today. Have not chased anything down in 5yrs, so it was quite fun and wasted the entire afternoon. One more piece to go, some Perfect Effect hands/feet and Scramble Core joint extenders and I'll have my good enough Bruticus. Then I shall start the detail painting.

The limbs are surprisingly solid figures in both modes. I'm actually satisfied. Onslaught is a fucking mess though.

Attachments

• IMAG0867.jpg
    IMAG0867.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Found Blastoff today.

I do not get the bitching about this combiner online. Maybe it's because they look like square apes in pictures, but Bruticus looks pretty damn good in person, especially the colors. For an off the shelf product, this thing is miles ahead of any previous offerings considering 4 of the 5 figures have 2 solid modes and the combiner ratchet system is pretty brilliant.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
And gun.

I should have the feet, hands and extension ports for the knees and shoulders this week to give him some height and added flexibility. I have to say I'm quite satisfied with the outcome for $105 and a couple hours of painting. True I have never had a 3rd party (or first party for that matter) combiner, but I know I'd never lay a paintbrush on a $300-$500 figure. This way I got something to hunt over my long weekend, a paint project and a big bad robot to fuck around with without fear of breaking.

(Notice I'm glossing over the $70 in add-on parts in the mail to make him truly nice. ;) )

Attachments

• IMAG0874.jpg
    IMAG0874.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 8

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I like how something good is said about retail Hasbro and everyone scatters like cockroaches. I expected nothing less. :lmao:

Wait until you see what else I bought this weekend and am convincing myself is good enough. Eddie will probably blow. :eddieism:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
CW figures appear to be great toys. I buy them for my son and he really likes them. But my 41 year-old manchild self just can't tolerate the corners they cut. Everything is hollow. Sure G1 figures were hollow, but they at least had the decency to enclose the hollowness so you couldn't see it. Now it seems perfectly acceptable for every arm and leg to be visibly 100% hollow from obvious angles.

It's like how contractors now build houses that only have brick on three sides. WTF. The cost of doing it right vs announcing to the world that you are half-assing your product. Why not put up a sign that says "If we do something this obvious, imagine what corners we cut that you CAN'T see!" It's not the end of the world for play toys but a major deal-breaker for my display shelf.

My son has Bruticus, but he doesn't see nearly as much action as Devastator. Devy just appears far more coherent, likely because the matching colors make him seem like a single character rather than random guys stuck together. Plus he's bigger, which is a major draw for a nine year old.

Alex loves the reissue G1 trypticon too. He's motorized and terrorizes the angry birds worse than the pigs ;)

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I like how something good is said about retail Hasbro and everyone scatters like cockroaches. I expected nothing less. :lmao:

Wait until you see what else I bought this weekend and am convincing myself is good enough. Eddie will probably blow. :eddieism:

It's not that we're scattering, it's just that our experience with retail hasbro stuff is pretty limited. It seems like most of us have moved on from CHUGs to higher end MP and 3P MP stuff, so retail hasbro products are genuinely off our radar. If it weren't for having kids, I'd be ignoring CW and TR completely. Not that it's bad, but it's just not what us G1 nostalgia wanks are into anymore.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I haven't bought retail Hasbro TFs since Alternators. :wave:

That's a lie, I got some of the US MP repainted at TRU and Classics Hound. But even then that was years ago. They look too much like toys.

Now if I had kids, then sure. I'd be buying them for 'em. But it's not for me. 3P-MP or TT-MP for me!

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I bought a couple of early leader movie toys, but these are definitely the first non-MP retail toys I uave bought since. I agree with the hollow legs on the deluxe figure's legs (which are always covered with a hinged flap on MP's), but thankfully the combined form erases that concern.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It's not that we're scattering, it's just that our experience with retail hasbro stuff is pretty limited. It seems like most of us have moved on from CHUGs to higher end MP and 3P MP stuff, so retail hasbro products are genuinely off our radar. If it weren't for having kids, I'd be ignoring CW and TR completely. Not that it's bad, but it's just not what us G1 nostalgia wanks are into anymore.

For me, I just simply don't like the way it looks. "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.". *COUGH*Cheapandterriblyproportioned*COUGH*

I haven't bought retail Hasbro TFs since Alternators.

I haven't bought any since, ever? I mean, when i was a kid my parents bought me some. I think the last TF i ever got was Jetfire. I had such a huge boner for that toy.

But yeah, it just doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. Not even the teensiest tinsiest bit. Hasbro's retail stuff looks like el cheapo Big Lots stuff. And since G1, I don't recall it looking G1. It looks "modern". The alts are updated. :talktothehand:

Goldbug

BND
Mar 15, 2011
Smallville, IL
goldbug.yolasite.com
CW figures appear to be great toys. I buy them for my son and he really likes them. But my 41 year-old manchild self just can't tolerate the corners they cut. Everything is hollow. Sure G1 figures were hollow, but they at least had the decency to enclose the hollowness so you couldn't see it. Now it seems perfectly acceptable for every arm and leg to be visibly 100% hollow from obvious angles.

It's like how contractors now build houses that only have brick on three sides. WTF. The cost of doing it right vs announcing to the world that you are half-assing your product. Why not put up a sign that says "If we do something this obvious, imagine what corners we cut that you CAN'T see!" It's not the end of the world for play toys but a major deal-breaker for my display shelf.

Indeed! Even on the movie G.I. Joe vehicles like Ghost Hawk II big hollow space under the wings.