Captain America figures

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Man, Hasbro really messed up on the Captain America toys. After seeing the movie I've fully realized just how many capitol opportunities Hasbro missed out on. There were so many cool characters and vehicles they could have made cool toys of. Instead the shelves are stocked with millions of variants of the good ol' cap with stupid snowboards and gimmicky missile launchers. We COULD have had a figure of Dum Dum Dugan, but no, we had to have snow boarder cap. You know what variant of Cap I would have rather had? one where he was wearing that brown leather jacket. We didn't even get that.

They even went to infinity and beyond to mess up the toy line by making figures of characters who weren't really in the movie, like Captain Britain, U.S. Agent, and winter soldier (aka soviet buckey), and crossbones. two of those figures might I point out were already being sold as part of the Marvel Universe line. I don't mind crossbones, but he should have been in the marvel universe line like the rest of them.

Why does Hasbro have to be so fucking retarded?! Did they even communicate with the movie makers? it's almost like Marvel told them "hey we're making a movie make some toys. need concept art?" and then Hasbro was all like "DERP DERP DERP DERP NO WE GOT IT COVERED!! DERP DERP DERP DERP!"

Last edited:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
That's a good Marvel Question!

You make good points. They did the same with the Iron Man line.. I mean really, how many variations of the damn armored suit do you need. They only had like one villain figure too!

At least GI JOE has stayed about 50/50 with Joe/Cobra forces.. the marvel movies suck ass with villains.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
I know, it's cool we got a Red Skull figure, but did he HAVE to be so fucking rare? He's pretty much why I keep crossbones in the box, in case I need to make a trade for Red Skull.

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
I totally agree. I was hoping to score some WWII-inspired figures. The Howling Commandos would have made excellent figures....

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I'm happy with got US Agent, Crossbones, and Winter Soldier in this line.

The MU line's Cap sucks and more than likely they would've used a lot of the same parts for US Agent and he would've sucked as well. So, a US Agent using the same parts as Captain America, other than the torso, is a welcome addition to my collection.

Crossbones could have been made for the MU line, but much like the Iron Man line, Hasbro likes to have both movie and comic characters in one line. I think most collectors are happy with this.

MU Winter Soldier sucks. Captain America Winter Soldier rocks. Put them side by side and there's a big difference in quality.

Now, I do wish that they would make Dum Dum Dugan and Captain America in the leather jacket. Those would be awesome and welcome additions.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I got Crossbones and Winter Soldier from this line. CB for being a good figure, and will work great as a Cobra operative. I bought WS for his SVD. He ended up in a box or bag somewhere.

I was originally gonna get a couple of the Capt. Figures to make what i wanted a WWII Captain America to look like, but after seeing them in person i just couldn't be bothered.

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
PoC has been spoiling me. When I look at other figures now, include Hasbro's Marvel lines, they just appear to have a lower lever of quality.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
PoC has been spoiling me. When I look at other figures now, include Hasbro's Marvel lines, they just appear to have a lower lever of quality.

They're definitely lower quality than Joes. Which raises the question, if MU is doing better than Joes, why is the quality of the MU figures worse??? In any case, I'm a big fan of Marvel (at least before they let Bendis screw everything up in the Marvel Universe) and collect most, if not all of the figures in each new wave.

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
They're definitely lower quality than Joes. Which raises the question, if MU is doing better than Joes, why is the quality of the MU figures worse??? In any case, I'm a big fan of Marvel (at least before they let Bendis screw everything up in the Marvel Universe) and collect most, if not all of the figures in each new wave.

I read a lot of Marvel, too. But I've only been seeing a couple figures that look good enough enough to add to my collection. And none of that includes any of the movie lines so far.

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
I think the MU line is getting better. Slowly, but it is better than the first figures they put out. I picked up a Juggernaugt and WW Hulk, both of which were pretty awesome. I''m looking forward to getting a Cable. i just wish they weren't so damn hard to find around here.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I've only got the one MU figure (as yet unopened Archangel), and i can imagine him if the Joe team had done him.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I read a lot of Marvel, too. But I've only been seeing a couple figures that look good enough enough to add to my collection. And none of that includes any of the movie lines so far.

I have most of mine displayed and they all look pretty sick together. Now most of the movie figures suck balls. Plain and simple.

I think the MU line is getting better. Slowly, but it is better than the first figures they put out. I picked up a Juggernaugt and WW Hulk, both of which were pretty awesome. I''m looking forward to getting a Cable. i just wish they weren't so damn hard to find around here.

It definitely is getting better. I like the fact that they're going back and redoing all of the figures that had the squatty sculpt (i.e. Daredevil, Bullseye, Punisher, Vision, etc...). Although they haven't show one yet, I do believe they'll go back and redo Vision. He's pretty much the most expensive fig outside of XF AA and Nick Fury.

Cable is an excellent figure as far as the MU line goes. I bought the entire wave that he was released in from BBTS.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Got the red skull today. it was perfect! he was in front of all the figures on the pegs. I quickly nabbed him. I think he with some of my German soldiers may decided to take over the At-At and steal it from the Empire and then use it against the Joes.

PS

I decided to open up Crossbones from his packaging, what a disappointment. In the box he looked like an excellent figure, but he can't really hold his weapons very well and the range of motion he has with his arms is pathetic, I'd almost compare it to the 25th SGT. Bazooka sculpts, but it's not quite that bad.

With Captain America figures having shit for leg articulation they should really be making up for it with their arms, but Crossbones fails to deliver on that. the best pose you can get him in is him holding his assault rifle, shooting from the hip. His right hand looked like his finger was made to be a trigger finger, but in fact is molded with the rest of the hand. His left hand does have a trigger finger but dose a pathetic job of keeping the SMGs in his grip. The assault rifle is the only gun he can hold in a semi reasonable pose it seems as the SMG's refuse to fit in the right hand and are barely able to stay in the left.

If you have crossbones my suggestion is to keep him in the package and sell him on Ebay a few years from now.

Red Skull on the other hand is more than worth it. It didn't matter that the leg articulation was absolute shit because even if it was like the GI Joes articulation it would still be hindered by his uniform. Red Skull isn't the kind of character you would have being posed in a crouched position (like a common soldier) or sitting down much any way. His left hand was designed to hold the Cosmic Cube but what's cooler is the unintended result of having his hand sculpted that way. He has a perfect sculpt for the "I'm going to rule the world" pose with the hand raised. His weapons can fit decently in his hands too, the Lugar can fit snugly in both hands and he can hold the gimmick launcher well too. My only true dislike is that the Head sculpt of Red Skull has a nose which is weird because in the movie he didn't. But that's more of a nitpick I suppose.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Pfttt, keep him in the package. Find some better accessories (I used 25th Firefly's M76) and an x-acto blade.

I haven't bothered with the surgical mods, as yet.

As for Red Skull, it's the boring movie design. Most people are doing better custom Red Skulls than Hasbro is ever gonna produce for the mass market.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Got the red skull today. it was perfect! he was in front of all the figures on the pegs. I quickly nabbed him. I think he with some of my German soldiers may decided to take over the At-At and steal it from the Empire and then use it against the Joes.

PS

I decided to open up Crossbones from his packaging, what a disappointment. In the box he looked like an excellent figure, but he can't really hold his weapons very well and the range of motion he has with his arms is pathetic, I'd almost compare it to the 25th SGT. Bazooka sculpts, but it's not quite that bad.

With Captain America figures having shit for leg articulation they should really be making up for it with their arms, but Crossbones fails to deliver on that. the best pose you can get him in is him holding his assault rifle, shooting from the hip. His right hand looked like his finger was made to be a trigger finger, but in fact is molded with the rest of the hand. His left hand does have a trigger finger but dose a pathetic job of keeping the SMGs in his grip. The assault rifle is the only gun he can hold in a semi reasonable pose it seems as the SMG's refuse to fit in the right hand and are barely able to stay in the left.

If you have crossbones my suggestion is to keep him in the package and sell him on Ebay a few years from now.

Red Skull on the other hand is more than worth it. It didn't matter that the leg articulation was absolute shit because even if it was like the GI Joes articulation it would still be hindered by his uniform. Red Skull isn't the kind of character you would have being posed in a crouched position (like a common soldier) or sitting down much any way. His left hand was designed to hold the Cosmic Cube but what's cooler is the unintended result of having his hand sculpted that way. He has a perfect sculpt for the "I'm going to rule the world" pose with the hand raised. His weapons can fit decently in his hands too, the Lugar can fit snugly in both hands and he can hold the gimmick launcher well too. My only true dislike is that the Head sculpt of Red Skull has a nose which is weird because in the movie he didn't. But that's more of a nitpick I suppose.

I haven't grabbed a crossbones yet but I did nab a RS awhile back. I also really love the figure. I did up a review for him here awhile back. He is a must own imo.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Pfttt, keep him in the package. Find some better accessories (I used 25th Firefly's M76) and an x-acto blade.

I haven't bothered with the surgical mods, as yet.

As for Red Skull, it's the boring movie design. Most people are doing better custom Red Skulls than Hasbro is ever gonna produce for the mass market.

As usual your fucking wrong. y r u stupidz?!

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
A buddy of mine found me a single card Hydra soldier yesterday. Probably be the only one I'll get or even see.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
You could get some Hydra soldiers, or you could just take some old 25th Cobra soldiers and paint them the same shade of greyish green. It'd be better that way because then they could actually take cover behind stuff through the classic military art known as crouching. Something a dumb-ass like Crossbones (who doesn't really belong in the toy-line anyway) wouldn't understand because he too busy fumbling his weapons.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Hey lancelot, mind snapping a pic of the kind of crouching position you were talking about? I've got about as much forward torso range as I'm likely to get, and about all that's left to do on CB is working on the crotch piece.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Ok, here's some comparison shots between a good action figure that should be held as the standard and a terrible action figure. The cobra shock trooper, like many GI Joe figures, has competent articulation, Crossbones can only get on his knees and suck someone off.

Here is the specific pose

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
That's what i thought you may have meant.

I can take out some of the upper pelvis, it might help, but it really needs a t-bar.

Hasbro will never do it, though.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
that's because they're idiots, I honestly don't know what they were thinking when they decided that it would be a good idea to fuck up the hip joints on Marvel movie figures. I wouldn't mind CB's inability to properly hold his weapons (I could just give him some extra Joe smgs or something) but the crap hip joints just ruin him. If your only going to be able to stand up then you better be able to hold your fucking gun. I think I'll have him die many lame deaths, like Boba Fett, or Robert Muldoon.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
This is what i managed to get out of him, no surgery at all. It's a lot better than i initially thought.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
I'm impressed KT. still I maintain that getting him in and out of that pose is more difficult than it ever needed to be. I'm also not that big of a fan of how he's kind of leaning back, but it works.

Edit: now that I think about it, in that pose he is better suited to have a guitar rather than a gun.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'm impressed KT. still I maintain that getting him in and out of that pose is more difficult than it ever needed to be. I'm also not that big of a fan of how he's kind of leaning back, but it works.

I have to agree, actually. I'm sure Hasbro has said why they won't extract their head from their forth point of contact on the hip articulation issue.

That's quite the mixture of music you got there KT.

Yeah, and I've got some odder stuff than that. The vinyl "collection" is really mixed.