[Contest] Acid Rain World

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I get the contest just fine. Like Daremo said though, if you use actual ARW products, how difficult is it to create something that "fits"? For the most part, the official toy line isn't available yet to most people. Seems to me, using offical product isn't in the spirit of the contest. I mean... head swapped Sol Commanders? Really?

Creating something that would "fit", is heavily implied to mean something non-official. Otherwise... what's the point? Here, let me make a Snake Eyes, using Snake Eyes parts. Oh wait... those figures/parts are readily available. Silly me.

What's next? A Greek mythology custom contest, but only after 1-2 people have the actual BFS figs from ebay?

I don't see what the issue is?

People can do and use whatever parts they want as long as they stay within the rules.

The judges will have to factor in all the entries using the voting criteria that has already set.

Joerhyno

Enlisted
Aug 18, 2012
I think what Obi is trying to say it it'd be silly and a bit offensive to make a custom sculpted figure, or modify a vehicle and paint it up and put 100 hours into it and then someone swaps a Joe head on a ARW body and then enters it too, or someone takes a cannon off one of the ARW vehicles and adds a Joe cannon and then enters it.. and then won, lol... at least that's what I'm getting from his comments.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Big difference is this is not being put to an 'open vote'. If that was the case, then, yeah I could see the scenario where some kitbash wins. Because, people.

This is being voted on by the admins who will gauge looks, but also time and effort put in, originality, etc.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I think what Obi is trying to say it it'd be silly and a bit offensive to make a custom sculpted figure, or modify a vehicle and paint it up and put 100 hours into it and then someone swaps a Joe head on a ARW body and then enters it too, or someone takes a cannon off one of the ARW vehicles and adds a Joe cannon and then enters it.. and then won, lol... at least that's what I'm getting from his comments.

I get that.

However it's not against the rules to do a "head swap".

Let the the judges worry about the voting. You guys worry about the entries.

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
I'm so glad all these contests are fun for the community, and no one ruins the spirit by complaining about trivial things.

:crying:

:drum:

:lmao:

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Big difference is this is not being put to an 'open vote'. If that was the case, then, yeah I could see the scenario where some kitbash wins. Because, people.

This is being voted on by the admins who will gauge looks, but also time and effort put in, originality, etc.

I get the admins voting and all, trust me. Personally, I'm not worried about anyone using whatever they use... like I said though, it just seems like a no-brainer to make your customs from non-official parts, to see how well it could fit into that universe. In other words - let your customizing ideas/skills do the work for you, not official parts/figures.

It's all good, though.

I'm so glad all these contests are fun for the community, and no one ruins the spirit by complaining about trivial things.

:crying:

:drum:

:lmao:

Fucker. See if I ever do anything for you again! :D

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I get the admins voting and all, trust me. Personally, I'm not worried about anyone using whatever they use... like I said though, it just seems like a no-brainer to make your customs from non-official parts, to see how well it could fit into that universe. In other words - let your customizing ideas/skills do the work for you, not official parts/figures.

It's all good, though.

Yeah, it makes sense. I don't think maybe people thought actual acid rain stuff would be used in the contest, since it is not very available at the moment.

That being said, I don't think it'll have too much of an effect overall. I think we'll be able to tell if someone used an acid rain buck and put in tons of work just the same as a hasbro base or whatever.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Yeah, it makes sense. I don't think maybe people thought actual acid rain stuff would be used in the contest, since it is not very available at the moment.

That being said, I don't think it'll have too much of an effect overall. I think we'll be able to tell if someone used an acid rain buck and put in tons of work just the same as a hasbro base or whatever.

And that was my initial point - availability. If we (the site) wanted to do an ARW custom contest using official product, then do so once they're readily available. In the meantime... be... what's the word? Oh, yeah - creative.

sgt goat

Enlisted
Mar 25, 2014
is the real problem here that folk honestly think that using official parts is not in th spirit of th contest or just that BBTS havent pulled their digits out of their ring pieces yet so folk dont have th platforms?
ive got no other figs but ARW ones for example so that puts me firmly in th "its just a headswap camp.."
im hoping some joe figs arrive in time for me to cut em into bits and dunk em in mud..
joking aside theres been some great lookin entries so far.. obis hvy armour grunt is in front of th field for me so far..

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
is the real problem here that folk honestly think that using official parts is not in th spirit of th contest or just that BBTS havent pulled their digits out of their ring pieces yet so folk dont have th platforms?
ive got no other figs but ARW ones for example so that puts me firmly in th "its just a headswap camp.."
im hoping some joe figs arrive in time for me to cut em into bits and dunk em in mud..
joking aside theres been some great lookin entries so far.. obis hvy armour grunt is in front of th field for me so far..

Nah... it's nothing personal, Goat. But hey, if you don't have any Joes, or whatever for fodder - get some! :D

sgt goat

Enlisted
Mar 25, 2014
im tryin im tryin fer fecks sake!
most of th time I live in a squat in a quarry..th local toystores are shit and I failed to steal my nephews star wars figs!
oh th humanity!
hoping to hell that th joes I traded a 3a fig for arrive next week!
then ill dunk em in salsa and mud and win th internets..oh yes..

sgt goat

Enlisted
Mar 25, 2014
Tolstoj? :popcorn:

Anyway I think our judges are good guys, wich means - everything will be fair. :calvin:

nil point mon petit chefluer... clue; one of the greatest americans to have ever lived....IMHO... comes a close 5th after emperor norton.. (hunter Thompson s #1 )

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
For reals!

Zona has the weather though! U going because of work or you sick of old people?

I'm a stay at home dad, but we'd be going for my wife's career, yeah. It's very possible she'll get a good promotion if she's actually able to come to the office daily instead of working from home. So we're just trying to get a ton of renovations done to this house so we can sell it for top dollar. :D

Also sick of old people. And 'The weather' is only nice September - Mid-April/May. Between May and September, it's unbearably hot.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Man... just realized how fitting this shit would have been for the contest.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Damn! That middle dude is awesome! Did I see them before, maybe I am re-awe struck. They would fit in as-is IMO. Just because water is scarce doesn't mean color has to be.

LoL...

Yeah, I did these a few years ago for another 'verse - "Rebel Angel". It was a 'Stank thang.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
LoL...

Yeah, I did these a few years ago for another 'verse - "Rebel Angel". It was a 'Stank thang.

I never did get around to doing anything for that. His ability to turn a fucking plastic bottle into an awesome vehicle made me sick.