Why is testor's dullcoat turning my figs white

rds13601

A Waste of Space!!!!
Aug 2, 2011
Biggest dump on earth
Been making a CIA SAD Team with 21st century figs and when i was done with the paint job and the figures were dry; I sprayed the dullcoat to get rid of the shine. Next thing the figures are white like they have been through a blizzard. It's cold where I live could that be the reason? I don't spray alot. Was using Tamiya Dark Yellow, Testor's Desert brown and a mixed combo of Olive Drab and Black. It also turned the figures head's white which was not painted. What would be the cause of this?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'd have to see pics, but I know some clear coats will frost if you go too heavy.

rds13601

A Waste of Space!!!!
Aug 2, 2011
Biggest dump on earth
I think you nailed it. I'm going to heavy and not evening out brush strokes. When applying coats I have the stupid urge to drench the figs so paint will saturate. Thanks Guys for the help!!!!!

unclassified

THE AYATROLLA KHOMEINI
Jan 31, 2012
the garden state of eden
as being a profesional painter in real life, i will tell you, never saturate, do thin coats always. the paint will never cure when applied thick, if you are spraying, same thing, thin coats.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
as being a profesional painter in real life, i will tell you, never saturate, do thin coats always. the paint will never cure when applied thick, if you are spraying, same thing, thin coats.

This.

Light, thin coats.

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
I assume the Tamiya paint you use is acrylic? The Dullcote is lacquer-based, and could be reacting to the underlying paint.
Have you used this combination of base coat and sealer before?

EDIT: If you are indeed using acrylics under the sealer, be sure to let the paint fully cure for a few days, to give the alcohol carrier time to evaporate. Otherwise it will react with the Dullcote.

Also, Dullcote (or any varnish topcoat) can turn white if not thoroughly mixed/agitated.

Last edited:

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011
thingsatwistedewokwouldsay.blogspot.com
Tester's doesn't care about black figures

Wild weasel

needs killer whale parts!
Jun 9, 2011
Testors dullcoat has been known to leave small dots of a light hazy grey, but I haven't heard anybody with a solid conclusion, it's best to always us a spare part or scrap and paint it with the figure, then spray the piece to make sure all is good THEN proceed to the figure

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Hope the figs are salvageable.

I've never used a dull coat.

Not sure if this team of yours is middle eastern bound, but because alot of my customs tend to be in desert/mountain enviroments I will either wash and or dry brush with "Acrylic Model Master - US Army/Marines Gulf Sand."

Softens and dulls things out nicely I think.

Dunking in my bucket of sand and blowing heavy stuff off works good to.

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
I use Games Workshop's "Kommando Khaki" as a base coat, wash with "Devlan Mud" and drybrush with "Bleached Bone". The paint is a bit pricey (AUD$6 a bottle) and the colour names sound ridiculous, but they're the most readily available to me.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I've used Testors dullcote almost exclusively and have only ever had one instance of hazing and that was because I sprayed and left the item outside (covered porch) while it was raining.

It's always humidity or over-applying that creates the whiteing effect.

Mswi

Teabagging Ninja
Feb 16, 2012
happened once to me . to this day I think it was cause I did not shake the can well enough before spraying. I haven't used sealers in a few years as I don't think they are really needed

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
That too can be a cause.

I don't really do sealers much either unless the figure has light colored clothing. Light colored figures seem to show dirt easily. Sealing just gives it that much more protection and keeps dirt from adhering. Otherwise, since I don't really play with my customs, I don't see that they need protection, you can't chip paint if all you ever do is just display them.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I mainly use it to protect the graphite on my toy guns.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Snowbunny Destro is governor of the Island of Misfit Joes.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I use a dull coat on figures because even after using flat acrylics, the paint still tends to take on a sheen with the passing of time...