Why G.I. JOE Movies Failed

Fred Broca

Enlisted
Jun 2, 2012
The Empyrean
In recent years, ya boy Fred has been vindicated (as much as one can be vindicated on a fan forum message board,) in certain respects concerning the comic book film genre. I said that there should be a JLA movie, others said that a JLA movie would never happen. We're getting a JLA movie. I said that the Batman should be in his traditional grey uniform. Others said that the reason why we'll never see the Batman in his traditional gray uniform is because it's not realistic and it wouldn't look right in on the big screen. Now in Batman vs Superman we're getting finally getting the Batman in his traditional gray suit. The most controversial thing that I've ever said, (and I'm sure it going to start some shit here is,) is that Hasbro needs to charter to it's fanbase, those tricenarians and quadragenarians who have basically been this band alive for the past 30 years.

Other's have disagreed with me because they argue the fact that Hasbro is a toy manufacturer and one of their products is a line of army men who's target demo is boys between the ages of 8-12. Here's the reality of the situation, (from a layman's perspective,) boys between the ages of 8-12 aren't playing with army men, however, men between the ages of 30-40 who have been with the JOE brand since childhood will buy JOE figures and accessories if Hasbro puts out decent product. To illustrated this point, listen to this short clip from Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman podcast as Joe Quesada explains why the Netflix Daredevil series is a hit. Go to 1:30:44- 1:34:07[/b]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfuPq8ujp0E[/ame]

Fat Man on Batman 80: Joe Quesada: Daredevil's Step-Dad Steps Up

And there you have it, Marvel has been the hit making and dollar producing machine because of two factors,

1) Fans (who eventually became creative talent on the books,) are leading the creative direction where the animation, television, and movie projects are concerned.

2) When doing the television and movie projects, Marvel not only understands, but appreciates it's core fanbase and realizes that in film and t.v. adaptions of the comic books, people want to see on these mediums what they're been reading all of these years, and if there is a change to the source material, that change better make sense.

Marvel movies are the shit because Kevin Feige and Joss Whedon understands the Marvel Universe. The Flash is arguably the best superhero series currently on air because it's Geoff John's baby and the Flash is his favorite character. I heard that when HBO pitched Game of Thrones to G.R.R.M. once of the conditions for the show to be made was that the show producers figure out that R+L=J.

That's where Hasbro is dropping the ball concerning the JOE brand, when a film or t.v. adaption, they let some people with some half assed knowledge of the JOE mythos do the project and not only that let Sommers use G.I. JOE for a vehicle for a movie that he couldn't get made on his own. JOE also suffered from being regarded as being merely just a movie based on a comic book and a toy.

In order for life to be brought back into the G. I. JOE brand, Hasbro is going to have to let the brand do what it's fans did, and that's grow up. Detractors will say that this will be the death knell to the brand. Really, G.I. JOE is on life support now and the only people that seem interested in G.I. Joe seem to be men in there 30's and 40's.

I've seen Arrow, The Flash, and Daredevil and I think that future of G.I. JOE lies in a Netflix series. The series should be grounded, steeped in character development, and contain elements of future military tech. Will this show get boys between the ages of 8-12 to buy Hasbro's army men? Probably not, but it will get interest in the brand to where Hasbro could possibly do an animated series with the JOEs along the same vein that Disney does with it's Marvel characters. It couldn't hurt and I think it's worth a shot.

Topside

Disgruntled Goat
Aug 6, 2012
NYS- Finger Lakes
I'd be all for something more realistic than RoC and Retaliation whether it was another movie or a tv series. I give a slight edge to Retaliation because it didn't have as many unbelievable elements as RoC but still some pretty bad acting AND ninjas.

I don't see why they couldn't make a show like Flashpoint, Ultimate Force, Strike Back, Sea Patrol or even The Last Ship using the Joe universe. Certainly enough bad guys to keep it interesting.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I think a netflix style show could be cool.. but honestly, at this point, why bother?

You could make an original show and make it just as compelling.. the "GI JOE" brand is more of a hindrance than a boon at this point.

There is basically no product available, nothing really on the horizon and no reason to think otherwise. GI JOE cartoons even failed.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I was reading an article about how Akiva directs his writers room by forcing them to invest in every aspect of the property until they all have a unified fan perspective. Being a fan of Joe, I couldn't help but laugh at how so many writers are going to quit over creative differences. None of us think of Joe in the same way.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I was reading an article about how Akiva directs his writers room by forcing them to invest in every aspect of the property until they all have a unified fan perspective. Being a fan of Joe, I couldn't help but laugh at how so many writers are going to quit over creative differences. None of us think of Joe in the same way.

Haha.. that'd be interesting to watch coalesce.

Maybe they'd get lucky.. and think EcoWarriors are the true way to go!

Tria

Enlisted
Sep 20, 2012
This is how gi joe movie should be made imo

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-wAzlqzXH0[/ame]