Terminator Future War technical - FINISHED

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I'd like some in-put on this.

Keep in mind that this truck has been exposed to radiation to some extent, but not full-on ground zero type stuff. All, this is in a future where all stuff has to be scavenged to some extent...and while it's not "Mad Max", they have to make do with what's around.

So, I have in mind to use a barricade as a make-shift obstacle catcher. Is that too Mad Max?

The rear bumper of some trucks can either be silver, black, or the same color as the main body, any suggestions which would be better? I'm thinking if it were silver, that the soldiers driving it would probably want to paint over it rather than have a big shiney silver piece of bling giving them away. If this is true, how do I pull off making the bumper look like it's been painted over by hand? But it's not like they're driving around without lights, so a shiney bumper probably isn't going to do anything one way or another. Or should I just get rid of it all together?

I would think they'd want some extra lights on it, probably on top of the cab....yes/no? If yes, do I make them look really rough and utilitarian?

I figured the wind shield was probably the first thing to go after the nuclear shock blast went by...that or being shot at/having all sorts of debris thrown at it. I thought about maybe using a piece of metal mesh over it as a make-shift protective barrier. Again, would this look too Mad Max?

The weapon it will be carrying will be a variant of an M134. The one you see will have some changes made to it.

I also plan on changing out the wheels as the ones it has now are not very heavy duty looking...anyone know where I can score a set of off-road type wheels without having to buy a whole extra vehicle just for the tires?

I know "Christmas green" might seem an odd choice for the body color, but I thought painting it black or Od green would be too obvious...it's not like they have a lot of paint booths set up in the war torn future!

Any other thoughts or ideas are welcomed!

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Spikes are too Mad Max. Welding two car bodies together is too Mad Max. Catch fences over the wind shield is kosher.

The bumpers are personal preference. Using a ratty, stiff-bristled brush should get you the brush strokes you want. Don't think it'll make a bit of difference going against Terminators with the optics package they have.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Adrien, pictures should be in the first post...they don't show for you?

K, gotcha on both comments.

Vindicare86

TANSTAAFL
Apr 4, 2011
Germantown, MD
They're not showing for me either, but I'm not sure if it's the work netwrok that's blocking it, I'll take a look when I get home. Where are they being hosted?

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
Nope, no pics in your post, and I get an Invalid Attachment error when I try to View the broken pic icon.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Huh, no pics here, either. I just thought he hadn't posted any.

Last edited:

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
These should be the clickable icons, but those haven't been working for me lately.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
To be fair I can't even see my own avatar.

EDIT:

I can see the links in your post above mine, but normally there would be thumbnails (duh)

NSA, you been fooling with stuff again?

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
If you click on them, the pictures should be visible. I know that's probably another "Duh", but I mean that option is at least working.

Last edited:

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Joy! In the photo of the truck bed you can see where I've added some rocky debris and a light grey wash to simulate rocks and dust.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Wow! Lots of nice wear work going on. I like the busted out glass and rusted thru areas. You planning on adding a rust color effect in those areas?

Got an airbrush? A light misting of a very light tan would simulate dust well. Says the guy who still needs to test out that theory on his uparmored Humvee. :D

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Yeah, I plan on adding rust to those areas, I just needed to get the base coat down first.

I do have an air brush, but it's a PITA to get it up and running just to add dust...BUT...it would be the easiest way to go about it.

Apache26

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
That looks great! I too am particularly impressed with the shot-out rear window in the back. Do you plan on replacing the front windshield with armored slats or an armored plate with vision ports cut out of it?

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I had thought about doing the armor plate with slots cut out of it as you mentioned, but I figured that would cut down too much on the drivers vision. Plus there's probably not a whole lot a piece of iron or steel would do to protect any occupants from plasma weapon fire.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Well, I took a look around the internet and look what I found...images of the vehicles used in T2.

And what do they show us? The trucks have what look like metal sheets with slots cut out covering some of the windows!

Looks like I might be doing some of those after all. And now I wonder if I should remove the tailgate? I worked on the weathering some more last night and really toned down the green, I used a scrummbling technique with some greys and black and really worked it in there. Throw in some washes and paint chipping and I think it's starting to take shape.

Last edited:

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Did some more work. Cut the tailgate off and added more weathering, attached M134 mount. I don't know if you can see it, but in the pictures of the interior, I added holes to the upholstery of the seats and added cotton to simulate the "stuffing" coming out.

Had to cut the rear bumper off when I removed the tailgate as doing so left a huge gap in the body. It was either lower the truck bed, which would in turn throw off the interior of the cab and the windows....or just cut off the bumper and raise it a little. There's still a small gap, but this was better than having to re-do the cab interior all around. Besides, it gives it a little more "battlefield tested" look.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The rusted out fender flare and rocker panel are nice touches.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Nope. Nobody got time for body work when the world ends. Keep it running until it falls apart or can't be made to run anymore.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Got the M134 from Maurader a few days ago, removed the Predator-style hand grip with trigger and attached spade grips. Right now it's just held in place with a bit of wire, the ammo can, battery and ammo feed are loose. Added screen mesh to simulate that heavy metal grid type stuff you see on walk ways around refineries and such.

You can also see how much the wheels that came with it suck, but I was able to add some height to them so the whole thing looks a little more rugged.

Next up: adding metal plates on the driver and passenger doors and perhaps where the gas tank would be.
A roll bar with spot lights.

I had thought about having metal plates covering the windows with just a slot in them, but I worry that would make it impossible to see any figures inside, and really, isn't that part of the point of having a vehicle?

Last edited:

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Just about there. I think all I have left is figuring out the wheels and then making the whole thing look like it's covered in dried dirt. Maybe add a few extras like a fuel can, shovel, maybe a rolled up tarp?

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
There are a few ways to go about getting the dirt effect. If you want actual caked-on "mud" you might make some salt clay. My issues with the M134 aside, I think I'd move the can to the front side of the mounting post. Gerry cans and a tarp are also good ideas.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I've got some stuff you add to paint to give it texture...I can't remember what it's called, but that should do the trick of caked on mud. I just have to get the wheels sorted before I do that so the color matches both on the wheels and on the body.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
looking really good! The welded on steel looks great, especially the "weld".

Maybe mix up the rust coloring areas? Some darker shades around the very edges of the holes?

Deslock

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2014
Tennessee
www.darksidealliance.com
I've got some stuff you add to paint to give it texture...I can't remember what it's called, but that should do the trick of caked on mud. I just have to get the wheels sorted before I do that so the color matches both on the wheels and on the body.

Sir, I would recommend Liquitex "Basics" coarse texture gel; product #104103. You might want to try medium texture. But I think the coarse should be perfect for this scale. Just paint it on, let it dry, paint it, and weather it.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
looking really good! The welded on steel looks great, especially the "weld".

Maybe mix up the rust coloring areas? Some darker shades around the very edges of the holes?

I can try that.

Sir, I would recommend Liquitex "Basics" coarse texture gel; product #104103. You might want to try medium texture. But I think the coarse should be perfect for this scale. Just paint it on, let it dry, paint it, and weather it.

I think that's what I have now, although I'm not sure how coarse it is.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Why thank you!

I have more photos but I can't upload them. I've run my limit of photo attachments it seems.

Almost forgot, I have Digler to thank for the wheels, his trade really helped finish this thing and pull it all together, THANKS DIGLER!

Last edited: