Four Horsemen's Mythic Legions.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Definitely better than the proposed BF fantasy figures. Probably be down for that Orc General with a skeleton or great helm stuck on there as a static armor display.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
These are meant to be 1:18, then? (when finished, obviously - I know the prototypes are 2-ups)

Huh. Some cool stuff there.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
They really should get on that Kickstarter sooner rather than later. I bet these are 18 months from being in folks' hands.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
They had said in the LPM online magazine that there were some financial and tax related issues when you collect money for a project and deliver the actual product in different years.

I am guessing that is why they planned on waiting until January.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Great. Another line to wait years for release. At some point, I'm going to start getting too old to care about this shit anymore.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
I'd love to see a breakdown of the articulation on these things. Someting tells me I'd have to do some fairly decent modding/bashing/transplanting to get better range.

I do however, really like the designs.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yup. It's not a surprising decision, but it ends all interest in the line for me.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I collect both scales, and I have no interest in this particular vein of characters, so I have no dog in this fight. However, I totally get the last part about the price. If they determined that they could sell 6" figures for $25 (for example) or 4" figures for $23... that's a no-brainer if you want to stay in business.

A 4" line at 6" prices would die a swift death.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
These figures aren't gonna be carried anywhere but their own website, so there is that. Like I said, I get why they did it, but I think it was bullshit that they heavily hinted these up as 4" from the start.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
You can't really dismiss it until you see what 4H is charging for the 6"... Also, 4H's expectations for volume might be dramatically different, such that BF can do ok selling to a few niche people via kickstarter, whereas 4H would consider that volume to not be particularly viable.

If I were into these particular designs, I'd be more likely to buy 6" for a given price than 4". I like the BF figures, but I didn't jump on their kickstarter due to price. It just doesn't seem reasonable.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
You can't really dismiss it until you see what 4H is charging for the 6"... Also, 4H's expectations for volume might be dramatically different, such that BF can do ok selling to a few niche people via kickstarter, whereas 4H would consider that volume to not be particularly viable.

If I were into these particular designs, I'd be more likely to buy 6" for a given price than 4". I like the BF figures, but I didn't jump on their kickstarter due to price. It just doesn't seem reasonable.

But the 4H are selling these to a few niche people on Kickstarter. If they had planned on offering these through a retail channel that might be different.

I don't know what kind of expectations they have with this particular line but if it is any like their past lines they have done or any past lines that have been successful on Kickstarter low volume is exactly what they should expect.

Whether you jumped on the kickstarter is irrelevant if enough people put up over $400k and an additional $40k after during the fundaful period. That clearly shows that there is a market there. As for a 6" inch figure being the same price as a 4" doesn't matter to me as I wouldn't get a 6" figure if it was free.

Those aren't really the main reasons that this annoys me the most. It is that when they first announced the line they intentional withheld the scale to generate "buzz". Then a week or so later they said the plan would be 4". Changing that a week before the kickstarter is just one more instance of them treating their 4" collectors like crap. If they didn't know the scale they could have just said they were looking into it and it wouldn't have mattered. But that isn't what they did and it make them look like a bunch of assholes now.

This is all on top of they way they run their store and how they have treated their Power Lords line and its "fan club"

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011

I'd actually be surprised if these were cheaper than the birds, given the added expense of factoring the mix-and-match ability these are supposed to have.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
Don't kid yourself, there will be no mix and match. Other than maybe Deer antlers or horns sticking out of their helmets. I don't think it would have worked at 4" either. All the figures are much too different to do something like that and still have the aesthetics they were looking for.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(

Gotta agree with ya here nacho. No way I'd even consider a $20+ price tag for a 4" figure. But I would for 6". Just feels like you're getting more for the money. I think it also comes from the $10 or less prices I've become accustomed too over the years. Paying anything close to $20 just seems ridiculous.

Plus being a MOTUC collector, this kind of figure, along with the Raven line, feels like it'd fit in much better with Masters and each other. Heck, if I could find the Raven line REASONABLY priced, I'd certainly pick a few up.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Those aren't really the main reasons that this annoys me the most. It is that when they first announced the line they intentional withheld the scale to generate "buzz". Then a week or so later they said the plan would be 4". Changing that a week before the kickstarter is just one more instance of them treating their 4" collectors like crap. If they didn't know the scale they could have just said they were looking into it and it wouldn't have mattered. But that isn't what they did and it make them look like a bunch of assholes now.

This is all on top of they way they run their store and how they have treated their Power Lords line and its "fan club"

I didn't know they even had 4" collectors, as everything I ever bought that was sculpted by them was 6". If anything, I was really surprised they were considering doing these in 4", so it wasn't even remotely a shock that they announced these as 6".

Again, I have no axe to grind, as I wasn't going to buy these in either scale, but the outside perspective says that the 6" decision is the smart money. As they said, the business case for 6" at whatever sales price was stronger than for 4" figures. I absolutely cannot argue with that or fault them for it. Anything else is purely a fan-driven perspective, not one that recognizes this for what it is, i.e. a small business with low volumes and thin margins.

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011
Well that burnt my ass.

Oh well, more money for Boss Fight and me custom projects.

Be gone 6inch figures.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
I didn't know they even had 4" collectors, as everything I ever bought that was sculpted by them was 6". If anything, I was really surprised they were considering doing these in 4", so it wasn't even remotely a shock that they announced these as 6".

Again, I have no axe to grind, as I wasn't going to buy these in either scale, but the outside perspective says that the 6" decision is the smart money. As they said, the business case for 6" at whatever sales price was stronger than for 4" figures. I absolutely cannot argue with that or fault them for it. Anything else is purely a fan-driven perspective, not one that recognizes this for what it is, i.e. a small business with low volumes and thin margins.

I'm not arguing or faulting them on making these at 6". I'm just saying that I think they way they handled it was terrible. If these had been announced as 6" like the Ravens that would have fine, I was actually expecting that when they first showed them. Even if they had come out and stated that they didn't know and were doing the required research to determine the best scale would have been fine, but that is not what they did.

Lets go back a year ago to when they announced them.
They did a huge tease as to what the scale would be to generate "buzz". They let that go on for about a week before the announced that they would be done in 4". Then there was the backlash from the 6" collectors, so "industry insiders" came out to defend the business justification of doing these in 4" as opposed to 6"

Now, that may not have been official, straight from the 4HM, but it was pretty close. So it's not like they didn't put some thought or planning into the line before the announced it at 4".

As for them not having a 4" fan base, they certainly do, and a very passionate one at that. They have only offered Outer Space Men and Power Lords in those scales but we have bought every rainbow flavored version of their product. And are usually treated like crap for some reason or indifferent at best.

At the close of the OSM line we never go any updates as to the future of the line. They pretty much just shelved it and never tried discussing it anymore.

For Power Lords they offered a "Fan Club" where you could get exclusive stuff including a fancy orange flavor of Gripptogg. They treated the people that paid for that like garbage and it came to the point that Adam Pawlus had to bitch them out on their forum to get any of the perks that were supposed to come with it. They let that expire with no news or announcements as to the future of that line either. Last I've heard about that is more re-paints of the soldiers for some kind of Christmas release (about 2 months ago). Still no pre-order or news as to that...

I also find their reasoning behind the cost per figure dis-ingenious. They say they want to keep the price down but still offer the OSM and Power Lords for expensive prices. Colossus Rex sold for $26 and sold out very quickly, and that was after the endless rainbow variations that were released prior to it. The ultimate Ggrapptikk was sold for $40 and sold out before the regular versions.

Not to mention the only way to get those is to buy them from their store and deal with the crappy "drop" selling mentality and being grossly overcharged for shipping.

I don't even know why this irritates me as much as it does because I'm usually indifferent towards how companies treat their customers. I've been buying Hasbro and Mattel product for years and they treat 4" collectors like crap as well. I guess I just expected more from the 4HM. Regardless, I'm pretty much done with them as a company (for now) and will be supporting BFS more in the future.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
Gotta agree with ya here nacho. No way I'd even consider a $20+ price tag for a 4" figure. But I would for 6". Just feels like you're getting more for the money. I think it also comes from the $10 or less prices I've become accustomed too over the years. Paying anything close to $20 just seems ridiculous.

Plus being a MOTUC collector, this kind of figure, along with the Raven line, feels like it'd fit in much better with Masters and each other. Heck, if I could find the Raven line REASONABLY priced, I'd certainly pick a few up.

So out of curiosity, you won't buy a factory produced 4" figure for $20ish but as a community we purchase heads, tosrso, and kits for that much, if not more and those aren't even painted or put together. Why is that different?