Toy Fair 2014

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
We're 6 days out, and we'll need a place to drop the news. Until then, are we hoping for any good news or surprises?

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
I'm hoping that Hasbro decides to release some of those figures from the concept vault this year.

The Willoughbian

Proletariat Art Threat
Jun 24, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Need real bad.

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011
thingsatwistedewokwouldsay.blogspot.com
If you want it, it won't be released. if they show something, it may get released depending on if it's popular, then it won't be released. If it's guaranteed to be released, it will be pushed back for several months or a year and then won't get released.

if it's something stupid, it will be rushed to the stores in huge quantities and then poor sales will be blamed on collectors and the cool stuff won't be released.

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
I'm holding out for ToyFair 2016 when a new Canadian startup company called Digler's Devils releases a retail line of 1:18 scale military vehicles.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
All indications are not to get your hopes up on the Joe front.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Might as well drop these here then, although some of you have seen them already:

Top Notch posted these on Facebook in advance of Toy Fair - these are figures from their 1/18 Lost Planet line:

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I'm not expecting much in 1/18th scale. Hopefully we get a few surprises like that Lost Planet line.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'd be surprised if they were under that. Means probably only one for me.

The Willoughbian

Proletariat Art Threat
Jun 24, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
~$20 per figure though again.. estimated.

I'm betting that's the way things are gonna be for any figure that isn't a 5 POA piece of crap with lousy paint apps. We collectors are probably going to have to accept that costs are on the rise unless we want to keep seeing Retaliation Wave 1 quality figures. Not that I like playing Devils Advocate, but I fear the case may be so.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Well, these are low-run boutique figures, not 75K Hasbro figures. Prices like these have always come with that particular territory.

These won't likely be hanging on any b&m retailer's pegs.

The Willoughbian

Proletariat Art Threat
Jun 24, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Well, these are low-run boutique figures, not 75K Hasbro figures. Prices like these have always come with that particular territory.

These won't likely be hanging on any b&m retailer's pegs.

I find myself wishing more and more G.I. Joe would go the way of the "low-run boutique figures".

If we actually see something new and interesting, I might not have to customize every damn figure I get.

But those odds are small, almost non existent

Word!

I feel the same way. Right now the only thing in 1:18 that has me even remotely excited are the 4 inch Alien figures we have been reading so much about lately.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I might like that if I could be certain they wouldn't be slaved to ARAH designs, mythos, etc.

MMorelock66

Isn't a Gijoe fan
Apr 4, 2012
the land of Virginia
You all give me a hard on. The amount of shit we get handled to us is unfathomable. I wish we could get something "reinvented". It's been stated 1000s of times here. But if Hasbro would do a sub line of modern military figures (I mean holy fuck, they have a stock pile of usable parts for just that) with paint detailing somewhere close to BBI, I'd be ALL IN.

Damn pipe dream.

MMorelock66

Isn't a Gijoe fan
Apr 4, 2012
the land of Virginia
Hell, if BBI would just re-release their shit I'd be happy.

Someone here (who's reliable..) needs to win the lottery so they can give us our own figure line.

Man oh man. If Obi won the lottery and began large scale production of his Ultimate Figure, I'd personally travel to Joecon and tell every Hasbro "higher up" to go straight to hell.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
If you want it, it won't be released. if they show something, it may get released depending on if it's popular, then it won't be released. If it's guaranteed to be released, it will be pushed back for several months or a year and then won't get released.

if it's something stupid, it will be rushed to the stores in huge quantities and then poor sales will be blamed on collectors and the cool stuff won't be released.

All indications are not to get your hopes up on the Joe front.

Pretty much the gist of it.

I'm betting that's the way things are gonna be for any figure that isn't a 5 POA piece of crap with lousy paint apps. We collectors are probably going to have to accept that costs are on the rise unless we want to keep seeing Retaliation Wave 1 quality figures. Not that I like playing Devils Advocate, but I fear the case may be so.

If the standard for decent figures increases to $20 then I think I'll just stop collecting. I have a bunch of stuff as it is and I think there are only two figures in my collection I paid $20 for. In all likely hood I'll miss out on Acid Rain and Lost Planet, which sucks because they look awesome and t would be neat to throw them into the 1/18 fray.

You all give me a hard on. The amount of shit we get handled to us is unfathomable. I wish we could get something "reinvented". It's been stated 1000s of times here. But if Hasbro would do a sub line of modern military figures (I mean holy fuck, they have a stock pile of usable parts for just that) with paint detailing somewhere close to BBI, I'd be ALL IN.

Damn pipe dream.

They really need to take more advantage of stores like Dollar General and Family Dollar. A 5-6 dollar line of basic Joes that cut the ninjas and bright colors out would be excellent. Just look at how much people wanted the green "Dukes" and green Ship Wrecks. They release modern versions of the original 13 through these sort of stores. But of course, they won't.

Someone here (who's reliable..) needs to win the lottery so they can give us our own figure line.

There are a lot of brands and figures that I wish would get re-released. As mediocre the Unimax bravo team figures could be, they were still worth getting. The paint apps on their modern figures were rather spectacular, and I miss being able to buy $20 Sherman tanks.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com

Was that directed towards me?

Probably a little.

But more so towards all the half finished projects we all end up having sitting around waiting for "the right part" or "time" or whatever.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Man oh man. If Obi won the lottery and began large scale production of his Ultimate Figure, I'd personally travel to Joecon and tell every Hasbro "higher up" to go straight to hell.

Yeah... but that would mean that the machined parts would be damn near perfect and available, for the slew of workers to assemble them.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
How many of us have had the lottery dream?

I'd be putting Obi and a few others on the payroll pretty fast if it happened. Not that I've ever bought a lottery ticket, mind you.

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
I keep hoping to win the pottery to actually be able to found a real company. But since I don't play the lottery it will be a long wait.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
All of us probably.. but if it really happened I'm sure we'd disappear faster than a sex toy at Ewoks house.. everyone would be asking for $$$ and handouts :)

Eh, as long as we go into it fully knowing this is a short-lived venture to give us some cool plastic toys it'd be alright.

I'd hire Obi, but unfortunately he'd likely feel stifled when I told him he wouldn't be working on any modern tier one badasses.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Eh, as long as we go into it fully knowing this is a short-lived venture to give us some cool plastic toys it'd be alright.

I'd hire Obi, but unfortunately he'd likely feel stifled when I told him he wouldn't be working on any modern tier one badasses.

True... but that's what ToyFair is for - show cool stuff that won't be made.