TATTOO PARLOR 1944!!! DIO

RED

MY M-1 DOES MY TALKIN'
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
South of Atlanta---North of Macon
Hey yall!!! Here is some more pics of my August banner entry. I talked to RICK a while back about not havein' time anymore to set-up dios---he told me to try settin' 1 up in the garage and work on it a little at a time like he does. So I took his advice and worked on this dio for over a month. I liked what I was seein' from some of the forum members with their CITY/TOWN dios and thought Id give it a try.
The dio is nothing more than a couple of Marines checkin' out a Tattoo Parlor in Honolulu while on leave. I named it EDs after my late uncle who got a tattoo in Honolulu while on leave from the Navy in the late 50s early 60s. His tattoo looked alot like a Sailor Jerry tattoo---but Ill never know if it was or not. Thanks---RED---

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

EDIT: Take a moment to read the Q&A with RED about the dio http://www.fighting118th.com/2012/08/05/diorama-tattoo-parlor-1944/
MB

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Hol-leee-shite!!! That is effin' insane RED! Where did you find those kid figures? This is one of the most detailed set ups you may have done to date.

RED

MY M-1 DOES MY TALKIN'
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
Hol-leee-shite!!! That is effin' insane RED! Where did you find those kid figures? This is one of the most detailed set ups you may have done to date.

Hey brother!!! Thanks:proposetoast: The girl and old man came in a box set with 2 other boy/man figures from TRU. These 2 are the best of the lot. The guy givein' the tattoo is a IJ MUTT with a IJ young Indy head. Yep---I wanted alot of detail and I think I could have added more but Im ready to move on. I would have been done a long time ago if I didnt have to build most of the stuff in this dio. Hell---I even did alot of custom work on the figures. Thanks again---RED---

rds13601

A Waste of Space!!!!
Aug 2, 2011
Biggest dump on earth
As I pick my jaw up off from from the floor all I can say is that your dio is a real piece of art with all the small details. Absolutely F*cking Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Anachronistic DC broad figure aside it think it's aces, Huge propers for this one, RED.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I stand corrected. So much like those lame DC 4" figure.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Sure, but she's anachronistic here. What the hell is he gonna do, though? Not like there's period-correct options.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
That's crazy RED!...I've never seen a dio so well detailed...where did you get all that tiny stuff?

The framed tattoos are killer...simple print outs?

The Willoughbian

Proletariat Art Threat
Jun 24, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Awesome Dio! Very cool details. While we are on the subject of anachronisms, production of Makers Mark started in 1954. That was the only one that really stood out to me.

RED

MY M-1 DOES MY TALKIN'
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
That's crazy RED!...I've never seen a dio so well detailed...where did you get all that tiny stuff?

The framed tattoos are killer...simple print outs?

Thanks yall!!!:thumbsup: Most of the tiny stuff is from other 1:18 scale lines. Theres a mix of PotC, PTE, 21stC, BBI, G.I.Joe, MiB, IJ, and the rest is stuff I made or picked up along the way. Your right Eddie about the tattoo prints---I Googled Sailor Jerry Flash art and printed them to the size I wanted and built the frame out of craft sticks. The glass is the plastic from blister packs and such. The pencil is a nail I cut the head off of and painted. The whisky bottles are wooden dow rods that I turned on my electric screwdriver with files and sandpaper---aka A poormans lathe. Thanks again---RED---

RED

MY M-1 DOES MY TALKIN'
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
Awesome Dio! Very cool details. While we are on the subject of anachronisms, production of Makers Mark started in 1954. That was the only one that really stood out to me.

Really---I didnt know that. I used the lable because 1 it printed out good enough to read and 2 I like Makers Mark.:thumbsup: I did the same thing with the bottle next to it---Bullet Bourbon---It added color and I really like it too. I knew bullet bourbon wasnt around back then but the bottle was easy to make and I thought it would look good up there. Anything else is just useing what I got, not being able to get what I need, or makeing it myself.
To be honest, its pretty hard to find stuff to use for a work place such as a tattoo parlor and make it look real. I went with a tattoo parlor/ antique store look. The ideal is a parlor that looks like it is owned by a retired sailor and he has alot of stuff he collected from around the world on display. Thats why I used all the IJ freebies and weapons from the PotC---to use up space. With that being said I used what I thought would work and look good.:proposetoast: Thanks again---RED---

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
I see a ton of dio stuff thatt jesse could cast up for us...What do you say Red?

RED

MY M-1 DOES MY TALKIN'
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
My favorite piece.

This dio is Just incredible. Fresh concept, so damn original.

That was a treat.

Thanks brother---Im glad you like it.:thumbsup: I wanted to do something new and with all the town/city dios popin' up I thought Id give it a try. It did work out pretty easy like you said about leavein' the dio up and workin' on it a little at a time. I plan to do a few more in the garage because I dont know when I get outside to do them.Thanks again---RED---

Wry1

Enlisted
Jun 7, 2011
holyshit this is awesomeness x10! as a former tattoo artist I dig this more than you could possibly imagine. the oldschool Sailor Jerry flash is an excellent touch, just perfect man.

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
Whatcha got in mind???---RED---

Mostly the little things like the bottles, some of those vases, etc. I've tried finding different things to use from other lines and not having much luck.

RED

MY M-1 DOES MY TALKIN'
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
Mostly the little things like the bottles, some of those vases, etc. I've tried finding different things to use from other lines and not having much luck.

Yeah-Roger that. That was the biggest problem I had with this dio. I looked/asked around and came up empty handed. I had to make alot of stuff that went into it and it can make you not want to make some dios. I know custom figures can take up time but it doesnt compare to the time it takes makein' 7-8 things made from scratch. The biggest problem the 1:18 scale has(for me) is the lack of real lookin' stuff to use in dios. I like to make a dio of a Bar but Im going to have to find alot of 1:18 scale bottles, make them all myself, or come up with something else that looks real enough.---RED---

RED

MY M-1 DOES MY TALKIN'
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
Hey yall!!! Thanks for the kind words and support. Im glad yall like the Q&A with Monkeywrench. I had fun doing it and hope to have the chance to do it again in the future. Thanks again:proposetoast:---RED---

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Looking at this is like looking at the old Highlights books as a kid trying to find objects hidden in a picture.

The cup with a pen
crumpled up papers next to the basket
business card holder

RED

MY M-1 DOES MY TALKIN'
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
Thanks brother for takein' a 2nd look at this dio.:proposetoast: Always nice to see old dios pop back up now and again. I love the Flint custom---Id like to see your take on a dio like the Tattoo Parlor.---RED---