G.I.JOE 3 discussion

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
From Fred, in response to Eddie's statement on SS being played by a Korean.

"It's little shit like that does make a difference. You ever notice that when they do docudramas, shit like "Lincoln," "Titanic," "The Assassination of Jessie James by Coward Robert Ford, and even in period pieces like the remake of True Grit, close attention is paid to detail. How come in most comic to movie adaptions this attention to detail given most credence."

First, the fact that the Arashikage in the flashback scenes are speaking Korean is laziness on the part of the casting and the director but shouldn't be unexpected since the entire film is a study on laziness. It's not lazy because the actors are Korean, but because they didn't care enough that asians would pick up on them speaking Korean. Right now, Korea is going through a film renaissance. It's been booming over there for the last decade where as in Japan, not so much. I have no doubt the casting director just went to a cheap talent agency and got all of their asian characters from where there's a booming industry. It cuts down on legwork, and you can fill your stunt roles, your extra roles and just have to deal with one translator. Just having the kid yell in Korean was easier than having him learn another language and the director was lazy enough to think it wouldn't matter to American ears. There's a lot of ways they could have resolved that portion of the film. But I've heard a lot of protest over Byung-hun Lee which I think is unfortunate because he's a talented actor when he's not in crappy American films
The history of the ninja I think is a little too complex just to pigeonhole them as Japanese. There are origins that seem to illustrate the idea that the ninja was not apart of Japanese society because they weren't originally Japanese but transplants from China that settled in the mountains. Living in a defensible area, and learning a lot of tactics that both countered the samurai way of life and made them valuable, allowed for them to survive and keep their cultural roots through a clan lifestyle.

Now, for the part I always get accused for being a racist for. While Japan was settled by both SE Asian groups and groups that traveled through Mongolia, Manchuria, and the Korean peninsula, what is deemed "Japanese" is a very very very close genetic match to Korea. The reason is, the two have intermarried for hundreds of years. There were neighborhoods in Japan that were Korean and vice versa. But historically, both sides fought against each other in some bloody conflicts and have done some nasty things to one another, as recently as what the Japanese did to Korea during WW2. There's been storied oppression of Koreans in Japan. There's a lot of bad blood between the two nations. I would understand if they want to call us racist for not seeing the difference between vietnamese and japanese, but I'm more inclined to believe that the reason so many Japanese are infuriated by the adult SS being Korean is because of the bad blood and they try to use white racism to explain why we don't get it. It's no different than Ray Stevenson playing a Roman in Rome or a Russian mobster on Dexter.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
:D

Apache26

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
Growing up, there were two Joes that felt like the core to any Joe story. Duke and Snake-Eyes. Soldier with character and a sense of duty. Wild card though loyal, was a loner and whose actions were often insubordinate and dangerous but just as important. One was the ideal America of the Reagan era with his tough demeanor, high character, and small town America personality. Snake Eyes, I always felt, represented the other America that existed and was equally needed. It was one that has a conflicted relationship and history with its country that's more personal but is growing into acceptance, much in the way this country hopefully will some day. Duke feels like a character who just fits in everywhere he's been but I thought making a character who confronts his personal struggles with national identity through enlistment could be an interesting character. A native american character, maybe Sioux, I think can make a great fit as SE. Plus any excuse I can give for getting rid of the ninja crap from his background I'm going to take as a plus. I also kind of wonder what the different North American Native American translations of Snake Eyes would sound like.

Seriously? If that's how you felt as a kid, then you were pretty unique and awfully political.

One of the things that drove me NUTS about the 1/6 world was the way the fanboys heaped abuse on good 'ol 12" GI JOE for its lack of sophistication. It's a damned toy for little boys! Likewise, ARAH was a comic, cartoon and toy tie in for little boys! I can't speak for what Hama was doing or thinking. He obviously had fun with this.

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2012/04/the_20_most_ridiculous_gi_joe_file_cards.php

Looking back, these filecards aren't horrifying. They're damned funny. I read them as a kid and understood them as a kid would. "Hit & Run" was one of my favorite Joes.

So where am I going with this? I think GI JOE was all in good fun. Hama, himself a Vietnam vet, re-energized a franchise that captivated boys 20 years earlier. I won't claim to know what he was thinking, or if he was trying to make some stupid political statement on diversity. While I think the original 1960's concept was better than ARAH, I'll give it to the Hasbro/Marvel team for their creativity. ARAH WAS diverse without being political. It was diverse before diversity was shoved down everyone's throat for the sake of it. ARAH wasn't crass about throwing a couple token brothers to get killed in the first minutes of a firefight. Blacks, whites, indians and even (unfortunately) females were given key roles in the military story. You're bitching about proportions and percentages? Give me a break! If every ARAH Joe resembled Duke and Flint, then you could complain.

I was an Active Duty infantry officer for 6 years. My platoons were 85% white. A handful of my men were black, two handfuls were hispanic and maybe one or two dudes were asian. Maybe 5% of the infantry officers were minorities. GI JOE realistically reflected the reality of combat units of the time and 20 years into the future.

I grew up in an upper middle class home. Clearly ARAH meant something quite a bit less political to my friends and myself than to you. GI JOE had soldiers from backgrounds I wouldn't be exposed to until high school. It was cool because in the end, it was a toy line for kids about a bunch of high speed Army dudes fighting a monolithic terrorist organization. Inexplicably, no one ever died. Snake Eyes and Roadblock weren't anything more special to me than any of the other characters, and I definitely didn't read some sort of progressive diversity agenda into the inclusion of other races. They were all soldiers, and I wanted to play with Army men. As a matter of fact, my favorite Joes were the second tier figures that looked like more realistic soldiers (Footloose, Falcon, Hit and Run, Repeater). I cared less about the focal characters like Duke, Flint and Snake Eyes. I positively hated Shipwreck - probably for the Don Johnson voice acting more than aything.

So what are you trying to say? That GI JOE needs to be MORE diverse for political reasons? Get real! I don't care if today's kids grow up with an ethnically ambiguous Roadblock, or a black Ripcord. What bothers me is changing races for the politicization of a kids' toy franchise! It doesn't need to be more diverse for the sake of progressive diversity. If that's the case, then they'll have the openly queer Joe, the sexually ambiguous Joe, and dozens more female infantrymen. The "Retaliation" line about Lady Jaye and her father and women in combat made me want to puke. That, in and of itself, was enough to ruin the film. My son already gets force fed unrealistic diversity garbage. Just make the toy line fun. Keep the politics out of it. Stay true to the original intent.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I'm discussing, not bitching. I'm talking history, not politics. I'm really trying to get Eddie to point out exactly why a black man isn't black enough to play a black character, but white enough to play a white dude that speaks funny. The answer isn't "racism" BTW. If he's not black enough for RB, then by that rule he couldn't play other black characters. The hidden truth is they didn't get that detailed on these sculpts and often times they didn't go out of their way to get the skin tone "right" and 80's America was just different. People were black, white, Asian, Native American. God, I didn't know Arabs even lived in the US. It's not because of racial intent or political statements. They did what they could at 1/18 with the current production norms. Give these guys bright yellow hair, give these guys bright orange hair, etc. I think most years there were 2-3 designs the creators were proud of and then the others were more arbitrary in their designs.

It's diverse in comparison to other properties but its hardly representative of the highly complex discussion of race... Which is why it doesn't need to change. I still understand its a toy. I'm just not going to say one of the bigger action stars can't be in GI Joe because some dude in china may have dropped too much dye at the factory.

As for the comment about being unique as a kid. I was. But it wasn't about politics. "The two americas" has become a political staple, but I was fortunate enough to have a very attentive dad, who'd have very deep discussions on the history of this country with me and the social impact it had on the present. Not in the way a special interests group would in order to shame the country but in a contextual way that shows how we got here.

Fred Broca

Enlisted
Jun 2, 2012
The Empyrean
I'm going to be furious and send Hasbro legitimate hate mail when they make a queer joe.

That is one few good things about G. I. JOE being a toy at the end of the day, despite "inclusive" and "tolerant," nature of today's America, I seriously doubt that Hasbro would bow to pressure from the hom community and their supports to make a gay JOE. If they did, I'd personally write a letter with a petition showing the support of a chaplin (of any faith, that includes a Muslim,) and his assistant. I'd also like to know why Hasbro feel it's acceptable to a gay member of unit, but not a chaplin.

Fred Broca

Enlisted
Jun 2, 2012
The Empyrean
I have no doubt the casting director just went to a cheap talent agency and got all of their asian characters from where there's a booming industry. It cuts down on legwork, and you can fill your stunt roles, your extra roles and just have to deal with one translator. Just having the kid yell in Korean was easier than having him learn another language and the director was lazy enough to think it wouldn't matter to American ears.

This makes sense, when you consider all of the money that was spent on those cutting edge and award winning special effects that we saw in "RoC.

There's a lot of ways they could have resolved that portion of the film. But I've heard a lot of protest over Byung-hun Lee which I think is unfortunate because he's a talented actor when he's not in crappy American films. The history of the ninja I think is a little too complex just to pigeonhole them as Japanese. There are origins that seem to illustrate the idea that the ninja was not apart of Japanese society because they weren't originally Japanese but transplants from China that settled in the mountains. Living in a defensible area, and learning a lot of tactics that both countered the samurai way of life and made them valuable, allowed for them to survive and keep their cultural roots through a clan lifestyle.

Now, for the part I always get accused for being a racist for. While Japan was settled by both SE Asian groups and groups that traveled through Mongolia, Manchuria, and the Korean peninsula, what is deemed "Japanese" is a very very very close genetic match to Korea. The reason is, the two have intermarried for hundreds of years. There were neighborhoods in Japan that were Korean and vice versa. But historically, both sides fought against each other in some bloody conflicts and have done some nasty things to one another, as recently as what the Japanese did to Korea during WW2. There's been storied oppression of Koreans in Japan. There's a lot of bad blood between the two nations. I would understand if they want to call us racist for not seeing the difference between vietnamese and japanese, but I'm more inclined to believe that the reason so many Japanese are infuriated by the adult SS being Korean is because of the bad blood and they try to use white racism to explain why we don't get it. It's no different than Ray Stevenson playing a Roman in Rome or a Russian mobster on Dexter.

When you break it down like that, it's no wonder that the Japanese feel some kinda way about S.S. being played by a Korean.

Looking back, these filecards aren't horrifying. They're damned funny. I read them as a kid and understood them as a kid would. "Hit & Run" was one of my favorite Joes.

I don't know if was Hasbro's and Hama's intent, but I found the filecards to be educational. I always thought that the arms and weapons system were based on actual hardware and forts and other military instillations where the JOEs received their training existed in real life.

So what are you trying to say? That GI JOE needs to be MORE diverse for political reasons? Get real! I don't care if today's kids grow up with an ethnically ambiguous Roadblock, or a black Ripcord. What bothers me is changing races for the politicization of a kids' toy franchise! It doesn't need to be more diverse for the sake of progressive diversity. If that's the case, then they'll have the openly queer Joe, the sexually ambiguous Joe, and dozens more female infantrymen. The "Retaliation" line about Lady Jaye and her father and women in combat made me want to puke. That, in and of itself, was enough to ruin the film. My son already gets force fed unrealistic diversity garbage. Just make the toy line fun. Keep the politics out of it. Stay true to the original intent.

Apparently Hasbro disagrees with you. I want diversity to, but more in the lines of military diversity, more officers, more personnel from the Air Force, and particularly the USMC, the JOEs seem to a serious lack of Marines, also COBRA could use some support personnel too.

I'm discussing, not bitching. I'm talking history, not politics. I'm really trying to get Eddie to point out exactly why a black man isn't black enough to play a black character, but white enough to play a white dude that speaks funny. The answer isn't "racism" BTW. If he's not black enough for RB, then by that rule he couldn't play other black characters.

Though I don't agree with Eddie on casting The Rock as GH, I understand his point, have him grow a moustache and put a big ass E.G.A. tat on his chest, he would look like Gung Ho, but I think that Gung Ho is character that requires a little more than actor who looks like him. Who should ever play Gung Ho, should be able to convey to the audience that he's a Canjun and like I said earlier, the actor has to be able to do the accent. Which is one of the major fuck ups with X-Men, the actor who played Gambit didn't act like Gambit and he didn't have the wacky Canjun accent.

I still say acting trumps color 9 times out of 10. If they can act well (and I guess be provided with a good script), I don't really care.

Me too, but there are many talented actors who could play certain roles that don't get the shot because their names aren't a big enough of a draw. Acting trumps race, but box office appeal trumps acting.

Apache26

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
I don't know if was Hasbro's and Hama's intent, but I found the filecards to be educational. I always thought that the arms and weapons system were based on actual hardware and forts and other military instillations where the JOEs received their training existed in real life.

Apparently Hasbro disagrees with you. I want diversity to, but more in the lines of military diversity, more officers, more personnel from the Air Force, and particularly the USMC, the JOEs seem to a serious lack of Marines, also COBRA could use some support personnel too.

Regarding the first point, I'll go back to an earlier thing I mentioned. Before I knew that the guy writing the cards was a veteran, I'd look at them and say, "Wow, someone at Hasbro knew what they were talking about when they wrote these cards." I was impressed with the knowledge of the schools and the details down to the individual serial number codes. When I found out that Hama wrote them and that he's a veteran, then it all came together. Yes, you're right, the cards are VERY educational. The weapons systems are correct (at least those that were real) and so are the majority of the military schools and installations mentioned. Hama got a great deal of detail into a little filecard.

What you're saying about diversity of forces makes sense. I don't have an answer for that. ARAH was based on the Army's "Rapid Deployment Force" concept of the late 1970's - early 1980's. Basically these were the only units in Carter's military capable of deploying and fighting a war. The RDF was heavily reliant on the 18th ABN Corps, the 82nd ABN, the 75th Rangers and SF. There were USMC units and USAF lift units tasked, but I'm not sure of the proportion. I have no idea if Hasbro tried to proportion ARAH in line with the RDF, or if they just dreamed up random characters and put them into a lineup. I'm guessing the latter.

Since it's a kids' toy line, the chain of command is convoluted and whimsical. Is GI JOE supposed to be a company, of whom DUKE is the only first sergeant? Well, no; if GEN Hawk is the top JOE, then GI JOE is at least a brigade sized formation. A brigadier general doesn't command a brigade, so why put a general in charge of a brigade? I assume that it's because it's such a secret squirrel organization. Or is this more like a Green Beret battalion in which there are teams in the SF companies with specialties, like HALO and SCUBA. Flint is essentially a very high speed chopper pilot. Why is a warrant officer running missions when warrants (outside of the SF MOS) have no chain of command authority? Scarlett and Lady Jaye are essentially covert intel operatives, as well as the GI JOE S-2 section (I assume). Why are they supposed to have attended schools that were (and still are) closed to females for this purpose?

Most importantly, who are the legions of nameless JOEs in green fatigues? If many of the named Joes are lower enlistees, why aren't these guys special enough to get cool code names? Footloose was just an 11B grunt, and Dusty was an air conditioning repairman. There seems to be no rhyme or reason behind the skill sets needed to be a Joe. Apparently everyone can fly an F-14, even if their filecard doesn't indicate years of flight school qualifications. Nevertheless, it seems to me that the thinking behind all these characters has to do with the public perception of SF; that it's just a bunch of guys with special skills who get together regardless of rank to perform missions.

It would be interesting to me if Hasbro lined up the GI JOEs in some sort of semblance of a military organization. But it won't happen. A brigade requires a sustainment battalion and companies dedicated to things like commo. I guess that's what the nameless green shirt JOEs do.

But, as always, I'd rather see a GI JOE toy line that is more in line with the 1960's concept, or at least something in which the characters more realistically line up in some sort of MTOE organization. But does a kid need this? Naw. It makes perfect sense to have General Hawk running around with a bunch of privates and specialists.

Last edited:

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
We already had a pretty good ARAH movie

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZdJRDpLHbw&sns=em[/ame]

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Maybe they are taking a WB/DC route. Have a date and start promoting it but don't have a cast, script, or director. :rolleyes:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I don't want more of any one particular person...I want a shared amount of time between a few groups of characters on separate missions that converge onto one combined mission...

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I don't want more of any one particular person...I want a shared amount of time between a few groups of characters on separate missions that converge onto one combined mission...

Pfft, like that's gonna happen.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
I just want to see a huge battle between GI Joe and Cobra that isn't underwater with sinking ice burgs to happen. Is that too much to ask for from Hollywood? I mean, they have all kinds of climatic crazy shit happening in Transformers, why not G.I. Joe?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
That would be awesome. Doubly so if the Joe and Cobra designs were cool and they matching figures were hanging on the peg a month before hand.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'd love to see a battle field between Joe and Cobra similar in scope to what was in Edge of Tomorrow between the humans and aliens...but with a new director who likely won't have any care for the source material, I'm doubtful it'll be any better than the others, which isn't saying much...and that's taking into consideration that Chu seemed to REALLY care about the source material...

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Well, you gotta admit he has more charisma/mojo than Chanum Tater Duke and Black Ripcord though...

Just sayin'... :shrug:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Oh for sure! But just like I've always wanted, I'd rather see mutable small teams working in different locals with converging missions near the end of the film. I don't want to see them revolving around one core character let alone that same character for two films. As much as I dig Rocks movies, I'm not really interested in seeing "GIJOE" slapped on a film simply to be a vehicle for him.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Maybe they just needed more big explosions, half-dressed underage hotties with no actual plot contribution, and racial stereotypes in those sucky movies, a la Michael Bay. At least then they could have counted on the ghetto audience to turn out to spend all their gubment cash. :rolleyes: