Finally opened the Ultimate Duke!

lotusblack80

Enlisted
Jul 15, 2013
Colorado
Did you guys tear into the new wave figures as soon as you got them? I don't know, when I got mine I just let them sit there for a couple of days and last night I finally ripped open one of them which was the Ultimate Duke. Let me first say the Figure is DOPE but the Duke seriously lacks in articulation. Duke is going to be hip shooting all of his weapons because that's the only damn pose he's got!

Another thing was that I noticed the paint apps for the uniform ran on his neck too, but even with all the problems I cant help but love this figure. It could be the fact that this Duke is sold out everywhere and in such high demand or it's just the fad at the moment, maybe once the novelty wears off all the faults may hit me but for the time being THIS FIGURE IS SOOO FRIGGIN AWESOME!:)

The good: Excellent military realism! SF Operators do strike a resemblance with this figure that and he comes with so many accessories. From what I can tell he holds the weapons firmly and the durability is there. Customizers are going to have a field day with this fig!

The bad: Horrible articulation, just Horrible! Too many accessories? Paint apps are questionable for all you perfectionist.

The Ugly: NONE

Last edited:

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Waiting on MW to send me the other 5 figures to review, so I'll have to wait and see about ol' Duke there. I'm still amused they made a figure for him and he dies in the movie.

lotusblack80

Enlisted
Jul 15, 2013
Colorado
Waiting on MW to send me the other 5 figures to review, so I'll have to wait and see about ol' Duke there. I'm still amused they made a figure for him and he dies in the movie.

I wish they would have just killed the actor and not the character if you know what I mean (jus sayin). Channing Tatum does not play the whole soldier role well let alone play the rank of Major.

Sh-t, do any of these Hollywood companies actually do there homework? I have never met a Major look that young before, like teeny bopper young.:wtf:

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
His vest needs a little work to get some more movement out of the arms, but from Hasbro I'd say it's a helluva lot better than most other figures...

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
The bad: Horrible articulation, just Horrible! Too many accessories? Paint apps are questionable for all you perfectionist.

It's that vest. It's the same deal with Mouse. Take that shit off and replace it with something else. I know that with Mouse if you replace his vest with almost any other kind of web gear, he poses a lot better.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
It's that vest. It's the same deal with Mouse. Take that shit off and replace it with something else. I know that with Mouse if you replace his vest with almost any other kind of web gear, he poses a lot better.

It's not just the vest in Duke's case - since he has shorter arms, he's got articulation issues even without it. I can't get him to hold a rifle with both hands even without the vest on.

lotusblack80

Enlisted
Jul 15, 2013
Colorado
Wow... Duke kinda sucks. Kinda like POC Hawk, so close, but so far. Damn shame considering Flint has amazing articulation.

Yeah, I know what you mean with the so close. Like I said before I think it's just the high demand at the moment why I love the Duke figure so much.

The sleeper in this wave, is the Flint figure! Man, if that figure came with a pistol holster like Duke I think Flint would be perfect. I have no idea why this guy is still in stock everywhere but I'm lovin it. I got enough for a 5 man team now!

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
The sleeper in this wave, is the Flint figure! Man, if that figure came with a pistol holster like Duke I think Flint would be perfect. I have no idea why this guy is still in stock everywhere but I'm lovin it. I got enough for a 5 man team now!

Flint is not generic enough with his arms/sleeves to be a good army builder and all attention is focused on the Ninja and the Duke.

Sucks I have no spare parts these days or I would play around and find some black sleeved arms for multiple Flints.

MMorelock66

Isn't a Gijoe fan
Apr 4, 2012
the land of Virginia
Yeah, I know what you mean with the so close. Like I said before I think it's just the high demand at the moment why I love the Duke figure so much.

I intend to get a few Flints. Definitely a great base for PMCs! Duke looks alright, but not with the high demand surrounding him.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
I intend to get a few Flints. Definitely a great base for PMCs! Duke looks alright, but not with the high demand surrounding him.

He would be a good base for that. I would swap the legs, personally. Maybe DG Shipwreck (either color).

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
It's not just the vest in Duke's case - since he has shorter arms, he's got articulation issues even without it. I can't get him to hold a rifle with both hands even without the vest on.

1st - It's not really the vest at all. Yes, you could trim the sides of the vest a little and it will help.

2nd - The arms are a tad shorter than most, but not that bad. You could always replace them with Shocktrooper arms. Try ST uppers with the Duke lowers, if you still want the BO2 look. If Majhost weren't down right now, you could see how my 1st Duke body custom turned out after the modding I did. Anyway...

3rd - The real culprit causing range of motion problems is... the pecs.

If you dremel down the sides of the pecs so they are more flat, or in line with the sides, guess what? Much better range of motion on the arms. Go a step further, and use my inner elbow/forearm technique for better bent arm range. You can still go even further, and remove a little of the very inner tricep.

If you guys want, I can throw together a pictorial guide to all of the above. That way, you can see what it all looks like BEFORE you start cutting yours.

Lmk.

Last edited:

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
1st - It's not really the vest at all. Yes, you could trim the sides of the vest a little and it will help.

2nd - The arms are a tad shorter than most, but not that bad. You could always replace them with Shocktrooper arms. Try ST uppers with the Duke lowers, if you still want the BO2 look.

3rd - The real culprit causing range of motion problems is... the pecs.

If you dremel down the sides of the pecs so they are more flat, or in line with the sides, guess what? Much better range of motion on the arms. Go a step further, and use my inner elbow/forearm technique for better bent arm range. You can still go even further, and remove a little of the very inner tricep.

If you guys want, I can throw together a pictorial guide to all of the above. That way, you can see what it all looks like BEFORE you start cutting yours.

Lmk.

I'd be happy if you did.

I couldn't tell if it was the pecs or the biceps that were causing the problem here.

Stryker927

Cobra Project Manager
Aug 13, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Yes, that would be great Obi. I've done it once or twice based on comments you have made in other threads but I am still figuring out where to make the cuts and adjustments. A tutorial would be awesome! :)

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011

Based on a previous post of yours, I have done this (as best as I can with out cracking the torso that is) to a few recent figures and it does make a world of difference. I did it with the Mouse arms and it worked out great.

lotusblack80

Enlisted
Jul 15, 2013
Colorado

I got 2 for 18 shipped from Kokomo. I would pick some up quick dude. I don't see them hanging around too long at that price.

Seriously, that Flint fig is nice.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
...You can still go even further, and remove a little of the very inner tricep.

That ^^ is what I do almost exclusively...it's not as noticeable to me as taking meat out of the pecs from a front view...if that isn't enough, then I remove material from the pecs/vest (if one is being used)...

I just feel material removed from the under arm is much more hidden and more aesthetically pleasing...

To each his own :)

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
That ^^ is what I do almost exclusively...it's not as noticeable to me as taking meat out of the pecs from a front view...if that isn't enough, then I remove material from the pecs/vest (if one is being used)...

I just feel material removed from the under arm is much more hidden and more aesthetically pleasing...

Except Duke's underarms are painted black.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA

And that's why I stated in my other thread, that this works best when using a vest.

I've done the pec deflate on many of my customs, and no one ever notices.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011

Jesus Christ! What is wrong with Hasbro? They always do this. They make a figure that looks like it could be awe inspiring, and then it turns out it can't hold guns! What are they smoking? I guess I'll never complain about shock trooper arms again.

Well I guess I won't be missing this figure after all considering how much of an expensive army builder he is. I've been looking around online and a lot of the other Retaliation figures, including other ultimate figures, are starting to sell for less than retail, and yet Duke is sold out. I can't believe it's such a sought after figure amongst Joe fans. What is the point of a figure that can't be posed? Personally speaking it looks like the weapons and accessories he comes with are better than the figure.

It's almost ironic that duke gets this kind of treatment. Nothing has changed since I was a child. Joe Vs Cobra Duke was the first G.I. Joe figure I ever got, and he was too brawny to even shoot from the hips. It's a shame Hasbro can't permanently break out of this cycle of producing immobile figures.