the official unofficial fix your skystriker(arah and modern) wing thread/how-to

Wild weasel

needs killer whale parts!
Jun 9, 2011
Disclaimer: If you do not have the skill or tools or break something during this, I am not at fault :) Don't do this if you think you can't(it's not hard), but I don't want to be the person at fault for somebody ruining a perfectly fine toy.

With that said, please feel free to post this on any other forums :)

This is pretty basic. I couldn't get the fuselage top and bottom to come apart on either of mine(top and botom come off easily on original), but...

step 1:unscrew the fuselage(about 10 screws on bottom of fuselage)

step 2:pull at the wing root to partially seperate the fuselage top and bottom and pull the inner wing pieces out. If 1983 mold remove the top and bottom fuselage halves and remove wing.

step 3:clip or cut the triangular gear pieces off the wing piece with A: sprue cutters(what I usedf) B: wire cutters(next best choice) C: Hot exacto blade(last resort)

step 4: (omit if 1983 mold)Place a ring of tape inside the ring of the wing root. Not required for the original as it fits fairly snug but the modern wings will flop around if not done.

step 5:Place wings in the fuselage and screw it up:D but don't screw it up

step 6:fly it around your yard(warning:toy does not fly, use your imagination :) )

BTW the wings will pivot independently of eachother but are very easy to synchonize for display

the pics:

to show that the wings move seperately:

If you have any questions please ask

Last edited:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Hmm, I may have to see if I can take mine apart... I really wish they'd figured out a mechanism that made the wings fold out together, separate from the landing gear. I feel like at some point, I'm going to break something on it regardless.

Also, I think I'm going to glue on the damned missiles, because the 2 large ones fall off if you so much as breathe. Write up a fix on that one! :)

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
How to fix your missiles:take a piece of masking tape and put it on the top of the missile peg and fold it down the sides. Now place the misile on to see how much excess you have. remove missile and trim the excess. Put missile on, it shouldn't drop, atleast as often. Btw I just tried this after reading your comment, so don't know how it works for long term, but from past experience it should work A-OK

After trimming excess:

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
also, mandingo, you should do the wing fix(you'll thank me afterwards). You'll be putting some stress on the fuselage to remove and put back the wing, but the fuselage is very sturdy, I felt completely comfortable stretching the plastic as much as I did. Also, no stress marks either. The wings also are very easy to line up even when not connected. That won't be an issue.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
looks easy enough...

so theres no way to remove the mech that connects the wheels and wings together?...it'd be nice if the wings still opened/closed together

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I imagine you could build an armature to operate the wings in tandem.

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
looks easy enough...

so theres no way to remove the mech that connects the wheels and wings together?...it'd be nice if the wings still opened/closed together

its hard to describe the mechanism,but it is a bar with gears on both sides(connects to the wing gears) with 3 slots that fit the landing gear. Moving the lever moves the gears and pushes or pulls the landing gears. Sadly there is no way besides gutting it and scratchbuilding a whole new mechanism.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Hmm, I grabbed a second one... I may crack that one open and see about "fixing" it with styrene parts. I have some thick sheets that should work, theoretically.

And no, Eddie or Blood, I probably won't need the extra Ace.

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
IMO it wouldn't be worth the hastle. You'll see what I mean about seperating the top half from the bottom, I couldn't get it to work on either of mine

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
To get into all the guts to scratchbuild new ones, yes. Just try what I did, you'll be happy with it. I couldn't get the top and bottom halves to come apart, but I had just enough space in the center to pop out the inner wing piece.

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
Btw, if anybody is interested in the pheonix missile(the largest of them all) fix with the masking tape, its still not as good as the original but they don't fall of unless you bump them or drop the jet ;)

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
The single, bigass one? Nah, that one stays on just fine. Honestly, ALL of mine stay on just fine, except for the biggest dual set. I have to break out the scotch tape tonight and try that. I guess superglue layering would work as well and be more permanent, right?

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Imagine that, the old one working better. Shows how much I know, I figured it was a "big bomb" that go kablooey or somethin'.

Did you put the "warning/instructional" stickers that had all the fine print about fuel or whatever on yours? Where are they supposed to go?

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
I didn't see them on the instrustion guide and to the best of my knowledge the original doesn't have that sticker either. Same with the pneumatic release one. I just took two of the ordinance and fuel ones and stuck them on the removable panels

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I didn't put the panel removal stickers where they said to, either. And the spot for the one jet mode sticker was on top of a spot that no longer exists. From the original to the new one, why'd they move the slider track farther? It looks longer than the vintage. Know what I'm talking about?

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
I didn't even notice that(I left of the lever decals as they are kind of an eyesore IMO. I went with the more realistic decals for mine). After comparing to the priginal, the aft flight pos.(wings out) decal space is like twice the size as the arah.

Last edited:

Oliverbox

I Ride with CLAYMORE!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Alexandria, VA
First, I'd like to sincerely thank Wild Weasel for this thread. I wass wondering about this issue, and this is a great thread/set of instructions. I do have a few questions...

1. Could you post a picture of Step 4? I don't do a lot of this sort of work, and I'm trying to mod the new Sky Striker... so I'm pretty nervous, and I'd like to know exactly what I'm supposed to be doing.

2. Is there any way to keep the wings synchronized? Obviously it works this way, but it's nice to have them linked and working together. I would prefer if when "flying it around my yard" one wing doesn't flop around independant of the other.

Thanks very much.

A.V.A.C.

Beezlebuberator
Mar 16, 2011
A laboratory trash bin.
I hope to see this iconic jet, just as soon as all my Targets sell their Roc Night Ravens for $39.99. I just might see a steel brigade and hawk as soon as all the Storm Shadows and dukes sell out at the bargain price of $8.39.

Yep, Target, er Off-Target. :(

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
First, I'd like to sincerely thank Wild Weasel for this thread. I wass wondering about this issue, and this is a great thread/set of instructions. I do have a few questions...

1. Could you post a picture of Step 4? I don't do a lot of this sort of work, and I'm trying to mod the new Sky Striker... so I'm pretty nervous, and I'd like to know exactly what I'm supposed to be doing.

2. Is there any way to keep the wings synchronized? Obviously it works this way, but it's nice to have them linked and working together. I would prefer if when "flying it around my yard" one wing doesn't flop around independant of the other.

Thanks very much.

this shows the end result of what was done for step 4 (I just put a piece of blue painters masking tape on the inside hole for the swing wing feature. Just put the tacky side up against the plastic and wrap it until one end hits the other{although in the pic the ends aren't touching, but I used spare pieces of tape for the pic, then found out it needed just a tiny bit more tension, therefore needing more tape}.)

I can take another pic(would be of 83 striker for ease though) if you want

As for question 2: If you could seperate the top fuselage half from the bottom it could be done. With that said you would have to gut all the mechanics of it and scratchbuild your own. That'd be one hell of a challeng and probably wouldn't stand time to well. IMO it wouldn't be worth the extra time and effort to do it. If you put the masking tape inside like I posted. the wings will have enough tension that they will stay in any position you would like them to, so you can have them synchronized when you fool around with them without the wings moving out of position, but you will have to move the wings one at a time. Well worth it though.

Hope that helped, and if not please let me know :)

Last edited:

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
I hope to see this iconic jet, just as soon as all my Targets sell their Roc Night Ravens for $39.99. I just might see a steel brigade and hawk as soon as all the Storm Shadows and dukes sell out at the bargain price of $8.39.

Yep, Target, er Off-Target. :(
I heard that kokomo will have skystrikers for tommorrow ;) Just what I've heard though, no guarantee

Oliverbox

I Ride with CLAYMORE!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Alexandria, VA
this shows the end result of what was done for step 4 (I just put a piece of blue painters masking tape on the inside hole for the swing wing feature. Just put the tacky side up against the plastic and wrap it until one end hits the other{although in the pic the ends aren't touching, but I used spare pieces of tape for the pic, then found out it needed just a tiny bit more tension, therefore needing more tape}.)

I can take another pic(would be of 83 striker for ease though) if you want

As for question 2: If you could seperate the top fuselage half from the bottom it could be done. With that said you would have to gut all the mechanics of it and scratchbuild your own. That'd be one hell of a challeng and probably wouldn't stand time to well. IMO it wouldn't be worth the extra time and effort to do it. If you put the masking tape inside like I posted. the wings will have enough tension that they will still in any position you would like them to, so you can have them synchronized when you fool around with them without the wings moving out of position, but you will have to move the wings one at a time. Well worth it though.

Hope that helped, and if not please let me know :)

That's a HUGE help, thanks. I understand what you're saying about where to put the tape in Step 4 now. Thanks very much. I'm nervous about trying it, but I'm really eager to make this work. I've stocked up on Sky Strikers at Targets and on Ebay. My brother and I collect as a team... our collection is shared, and our Joe Air Force/Naval Aviation just got a HUGE boost. I bought 12 Sky Strikers!

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
That's a HUGE help, thanks. I understand what you're saying about where to put the tape in Step 4 now. Thanks very much. I'm nervous about trying it, but I'm really eager to make this work. I've stocked up on Sky Strikers at Targets and on Ebay. My brother and I collect as a team... our collection is shared, and our Joe Air Force/Naval Aviation just got a HUGE boost. I bought 12 Sky Strikers!

Very nice score on these! I'm going for 12 also, as I'm going to have 2 of my flaggs up for display soon, and I can probably get 5 of these on each then a few to fly with my other aircraft. You've gotta have an awesome collection(I can't imagine double my collection, that'd be awesome!!!!) Also, I trimmed the excess tape so it was flush with the ridge/ring around the top and bottom(you'll get what I mean once you open the fuse and get the wings out) with an exacto. You'll also think you'll be putting more stress than you'd want to on the skystrikers to get the wings out, but there is no stress mark on either of mine(which I wouldn't have expected either though) and all was fine. So feel free to pull away!

Oliverbox

I Ride with CLAYMORE!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Alexandria, VA
Very nice score on these! I'm going for 12 also, as I'm going to have 2 of my flaggs up for display soon, and I can probably get 5 of these on each then a few to fly with my other aircraft. You've gotta have an awesome collection(I can't imagine double my collection, that'd be awesome!!!!) Also, I trimmed the excess tape so it was flush with the ridge/ring around the top and bottom(you'll get what I mean once you open the fuse and get the wings out) with an exacto. You'll also think you'll be putting more stress than you'd want to on the skystrikers to get the wings out, but there is no stress mark on either of mine(which I wouldn't have expected either though) and all was fine. So feel free to pull away!

Yeah, 12=3 Flights, and that's what we're going for. My brother flew for the Air Force, so he pretty much handles all planning for our Joe and Cobra Air Forces. I was in the Army, so he leaves most of the planning of our Land based forces to me. We both chip in and do what we can. His wife isn't quite as understanding as mine is, but we make it work. You should see our Tanks... we literally have dozens of Patriot Grizzlys (Desert and Woodland).

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
Must...see...pics... :) I'd love to see that!! So what'd your bro fly? I'm gonna join the air force in a few years myself. So would he have joined up again if he had a chance to re-do things?

Oliverbox

I Ride with CLAYMORE!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Alexandria, VA
Must...see...pics... :) I'd love to see that!! So what'd your bro fly? I'm gonna join the air force in a few years myself. So would he have joined up again if he had a chance to re-do things?

To tell the truth, he had a really bad experience and he still has a "love/hate" sort of feeling about the Air Force. The Air Force screwed him over, big time...

It's a long story, but let me say this about my kid brother: he is one of the toughest, smartest guys I've ever known. He's a patriot, and he loved the Air Force. All he ever wanted to do since he was a kid was fly. He's wanted to be a pilot since we were flying Sky Strikers and X-30's as kids.

He was the Valadictorian of his high school class. 3 sport letterman, Eagle Scout... you get the idea. The kid was a stud. Full, 4-year Air Force ROTC scholarship to anywhere he wanted to go. He chose Mississippi State. We're from Mississippi, my folks went there, and they have a good AFROTC program. He graduated Magna Cum Laude in Accounting and as the Number 1 Cadet in his class. Obviously, he wasn't at Harvard, but majoring in Accounting at any Major University is no small feat.

Here's something you may not know: Every AF Academy Grad can go to flight school if they want to, provided they meet the physical standards (eye sight, etc.), but only the very best AFROTC cadets get a slot to flight school. Pretty much, if you're not the best AFROTC cadet in your class, no way you're going to flight school. Consequently, most pilots in the USAF are Academy grads... ever heard of the "Ring Knockers"? It's the system where Academy grads look out for one another, and nowhere in the military is that system more active than with the USAF pilots. It's an old boy network.

So, while he's in, The Air Force suddenly realized their over budjet: 6,000 Officers over budjet! So their cutting people right and left... and each career field in the USAF is supposed to cut so many people. Guess who the pilots cut? Yep, the non-Academy grads.

My brother was number 2 in his flight school class. Number 2... way ahead of all of the Academy grads (except 1, obviously). He's the only pilot in the history of Moody Air Force base - EVER - to beat the remedial air sickness training known as "The Chair" (most guys quit after 3 days and are dropped from flight school. The record was 5 days before quitting. My brother went 21 days and never quit. The captain in charge of the remedial training had to invent a "Certificate of Graduation" in Microsoft Word just for my brother). My brother loved the Air Force. He was an excellent officer, and a good pilot. And the Ring Knockers kicked him out because they were over budjet.

I was an Army Officer, and I've never seen the Army treat their people that unfairly. It was ridiculous. He's an accountant now. Doing well, and he still wears his leather flight jacket. He's proud of his service, but he's still bitter, because on beautiful days, I catch him looking up at the sky sometimes and he gets a little sad.

So, if you want to fly jets or fixed wing aircraft, I highly encourage you to look to the Navy or Marine Corps. Just my opinion.

But to answer your other question, he flew T-38's... that's what they train on, and that's what he instructed. He still has a little model in his office.

Last edited:

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
I'm kind of hearing the same from everybody. It's just what I know and love. My whole life is surrounded by aviation, so thats why I'm thinking of going AF. Theres just been alot of crap that I know has happened in the service, like for example, my uncle. He was in the army stationed in germany. Somebody he was hanging out with had some weed in their pocket(my uncle had nothing to do with any of it, mind you, he didn't even know any of them had anything). So somebody found out and they were ALL stuck in a german jail. He had to do something(not sure, never asked) to get a dishonorable discharge to get out of the jail. After that experience he was never the same, and he did nothing wrong to begin with, and they f*cked up his whole life. I also know a spec ops guy, he's also convincing me not to join up(he also had a lot of shit go on, he was pretty much begging me not to join). I just have a lot to think about, and I wouldn't commit to anything until I was guarunteed to be a pilot. I can always go civilian like my dad. Who knows, I may go marines or Navy like you said. I Would wait for the f-35s before joining the marines though, no f-in way your gettin me in a flying deathtrap err... harrier, and just don't think I'd like the carrier life in the navy. Who knows, lot to think about, and I have ins with higher up corporate flying to jumpstart civil aviation. I just wanna strap myself in the f-22 though...

Oliverbox

I Ride with CLAYMORE!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Alexandria, VA
I'm kind of hearing the same from everybody. It's just what I know and love. My whole life is surrounded by aviation, so thats why I'm thinking of going AF. Theres just been alot of crap that I know has happened in the service, like for example, my uncle. He was in the army stationed in germany. Somebody he was hanging out with had some weed in their pocket(my uncle had nothing to do with any of it, mind you, he didn't even know any of them had anything). So somebody found out and they were ALL stuck in a german jail. He had to do something(not sure, never asked) to get a dishonorable discharge to get out of the jail. After that experience he was never the same, and he did nothing wrong to begin with, and they f*cked up his whole life. I also know a spec ops guy, he's also convincing me not to join up(he also had a lot of shit go on, he was pretty much begging me not to join). I just have a lot to think about, and I wouldn't commit to anything until I was guarunteed to be a pilot. I can always go civilian like my dad. Who knows, I may go marines or Navy like you said. I Would wait for the f-35s before joining the marines though, no f-in way your gettin me in a flying deathtrap err... harrier, and just don't think I'd like the carrier life in the navy. Who knows, lot to think about, and I have ins with higher up corporate flying to jumpstart civil aviation. I just wanna strap myself in the f-22 though...

Well, I don't want to discourage you from following your dreams. However, when planning for the future (and I mean serious planning about your career), it's always good to aim high, but realize that you may not get all that you're shooting for. F-22 pilots are VERY rare. I'm actually good friends with one here in VA, and it's increadibly tough to get. Plenty of good pilots don't ever get in one. Just getting into Flight School and passing is a big thing. I don't know where you are in life as far as school goes, but how are your grades? How is your athletic participation? Are you in good shape? Are you involved with extra curricular activities like Scouting, Band, Church, after school job, Martial Arts? Bottom line: If you can't get into the Academy or qualify for a 4-year ROTC scholarship, your chances of making it into flight school are minimal. I'm not trying to be a downer, but I know the process pretty well. College is very important. Only officers fly jets... and where you went to school can be hugely important.

Here's some background info on 3 fighter pilots that I know personally.

1. Dave Schmidt - Captain, USAF - F-22 Pilot. USAF Academy, 1st in his class at Flight School. MBA from the University of Washington. Total Stud.

2. Scott Rowe - Major, USAF - F-15. USAF Academy, 1st in his class at Flight School, 1st in his class at Fighter Weapons School (USAF Top Gun). Former Instructor at Fighter Weapons School, and former Presidential escort. Total Stud. When Scott was in High School, he was the Valadictorian, Captain of the Football team, and was a high school All-American baseball player (he had a .468 batting average, and hit 2 homeruns a game). Total Stud.

3. Dave Castill - Lt. Commander, USN - F-18 Super Hornet. Magna Cum Laude, Duke University (Electrical Engineering), 2nd in his class from Flight School. Top Gun graduate. Currently trying out for the Astronaut program with NASA, on loan from the NAVY. Total Stud.

Fighter Pilots are very serious guys, and increadibly high achievers. So if that's what you want, prepare yourself. Focus on getting into the Academy. Even if you want a more normal college experience through ROTC, just making sure you qualify for the Academy is a great way to prepare for college. Run and work out every day. Build your high school resume' like your life depended on it... because if you want your life to be as a fighter pilot, it does.

To put it simply: This goal has to be the focus of your life, and you have to devote yourself to achieving the next step on the way to the final goal.

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
I 100% agree with you on this. I dream of flying the f-22, but chance are I'll be flying 15's and 16's or drones. Out of all the people I know in aviation(Alot) I don't know anybody personally who has put their grubby hands on a raptor. Thats including my dads cousin who is a full bird col. who has broken atleast one world record(fastest climb to 60,000 feet) while flying the f-15. I'm hoping to be able to go to the academy, and the only thing that'll hold me back from that would be the congressional nomination, but I've still got a couple years to take care of that, so I have the time to try and get my name in the hat.

Would you by chance know what Dave does when the f-22's are grounded(they are still grounded after the crash in Alaska, right?). Well besides all the paperwork that all of aviation is hammered with :)

Oliverbox

I Ride with CLAYMORE!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Alexandria, VA
I 100% agree with you on this. I dream of flying the f-22, but chance are I'll be flying 15's and 16's or drones. Out of all the people I know in aviation(Alot) I don't know anybody personally who has put their grubby hands on a raptor. Thats including my dads cousin who is a full bird col. who has broken atleast one world record(fastest climb to 60,000 feet) while flying the f-15. I'm hoping to be able to go to the academy, and the only thing that'll hold me back from that would be the congressional nomination, but I've still got a couple years to take care of that, so I have the time to try and get my name in the hat.

Would you by chance know what Dave does when the f-22's are grounded(they are still grounded after the crash in Alaska, right?). Well besides all the paperwork that all of aviation is hammered with :)

I'll be seeing Dave next weekend, so I'll ask him. I haven't had a chance to talk with him in a while.
About your Congressional Nomination... there are ways around it: you can enlist, or you can join AFROTC. Let me explain...
Normal civialian applicants have to have a nomination from a Senator or Representative. However, for military personnel, they can by-pass that requirement by 2 methods:
1. Enlist. Keep your high school transcripts, and go through Basic Training and whatever else the USAF makes you do. Get to your first assignment and Work hard, do a great job, stand out... then go tell your CO that you're interested in applying for the Academy. With a LTC's recommendation, you can go - there's a special form they fill out for you, and it's done instead of a congressional nomination, the Academy will send it to you when you call them about applying and tell them your situation.

2. Join AFROTC at a regular college: Go to College and do VERY well. You need to pretty much ace everything that first semester. But if you can't do that at a regular school, don't bother with the Academy anyway. Take Aerospace Science or whatever they call AFROTC 101, and get active in that unit... stand out in every area from time spent to the condition of your uniform. The AFROTC commander (LTC) can also fill out the same form on your behalf. It works the same way as the Active Duty applicants.

I've seen it done dozens of times in the Army and I know it works the same for the USAF and the Navy/Marine Corps.

Obviously, those are big hoops to jump through, but if you really want it, and you have trouble with Congress - and that can be a crap shoot - it's a good way to work around the problem.

Another option is to try the Coast Guard Academy. They don't have fighters, but they do have planes and their Academy does not require a Congressional Nomination... it's strictly merit based admission. It's about half the size of the other Academies, and the academics are excellent for that reason... plus I hear the girls are prettier there. ;)

I'll let you know what Dave says.

Last edited:

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
I'll be seeing Dave next weekend, so I'll ask him. I haven't had a chance to talk with him in a while.
About your Congressional Nomination... there are ways around it: you can enlist, or you can join AFROTC. Let me explain...
Normal civialian applicants have to have a nomination from a Senator or Representative. However, for military personnel, they can by-pass that requirement by 2 methods:
1. Enlist. Keep your high school transcripts, and go through Basic Training and whatever else the USAF makes you do. Get to your first assignment and Work hard, do a great job, stand out... then go tell your CO that you're interested in applying for the Academy. With a LTC's recommendation, you can go - there's a special form they fill out for you, and it's done instead of a congressional nomination, the Academy will send it to you when you call them about applying and tell them your situation.

2. Join AFROTC at a regular college: Go to College and do VERY well. You need to pretty much ace everything that first semester. But if you can't do that at a regular school, don't bother with the Academy anyway. Take Aerospace Science or whatever they call AFROTC 101, and get active in that unit... stand out in every area from time spent to the condition of your uniform. The AFROTC commander (LTC) can also fill out the same form on your behalf. It works the same way as the Active Duty applicants.

I've seen it done dozens of times in the Army and I know it works the same for the USAF and the Navy/Marine Corps.

Obviously, those are big hoops to jump through, but if you really want it, and you have trouble with Congress - and that can be a crap shoot - it's a good way to work around the problem.

Another option is to try the Coast Guard Academy. They don't have fighters, but they do have planes and their Academy does not require a Congressional Nomination... it's strictly merit based admission. It's about half the size of the other Academies, and the academics are excellent for that reason... plus I hear the girls are prettier there. ;)

I'll let you know what Dave says.

Thanks, this is really all a great help! I've been thinking about this for a while now. I moved from California back in December, and when I was there I was in AFJROTC. When I moved here(TN.) they only have Army JROTC, which didn't really interest me as much as the aeronautics side of the AFJROTC, but I decided I'll get 3 years of JROTC here as that will help me with the nomination(and a pay grade higher helps too :)). But with that said, if I can't get the recomendation, which of the 2 options you just mentioned would be the better choice. Obviously they can both get me to the same place; the academy; but would either option be easier to get there and would either be better for a career?

Thanks so much!