1:12 Action Force Kickstarter

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I'm mildly curious about this. I've wanted 6" Joes for years, but I'm not sure how these folks are using Action Force ™ without being sued into oblivion by Hasbro/Palitoy.

These guys seem to have some up with their own mythology that somewhat parallels the Joe mythos. I don't think it'll fund, but who knows.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
GIJOE 6" or get the fudge out! And if I'm being honest, I don't want to see a specialty 6" JOE line at all. For one, that's a whole nother collection, and what would we be looking at, $50 figures? :talktothehand:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
MOTUC was a specialty line, and they were usually sub-30 plus shipping, at least until the last year or two when the number of people subbing fell off a cliff.

I'm not asking for a comprehensive line of every figure in the ARAH line. I don't need a 6" Skidmark. But there are about 30 joes and 30 cobras that I could see myself caring about. Assume $40 each shipped, and that's less than $2500 spread out over the several years it would take to produce them. I could totally live with that if they were well done.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I think $40 is optimistic.

But I'm being selfish in my desire to not see a 6" line come to fruition. I'd be weak willed and cave, I know it. So better to not happen at all. I mean, if they did a 6" B.A.T...😍

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I think $40 is optimistic.

But I'm being selfish in my desire to not see a 6" line come to fruition. I'd be weak willed and cave, I know it. So better to not happen at all. I mean, if they did a 6" B.A.T...😍
Maybe. Based on MOTUC, $40 seems doable. Based on the GIJCC, $40 is the cost of a 4" figure. But I'm convinced that the club did everything uber-inefficienctly, as even 4" kickstarter campaigns seem to do figures with 100% new molds cheaper. The stupid club was reusing 90% of the parts and still couldn't make it for a reasonable cost.

I dunno, i'd love to see it, and I'd buy the shit out of it. But I'd be pissed if they played games like they do with Marvel Legends. "Oh, so you want a figure of character x? Here's the one in a new costume from an alternate universe that appeared in that one comic one time, and it's a Walgreens exclusive." You go out of your way to obtain it, probably for more than retail. Three years later, you actually get the one you wanted to begin with. They'd give us Battle CORPS Hawk before an OG or leather jacketed version, just out of spite. Hasbro knows exactly how to kick fans in the jewels.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
"Here's Xamot. What? Tomax? Well, he'll be packed in a set of 10 other figures we already released that you already have."

To be fair, how crazy was it that they released them together for the 25th?

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
That 25th comic 2-pack routinely sells for $75-100. But Hasbro was still learning how to screw us then. In the interim, they broke up the pair in kreo and the club figures, practically guaranteeing that all but the most determined and deep-pocketed would fail to get both.

I was looking at 25th Joe prices the other day, as a decade+ ago, I was buying a minimum of 3x of everything. One to keep MOC/MIB, at least one to open, and one unopened for the boy. Now the boy is 12 and does not care one iota. His response to Joe is about the same response I had to my parents back in the day when they would talk about watching Howdy Doody. :whatever:

So the next time a Joe movie comes along and gets fans lathered up while there is a lack of new product on the shelves, I'll be having a very big sale on at least one of everything.

Looking back, it's odd that we knew at the time that we were in the second golden age of 4" figures, and we were exactly right. But if you'd told me a decade ago what the 4" landscape would look line in 2019, I wouldn't have believed it.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
When you think about it, the action figure hotness only lasted for 10'ish years in the 80's. It started getting awful the more time went on, limping along. The hilarious part is that both waves were sold to the same group of boys/men.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
It's true. We were the perfect ages both times around.

Well, I broke down and pledged to this KS. I'm more interested in the two female stretch goals that probably won't unlock than the base figures on offer, but given the lack of any kind of military figures at 6", I feel the need to support this, just like I did Articulated Icons and Army Alphas. The Icons figures are great, and I have high hopes for the Alphas. Hopefully this will add to the cobbled together 6" military team. Lord knows hasbro doesn't seem interested in making any.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
OK, the first AF kickstarter didn't fund, but the second attempt has already exceeded it's goal, so it's a go.

With 29 hours to go, it looks like a good chance to get some nice 1:12 military figs with decent customization potential. I'm sad they made the female figures the long-shot stretch goals, as they'll never get those funded, but I have to imagine that they'll be back for another round after the first is completed.

I ordered five figures, and I'll probably go in for a couple of the add-ons. The two unlocked add-on figures are clearly Snake Eyes and Firefly-based, so it'll take very little work to make them pretty awesome looking.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I went in for one, so the next time I talk to Bobby, I'm not uncomfortable when he asks if I pledged yet.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I just feel bad for the crap he had to deal with on Hisstank. I’ve talked to him about the trademark stuff at Joe Fest and I don’t know why anyone should care enough about how he legally got them or why they feel the need to take a stand up for a poor fledgling corporation that’s one of the largest toy producers in the world.

The story, as of now, isn’t my cup of tea, but GI Joe Year One probably wouldn’t be either so it might develop into something I like.

I think he should get credit for actually trying to create a supporting story, unlike most of the other Kickstarters.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Yeah, being from Hasbro DNA, he would feel the need to add a backstory. It's what separated Joe from other army toys and what made TF different from other little robots. That being said, I got in on this campaign for the military-themed custom fodder. We all want 6" Joes, not their red-headed cousin. I care not for whatever fiction he's building around the property. But whatever it takes to get more figures made, I applaud him for taking those steps.

Reactions: Mistermarks101

Mistermarks101

The Unwashed
Dec 20, 2016
BBTS has pre-orders up for this line, I pledged for the three core figures I might get the two figures add-ons down the road. My little boy likes the bone collector, and he wants them now.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I finally got my initial shipment from the Valaverse AF Kickstarter:
2x Condor (i.e. Not-Duke)
2x Steel Brigade
Bone Collector
3x Swarm Troopers
Urban Trooper (i.e. Not-Firefly)
Special Ops Trooper (i.e. Not-Snake-Eyes)

I have several more that I ordered via BBTS that haven't dropped yet, but I have to say, this initial batch is badass. I originally backed the KS to get fodder for Joe customs... from back in the pre-Classified days. Now that Classified is out, running strong, AND trending back toward classic ARAH aesthetics, my need to make stuff from these figures is practically gone. Yet I REALLY like them.

They are very detailed, have essentially the same articulation as Classified, most come with extra heads/helmets, all come with extra hands and lots of accessories, and a stand & filecard. The Swarm troops that I just ordered on a lark, thinking I'd repaint them into Coil Troopers or something, are some of the neatest figures I've held in a while. I'll try to take some pics this weekend.

Overall, I didn't start out to collect this line outright. The fiction around it is a bit cliche'd and superficial (new civil war splits US, bad groups popped up, elite team of international troops has to protect innocents from evil groups -- meh). But the figures are pretty great. I imagine they will appeal even more to those of you who are more into modern realistic/near-future military and not bothered by the lack-o-nostalgia.

In the last week they opened POs for the second wave, including a sweet BBTS exclusive Night Force Steel Brigade figure that's black w/ hints of neon green and a heavy arms Swarm trooper, and they previewed the third wave which is all female (Lady-Jaye-ish heroic female, Zarana-ish evil female, female Steel Brigade, and some others (presumably a female generic blue trooper to use with that "other" franchise).

So far, the new Action Force has definitely exceeded my expectations.

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
I got 2 desert rats in yesterday - not a huge fan of the guy its based on - but great modern military fodder. Kitbashed these 3 last night - still have Price in works.

Attachments

• cod.jpg
    cod.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
Reactions: nacho