Dumpsters!

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
Hello, Fighting 118th!
Everybody likes an urban landscape every once in a while, and for me nothing says urban like a cold bottle of your preferred beverage and all the promise that a dumpster can hold.

So, grab a drink and let's get down to business.
Dumpsters 101:

This is my second dumpster, and my first Runoff style. My intention is to make a well used dumpster, not a pristine new one.
The scale specs on a WM 4 Yard Runoff Dumpster, by my calculations, are:

L = 4 7/16"
W= 3 1/8"
H (back) = 3 1/2"
H (front) = 2 1/2"

For building your very own scale dumpster, you won't need anything too special:

1. Basswood.
2. Cutting implements.
3. Cardstock.
4. Glue - my go-to glue is Titebond wood glue.
5. Scrimming materials (Tissue paper, water, and that glue)
6. An assortment of brushes, fine and coarse.
7. Water.
8. Paint – I’ve used black, white, pine green, and rust oxide.
9. Palette or pot – I picked the top from a jar of peanuts this time around.
10. Dumpster manufacturer label – just scale it and print it on regular paper.
11. Your beverage of choice.
12. Junkyard, because who else is better to check your scale by, than a dude named Junkyard?

I always begin any project with making a pattern for what I’m going to cut. I’ll try and sort out how to post the pattern for this one, but as you’ll see, it is just a guide.

With your wood cut, you’ll need to add some supports for the sides.

Lay everything out, and then get to gluing.

The gaps are there because, like I said, this’ll be a beat up and well used city dumpster. You can make your cuts more accurate if you’re shootin' for a different look. Bind it for curing with clamps, or tape and move on to the lids.

The lids are card stock (an old manila folder here) and strips of thin wood. Lay them out, glue them, and trim to fit.

Leave a bit for your hinge...

Last edited:

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
While stuff is drying, add the rim of your dumpster. I’ve just cut strips of wood, again, gluing them in place and then trimming to fit. Crap! I forgot the dumpster lifts and wheels on mine. No worries, you can add them on at any point. Pop down a bit and see mine are added after the first coat of paint.

Go ahead and trim the extra lip of paper and sandwich it in at the back for your hinge, and Robert is your mother's brother:

Make your boxes and glue them in place at this step! Your wood glue should be fine, or use your favorite hobby glue. Wheels are just cut bits of dowel, flattened on one side.

Now, scrim the entire dumpster.

This is your time to lay in texture and prep the surface for paint. Check out the tutorial on srimming, here: Scrimming 101

Once everything dries, get to painting! One coat, and it’ll start looking like a dumpster:

Here are my lifts and wheels. Doh!

Then, add your label. Just slather some glue on the paper and stick it in place:

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
Now, I’m just starting off with this hobby, so I’m not one to school anybody on techniques for aging or finish painting, but here is my completed dumpster:

Of course, Kwinn shows up… He loves dumpsters!

Junkyard approves!

That’s it for Dumpsters 101. Let’s see yours!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
So disappointed! I was expecting an a$$ thread! :grumpy:

:trollface:

Seriously though, great tut! And great finished product.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Great tutorial. Thanks

The build is pretty much the same that I do with foam core (paper peeled off). I just have never done the cool scrimming technique, I use hotmelt glue to do the seams and add texture. So one could substitute foam core for the wood and still use this tutorial.

Not trying to disrupt your tutorial, just wanted to add some options. I hope you dont mind bro.

Last edited:

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
Great tutorial. Thanks

The build is pretty much the same that I do with foam core (paper peeled off). I just have never done the cool scrimming technique, I use hotmelt glue to do the seams and add texture. So one could substitute foam core for the wood and still use this tutorial.

Not trying to disrupt your tutorial, just wanted to add some options. I hope you dont mind bro.

Man, yours looks awesome, Medd. I imagine it went together faster, as well, as foam is so much nicer to work with as well as cheaper. You haven't run into any issues with the hot glue gun melting the foam?
Very cool... And hell no I don't mind!

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Man, yours looks awesome, Medd. I imagine it went together faster, as well, as foam is so much nicer to work with as well as cheaper. You haven't run into any issues with the hot glue gun melting the foam?
Very cool... And hell no I don't mind!
Thanks, foam is so easy to work with, and like you said, quicker.

The key for the hot glue is having a dual heat setting gun. mine has a high and a low setting. High setting melts the foam. Low does not. I put the hot glue on the seams than use the sides of the cone tip to smooth it. than just wiggle it for texture. It will only melt the foam on low setting if you touch the metal cone on the foam for too long, about 7-10 seconds. So you have plenty of time to smooth it.

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
I like the idea of using the folder to allow the lids to open and close. very cool!

HUNMARINE

Enlisted
Feb 6, 2014
Hungary
Where is cardboard?!?!?!?!?!?! :trollface:

It looks like my turn to do it))))...Anyway - great dumpsters - they just looks awsome :popcorn:

talldrkhansom

Enlisted
Oct 31, 2014
Recently made one of the dumpsters. Turned out great. Will post pics soon. They require a lot of paint.

Preacher13

Officer X
Jul 16, 2014
Center Moriches, NY
www.instagram.com
My 1:12 scale dumpster! Used cardboard, tape, a thin dowel and paint. Oh, and I printed the stickers/signs from my computer.