1/18th Scale Mi-24 Hind Will Become A Reality !!!

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
OK guys as promised time to unveil my next project .

Not sure if this should go here in the Cold War or Go into Modern. Hopefully the mods can place it were it needs to go.

As the title says it will be the Hind !!!

I already have something to show but it will be later on this afternoon.

I have enlisted the help of a talented 3-D plotter on the Small Scale board to start the project.

He will be plotting the smaller componets and I will be building the larger ones.

I have done the polls and the est. price will be $350-$450 .

This will be the biggest project yet , about 38 inches long but not as many parts as my Tiger II .

Stay tuned !!

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Here we go. After an hour of letting the paint dry it is not fully dry. The primer I used is laquer I guess I need to use a acrylic primer.

Oh well other than a few finger prints here you go.

The cockpit.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Figure compatible?
Metal or metal-reinforced gear and main rotor blades?
Munition options?
IR suppressors?

Vindicare86

TANSTAAFL
Apr 4, 2011
Germantown, MD
I can't quite make out the Vodka cup holder though.

Pilot's helmet has one of those party hat things with a straw, no need for cup holders.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Figure compatible?
Metal or metal-reinforced gear and main rotor blades?
Munition options?
IR suppressors?

1. Yes the figs will fit but in order to fit them now , I had to pop their feet off. I will deepen the foot wells so this will not have to happen in the production kits.

2.Metal gear and rotor. I priced having metal gears made but it is a little cost prohibitive. So I just may do a metal skeleton as I did for my Horten project. I will put a metal rod in the main rotor blades and I will make it so they are reversible .

3.Munitions . I will be doing the E version so I will using the pointy 24 rocket pods along with the Spiral tubed missiles.

4. Heat IR shield . I do not know as of yet my Trumpeter kit does not have them in it. If I can get some measurements I can make it. So no defenative on that one as of yet.

azslogan

Officer
Mar 14, 2013
This is going to be EPIC. Glad to see you putting the time into some more modern era goodies and filling some huge holes in people's collections. No company is going to do this. Glad to see it done!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
1. Yes the figs will fit but in order to fit them now , I had to pop their feet off. I will deepen the foot wells so this will not have to happen in the production kits.
That's good to see

2.Metal gear and rotor. I priced having metal gears made but it is a little cost prohibitive. So I just may do a metal skeleton as I did for my Horten project. I will put a meal rod in the main rotor blades and I will make it so they are reversible .
Good to hear. Collapsed gear and flaccid blades during in-flight display makes us all sad pandas.

3.Munitions . I will be doing the E version so I will using the pointy 24 rocket pods along with the Spiral tubed missiles.

Bummer. For the price I'd expect some options.

4. Heat IR shield . I do not know as of yet my Trumpeter kit does not have them in it. If I can get some measurements I can make it. So no defenative on that one as of yet.

I know there are aftermarket add-ons for the Hind kits, but as yet I've not found the the official Russian nomenclature for the suppressors system. Pics abound, but I'll keep looking.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
As far a munition options there are always options.

What the people want they will get .

I was just planning for a standard load out .

But the larger rocket pod and gun pod could be options but these things do make time to make and this will be a long project in the making.

Next to come will be the canopies.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
No not yet we are still in the prototype mode .

I was trying to get one of the rocket pods built up but work interjected.

My 3-d guy almost has the canopies ready to print !!

3-D printing is an expensive way to go. But the cockpit that you see would have taken me about 3 weeks to build. So it does have it's advantages.

But it is an investment. Cost of this project to date.

2 x 1/35 Trumpeter kits --------$200
3-D printing cockpit --------------$240
3-D printing canopies ------------$100
R and D books --------------------$100

Total-------------------------------$640

Not including man hours I have about $180 invested in the HUMVEE project . That includes models and reference books as well.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Here is a Hind update.

The canopies are being processed now ( printed ) .

Hopefully they will be done and in my hands next week.

I have about 3 days now into the pointy rocket pod .

The rocket pod was / is a lot more challenging than I thought it would be .

Getting those oval shaped openings just right is proving to be very vexing .

Then I will have to turn around and break it down in order to cast it.

That will be another hurdle.

After working on this rocket pod all of the other ordanance that were used on the Hind will be a walk in the park to replicate .

Glad I did the most complicated one first.

BTW

I was playing around with my full sized prints ( 1/18th scale ) and I placed the new Black Hawk on them to do a size comparison .

The Hind is a full 4 inches longer or the full length of the vertical stabilizer .

The Hind is about 2 inches taller.

Imagine cutting the double engine intake scoops off horizontally all the way back and placing the turtle deck on top of the roof of the Pave Hawk.

Then put the rotor on top of that .

The Hind is a big bird !!!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Been tellin' y'all how massive it would be for years.

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
It really is a tank with rotors, they flew them frequently when I was at Ft. Bliss for VACR and they were imposing as hell.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
They brought it to the airshow here a few years back. Definitely the highlight of my airshow life.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
I have received the canopy and it looks good. Some minor issues but nothing that can't be worked out .

I am having comp issues AGAIN and am having problems posting pics.

I hate assholes who started playing with viruses .

Is there a way to make comps virus proof ?

I guess not , just ask Sony.

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
I have received the canopy and it looks good. Some minor issues but nothing that can't be worked out .

I am having comp issues AGAIN and am having problems posting pics.

I hate assholes who started playing with viruses .

Is there a way to make comps virus proof ?

I guess not , just ask Sony.

Actually yes. Unfortunately, virus proof means never connecting to the internet, installing a game, or any software ever.

saltymarine

Enlisted
Aug 22, 2011
Get an apple, iPod device, never had any issues since I made the switch, no viruses, spam,no protection money, no worries .

birddog

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 23, 2011
This is going to be an epic project!! Can't wait to see more. Looking awesome Matt!!

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Thanks guys !!

Looks like not a lot of love for the rocket pod but I am not finished with it.

Some good news for the project .

it looks like I found a metal caster who can cast the landing gear in pewter or white metal at a VERY reasonable price. That is real good news .

My plan is to make the nose gear swing back and the main gear will be plug and play. Metal gear should be enough to hold this beasty up .

Also I am thinking of making the main rotor hub ( or least some key parts ) out of metal as well.

So hopefully drooping blades will not be an issue down the road.

But even injected plastic droops so I will be making my blades so you can turn them in the rotor hub to and straiten things out.

Not much progress but still great news !!!!

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
thanks guys.

Hey guys . it has been a semi long time since an update .

I just received some parts from shapeways and they are just fantastic !!!

I just got an email from my GRAND WIZARD CAD PROGRAMMER and he said that it is ok to release his identity.

it is JAY FROM NEW ZEALAND . he is graciously plotting the parts from a trumpeter kit that I sent to him on his spare time . no rest for the weary , hugh JAY ?

NOT SURE IF I CAN HOLD A CAMERA UP TO TAKE PICS SO I WILL TRY TO GET MY WIFE TO TRY AND TAKE THEM.

now we are a bit early in this project to start taking deposit but ........... the coffers are almost empty.

the money that I squirreled away for this project is almost gone and the next BIG piece is costing $300-$450 to get printed --frosted detail to ultra frosted detail .

I have money for the lesser quality but not for the ultra.

my price point for the kits is $ 350-$450 .

if any of you all would want to contribute to this 3-d CAD prototype build I am accepting deposits now to keep this project going.

I will build the main body and blades myself. the printing pricess are just too high .

if anybody who donates $300 or over no matter how much the final cost on the HIND WILL BE consider your full kit as paid for .

this will be a presale bonus.

so if any of you guys can , I need help financing this project.

OF COURSE I WILL TAKE SMALLER DONATIONS.

I will simply deduct this from the total cost of the kit.

Please pm me for your contributions .

thanks ,

MATTHEW

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
I just sent in the full pre-payment, I think that is a great deal and I look forward to another great kit from you. If anybody else is on the fence, I had no reservations because Pickle has always delivered!