1/18th Scale Mi-24 Hind Will Become A Reality !!!

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Thanks Eddie , you have been a long time supporter of this project.

Looks like I will be working on the Hind ALL WEEK LONG !!!

That means that I will be getting closer of finishing the prototype.

At this time you lay-away guys please make your next installments.

It is almost time to start stocking up on resin and RTV.

I received samples of the cast landing gear and I like what I see. He made me samples of pewter and zinc and I need to talk to him .The zinc is a little hard to drill and the pewter seems a bit soft. Too bad there is no in between.

I am thinking of going with a zinc front gear and pewter main gears . I am not sure if this can be done. I will talk to my guy today about it.

I also got my stencil mock ups and I need to size them to the instrument panels.

We are close on the decals but are having an issue with the yellow rear rotor warning decal. So I am sending the rear boom to my decal guy so he can do his thing and size them up.

Stencils:

instrument faces and fuse numbers.

Decals :

Red stars and rear tail flash in yellow.

Right now there will be slow going because I am at the finishing , detailing part of the project. Slow going with really nothing to show for it. I intend to TRY and finish the winglets today. Then I need to finish the hard points and get them tight and right.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Time for an update .

I just got an e-mail from my metal castor and he said that the landing gear is done and it has been shipped !!

When I get it I will post pics.

My stencil guy is done and I have all of the stencils in hand. ( fuselage numbers and instrument faces )

The decal guy is done plotting and has started printing decals ( star and tail flashes ) . We were having problems trying to get the tail flashes correct but I think he nailed it. Here are some pics of the flashes . He just laid them down and has not used micro-sol yet . They look great !!

Figures

I have decided ( with the help of Daremo) to make a few options with the figures . They will have the sun visor up on the forhead and covering the face . I have abandoned the idea of cutting holes in the floor and have decided to shape the legs to fit inside of the cockpit as is .

I am having issues with the pilot's door hinge . I was tring to make it function but just having toooooooooooooooooooo much issues with it . So I have decided to make a single tab for the hinges and you can pose the door open or closed.

The same will be done to the front WSO 's windshield hatch.

Maybe in just a couple of days and I will start on the panel lines.[/quote]

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Whoa, Nacho got his own heli!

Edit: Wow this still looks cool as hell(i). Whats the buy in cost these days? Full build, the works.

With a wedding around the corner I'm pretty sure I'm tapped.. but you never know.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Whoa, Nacho got his own heli!

Edit: Wow this still looks cool as hell(i). Whats the buy in cost these days? Full build, the works.

With a wedding around the corner I'm pretty sure I'm tapped.. but you never know.

I still have it up for presale at $300 and a full build $400 more.

The presale will be over this month !!

saltymarine

Enlisted
Aug 22, 2011
So if we paid $300 up front, $400 would get us a full build ?
And what would a custom build of a USMC AAV cost, ballpark price ?

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Well I guess many of you have figured it out by now the Hind will not be ready for Christmas . I am at a point were I work on a section for a full day to get it right and have nothing to show.

And there are many of those sections .

I am working on the cockpit now which is the most busiest part of the build.

I have doors windows and main landing gear that attaches to it that need to work . I have them all worked out but I need to refine the finish .

AND THAT TAKES THE LONGEST TIME TO FINISH. PUTTY SAND PAINT REPEAT !!!

All my subed out parts are in !!! Metal landing gear , stencils and decals .

Daremo is working on the pilot and WSO. We are going to offer choices on the two. Open face with visor on the helmet and closed face with visor down.
The crew will have fixed legs but the torso, arms and head will move.

I have decided to stage the figures SO AS NOT TOHAVE TO CUT HOLES IN THE FLOOR . You guys wanting to use your own figures can still do this and if you choose to do so the feet will be hidden by the gun pod beneath the fuselage .

I have fitted the metal gear on the fuselage and it stands true . Presently I am working on the canopy and adding reinforcing strips to make it a little more robust . I am designing it to be removable so as to have access to the cockpit and figure removal .

As stated before all this takes TIME and I am hoping this will be the best creation I have made so far . And I hope you guys will be proud to own it !!

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
Very exciting update! Those are killer landing gear.

What is a AAV ?

Assault Amphibious Vehicle

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I have them all worked out but I need to refine the finish .

AND THAT TAKES THE LONGEST TIME TO FINISH. PUTTY SAND PAINT REPEAT !!!

I haaaaaaaaaaaaate finishing work! So time consuming with barely anything to show for it. :grumpy:

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Dose the AAV have the same running gear as the M-113 ?

If so that project would be doable.

Making all new running gear from scratch is pure hell .

I know this .

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
I'd say it's closer to an M2/M3 Bradley. Bigger than the M113 but smaller than the M1A1.

saltymarine

Enlisted
Aug 22, 2011
I'd say it's closer to an M2/M3 Bradley. Bigger than the M113 but smaller than the M1A1.

Yes, same runing gear and treads/sprockets as M113 & Bradly, so I would be down to fund mine, get you drawings and a 1/35 scale kit and anything else I could do to help, you know by now I'm good for it $$.

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
I'd use the 21st Century M2 or the Unimax M3 for the running gear and treads. One of those has to be close to scale and they both have the correct number of wheels/sprockets. The 21st M113 is short one wheel.

saltymarine

Enlisted
Aug 22, 2011
I have an extreme detail 21st M41 Walker tank that has treads and running gear very close with correct amount of road wheels, I was going to try to build one myself but I haven't the time or means to build like the pickel does, plus I have the cash so why not, I rode around in these aluminum coffins for 4 years, that's an experience you never forget, especially ship to shore and back, imagine being locked in a van, full of diesel fumes, MRE farts, and seawater Up to your knees, its hot, your bobbing around, everybody's sea sick after 5 minutes, then somebody Barfs in his helmet, somebody else Barfs in the water, it's floating around your legs, getting into your pants n boots, and you've got 20 or so minuts left before you can get out! Great memories, I'd defiantly do it all again LOL!!!

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
A little progress here are the completed pilot and WSO .

The legs have been worked on allowing them to sit in the seat right.

WSO

Here is the pilot . I reworked his arm as well. A little tweaking on his arm join and he will be ready for casting.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
The cockpit is done !!!!

The grill behind the pilots seat is a little wanky but you almost will not see it. You get just a glimpse of it looking through the crew cab. I did not want to leave that are and across to the port side open . So I put the protective grid ( in front of the radio ) and the port side tube stiffeners.

I need to tweak out the walls in the crew cab and I am ready to move out to the exterior .[/quote]

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
This project is 2 YEARS IN THE MAKING !!

I have completed the interior and have started I the final exterior.

I have come up with the final tail securing method.

I have 2 long screws that hold the main fuselage halves together internally and have a single screw pinning the tail to the main fuse.

The tail is a TIGHT fit but I think the 2 main parts should be screwed together for safeties sake.

No need for pics at this time.

Finalization is getting short guys !!!

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Getting close guys .

Here is about 2 hours of work laying out the lines. Another 3 hours to finish then about 6 hours to actually scribe the lines.

I hope to have the panel lines done this week .

Dare I say molding will start hopefully next week ?

Once the mold making starts the production price will be in effect.

$375-$425 I will be asking .

So get in while the getting is good.

Yes I do take lay aways . :wink:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Damn..

I know if I put $$$ down for the kit, it'd stay a kit and I'd never get it properly assembled. The finished one seems like the better bet for me.. but where am I going to find $700?

I should have registered for a Hind for my wedding ;)

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Update on orders. Keep them coming guys !!!

YT
PVANROY
SALTYMARINE
LEE PATERSON------------Full Build !! The first !!
BLACK DRAGON ONE
COREY-D
TOM EDWARDS X 3 ---3 full builds !!!!!!!!!!!!!
KERRY MOZINGO
SLOGAN-----------------Full build !!
ROBBIE PIERCE
MORGUHN
JORGE BAHAMONDE X 2 !!
Jay !!!
Daremo
Grunt -----------------full build !!
Aviator Nut -----------Full build !!
Helo Driver
Alf
TOOL
Hellpop
Margras 77
C130IM X 2 !!!
Keith B

27 kits !!!

9 full builds !!!

Price increase is a couple of weeks away guys.