British SAS Desert Patrol Jeep "Part 3"

TheHun

Enlisted
Mar 18, 2011
Once everything is added on, with more detailing, the end results are amazing, A $7.00 ebay junk jeep is now a one of a kind custom show piece, even tho after studying these photos i see some things that will have to be addressed to bring it into a Realistic mode, enjoy the photos below

Next i will be building 2 custom figures for the crew

Last edited:

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
:eek: That thing is awesome TH! The amount of detail in every little thing is astonishing. Even the belt holding stuff down has great detail. You really pulled out all the stops on this. Do you have a reference picture that you used? I'd like to see how it compares because I bet if you put that vehicle in a diorama people would not know it was a toy.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
I agree with everything MB said^ I love the little things. Maps in center console. open map on dash. A fricking compass. Outstanding paint apps. it looks used and abused in a natural looking way after a long deployment. bravo bravo bravo!

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
They summed it up!!! Very inspirational.

I have been searching for a Land Rover but gave up and have the Veitnam spec op Jeep I plan to do something similar to. To get around the difference in grille I hung a couple packs in front of the headlight area.

Dude,... Your weathering skills are tremendous!!

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
Wow, I always love your work, but you outdid yourself on this one!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
...put that vehicle in a diorama people would not know it was a toy.

yer not kidding...if it was in setting that didn't give away scale, you'd never know it was a toy...

this thing came out amazing Hun...the details you put in are things that i would just be too lazy to get too...and you not only add them in, you make them perfect too...

bravo brutha!

TheHun

Enlisted
Mar 18, 2011
Thanks Guys,
I had several reference books i used, and no two photos were alike, I think these guys just set these jeeps up like they wanted, I hate that i did not take more detailed photos of the build but i get carried away building and forget to take the dam photos, I'll try to do better, I can only do 10 photos a post so that is the reason there are 3 parts, I'll start on the figures when i get a little time, But anyway i'm glad you guys like it, I have been wanting to do one of these for a while.
Thanks again
TheHun
TheWooferCustoms.com

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
It is cool looking.

The water tank on the bumper. Was that to replace the radiator or extra cooling liquid for the engine ?

Did all the desert jeeps have them ?

I am not knowledgeable of SAS operation vehicles.

Good job.:)

TheHun

Enlisted
Mar 18, 2011
It was just a added water supply for jeeps radiator, It worked kinda like a over flow on cars today, the radiator's on these WW-2 jeeps are very small, The couple that i have restored, when i drive them i always have to watch the water, the run hot pretty easy, by the research i have done about 90% of these British special service jeeps that operated in the Desert had them added

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
It was just a added water supply for jeeps radiator, It worked kinda like a over flow on cars today, the radiator's on these WW-2 jeeps are very small, The couple that i have restored, when i drive them i always have to watch the water, the run hot pretty easy, by the research i have done about 90% of these British special service jeeps that operated in the Desert had them added

Cool thanks for the info :)

oddball

Enlisted
Mar 14, 2011
that is awesome. im a big fan of sas. didnt some of those jeeps come in pink also????

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
If I'm not mistaken, that was one of the Brit's standard camo for the desert. Sort of a pale pink color. It was supposed to have worked remarkably well. I know it was applied to SAS vehicles, but I can't say about anything larger.

TheHun

Enlisted
Mar 18, 2011
every photo i could find on the SAS jeep showed them a Desert tan, on the larger vehicles such as the Chevy Truck that the British SAS used they did have a pink tint to them, I found a lot of those photos, I'm sure some jeeps were painted in the pink tint also but i liked the Tan color better.

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
I'm positive that there were many shades field applied to their trucks. That was in no way a slight to your work Hun, they look amazing! I prefer the tan myself. Again, awesome work! Any plans for the Chevy? ;)

TheHun

Enlisted
Mar 18, 2011
Hey Midget,
No problem my Friend, as a matter of fact i ordered a 1/35 SAS Truck today, so i would have something to go by when i start one in 1/18.

Trimmers

The Unwashed
Nov 7, 2012
London
Amazing Work. Well done.

The colour scheme is perfect, the pale desert pink colour was not introduced until the late 50's when the SAS started using Series II Long Wheelbase Land Rovers