3-D Printing Site

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I think the best way to start with this is some basic weapons/supplies. See how they come out, how expensive a set of rifles is, etc. If the price isn't ridiculous it'd be worth trying to bigger projects.

Lunchbox

No Bucks No Buck Rogers
Mar 14, 2011
Kansas
trust me i have been doing research on this for over a year now and if i had the funds i would make it a reality.

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
No doubt. Certainly too rich for my budget.

I honestly have no idea how this technology works, or the costs involved, so I have no basis to judge what are reasonable prices. But the good news is that someone is thinking about applying them to Joes. In a year or two, hopefully others will follow suit. Increased competition and decreased cost of technology => lower costs (or so a boy can hope....)

Lord knows someone can make a killing just selling vintage-style missiles.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Prices on the hardware are gonna have to come down, first. Not entirely down to consumer prices, as then all you'd need those guys for is to create the file for the printer to execute.

These are still having the rough-ish texture common for 3D printing, yes?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Well, the ones that aren't outright 3D renderings definitely have that...... grainy appearance to them.

Tracker

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2011
I know HP makes 3D printer that's for sell to the public but it's still a bit much as I think I last heard the cost was $17,000

Last edited:

Wild weasel

needs killer whale parts!
Jun 9, 2011
they are shown in the link on the first post of this thread. tpye i 1/18 or asphalt it should come up

Noneya

The Unwashed
Aug 5, 2011
$4+ for one glaive!! Yikes.

Wonder what shipping is like.

Still.. if you could create something super awesome..

The price isn't too far off from what Slayer Design or Hunter Artworks normally charges.

I heard on the WOJM podcast where the interviewed the guy that did those vehicle kits and he said that whenthey show uo, there's no flashing or fine-tuning needed. They're ready to go when they hit your doorstep.

Akunin

Snow Bunny
Apr 7, 2011
I'm seriously looking into doing this as well. Can't seem to find the stuff for the dio's I want to make... so I might have to "make" them myself.

First a few Joe scale items I'm going to look into

dumpster lid too

with lid on (not to submit to shapeway this way, just seeing if they fit)

and a bunch of stuff (much cheaper due to size) for the 1:500/1:700 Godzilla dio's. no pictures but working on some housing, office buildings, M1A1 tanks and I may have found a guy on shapeways that does the f-22 in 1:700 already. :)

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
A thought occured to me. Wouldn't it be nice if pickel had a CAD program or 3D scanner?

pickel's skills + CAD program or 3D scanner + Shapeways - Resin and RTV costs = cheaper and more projects for all!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Indeed. If I had any technical drawing ability I'd look into doing the CAD thing. I'd really love a GAU-19, or triple TOW launchers for a Vietnam Huey.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
GI Guppy over at Hisstank (Giga Bread on Facebook) has been working with Shapeways for a little while now and has come up with some cool stuff. He's been trying to figure out how to cut costs, but Shapeways is really for someone to make a sculpt to use for a Master Mold and then cast your own copies.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/gigabread

malcadon

H8ter4life
Mar 14, 2011
Pimpvile
I posted this on another topic:

One thing I should add is the development of 3-D printing. Currently, a 3-D printer costs $1000, and makes forms with a layered-pattern texture that requires sanding, but this is new technology. Originally, this was developed by medical engineers to manufacturer replacement organs out of stem-cells. Once this technology becomes more affordable and refined, we can scan, edit and print-out whole armies of game miniatures and action figures, with a wide range of props and accessories! Hell, I have seen third-party manufactures that produce G.I.Joe scripts that looks better and more uniformed then what Hasbro generally produces.

You can hear more about it here and here.

And yes, I'm looking forwards to more development with this technology (and hope the big manufactures don't try to stifle in it's development and availability).

zombieinthehat

Enlisted
Apr 13, 2012
Not wanting to raise a thread from the grave, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread on a previously discussed topic either. I'm wanting to give Shapeways a shot at making bucks for molding and casting, as my sculpting ability seems to lack... well... ability. Is it cost effective to hire a 3D modeler to make the 3D art for Shapeways, or am I going to be paying out the bunghole for a modeler to render 1:18th scale body parts before even getting to the printing stage?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It's gonna depend on what a 3D artist is gonna charge you. It's gonna add significantly to the price of the project. Probably pay more for a good artist than you will casting supplies.

Tofujesse

Enlisted
Mar 15, 2012
CA
Someone local gave me some stuff to cast that they had done by shapeways. I kinda didn't like it, it was to detailed which made the surface look rough. I can post a hi-res pic if you want to see it. plus the cross sections were way to thin, maybe it would be good for lager prototype parts.

zombieinthehat

Enlisted
Apr 13, 2012
Scratch that idea anyway. My brain kicked on for the first time in a while tonight. I was on facebook chatting with my best friend since the 8th grade (some 14 years ago) when it occurred to me that he had just graduated from college after studying art for 6 years!

"Hey Dan, can you sculpt?"
"Yeah, why?"
"Wanna sculpt me some custom GI Joe parts?"
"Sure, sounds fun!"

Pffft... And I was gonna pay some stranger 35 bucks an hour to make a 3d model. All I have to pay Dan is Crunch bars and Chinese food! Now the plan is back on track.

genkhrylov

Enlisted
Mar 18, 2011
Some things to consider on shapeways:
They have flat shipping fee
Each material has a handling fee, so order all your things in the same material if you can
The reason to use shapeways is the shop feature. Others ship much faster than shapeways. I've been using other printers for my items, so I have fast turnaround for printouts that I then need to change. If I waited for shapeways to print, then make the changes etc then reprinted, changed reprinted etc I'd be looking into making a shapeways shop in 2015( not literally, but you know..)
For casting, use a different material for the prototype. No problem to cast in several of their materials, right up to silver, gold plated, etc. choose a good material that is non porous and no problems.

For scale items: do not make 1/18 for gi joe as it is wrong. I have spent AGES on this and 1/16 is the right scale for gi joe items. 1/18 might be someone's preference but it looks very small and the difference is noticeable for sure.

Scale guns need to be thicker than is correct for scale. A correct thickness gun is incredibly thin ( looks about 20 percent or less of the thickness of an mj gun).

If you want to see the correct scale, send me your email and I'll send you a pic of a mj Ak next to a 1/16 scale, and they are the same scale and look right.

For shapeways shops: order your items n the same material, as you pay less per item due to handling fee. Shipping is a flat rate too. For small items put them on a sprue or they loose them.

If you have any questions, let me know...I use shapeways but am doing a lot to make it optimised for what we need in our scale. There are a lot of potential pitfalls with their service...

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
People that are looking into making items to mold or cast, I would suggest starting small and investing a little more into a rapid prototyping company. The cost is going to be about 5-6x what the FUD material is on Shapeways but the results are amazing, and perfect for molding.

I've had a couple of people try to mold some of my stuff and the texture left behind will grab the rubber and not let go. There are companies that use a very good high res machine with a really good support material that generates a nice, smooth, usable model. Shapeways is really good for getting the scaling right on items like heads.

Also, the handling mentioned above, is a per item fee, unless you bundle the items into a single file. But it's sort of an unwritten rule that you don't do this.