G.I.JOE 3 discussion

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Well, in 1985 there was the Pyramid of Darkness, and then in 1987 with Cobra-La. You mean those movies, right? (Okay, the first is a miniseries, but still. Better fucking plot than ROC and Retaliation combined.)

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
There has never been a good GI Joe movie, nor will there be. Sunbow included.

Arise, Serpentor was probably my favorite movie-length story as a kid, and it's still dumb.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Gawd, please no!...possibility of Duke returning...I like the first comment in the comments section..

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=91622

He was rather vague about it. He never says Duke and they don't actually quote the question he's answering. I think people are assuming it's Duke. We have all of the Joes except SE possibly being killed, plus Destro.

Also, it could just as likely be a flashback that bridges all of the movies.

Last edited:

Vortious

Officer II
Feb 13, 2013
I know I'm going to get dog piled, but why not bring Sargent Slaughter in as the new leader? That was the plan w/ the old 80's movie right? The guy is still alive, and quite literally kicking, so I could see Roadblock going to him at least as a big boss behind the scenes leader, or former mentor, or something. Didn't see Retaliation yet so I don't know where Colton is I think Bruce Willis seemed like he'd be a good choice for a new leader, but Slaughter has always been a favorite of mine since I was a kid.

lotusblack80

Enlisted
Jul 15, 2013
Colorado
Retaliation sucked so bad. I think the problem is the director and maybe the writers. I wish they would make something a little more mature or maybe even realistic. These Joe movies are really starting to turn out like borderline B-rate movies.

I want more gore and real action and if a character dies, LET HIM DIE. Leave it alone dont bring him back for the sequel (I hate that sh-t).

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I would be cool seeing Slaughter as a cameo. Maybe he's a general or a adviser now? Getting a 30-60 second cameo would be cool.

Fred Broca

Enlisted
Jun 2, 2012
The Empyrean
And let's make the Comm guy a fucking middle-eastern looking dude. Way to go, stereotypes.

What stereotype is this, I'm not familiar with it. Now to have Arab as a demolitions expert would have been problematic.

I wanna see fucking GI Joes in a fucking GI Joe movie. I'm not talking all 605 "active" members from the ARAH canon, but can we get 15-20 "named" guys in a few teams, doing different tasks? Something like a recognizable Joe force from Resolute, with a few background guys tossed in for flavor. They can have support "greenshirts" but as just military backup, not specifically Joe members. That never made sense to me.

15 or 20 guys for a movie is too many people, the roster would have to no more than maybe 8 to give everybody proper screen time. Now to reiterate something we've all heard before. Hasbro is a toy company. One of this toy company's products is "army men," and the "army's mens'" accessories. Being that the target demo are boys between the ages of 7 to maybe 13, and supposedly America is a "war fatigued," nation. How does Hasbro successfully market these army men and their accessories to the target demo? Keep in mind that movies, cartoons, video games, etc. are nothing more than elaborate advertising tools with the aim of getting parents to buy the army men and their accessories. Unless of course you want to target another group, which leads to the argument that men in their late 20's to early 40's aren't a big enough of a demographic to keep the G. I. JOE brand alive.

As for Cobra, I'd be happy to see Bludd, the Twins, and Destro return. Maybe with his IGs. And Cobra needs to be a goddamn threat, not 20 Cobras with 2-3 tanks, a hover craft and a few helicopters.

Considering the theme that Retaliation took, I found it very surprising that the Twins and Siegies weren't utilized. I personally felt that Crimson Guard should have been a part of the "president's" security detail, in the upper echelon of government with one of the Twins in a cabinet or NSA post, with of course C. C. calling the shots. I never understood why G. I. JOE wasn't a direct reboot.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I didn't mind the guy who played Breaker. In fact, if they ever created a TV show, he's now so cheap that he could reprise that role.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
*cough*oceans 13*cough*

People act like this is the Avengers and you'd have to split time featuring each kicking ass. Even the comic easily incorporated large casts.

You should be able to find 15+ supporting actors that are cheap and adequate. TV does it all of the time.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I didn't mind the guy who played Breaker. In fact, if they ever created a TV show, he's now so cheap that he could reprise that role.

i couldn't stand him. Ripcord got 99% of the hate from most people and it pissed me off too but nothing made me more angry than arab Breaker.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
He was hardly even in the movie.

I know lol.

I just couldn't stand everything about him. His look, voice, speaking parts, that lame ass bubble gum easter egg, just fucking everything. Of course I can't point to hardly anything I do like about that film.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Of course I can't point to hardly anything I do like about that film.

:GOODlaughingemoticonthatwedonthave:

That's me too...eye candy is about it...the thing I disliked most had to've been Taintum...I couldn't stand his ghetto accent and attitude...he just acted the complete opposite of what I think of when I think of Duke...not to mention how dry and toast like he was...

But I also really hated race changing for no reason...and all the weird pointless relationship triangles...and the sh!tty CGI...and the accelerator suits...and, oh gawd forget it...I HATED the entire movie...just sh!t...complete and utter sh!t!

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011

That's me too...eye candy is about it...the thing I disliked most had to've been Taintum...I couldn't stand his ghetto accent and attitude...he just acted the complete opposite of what I think of when I think of Duke...not to mention how dry and toast like he was...

But I also really hated race changing for no reason...and all the weird pointless relationship triangles...and the sh!tty CGI...and the accelerator suits...and, oh gawd forget it...I HATED the entire movie...just sh!t...complete and utter sh!t!

I'm completely okay with race changing if they get a really good actor or actress for the part, which Joe 1 failed to do. The original ARAH characters leaves little room for a 2014 America where there are plenty of mixed race individuals much less other races. 80's Joes were whiter than the average 2014 white guy anyways. It wasn't until I was older that I realized that Shipwreck wasn't actually supposed to be white.

I mean there are people who think the Rock wasn't "black" enough. The dude was in The Nation of Domination for crying out loud.

If you talked to the Japanese guys on Hisstank, you'd swear Hasbro threw them into an Internment camp over a Korean playing Stormshadow.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I know lol.

I just couldn't stand everything about him. His look, voice, speaking parts, that lame ass bubble gum easter egg, just fucking everything. Of course I can't point to hardly anything I do like about that film.

Making the comm guy a Middle Easterner bugged me, only slightly less than if he was Indian. I mean it's probably accurate, but it just stepped too closely to "OMG the tech support guy is Indian! LOLZ" if I was the casting director…

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I mean there are people who think the Rock wasn't "black" enough. The dude was in The Nation of Domination for crying out loud.

If you talked to the Japanese guys on Hisstank, you'd swear Hasbro threw them into an Internment camp over a Korean playing Stormshadow.

Eddie was one of those Rockblock guys. :D

And I refuse to watch Memoirs of a Geisha because they cast three of the major female roles with Chinese actresses. What, were there no Japanese actresses to be found? Do all Asians just look alike, so we aren't supposed to care?

I don't know why that bothers me and a Korean Stormshadow doesn't.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Well I'm not a linguistics expert, but someone did say they were speaking Korean, when the Dojo was supposed to be in Japan. So I get that part.

Tatum suck...tired of arguing about it at this point.

It would have been a simple fix to make ripcord & Duke into new characters/Joes & I think the fan reaction would have been much better.

& Sarge Slaughter was in retaliation, He was one of Joe Colton's men. He got one or two close up shots, but he was not identified a SS. (Not sure if that has to do with trademarks, although I thought Robert Remus did own the rights to the name, but what do I know?)

MMorelock66

Isn't a Gijoe fan
Apr 4, 2012
the land of Virginia
I'm completely okay with race changing if they get a really good actor or actress for the part, which Joe 1 failed to do. The original ARAH characters leaves little room for a 2014 America where there are plenty of mixed race individuals much less other races. 80's Joes were whiter than the average 2014 white guy anyways. It wasn't until I was older that I realized that Shipwreck wasn't actually supposed to be white.

I laughed way too much at that Nation of Domination line. Holy shit.

Fred Broca

Enlisted
Jun 2, 2012
The Empyrean
*cough*oceans 13*cough*

But wouldn't you say "Oceans," is the exception as opposed to the rule. Considering that Hollywood is completely void any originality, if this concept was easy to pull off as it in theory, then we would see more movies like.

I'm not hatin' because it this concept was successfully pulled off it was flow as beautifully as Luke's, Han, and Leia's story's did in Episode V and VI
. However, the potential for a cluster fuck is too great and people and critics would, "This was a mish mosh of disconnected stories that were seemingly forced together. It would take a director and screenwriters of exceptional skill to pull that shit off.

*cough*call of duty and similar games selling like hotcakes every time a new one is released*cough*

The target demo is little different. A large portion of the people buying those games are adults. Here were talking about product that is mainly targeted for children. Remember Hasbro is so sensitive about shit that their market research revealed or some smart ass figured out that parents wouldn't buy COBRA figures because COBRA was a terrorist organization, despite the fact that COBRA and terrorists are the bad guys.

You should be able to find 15+ supporting actors that are cheap and adequate. TV does it all of the time.

But who is going to play the lead roles? I have this discussion with my boy Chuck all time when he complains about actors salaries and the money should be used for special effects. I have then kindly remind him that most people go see movies based on who's in them and I'm slowly starting to become this way myself.

The first movie I ever wanted to see based solely on the casting was "The Departed," and I'm starting to be inclined to see anything that Christian Bale and J.G.L. is in. People aren't going to want to see a movie with random actors based on an action figure, unless said movie has some serious positive buzz about it, (a la The Dark Knight) Unfortunately, the people that do movies based on toys aren't treating the subject matter with the same seriousness that Marvel Studios does with its properities (which in turned forced the WB to get off their ass and develop their DC properties that didn't involve "a strange visitor from another planet or a dude that wears a cowl with pointy ears.

The fucked up part about it and the cold irony is that Hasbro and Paramount have the opportunity to develop cinematic universe using the G. I. JOE brand. There's so many characters with great back stories that are just begging to developed. S. E. and Scarlett's relationship. S.E., Stalker's, and S.S. friendship. Destro's and the Barnoness' relationship. The formation of the JOE team. Why was Hawk picked to be field commander? What is C.C.'s motivation , how did his relationship with the Twins develop, (which would be dope as fuck and the infiltration of the Siegies into the upper echelons of society.

Then you can have inside joke Easter egg comedic shit, like Dusty being sent on a mission in the Arctic, Iceberg being sent on mission to the MidEast, the possibility of Ace cheating at poker, and Tripwire's clumsiness. Personally, I have a thing for Chuckles and I developed him into the JOEs equivalent to Bond with his protagonist being Firefly.

But I also really hated race changing for no reason

I'm completely okay with race changing if they get a really good actor or actress for the part

I agree with Ed, but like the justices on the SCOTUS, I offer a concurring opinion. Forgive ole Fred while he steps upon his "militant negro," soap box for a minute and like Cube said in that song, "I know the game so I watch it unfold."

I have two main reasons for my opposition for race changes in these type of movies.

1) It's diversity for diversity's sake. The powers that be will be like, "Oh this movie is too fucking white, so let's change the race of "x" character in order to keep "x" group off of our ass and placate those muthafuckas. This is often done with changing white characters to black. The latest example of this was Larry Fishbourne as Perry White. However, if there was a need for diversity in MoS, why not use Ron Troupe or if you needed a minority in a supervisory role why not cast Fishbourne as Franklin Stern who was the Planet's publisher, which leads to my next point.

2) Hollywood will change the race of a supporting character, but WON'T do a movie based on an existing minority character. As I said earlier, Hollywood execs have figured out that they can placate the masses by throwing them a bone, but they will hem and haw when it comes to having a minority lead in a movie. For example, everybody wants a Black Panther movie, but as far as I know there isn't one in the works. In this current incarnation of X-Men, will probably never see Storm as team leader, and as it pertains to G. I. JOE, we'll probably never see Stalker or Col. Courage as second-in-command.

The irony is that movie that sparked interest in this genre Blade, should have proven to Hollywood brass that people really aren't trippin' on race, they just want to see a good movie.

For some reason, I find ^^^^ really funny.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I'm not going to deny that there's a PC element behind Hollywood making changes to source material. It's that procedure exactly that created a bad GI Joe film because they're after how the film looks in ad time and not if they make a good film. Changing Ripcord's race was about looks as much as casting Tatum as Duke. Both created paper thin characters with terrible actors portraying them. If they have a supporting character who's traditionally been portrayed as white and Javier Bardem walks in and is perfect for the role except he's not white, I hope they cast him instead of Sam Worthington.

I'm not a ARAH purest and I believe that despite having a couple cartoon series, lots of comics, and a cartoon movie, the Joes are some of the most uninteresting characters with very little actual background created so I don't fault anyone for breaking canon in the attempt to create an interesting cast of characters. If they made Buda played by Keanu or Spirit played by Johnny Depp, I would understand the outrage because those characters are exploitative versions of the Village People. The people responsible for Ripcord being played by Wayans, just fail to consult with any actual creative minds and simply ask the opinion of the marketing tools when they were between coke binges.

Also, it's pretty much believed that Ripcord was originally supposed to be Stalker but they didn't want a movie where a black man has a codename that also has a negative interpretation. Especially since he's all over Scarlet throughout the film. Ripcord is already a name they trademarked and it's a character they assumed many people wouldn't care about unless they were a fan of that one specific comic story line where he engaged in a sniper duel with Zartan on Cobra Island.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I agree with Ed, but like the justices on the SCOTUS, I offer a concurring opinion. Forgive ole Fred while he steps upon his "militant negro," soap box for a minute and like Cube said in that song, "I know the game so I watch it unfold."

I have two main reasons for my opposition for race changes in these type of movies.

1) It's diversity for diversity's sake. The powers that be will be like, "Oh this movie is too fucking white, so let's change the race of "x" character in order to keep "x" group off of our ass and placate those muthafuckas. This is often done with changing white characters to black. The latest example of this was Larry Fishbourne as Perry White. However, if there was a need for diversity in MoS, why not use Ron Troupe or if you needed a minority in a supervisory role why not cast Fishbourne as Franklin Stern who was the Planet's publisher, which leads to my next point.

I'm so glad you said this...while I know you don't speak for all black people, I've always thought that if I was black, I'd feel patronized, and that's exactly what you just said...

So does that bring you to the theater?...do you see a white guy changed to black guy and think "I wasn't gonna see that movie, but now that they've patronized me, I'm in!"?

And I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I hate ALL race changing...white to black, black to white (does that happen?)...I want the established race of character to stay the same...like KT said, I was one of the people who thought The Rock wasn't black enough.

I also didn't like that they used a Korean for a Japanese character...I just watched the extras on The Wolverine, and they made sure to use Japanese actors for Japanese parts, even if the actors weren't known at all...it was very important to them to do so...it made me appreciate the film even more so...

I'm not going to deny that there's a PC element behind Hollywood making changes to source material. It's that procedure exactly that created a bad GI Joe film because they're after how the film looks in ad time and not if they make a good film. Changing Ripcord's race was about looks as much as casting Tatum as Duke. Both created paper thin characters with terrible actors portraying them. If they have a supporting character who's traditionally been portrayed as white and Javier Bardem walks in and is perfect for the role except he's not white, I hope they cast him instead of Sam Worthington.

I don't...i hope they find the right actor of the established race of the character for the part...