GI Joe - SkyStriker Haslab

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Well, I'm glad this one worked out. It does say something when the Joe project gets more support than a SW one...

Reactions: nacho

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Well, I'm glad this one worked out. It does say something when the Joe project gets more support than a SW one...
Yeah, it feels like a win for the little guy when Joe shows out while the SW team skulks back to it's lofty perch.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the bloom is off the rose on SW products. Maybe it's just b/c there hasn't been a (good) movie in a long time or because we're in our mid-40's and already have most of what we want, but I feel like I don't really need much more SW product. I'll still buy rando aliens from the OT in Vintage and 6" scales, but none of them blow my skirt up. If they never came out, I wouldn't feel like there was a hole on my shelf. I'm very ambivalent toward SW at this point.

While I truly don't *need* any more Joe stuff either, it at least excites me more. I hope this gives the Joe team a little slack to be more ambitious/aggressive with their output. Maybe it'll even help convince some b&m stores to bring it back to shelves in a more prominent fashion.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, the sequel trilogy stunk of recycling and a Disney cash grab, complete with atrocious planning failures and failure to remotely utilize (even killing off one of) the known, loved characters. It really sucked the luster off the property for sure. Even Solo was lame and contrived.

I guess the only somewhat bright spot was Rogue One, but mainly with the tie in to A New Hope and Vader in his prime. And, we had a pretty good thing happening with The Mandalorian, but now that's in jeopardy since the execs have all but canceled Gina Carano. And Pedro Pascal has gone fully looney toon.

I can't blame the SW fans for their lack of enthusiasm for yet another overpriced offering, of which the goal items were literally two dimensional and non-poseable. Good to see them standing up, finger raised to tell them to bring their "A" game next time or don't bother.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Star Wars has felt like beating a dead horse with a stick as far as the money grabs.

then the ST basically said it doesn’t matter f u we have your money & you are stupid for giving it to us!

Disney is really messing up everything they touch

Mando is good because it’s someone who cares about making a good story, but D is fucking that up too.

zodiacflash

Have Gun Will Travel
May 28, 2013
Houston
Glad it got the backing. Enough for the Ripcord, too! Man, I thought it wasn't gonna pull through. It was getting down to the wire. I guess enough people were waiting to commit at the last minute if it got backed, or was at least close. Really does suck for those SW folks who wanted the Rancor. It had so-so extras, except for that awesome cardboard background. Nice throwback to the old playsets with the cardboard sandcrawler and AT-AT. Just kidding. Those SW fans really get quite a regular shaft lately, don't they? Hasbro barfed out two crappy playsets; a section of hallway from Leia's ship, and one half of the carbon freeze chamber. Then crowdfunded a ship from the TV show that got blown up (still a cool ship, though). Maybe Rancor didn't get the backing because folks realized Hasbro was becoming Disney. The fans, whether new, or the old die-hards, are nothing more than unspent money. Since Boba Fett is getting super popular now, maybe they'll try to fund a new and improved version of the Slave I. Oh, wait. Not allowed to say that anymore. I mean "Boba Fett's Spaceship."

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Yeah, SW has always been a license to print money, but Disney has really taken that notion and cranked it up to 11. Sure, that's why they exist, to make money, but in recent years they have effectively misjudged the elasticity of demand for mediocre SW products. They assume high demand exists for whatever they slap together, and that's simply no longer true.

I also assume that the collector fanbase is largely Gen X, and no doubt, we're getting pickier. We have disposable income, but we also have decades of stuff we've collected, and we recognize that 1) we already have too much or 2) we've already downsized our collections and aren't going to buy everything just to clutter up our space. Most of us no longer have the "gotta catch 'em all" mentality, and thus we're perfectly fine with walking away from an offering that is overpriced, doesn't meet our expectations, or both. SW is no longer automatic, and the sooner disney and hasbro realize this, the sooner they can adjust accordingly. They can bring their A-game, or they can pivot toward other collectors. Either is fine with me.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
The 3 3/4" Book of Fett Boba for $27 is fucking insanity.

Yet I'm paying it because Fennec and him complete my Razor Crest crew and it will be the last time Hasbro gets a dime of SW money from me. Go fuck yourselves Hasbro!

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Damn... I saw that listing and thought, "Hmmm, that's a bit high for a 6" black series, even a deluxe one..." not realizing that it was a 4" figure. 😲

Screw that noise. WTF Mattel!

Edit: Ironically, WM has the Tantive IV hallway on sale for $35. For $7 more than that 4" Boba, you could get an entire playset.

Last edited:

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, what’s that all about? I’ve been fussing about $13 retro Joes at that size...

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I'm not even a fan of the new outfit. He looks like a fat middle-aged dude (to be fair, he is, it happens), but the odd skirt only accentuates the pear-shape he no doubtedly has at this point. It's like a chic who ties a sweater around her waist to hide her fat ass... and it only makes her derrier that much bulkier. SMH.

And why they think adding a couple of non-wearable helmets should tack on another $14 to an already ridiculous price for a 4" figure is beyond me. I'm mostly glad I don't collect Mando stuff, and I have zero compulsion to give in to these shenanigans. I feel bad for collectors who need this figure to complete a display, as they're clearly gouging just because they think they can get away with it.

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
I'm not even a fan of the new outfit. He looks like a fat middle-aged dude (to be fair, he is, it happens), but the odd skirt only accentuates the pear-shape he no doubtedly has at this point. It's like a chic who ties a sweater around her waist to hide her fat ass... and it only makes her derrier that much bulkier. SMH.

And why they think adding a couple of non-wearable helmets should tack on another $14 to an already ridiculous price for a 4" figure is beyond me. I'm mostly glad I don't collect Mando stuff, and I have zero compulsion to give in to these shenanigans. I feel bad for collectors who need this figure to complete a display, as they're clearly gouging just because they think they can get away with it.
It also has a firing rocket backpack I believe - still likely not worth the price increase. I pre ordered on Amazon hoping perhaps it was an incorrect price and it will be adjusted. (I am a geek for Boba - always have been. Sorry, not sorry)

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I don't begrudge anyone who buys this, as it's pretty essential if you're collecting that corner of the SW universe. But it doesn't change the fact that in the last 18 months, we've all bought deluxe, store exclusive 6" black series figures for less. The price is not just high, but like you said, it's so far off it looks like a mistake... except it isn't. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
The F-14 deco and stand sold it for me! I don't even like or want o-ring figures, but the Sky Striker was one of the only real cool Joe toys I remember getting as a kid, so it hit the nostalgia button.

It was close to not passing so I figured what the hell.. better than the stupid Razorcrest which still hasn't arrived.. grumble grumble..

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
So I finally opened one of mine...

-figures look neat-o, but a couple of them are glued to the card really wonky/shabbily with glue missing in parts and strangely globbed up in others. I expect the rivet counters will be howling about this in hasbro's direction. I'll probably open up the second outer box and cherry-pick the best example of each figure to leave MOC and open the lesser examples.

-stickers are as big of a pain in the rear as I remember from childhood. While there are a ton of extra/alternate stickers so you can really customize the shit out of your jet, the instructions only tell you where 20% of them go. There are a bunch that look like necessary stickers that I have no clue where to put them. And some of the sticker blueprint drawings don't match the actual toy, so you just have to kinda guess. This part of the process, while full of options, feels half-assed.

- the jet itself is impressive in its detail. While I knew it wasn't going to be nearly as big as a JSI Spotcat, I was expecting it to be larger than the original '83 toy. Turns out, it's pretty much the exact same size as it was 40 years ago, just far more elaborately detailed.

- the stand is great, lets you achieve a multitude of climbing/diving/banking poses on your shelf. It also allows you to mount some extra missiles on it with the jet trail effects, as if the missiles have just detached and fired off.

- aside from the added detail, the fact that the wing sweep feature is now independent of the landing gear is the crowning engineering detail of the whole project. The gear now operates by sliding the tailhook mount on the bottom rear, while the wings use the familiar sliding lever on top.

- I went with a traditional skystriker deco, stripes, and tailfin logos (on the old school black tailfins), but the alternate white fins and sticker sheets give you a ton of options, including Ace, Snake-Eyes, Shipwreck, various cobra schemes, and a more realistic tomcat scheme.

- the ladder is "fine" and the fuel/armament vehicles are made of weird "rubbermaid tub" plastic that feel like an afterthought or some place they really cut corners. They definitely aren't traditional Joe vehicle material and feel more like pool-toy plastic. It's a good thing I wasn't planning on doing anything with them, as they're a real zeroburger.

I heard an unboxing reviewer (sorry, can't recall which one) describe this thing as a good toy, but not a great Haslab... and I think that's an apt description. It's worth the price of admission if and only if you factor in the "value" of the seven carded figures and value them at $20+ each like Hasbro does. If you view most of the figures as unlock bonuses or not worth $20 a pop, then the jet alone is probably overpriced despite the extra detail and engineering.

If this was a retail release, many of us would be waiting on the clearance. Vehicle-wise, this thing isn't even close to the value of the BMF many of us bought on clearance for $50-60 a decade ago (15 yrs?). It's really about how you value the o-ring figures. The Skystriker itself is a 6/10 if you're being generous. The figures, stand, effects, and new engineering help take the sting out of the overall price, just not enough.

However, there is no doubt that the flaws won't matter and these things will skyrocket in value as all the FOMOers buy up the extras people bought to resell. If you got one, enjoy it for what it is or sit on it to make a tidy profit down the road. Just don't expect to be blown away if you open it. Save those thoughts for the Haslab HISS later in the year.

Reactions: ThunderDan19