G.I. Joe Classified Series (1:12)

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
And I got another “back order delayed” message from Target... Supposedly 10/21 for Outback now. Nobody has botched their whole process with Joe Class more then Tarjay. Apparently all the “Target Exclusives” have been sent to Toys R Us up in Canada to be sold for double the price...

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I got my Stalker wave delivered by Amazon over the weekend. I haven't opened them yet, but Stalker looks great in person. The Twins look ridiculous (just silly), but let's be honest, they always kinda did. I could have skipped them, but I had them as a kid so... nostalgia. I'll pose them back to back at the rear of the display with CC, Destro and the Baroness.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Stalker is great, but his lower fingers are tighter which does not allow Valaverse weapons to fully seat in. His pistol grip is stupid thin an fits right into the new figures, so I believe this is being purposely done.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
You are probably right. Even without nostalgia, I usually end up with at least 2 figs from each wave, even if they aren't the main ones I'm interested in, partially to get the free shipping from AZ or whoever. I'm not a Prime member, so I have to get past $25. Not sure if I could keep something super cheap ready in my cart to circumvent buying a full second fig, or if it has to be all pre-orders on that order.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Got my Alpha Commando SE today! It’s amazing how fast the USPS can be at times (made it here from CA since it was shipped Friday), and it highlights how often they are not nearly that efficient.

Anyway, what a great figure! I kept the backpack and sword from v1 and assembled what I would consider my definitive version tonight. He’ll be back on display tomorrow with his buddy Stalker and the rest of the Joe team. The twins actually look better than I expected on display. I had to move some stuff around to make space, which was a little tedious, but I like the extra flexibility for future additions. Bring on the CGs!

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
So I decided to try it: I cancelled my order with Cover Girl and Falcon and reordered with just Cover Girl and another item I needed from Amazon anyway and it got my free shipping. That leaves me with just Cover Girl from that wave. Falcon is just boring, dated and ugly (dat face! 🤢) and the others are all repaints that I have no use for.

Yes, Outback is "repainted" to the original colors, but I actually like grey haired Outback. He reminds me of how much we've all aged since I had him back in the day. Why do I like that? I dunno. I'm just weird. Anyway, I really hope Target finally gets him delivered so I can upgrade him - to as cool as I am capable of at least. He and Stalker are my "Ol' Dogs" in in the fight.

Stalker definitely looks like he's got some combat miles on him too, which is probably my favorite feature, followed by his new light machine gun. I wonder if that is what they were going for with his "faded" fatigues. I definitely remember the old woodlands getting like that with enough washes.

Reactions: pcsguy88

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Yeah, they were irritating to collect b/c you had to buy two identical 6-packs to get both of them. They weren't exactly sunbow accurate, just repaints of the Headman mold, but I appreciated the effort at the time. Definitely the best we were ever going to get in o-ring form.

1665882724482.png 1665882752483.png

Attachments

• 1665882752586.png
    1665882752586.png
    262.4 KB · Views: 0

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
So I got another message from Target saying that the delivery on my merchandise (presumably Outback because I never buy anything but Joe Class exclusives from them) has been changed (most likely delayed) and that I have to verify that. Well, apparently Target doesn’t allow logins from where I happen to be right now, so I guess I’ll find out what the deal is when I get home. I was really hoping to finally have that fig, not another delay when I got back... 🙄

Did I mention how badly I believe Target has botched their whole approach to GI Joe this time around? They‘ve been terrible with their exclusives (not sure I’ve ever seen any of their exclusives in the store, except for Major Bludd... once) and went all in on those terrible way overpriced, peg warming 5 poa cartoon cards, which I’ve seen warming every time I’ve looked for Class there. It’s a shame for them because they were the place to shop for the 25th Anniversary back in the day. Meh, who shops there anyway? 😝

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I guess I won't be getting grey haired Outback after all. While I was gone, outside the US where they wouldn't log me in, stupid Target cancelled my order. And they are completely out of stock now apparently. I am truly to the point where I doubt I'll follow through with any of the other pre-orders I have left with them. First they don't have a ship date for a year, then they do, then it delays, delays and delays again, then the cancel it. Screw them. I'll just wait and get the regular version of Outback, Bazooka and eventually Recondo, since we all know they'll come eventually.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I still have one on order, and they make me approve a delay every few days. After a year of relentlessly pinging my card, you still need me to approve these interminable delays? WTF Mattel!

I don't think it'll be hard to come by now that the regular version has been announced. Only the hardest core international fans will give a damn about some 90's tribute figure.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Don't go anywhere you can't sign in to approve within a couple days...

I would have thought a bunch would have become available with cancellations once the original version became known, but they are "sold out," at least here in the states (Target exclusive of course). Apparently they are available on the shelves at TRU up in Canada though. 🤷‍♂️

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
That's why I'm in no hurry to pre-order the regular version. I'll probably still go with whatever presents itself first, but only with Target if it comes with free shipping (which of course was nullified when they cancelled my order - at least I got the RB I ordered along with it shipped for free) or if I somehow find it at a store.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
As much as I appreciated the grey haired version, classic Outback it is. My wife ordered something else on Amazon today so I used that free shipping to make my pre-order. I'll have to wait until April for him and Cover Girl according to the current estimate, but whatever, that seems to be the ongoing theme of this line anyway. Lots to look forward to or something I guess.

Reactions: nacho

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I saw a video today that claimed that some of the TF Outbacks have started to show up at Targets in the US. I probably won't be able to keep myself from checking if I find myself in close proximity to one. But that is a whole lot less often now that my son drives himself to his job at Hobby Lobby right next to one and my daughter has found a regular ride to her Civil Air Patrol meetings, also near to one. Oh well. 🤷‍♂️ It'll be hugely ironic if somehow he starts to peg warm...

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Based on the number of people that had theirs canceled, I suspect it's a good possibility... especially now that the normal version has been announced. This deco does not resonate with most Joe fans like the '87 version, so it's going to be a stand-in at best for a while. I'll likely end up using him for fodder to make a different character.

Reactions: ThunderDan19

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I'm still torn on which one I'd prefer. It'll probably come down to which one I can get first for retail price or better. This will likely be true for Recondo and Bazooka as well.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Got my first selfie-series figure back today (Iron Man)... and it's not bad. I debated about the hair color, as I have brown hair, but it's dark. One the figure I went with brown hair and black for the beard.., and I should have just gone all-black, as the brown is waaaaaaaay too light for me. So I'll have to paint that, and I'll probably add some grey to the beard and temples, but otherwise, it's pretty good.

I mean, it's not "pretty", but neither am I, so who knows?! I don't know how much it looks like me, as I don't look at myself much, but after I paint it up a bit, we'll see what the family thinks. I think it'll be as close as you could get with a 1:12 head 3d-printed from some cell phone pics. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We'll see if my Snake Eyes figure comes back in similar shape in a few days.

Reactions: ThunderDan19

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
It'll be cool to see your finished product with your preferred kit and weapons!

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
So I found myself in proximity to a large Target and a Super Walmart done in Lynchburg today. I figured I’d check for the elusive TF Outback since there have been reports that they have been getting spotted occasionally. No luck in the OB, but I did see about a half dozen peg warming Gung Hos. I believe those would have to be left over from the BAT/AV wave, so they’ve probably been there a while.

I left there and headed to WM. There I saw my first batch of Retro figs in the wild - Baroness and LJ, a few of each. There was also a single GH and 8 Croc Masters warming the shelf. I really don’t think there is nearly enough demand for CM to price him at $43 a pop. While it was fun to be out on the hunt, it was a little bit of a disappointment to see so much warming and nothing new or interesting.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Yeah, my closest WM has eight (8!) retro LJs, and that's it. It's a Joe wasteland.

Pulse says my Serpentor is going to ship soon, so that's cool. It's not my favorite sculpt, as the snake helmet is far too sleek, not a big chonky snake, but I'm excited nonetheless. Hopefully deluxe Mindbender is released before too long too, as those two are somewhat lost without the other.

Should get my selfie SE figure this week too.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, Serpy was an easy pass for me. Putting snake fangs directly in front of his eyes is hardly practical or tactical. And there‘s just something off with the figure. I can’t fully put my finger on it, but I just never had any interest from the reveal. I had him back in the day where his helmet was way wider (almost too wide), but he would at least be able to see whoever he’s battling. No issue with completists picking him up, but he and Mindbender will likely never grace my collection.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Got TF Outback today. Looks good, aside from a weird glob of blue paint on his nose. I'm assuming a little isopropyl will remove that without much fuss.

Got my Selfie SE figure today too. While it's clearly the same person as my other selfie figure, it's definitely different. I look fatter and more asian than my Iron Man selfie head. I still think it'll look ok when I get done painting the hair and detailing the beard, but the ML head definitely came out better. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
The whole TF Outback Target fiasco is just weird. You'd think they'd have tons around now that they cancelled so many orders, yet it's always out of stock and not showing up in the stores in any numbers. There aren't even very many up on ebay or mercari. Very odd. You might keep that unicorn in its box for now. Maybe the majority sunk in the Pacific somewhere and you have a collector's item. 🤷‍♂️