Four Horsemen's Mythic Legions.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It's not, when you think about it. But, to defend our hypocrisy, I will say while just buying the parts usually takes you well in excess of $20, the end result is something you can't get elsewhere. You get to decide the exact figure parts (and this is definitely true when it comes to custom cast torsos), accessories and paints.

To put it another way, I've yet to see a mass-production 4" figure that I've deemed to be worth $20. Hasbro and Mattel will never come correct on that score.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
KT is spot-on with that. Customs are usually very specific, often obscure, and more of a labor of love rather than a simple purchase. People are more likely to pay more for the perfect combination of parts rather than whatever repaint nonsense the mass market receives.

And while some might deem it illogical, we have a good idea of what things cost. It's hard to buy a mass produced figure that only half-meets your needs for $20 when you have a good idea that it cost hasbro about $2.75 to produce it. When buying cast parts, you know it's not cheap and that the casting guys are not making huge margins in a cottage industry.

In that case, it's far easier to justify that $20, supporting guys who are helping the community rather than spending $20 so that TRU can make $10 to spend on Geoffrey's Birthday Club. Yeah, it's still $20, but it feels better.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
But the $20 figures don't come from Hasbro and Toys R Us (yet).

They are usually small companies like the 4HM, Boss Fight, ZICA, and even Warpo. Those companies are just as passionate about the products they produce and the communities they produce them for (usually) as the casters are. The items are usually just as obscure and niche. A category I seem to fall in very often.

I'm not saying its wrong or anything, I love the stuff casters do and just started getting some of those pieces recently. I was just pointing out that the issue isn't always the price and it is the product more often than the price.

That is why I think the 4HM's reasoning about it being the price is dis-ingenuous and that the real reason they changed scale was that
1. They wanted to because that is their preferred scale and seen with all their other products
2. Their 6" fantasy figure collectors were louder (and more obnoxious) than the 4" collectors

Last edited:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I really don't find their argument about price to be illogical or disingenuous. I think that's likely true. If the bulk of the cost is in development, assembly, and paint and not the cost of raw plastic, then a 4" figure could very well cost nearly as much as a 6" figure. I have no inside knowledge, but I see no reason to think their statement is somehow a shady misdirection.

As for the loud 6" collectors... that could very well be true. In my experience, there are some really vocal ones, but who knows if their fans outnumber the 4" collectors in reality.

If 6" is really 4H's preferred scale (and there's no hard evidence that's actually true), there would have to be a reason behind that, and it's likely financial in nature. It's hard to imagine they would naturally prefer a scale that has lower margins and/or lower demand. And if 6" is preferred for financial reasons, who could possibly blame them?

Dark Horse

Ultimate Z-list celebrity
All the 4HM's reasons are valid. And although 4" figure guys may be pissed, why should the 4HM change what they've been doing for years? They're refined their figure mechanics over three lines now. If they switched scales now that would reset.

One thing they haven't mentioned about switching to a smaller scale is QC. Look what happened to Marauder John.

I don't see how there are any losers here. The 4HM and MotUC fans are all happy, Bossfight and the 4" scale figure guys are happy. No one is treading on anyone's toes, no one gets a shit product, and everyone gets fantasy figures in their respective favourite scale.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It's not switching scales. They've done two 4" lines. I lose because the 4H designs shit all over Boss Fight's.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
And the fact that they have promoted this as a 4" line for almost a year now...
I have all their other 4" figures and they are great for the most part, QC wise.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I'm stunned to learn that there is huge unmet demand for random greek/mythological/fantasy figures - in any scale. These and BF's look nice, but there is no way in hell I pay premium prices for generic warrior figures. One or two that I plan to customize into something else? Sure. A whole shelf of greek soldiers or random unnamed fantasy characters? WTF.

I mean, more power to those collectors, but I never would have guessed it.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I think for me, the Greek line is more a source of cool 1:18 props and figure bucks. The same largely held true for the 4H line.

That's how I'm looking at them. I don't have a big hard on for either genre in their own rights.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
There's two reasons they made the switch.

1. They realized that they will make more money or think they will make more money. Either by production costs or a vocal fan base for 6".

2. 4H personally prefer 6" scale.

It's that simple. I don't think at all that they are sitting around all Dr. Evil like maniacally laughing about how they would be able to deceive the 4" fan base.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
This is supposed to start tonight at 9:00 PM EST. I am still interested to see what all they have to offer during the Kickstarter. Hopefully it isn't as confusing as the Ravens.

Also to note PlayWithThisToo will be launching a Kickstarter for more 6" figures before the end of this one. I'm not convinced it will affect this one too much though. Still bad timing IMO. They will be at Toy Fair so there may be more info this week and weekend.

And the 4HM plan to launch a Kickstarter for their Power Lords line shortly after the completion of the Mythic Legions Kickstarter. Not sure I am convinced that they can pull of 2 Kickstarters at one time or how this announcement will affect the Mythic Legions Kickstarter.

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
So, according to their video, they have know about changing scales for quite a while now if they already sent the figures to the China factories and have them scaled down to be ready for mold cutting. Yet they didn't think to announce that until just before they launch their Kickstarter.

Just goes to show they were intentionally deceiving 4" collectors for quite a while now.

Its crap like that will decide if I support them in the future.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Urzokk with a skull in place of the orc head would have been great as an artifact display. I would have had fun weathering that armor and coming up with a story for it.

Such a waste.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09kuOAr_wkc[/ame]

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
They posted some comparison pics for the Dwarf. He might fit in 1:18 as a really big Viking or something.

They also added the Bog goblin and one of the Orcs into the main KS.

Scale pic with other lines

I really like the look of that Bog goblin and since he is on the smaller buck I may pledge for that one.

I'm going to need to learn how to shrink stuff...

Attachments

• fd1a86fc2cb8fe6cbf7af5537196ce47_original.jpg
    fd1a86fc2cb8fe6cbf7af5537196ce47_original.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I know we were all bummed when they tucked tail and ran to 1:12 with these, but the deluxe Trolls could be used with the H.A.C.K.s line:

Shudder to think how much they'll cost if you don't get them for the 5 minutes they'll be available on the site. :trollface: