Working with Styrene

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
Well, I'm delving deeper into all things custom, after all the inspiration here.
I stumbled on styrene when working on the compound, and now that I'm turning try my hand at vehicles I'm looking for some pointers on working with this awesome material - guys like Eddie and Digler - I'm lookin' at you!
In particular:
How are you getting the smooth bends in the rod stock? *insert dick joke here*

What are you using to heat the stock for molding/bending?

What recommendations do you have for suppliers? I've found some deals on eBay, better than the hobby chains, but any points in the right direction would be appreciated.

Bonding agents - I have model glue and super glue, any other adhesives recommended for bonding to other materials?

Any other tips for a noob?

I'll be starting small on a 50th VAMP, before moving on up to one of those PTE ICV things (if I can find one!)
Cheers!

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
What recommendations do you have for suppliers? I've found some deals on eBay, better than the hobby chains, but any points in the right direction would be appreciated.

Bonding agents - I have model glue and super glue, any other adhesives recommended for bonding to other materials?

I buy from Plastruct.com. And for glue I use either loctite or plastic weld.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Rod stock bends...I don't think I've had to bend any, so I don't have any tried and true suggestions there. It's VERY flexible though.

I used to use plastic weld too (has MEK in it IIRC) but found that a rough sanding of the two surfaces you're joining together lied with hobby superglue holds extremely well...and you don't have to wait for that dang slow plastic weld to dry. If you are gluing in an area that won't be seen, epoxy works very well too.

I get mine at a local hobby store. I prefer this over an online purchase because I typically need to see exactly what will work best. I often take parts with me to the store to test fit.

I'm pretty sure Pickel works with styrene, so maybe hell chime in.

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
Right on. Thanks for the quick replies, XOC and Eddie!
Eddie, I was thinking of the grab handles and railings on your custom HISS... did you use something other than styrene?
I saw some of Pickle's work too... again, y'all are some talented mofos!
Cheers.

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
I use both Plastruct and Evergreen Scale Models styrene (rods, tubes, strips, patterns) for figure accessories and dio pieces. Most hobby shops that specialize in model trains will carry both brands. You can get all sorts of styles that will work for 1:18. I use CA glue with insta-set (glue accelerator). I bent the plastic rods and strips by hand for this library cart.

You'll get a ton of ideas going to a store that has a styrene display. I lucked out when I found a Spanish tile pattern that worked perfectly for a Japanese style roof. Also, most of the weapons below were made with styrene.

A good book that I can recommend is Modeling Weapons and Accessories for Military Miniatures by Kim Jones. Great insight and techniques for making weapons and accessories for any scale using styrene.

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
I use both Plastruct and Evergreen Scale Models styrene (rods, tubes, strips, patterns) for figure accessories and dio pieces. Most hobby shops that specialize in model trains will carry both brands. You can get all sorts of styles that will work for 1:18. I use CA glue with insta-set (glue accelerator). I bent the plastic rods and strips by hand for this library cart.

You'll get a ton of ideas going to a store that has a styrene display. I lucked out when I found a Spanish tile pattern that worked perfectly for a Japanese style roof. Also, most of the weapons below were made with styrene.

That's what I'm talking about!
Excellent work, man!
So did you have to heat the rod and strips to get your bends? That cart is *perfect*...
Thanks for the recommendation on the book, as well. I'm really amazed at how much there is to this world of model and diorama building.
Cheers!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Right on. Thanks for the quick replies, XOC and Eddie!
Eddie, I was thinking of the grab handles and railings on your custom HISS... did you use something other than styrene?
I saw some of Pickle's work too... again, y'all are some talented mofos!
Cheers.

I actually didn't have the size rod on hand (GIGGIDY) I wanted and didn't want to go to the hobby store (lazy). So I used something I had on hand which if I recall correctly was the plastic sprues that hold model kits together. I heated it up with a lighter.

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
I actually didn't have the size rod on hand (GIGGIDY) I wanted and didn't want to go to the hobby store (lazy). So I used something I had on hand which if I recall correctly was the plastic sprues that hold model kits together. I heated it up with a lighter.

Brilliant! Now I just need a stockpile of said model detritus...

Giggidy, sir.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Not too much that I can add but I use a candle to bend things . It stays upright so you can use both hands. To make handle I use a round pencil or x-acto handle.

If it is a complex bend I shape a piece of wood to the shape I need . Heat the plastic over the flame and bend it over my jig.

I use styrene as well but buy it in 4' x 8' sheets .

I use only CA glue bought from my local hobby shop and use the kicker accelerator. I need my stuff to bond now !!

Most of the time I can not bend the shapes I need , so I glue some sheets together and shape them by hand.

Sometimes the hardest way proves to be the easiest.

I made these hinges by sliding a brass rod inside a styrene tube and bending it

I made the u shape on this landing gear strut by laminating styrene together and shaping it to a round profile.

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
I use styrene as well but buy it in 4' x 8' sheets...

Most of the time I can not bend the shapes I need so I glue some sheets together and shape them by hand...

I made these hinges by sliding a brass rod inside a styrene tube and bending it

I made the u shape on this landing gear strut by laminating styrene together and shaping it to a round profile.

That's adding a LOT, Pickle :) Thanks!
Not sure I'm ready for 4 x 8 sheets just yet... But if the day comes I'll hit you up for a source.
Never occurred to me to laminate and shape. That's the kind of tip I'm looking for. Master level work on those parts, man. The hinges are great, and that strut is really impressive.
I'm guessing the hobby shop would have whatever putty or epoxy y'all are using for filling and smoothing? Any recommendations on brand?
Cheers!

Last edited:

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
I use Bondo brand glazing putty.

It is realitively cheap and most important it sets up quick. 1 hour

It is the same price as Green Stuff or White Stuff but it is twice the size and the color is red. Sets in 4-8 hours

They also make Professinal Glazing Putty that is a 2 part.

It works like Bondo but is smoother and easier to sand and again sets up quickly. Gets hard in about 15 mins depending how much catalyst you put in it. ( hardner )

You can use this for shaping and sculpting.

The fact that the set up time is fast is important to me .

Because you do not have to wait and you can keep on working on your project.

The best thing about Bondo glazing putty is that you can get it from a bunch of places Auto parts store and Ace Hardware.

They do not sell it at Hobby stores.