What if Joes - what would like to see?

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
What IF you could redesign the GI Joe toys, or use Joes as a base for other properties, to be mixed in with a Joe line. (Like Steet Fighter in the 90s)

What would you like to see?

I'd like to see...

Realistic Modern Updates - Start with the original 13.

Stargate -series

Strike Back -series

New bad guys/threat - (non Cobra)

Modern M.A.S.K. update with Vehicles

Transformers crossover featuring at least 2 transforming vehicles

civilians including fictional president, Dr/nurse/medic, firefighter, police

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Lose the updating of characters and just make new, modern military men and women. Less ninjas.

Also, Cobra can stay, but more 'Evil Blackwater USA' corporation shit like in the A-Team movie, and less 'ruthless terrorist organization with hissing dictator determined to rule the world,' because frankly, any organization with half a brain would see that ruling the world is way more trouble than its worth.

Edit: Oh, and 1:18 scale vehicles and playsets. Fuck Joescale.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Lose the every wave has to have SE/Duke/CC. Instead 1 of each is fine, but like a real military organization, it should have different people coming in & out so give us a variety of characters so actually having a cobra commander means something. (That's how you sell more toys)

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Lose the updating of characters and just make new, modern military men and women. Less ninjas.

Also, Cobra can stay, but more 'Evil Blackwater USA' corporation shit like in the A-Team movie, and less 'ruthless terrorist organization with hissing dictator determined to rule the world,' because frankly, any organization with half a brain would see that ruling the world is way more trouble than its worth.

Edit: Oh, and 1:18 scale vehicles and playsets. Fuck Joescale.

I...think that covers it. I'd add in-depth research when designing these things. I could go into a lengthy spiel on things that don't make sense on figures, but I'll leave it at that.

Of course, it'll never work. The majority of Joe fans don't understand the concept of "uniformity" and think that their Tier 0 operators should wear whatever the fuck they found in their clean clothes pile.

Outbackman

Elite Infantry Viper
Jun 24, 2014
Central Alabama
I would like to see some new characters. maybe a spin off series like the adventure team. but... not those horrid adventure team figures. we could really benefit from a modern adventure team. new sculpts, new playsets, vehicles. Even hasbro kitbashes of modern figures,
also they really should concider extending the dollar general line. wave 3 repaint. heck lets be honest who wouldnt buy a tan duke, black shipwreck, crimson cobra trooper?

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Back in the early 2000s, there was a comic series called Stormwatch Team Achilles which followed an international group of special forces soldiers as they battle super powered beings. With our society's obsession with worshipping mini deities, I would like to see something like that.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I would like to see some new characters. maybe a spin off series like the adventure team. but... not those horrid adventure team figures. we could really benefit from a modern adventure team. new sculpts, new playsets, vehicles. Even hasbro kitbashes of modern figures,
also they really should concider extending the dollar general line. wave 3 repaint. heck lets be honest who wouldnt buy a tan duke, black shipwreck, crimson cobra trooper?

Hell no. Tan or olive, sure, but that crimson shit needs to be relegated to FSS and convention exclusives.

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
^
Haha! I'd go for a camo trooper. I'd love if hasbro dipped into that green plastic they made steel brigade delta from.

I'd like to see call of duty style figures built with at least joe quality. Staying as close to accurate 1:18 as possible!! Figures seem to be slowly getting bigger? Idk if anyone else noticed?

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Back in the early 2000s, there was a comic series called Stormwatch Team Achilles which followed an international group of special forces soldiers as they battle super powered beings. With our society's obsession with worshipping mini deities, I would like to see something like that.

Yes please.

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion

That's like Fogger's wet dream

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD

JMM82

Enlisted
Jul 15, 2011
St. Louis, Mo.
I...think that covers it. I'd add in-depth research when designing these things. I could go into a lengthy spiel on things that don't make sense on figures, but I'll leave it at that.

Of course, it'll never work. The majority of Joe fans don't understand the concept of "uniformity" and think that their Tier 0 operators should wear whatever the fuck they found in their clean clothes pile.

"Uniformity"! Exactly!

lardman

The Unwashed
Apr 11, 2011
Bath, UK
I don't think uniformity will sell toys to children, not unless it's cheap generic grunts or baddies. I suppose that there is room for differentiation in their webgear, headgear, faces and weapons (though that then moves away from the whole uniformity thing ;))

On the other hand, there are a fair few environments and roles available, so there should be room to produce figures that are different but still realistically and uniformly uniformed for their environment/role.

I'd certainly like to see some more generic camouflaged figures (Woodland or DPM and Tiger Stripe, mainly as those are what I liked as a child - I think the newer MTP and Crye are too complicated and small for the scale, or perhaps they just work too well and mean you don't see the figure's shape as well - I think less is more with the camo, as long as you get an impression of the pattern without needing too much detail and the factories doing the paint apps will probably agree)

I'm indifferent about whether the characters should be kept, I love the Marvel comics, but I realise a reboot might be in order, but equally throwing away all that potentially useful backstory isn't necessarily a good idea.

Ninjas good, but not many, adds to the mythos.

Space good, but fairly realistic - there's a whole environment which could be exploited there (and with the advent of commercial space flight and the tests currently underway for things like Mars landers it would surely make sense).

I think Adventure Team should definitely be resurrected and refreshed, probably with a separate storyline and characters but with cross-overs (and using the same moulds for figures and vehicles) - there is just so much mileage in the idea of adventure and exploration with the natural world as the unknown/danger rather than a group of baddies. As a child, while I spent a lot of time with my Joes fighting (Cobra, VietCong, Argentines, etc.), the vast majority was spent in adventuring - climbing, parachuting, test pilots, space, etc.

With the above Adventure Team idea in mind, there are lots of interesting things going on that would stimulate children's minds (and not be military and be educational, which might appeal to parents), e.g. RedBull Stratospheric Parachute jump; the aforementioned commercial space flight, Mars/Moon mission planning, and things like SpaceShipOne's test flight; the slightly disappointing race to the bottom of the Mariana's Trench (only saw one competitor, and the DeepFlight which looked to be very cool never even got rolled out afaik). Then there's just the standard stuff exploring mountains, deserts and jungles, caving and cave diving (I just watched Sanctum).

Sorry for the essay!

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
I love to see Hasbro branch out with the line. By making some sub lines that are compatable with Joe, but not officially under the brand name unless it works better for them.

NASA brand Space figures available at the smithsonian & other museums. (Some Toy R US stuff is repackaged for Zoos.)

Adventure Team modernized

Get away from the collector's mindset before 1:18th goes the way of the O guage train. (Ya you heard me!) Make something kids can get & bug their parents about buying.

If you can only get it by researching it & waiting for it to pop onto a website for a few hours, before it dissappears, then there is a bigger market out there that Hasbro should figure out how to exploit.

Maybe sponser a series of (Good) video games & sell toys based on that.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I suppose that there is room for differentiation in their webgear, headgear, faces and weapons (though that then moves away from the whole uniformity thing ;))

You'd be wrong, there. Look at any photos of real SpecOps units since Vietnam and you'll see there's plenty of individuality in kit to break up the uniformity you Joe guys are so adverse to, yet still have them look like professionals.

I'm indifferent about whether the characters should be kept, I love the Marvel comics, but I realise a reboot might be in order, but equally throwing away all that potentially useful backstory isn't necessarily a good idea.
It's time to let it go, IMO. It's really not doing anything other than rehashing old glories.

Ninjas good, but not many, adds to the mythos.
Firefly (without the actual ninja component) is about as close to a real ninja as I want to come. Mute Wolverine with a sword is lame, and that's how they insist on depicting Snake Eyes et alil.

Space good, but fairly realistic - there's a whole environment which could be exploited there (and with the advent of commercial space flight and the tests currently underway for things like Mars landers it would surely make sense).

Space is about as much a wash with kids these days as you claim military figures with uniformity are. ;) We don't have a national space program to speak of anymore, though you may be correct about the idea being resparked through private space programs. Granted .Gov doesn't interfere.

I think Adventure Team should definitely be resurrected and refreshed, probably with a separate storyline and characters but with cross-overs (and using the same moulds for figures and vehicles) - there is just so much mileage in the idea of adventure and exploration with the natural world as the unknown/danger rather than a group of baddies. As a child, while I spent a lot of time with my Joes fighting (Cobra, VietCong, Argentines, etc.), the vast majority was spent in adventuring - climbing, parachuting, test pilots, space, etc.

With the above Adventure Team idea in mind, there are lots of interesting things going on that would stimulate children's minds (and not be military and be educational, which might appeal to parents), e.g. RedBull Stratospheric Parachute jump; the aforementioned commercial space flight, Mars/Moon mission planning, and things like SpaceShipOne's test flight; the slightly disappointing race to the bottom of the Mariana's Trench (only saw one competitor, and the DeepFlight which looked to be very cool never even got rolled out afaik). Then there's just the standard stuff exploring mountains, deserts and jungles, caving and cave diving (I just watched Sanctum).

Sorry for the essay!

This you get right. Adventure Team is a good idea these days. Infinitely more potential then the ARAH-slaved G.I. Joe line.

JMM82

Enlisted
Jul 15, 2011
St. Louis, Mo.
Bring back the Adventure Team figures as long as Hasbro makes their heads larger, more standard size like the rest of the line of Joes! I've got the A.T. Commander and, as we all know, his head's tiny, like the ones on the TRU 25th Anniv. Greenshirts. I only bought it because I wanted to use his noggin on one of my many Retaliation Troopers but it's just too damn small; looks out of place.

The Adventure Team does not exist in my Joeverse, BTW.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Why do they have to be based on the '70-'76 figures at all?

JMM82

Enlisted
Jul 15, 2011
St. Louis, Mo.
True.

Maybe for sentimental reasons?! You raise a valid point, and an updated version, especially if available in-stores, could have the potential to be a hot seller IF it looked decent.

lardman

The Unwashed
Apr 11, 2011
Bath, UK
You'd be wrong, there. Look at any photos of real SpecOps units since Vietnam and you'll see there's plenty of individuality in kit to break up the uniformity you Joe guys are so adverse to, yet still have them look like professionals.

I do realise that, but similarly to my comment about camo, the differences really need to be readily visible to differentiate the figures (for kids and indeed for anyone other than dio photographers I'd guess), but equally this may well well be possible (and I would hope with much more differentiation than e.g. the OurWar figures who seem to have different weapons, packs, and different MOLLE pouch locations, but from a distance all look fairly similar)

Whether things have now changed, with a roll out of better designed kit so that SoF don't have to mix and match, there was at least some photographic support for a complete non-uniformity in the past, e.g. if one looks at pictures of the SAS in Iraq. 3rd hit on Google: SAS Successes Against Al Qaeda In Iraq Revealed

Equally there is the (at least relatively) modern media with things like The Unit (where they may well have been fairly uniform, but also had lots of different sets of gear) and things like this influence what people want in their toys (hmm, not sure children should watch The Unit, but you know what I mean :))