Mega Bloks Militia

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
As our membership gets smaller(giggity), so do the size of our collections.

This is a place to show off your hobbit sized army figs and military brick creations. We all know the hobbits win in the end.

Welcome to the Fighting 1:32nd! :pirate:

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
Here is a set I bought off eBay...way smaller than standard Mega Blok scale

and I made one of my Little Birds into a transport

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Pretty cool. I wish I knew more about the line so that I could really tell how much effort was put into this.

Was there a ton of painting involved or were you able to source most parts in the color you needed? Any sculpting?

I think I like Token the most. :D

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Pretty cool. I wish I knew more about the line so that I could really tell how much effort was put into this.

Was there a ton of painting involved or were you able to source most parts in the color you needed? Any sculpting?

I think I like Token the most. :D

The first 6-8 that I did were LBCs, you know, the Joes that wore black, khaki, or medium green. At that point, the no-painting came to an end. First it was just hair or webgear. Then it was little details like gloves and belt buckles. After a while, especially when you get into the non-military colors, you're painting the full figure. Destro was made with all black parts, but I had to paint the head, chest, wrists, holster, medallion. So even with properly colored parts, a lot of painting took place. Not a lot of sculpting, mostly just cutting, trimming, and sanding... easy light dremel work.

Pretty much every cobra, except maybe the snow serpents, was a full body paint. The joes, in order to make them both distinguished and recognizable, also required lots of paint, even the ones who wear all green. If you just want to get "close enough", you could skip a lot of the painting, but the more I made, the more the lack of little details bothered me.

I sourced parts from CoD, Halo, Destiny, Star Trek, Terminator, TMNT, Assassin's Creed, and any other MB figures I could find with useful parts. Stupidly, not all MB lines use the same body construction, so most of the non-CoD figures were just contributing heads, vest, gear, and other accessories.

The whole project has gotten out of control. And I fear that when I post close-ups, my complete lack of skills will be obvious, but these guys are just SOOOO damn small. They'll look great with a MP TF collection though ;)

As for Token... I needed the blueshirts to not be so homogeneous!

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
The reason these are proportioned the way they are is durability. You'd have to work to tear one up. But I imagine joints any smaller than this could end up being fragile.

The Walking Dead mini figures have realistic proportions, but they have 0-1 PoA each, and they're crazy fragile. They're so rubbish that I usually just trash them out of the box.

Wow Nacho, that's one display of patience and commitment! Looks great.

Thanks! I'll post some Joes later...

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I have to pack up for the day, so maybe I can get the Marines done tomorrow evening. Hopefully these pics show you guys some of the potential of working in a smaller size. :pirate:

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Gosh dang it! Now you have me dreaming of a 1:28th'ish JOE line with proper human proportions (not cartoony like these guys). They'd be insanely adorable!

Umm... Wasn't GI Joe a cartoon? It's really the feet that give them the toon proportions since they have to fit over a lego stud larger than a Hasbro peg. No way you'd want balance all of these little bastards with smaller feet. Their hands are huge claws fot the same reason.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Umm... Wasn't GI Joe a cartoon? It's really the feet that give them the toon proportions since they have to fit over a lego stud larger than a Hasbro peg. No way you'd want balance all of these little bastards with smaller feet. Their hands are huge claws fot the same reason.

I'm just imagining realistic figures (similar to the people figures that come with some MPs) to go with the realistic alts of the MP/"MP" line is all.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Ok, finally took more pics...

Attachments

• DSC04648_resize.JPG
    DSC04648_resize.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC04653_resize.JPG
    DSC04653_resize.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC04656_resize.JPG
    DSC04656_resize.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC04658_resize.JPG
    DSC04658_resize.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC04661_resize.JPG
    DSC04661_resize.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC04663_resize.JPG
    DSC04663_resize.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC04664_resize.JPG
    DSC04664_resize.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC04665_resize.JPG
    DSC04665_resize.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC04667_resize.JPG
    DSC04667_resize.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC04671_resize.JPG
    DSC04671_resize.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 43

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Yo Joe...

Attachments

• DSC04672_resize.JPG
    DSC04672_resize.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC04675_resize.JPG
    DSC04675_resize.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC04677_resize.JPG
    DSC04677_resize.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC04679_resize.JPG
    DSC04679_resize.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC04680_resize.JPG
    DSC04680_resize.JPG
    289 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC04682_resize.JPG
    DSC04682_resize.JPG
    450.5 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC04685_resize.JPG
    DSC04685_resize.JPG
    394.1 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC04688_resize.JPG
    DSC04688_resize.JPG
    311.4 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC04690_resize.JPG
    DSC04690_resize.JPG
    481.8 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC04692_resize.JPG
    DSC04692_resize.JPG
    345.1 KB · Views: 54

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011
Goodness gracious Nacho, you fucking rock.

Nice Lady Jaye from the TMNT April O'Neil, and how you did Duke's bandolier is inspired.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Nacho, how the fuck is it that your Lady Jaye looks better than Hasbro's?

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Those are phenomenal! Nicely done!

The head on Thunder is a spitting image of Conan!

I had that thought too! It's a terminator head (I don't know the character, haven't seen the movie). He has scars also, but that didn't seem out of character for a heavy equip guy. But he definitely gives off a conan vibe. I was mostly trying to get some variety in the sea of CoD heads.

Nice Lady Jaye from the TMNT April O'Neil, and how you did Duke's bandolier is inspired.

I did a lot of cutting on webgear. I painted a few on where I didn't have much choice, but I prefer to have them removable when possible. It's crazy how many different looks you can get with just a hand full of different parts.

Nacho, how the fuck is it that your Lady Jaye looks better than Hasbro's?

Like Dr Syn said, she's TMNT April. It's not like there are ANY choices for females. Halo did a cortana with gimpy articulation, and that's it. I was content to just skip the girls, but when the turtles set came out, she was basically a dead ringer for Lady Jaye in bright yellow....

So yeah, I bought a $40 set for one figure. I was so far down the rabbit hole at that point, it didn't matter ;) I figure I can "unturtle" the van and make it an ARBCO delivery truck or something. SMDH!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Like Dr Syn said, she's TMNT April. It's not like there are ANY choices for females. Halo did a cortana with gimpy articulation, and that's it. I was content to just skip the girls, but when the turtles set came out, she was basically a dead ringer for Lady Jaye in bright yellow....

So yeah, I bought a $40 set for one figure. I was so far down the rabbit hole at that point, it didn't matter ;) I figure I can "unturtle" the van and make it an ARBCO delivery truck or something. SMDH!

Yeah, but even at that scale it's better than Hasbro. Disgusting.
And don't feel bad. I'm into LEGO minifigures, I know about buying sets for fucking figures.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Wow Nacho, just wow. I'm glad you did this because now it removes any thoughts of me doing it just to see what they'd look like. You also answered my question of how well MB figs match up with McFarlane's dio sets. Thanks!

You have Airborne, but no Wild Bill for your Apache?!?

You really need the sniper rifle case from the Bradley set for Lowlight. They even lined it with foam to keep all the attachments in place.

This just shows you what a piss poor decision it was for Hasbro to try to make their own blocks instead of licensing Joe out to MB. Granted MB was still a pile of shit back then, but damn I'd love to see them tackle a HISS tank and Mobat these days.

I'm still in disbelief that 2" MB figures have a customizable peg system for pouches, gear, modular rifles and removable webgear, yet Hasbro couldn`t give us practical pistol holsters.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I'm working on Wild Bill... customizing that noggin is gonna be some work. I've got a lot more characters planned, but I hated to wait forever to start posting some pics.

I think the MBs work fine with McFarlane. MF sets lean toward the ultra-realism side, but not so much that MB figures look out of place or anything. I think as long as you don't mix in the shitty McFarlane figures, they should display just fine.

I don't know that Hasbro failed at making bloks. The problem is that when they started Joe, they'd already had some mild success with the "cute" kreo transformers minifigs. In fact, that was the only part of Kreo TF worth buying, as the sets were garbage, but the little guys were neat. But "cute" minifigs doesn't translate to soldiers (even fantastical ones), and following that path with Joe probably wasn't the greatest plan. As pioneers in highly articulated small figures back in the day, you'd have thought it would be in their DNA, but no, they took the cute LEGO route instead.

One good part about buying a crapload of sets just for the figures, I've amassed a ton of bricks from which to attempt some Joe vehicles. I'm not a master builder by any stretch, but after the figure customizing winds down, no doubt I'll try my hand at some better-than-kreo Joe motor-pool additions.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Nacho, I finally got a chance to really look at those pics and you are right, you are sick sir. It's a very talented sickness for sure, but sick none the less.

My gf saw them this morning and immediately asked if you were married. She asked if they were Lego figs, so I pointed to my LCAC and she immediately got up, grabbed a figure and just shook her head in disbelief. She couldn't believe you have that much time on your hands. :lmao:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Hahahahaha, I wish, but thanks for the kind words. Happily married, two kids, four cats, and I'm self-employed (no, not a euphemism for "unemployed"; I'm at the office 50 hrs a week). I really don't have that much free time, just do some painting in the evenings after the kids go to bed and a little on weekends while watching sports. To be fair, I've been working on these since, I dunno, mid-March (according to my Amazon order history....)

The more I worked, the more sets I amassed, the more I acquired other parts that spawned more ideas. The whole thing snowballed a bit. Kroger putting last-year's sets on heavy clearance didn't help either.

But my painting skills suck; it's not a secret. The closeup pics made me cringe at my own work, but they look pretty good from a galloping horse. F#$%ing cobra logos and mustaches.... and camouflage. My hands just aren't as steady as they once were. However, after working at this scale, painting a Joe or a Marvel Legends figure will seem easy :)

Some were LBCs with just a few details added. Others, like Dusty and Gung-Ho, were labor intensive. I had to make Dusty's head from two different noggins, and then I bought an ARAH head to cut off the cloth for the helmet. Recondo's head was a chore too. But I did have fun when I'd try various tricks to get a certain look or feature, and more often than not, it would come out looking like I imagined.

FYI, if you or anyone else want to do a few, I recorded all the colors and paint mix formulas I used. Thought they might come in handy down the road.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Eddie called me out, so I had to post some pics with MP Transformers!

Attachments

• DSC04693_resize.JPG
    DSC04693_resize.JPG
    510.3 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC04694_resize.JPG
    DSC04694_resize.JPG
    278.1 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC04696_resize.JPG
    DSC04696_resize.JPG
    305.4 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC04697_resize.JPG
    DSC04697_resize.JPG
    318.1 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC04698_resize.JPG
    DSC04698_resize.JPG
    293.9 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC04699_resize.JPG
    DSC04699_resize.JPG
    533.5 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC04700_resize.JPG
    DSC04700_resize.JPG
    293.3 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC04705_resize.JPG
    DSC04705_resize.JPG
    233.1 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC04707_resize.JPG
    DSC04707_resize.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC04708_resize.JPG
    DSC04708_resize.JPG
    253.7 KB · Views: 28

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
That's just so damn awesome. I do the same, but seeing the actual Joe decos with MPs is so much better. See Eddie, told ya the toon style workd with ya know, mixing toons.

I really like that Brawn.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It's certainly good enough. I'd still love more realistic humans with the very realistic alts.

You desperately need a Despotron, nacho. :D

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I 100% think he's better than skinny b!tch MASSIVE thigh gap Apollyon. It's like they designed him with horse riding crotch.