Version 2s (or 3s or 4s or 54s) that are better than the original?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
So, anyone that's been collecting Joes more than 5 minutes (or isn't a complete retard) knows that there have been some Joes with multiple versions.

Now, sometimes the v.1 gets it right (Footloose, Night Viper), but there are a number of occasions where the 2nd or further versions is better.

Cases in point, personally:

Alley Viper v.2. The predatory feline visor, the yellow jacket (street lamp camo, i call it) paint scheme, just all around better. Sure, the shield isn't as aggressive (but looks great painted like the card art) and he isn't as bulky in the torso, but all around an improvement.

Mercer v.2. This thing just shits all over the v.1 Mercer, but never gets any love. No one does customs of him. Maybe they're all gay and are intimidated by the manly, Cold Slither-esque "i'll fucker your mother in the ass while your dad cries in the corner" facial hair?

Anyhoo, v.2 Mercer is on my To-Do list. I'm thinking 90% Viper parts, as he was an ex-Viper, dammit.

Zartan V.2. Nah, i'm bullshitin'. I didn't think Zartan could be made to suck more.

Personal thoughts?

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I'm doing a hybrid V1/V2 Rock N Roll as we speak. I hate how bland the O13 are. At least RnR had the cool bullet belts, but besides that, he's very forgettable. V2 was baller, and I'd love to see him done in POC formatting. He's a cool character, and that was a great version of him. I actually think the V2 of Stalker is pretty badass, too, and the same with V3 Grunt (minus that goofy greaser hair curl).

I think of the more "second-tier" (i.e. not Stalker, Scarlett or SE) Clutch and Steeler, and maybe even Flash were cool O13 guys, because they looked different. The rest were just meh. Grand Slam? Hawk? Short-Fuze? Those are the worst. Hawk V2 is amazing, but his first version couldn't be more generic.

(Actually, I don't even remember V2 Zap. He's pretty badass now that I look him up, save for those space boot things he's wearing.)

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
i was gonna say R&R...his v2. is killer

v2. Slaughter was a million times better too

Hawk was another one that kept getting better...bomber jacker was good, but my fave was always jet pack Hawk from '91

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Agree about v.2 Slaughter.

Hawk is another one. I've got one nearly complete, and have always gotten a kick out of the F-14 jet pack.

I liked the mold for the v.2 Storm Shadow, but like the earth tones of the Cobra Ninja set release.

Ninja Force SS wasn't bad, either.

cold slither

Hair Farmer
Mar 14, 2011
Atlantic City, NJ
I'm gonna guess that most V2s that were Night Force were probably better than the originals. Spearhead & Max and Lightfoot come to mind.

Last edited:

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011
Battle Corps Duke (aka Desert Storm Duke) to me was way better than the original Duke.

V2 Storm Shadow when he was on the Joe team, appealed to me more than original figure.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Some of the NFs were improvement.

Charbroil, Lightfoot, Spearhead and Psyche-Out still sucked, and the grey trousers on Tunnel Rat are a step down.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
first ones that comes to mind is SE, Hawk and CC. I always preferred the hooded CC. I would also throw Rock N Roll and Stalker in the mix.