AV-8B first look.

Beeavision

A pirate's life for me!
Mar 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
So any of the air to ground weapons in this chart could be fair game then. I guess will soon find out in the coming months.

Beeavision

A pirate's life for me!
Mar 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
lord almighty. haha if I go back I'll try and ask.. I doubt it, but who knows.

Well, you did say earlier there was nothing to report in from BBI. So maybe not. Worth asking anyhow if you have the time. Besides I have an extra F-16 pilot I could use later.

azslogan

Officer
Mar 14, 2013
Seems like early in the show it was $250 trying to hold down to the $200 range. By the end of the show it was in the $250 to $300 range. I don't want to pay for access panels and lighting. If I wanna spend $300 I'll by an F-14.

thelegoguy

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2011
AV-8.....Attack VTOL Model 8......XV-4 was called Hummingbird(never entered service), XV-3 was a tilt rotor(never entered service)...not sure about the rest

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011
thingsatwistedewokwouldsay.blogspot.com
Here's what I'm thinking, the access panels and lighting cost cents on the dollar where as the cost for the overall model is what's expensive. However, to offset the cost and make it look more appealing, they throw in the cheap LEDs and a little detail like engine and covers.

if those things were raising the cost, you'd think they would disregard them to keep the price lower.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I'd be curious to see how much they do add to the overall cost, though I agree for the most part it can't be that much.

I can understand the panels, they put the effort into making the VTOL stuff movable, might as well be able to see it.

Not sure why the electronics are needed, but maybe it's something they want to incorporate in all their modern jets?

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, I think BBI got it right with the level of detail vs. durability. They kept the price reasonable. I don't like the direction the price is going on this one.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I dunno, if they want 3 c-notes from me I'm gonna need something in camo:

No excuses.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
LOL that would be nice.

Even BBI has jacked up their prices recently.. and those molds were already made.

I wish I had an accurate gauge on how much labor etc has risen in China over the last decade.

The R&D aspect shouldn't be too much more than before, I'm guessing the extra cost has to be in the manufacturing.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
LOL that would be nice.

Even BBI has jacked up their prices recently.. and those molds were already made.

I wish I had an accurate gauge on how much labor etc has risen in China over the last decade.

The R&D aspect shouldn't be too much more than before, I'm guessing the extra cost has to be in the manufacturing.

With 3D programs and rapid prototyping you'd think so. I think a lot of it is labor costs in China and the price of oil, which affects just about every stage of the process.

Wasn't it $100 difference for the F-14 vs F-14 with lights?

I think so.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I think the S2 was $299 MSRP? Was the original $199? I can't remember.. it's been such a long time.

Honestly no one ever thought we'd get a F-14 in 1:18, and while they certainly screwed the pooch with the SpotCat, the S2 Black Knights version was amazing and about everything you'd want from a F-14A (y u no make F-14D!??). But as per the usual toy fan market.. there was a chorus of "I'd buy 10 of those!" to in actuality very little people paying the money to own one. the S2 was limited to, what, 888 units I believe? And you can still find them on sale at some places.

With those kinds of sales numbers, I'd be hesitant to even MAKE anything new.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I think it's got to be something that people can afford, but want to put the money out for.

It looks great, but I don't think the AV-8B was top 3 on ANBODY'S list. I think they've got an appallingly short list of subjects they think they can make and people will buy.

I think they know folks will buy a Hind, but they can't see anyway to get it out and it not be, like, 400USD or more. Same with the 'Hog.

Unfortunately we're subject to the buying public. Sure, military enthusiasts might spring for an H-13, or an OV-10 Bronco, but most people would be like, "what the fuck are those?".

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I think thats a big difference between SSHQ and us, those guys tend to have a lot more cash to throw around for something they like, which unfortunately tends to be WWII based.

Since we fell from the Joe-fan tree.. we tend to be cheap asses, who look to ROSS, and place price over quality 90% of the time.

I still think $300 is too high for the Harrier, but it is what it is.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I think we are willing to spend the money on what we want, but we know what that is, and it's generally not what gets made. I'd drop 300 on a Hind. It would hurt like hell, but I put my collecting money where my mouth is most of the time.

I agree, SSHQ is definitely skewed towards WWII, which is fine unless you're vying for the attention of a handful of manufacturers and one or two talented fabricators/kit creators.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
The original price of the F-14 was $170 IIRC...

I think it's got to be something that people can afford, but want to put the money out for.

This ^^^...I can afford it, but I don't have that much desire for a harrier...it's cool most certainly, but not $300 (plus shipping) cool

Unfortunately we're subject to the buying public. Sure, military enthusiasts might spring for an H-13, or an OV-10 Bronco, but most people would be like, "what the fuck are those?".
That's what I was thinking :D

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011

The H-13 would have been a no-brainer. I would buy a set of vintage M*A*S*H figures to go with it. :D

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
The Harrier had me at $200 and would make me take a hard look at the books at $250, but $300 with a bunch of crap I'll turn on exactly 16 times and open up 9 times to peek inside at $300? I just can't do it.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
<—— doesn't care about either of them :eek:

*secretly doesn't care about a 1:18 A-10*

Different strokes. I get it.

The Harrier had me at $200 and would make me take a hard look at the books at $250, but $300 with a bunch of crap I'll turn on exactly 16 times and open up 9 times to peek inside at $300? I just can't do it.

Yeah, lights and lots of moving bits doesn't appeal to me.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011

That sums it up for me perfectly...and would apply to a lot of other jets...I pretty much have a $200 limit for jets that aren't "must haves" yet still desirable...

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Oh I see it, but I'm not interested...my acceptable price to worth line in the sand is being crossed by almost everyone these days...for the money they want, I just don't have to have it that badly anymore...and when I do cave, I regret it...

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, $200 is my limit for pretty much anything but an A-10, which I'd probably go to about $300 if it was well armed and came with a pilot. So far, this Harrier is falling short on the price, the model selected and the unnecessary detailing. Right now this is looking like a big pass for me...

Beeavision

A pirate's life for me!
Mar 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
Oh, here we go again....the topic of pricing. I'm going to try and stay out of this one.

Btw, I managed to pull together a few stranglers over at SSHQ who are big fans for modern jets. So there is still hope for that site after all. :D

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah, I don't know. Pricing definitely tosses a number of people out of the game before it even begins, which sucks, but that's life.

I don't think (Actually I don't know) the 1:18 jet community is as fanboyish as say Star Wars or GI JOE, where people feel some sort of urge or need to collect everything that is produced.

The pricing also pushes away the "Army Builder" type, who wants to collect a whole air force of something for whatever purpose.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I get why things gave gotten so expensive (among the genuine reasons [gas/labor/inflation], there's also ourselves as a community to blame, i.e. setting a precedence by paying scalpery ebay prices), so I'm not getting all huffy or begrudging any company for that...I'm just saying its not worth it TO ME...

Anyone that has the means, :thumbsup:...good for you...I'm jealous I'm not rolling it enough to pay crazy (from my POV) prices for things I'm meh on...and like Dan said, if this were an A-10, I'd have no problem with $300+...so I get why some will want this, since it may be their dream bird...and if that's the case, again, good for you :)

But again, I don't NEED it that badly...

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It had better start to be.

:D

Uh... Rotary wing or GTFO!

Yeah, that's it.

Beeavision

A pirate's life for me!
Mar 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
If you want to talk about prices lets tackle the cost of groceries. Talking about pissing/sh*ting your money away. Pardon my French. lol It may not be long before I might have to resort to our primitive ways of hunting and gathering. I even know a couple neighbors who are growing their own vegetable gardens out back to help avoid the high costs associated with organic foods.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
They could have made it for $200 without the wiz-bang features as the F-14 proves. Why can't they have 2 different models this time? Toss in a pilot and bombs with the lights on the $300 version for the collectors who want to pony up for the big boy.

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011
thingsatwistedewokwouldsay.blogspot.com
If you want to talk about prices lets tackle the cost of groceries. Talking about pissing/sh*ting your money away. Pardon my French. lol It may not be long before I might have to resort to our primitive ways of hunting and gathering. I even know a couple neighbors who are growing their own vegetable gardens out back to help avoid the high costs associated with organic foods.

one perk of living in the country, real farmer's markets. I can a dozen eggs for $1.50, fresh vegetables by the grocery bag for $2.00 (not pounds) fruit is the same (apples, berries, strawberries. I can get a huge watermelon for $2.50 and if I buy a cantaloup with it, I add $1.00.

Beeavision

A pirate's life for me!
Mar 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
I'm hoping to move out of Florida and purchase a property up in the hills of North Carolina. The more remote and higher the elevation the better. There I plan to make good friends with the native hillbillies and learn the craft of living off the land and not society. That way if either our government falls or a zombie apocalypse breaks out, what ever comes first I will be ready guns and all. lol Maybe with some luck I'll end up like the mountain man in those Dr. Pepper commercials. lol