G.I. Joe Classified Series (1:12)

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Ah, that's a good point. I had forgotten that they are a little more ambitious for the DF. I'm also impatient since the next two unlocks will make or break my interest in supporting it.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Whaaaa? Cobra EEL pre-order today? That's a definitely yes, he was a huge favorite as a kid as my Cobra version of a SEAL. Tunnel Rat is apparently dropping today too. Now I'm gonna have to get off the fence and pre-order a Torpedo as well. Not sure why Amazon has not had him available. I'm hoping that maybe they were waiting to drop him with the EEL and he'll become available today. I'm gonna have to figure out how to display them over the next 6 months while I wait for them to arrive. Maybe some fancy attached-at-the-hips display mounts or something like that so they can struggle "underwater."

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Eel is up but won't let me cart it.

Edit: Ok, it's in the cart. Just need Tunnel Rat to let me avoid shipping cost.

I really wish Torpedo would pop up there too. Otherwise, I might have to suck it up and get him from BBTS for $30. :rolleyes:

On a happy note, I found some pretty cool stands that I will probably get for the divers:

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
It wouldn't let me add to cart either. I switched to my phone and got through. First time I only let me order 1, the second time as many as I wanted. WTF mattel!
Who says Joe fans are too few to jack up a retail site!!! :p

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I went ahead and pre-ordered the EEL to make sure it didn't sell out and added the stands to get free shipping. As long as TR drops within 24 hours I can get him shipped free too.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
So apparently the free shipping for 24 hours is not true when part of your order is a pre-order (or something). So TR will sit in limbo until I need something else from Amazon. He's actually less of a priority for me than Torpedo now so he can wait. Dang I wish they had Torpedo...

I'm glad I got my EEL pre-ordered though, as they are sold out now. Sounds like some folks may have taken advantage of the "buy as many as you want" option.

Edit: I've concluded that, while not widely publicized, Torpedo seems to be an online toy store exclusive. He's not on Amazon, Walmart or Target. So... I sucked it up and pre-ordered him from BBTS, since they have the best shipping rate. Looks like he, RnR, Scrap Iron and even the Eel are all supposed to arrive in September. Should be an exciting month...

Tunnel Rat isn't supposed to drop until November, so I got some time to chill on that. Not worried about it right now, but I should be "hungry" again by then.

Last edited:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Soooo, the reveal is Glenda (international scarlett in blue/white). The most significant features are 1) she's a new mold that will certainly be used for a retro 80's Scarlett at retail. 2) she comes with a rifle and backpack that clearly belong to '82 Flash, leading us to believe that he's not far away as well.

1686835482537.png

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
My secondary thoughts are that if her hair were a little longer, she'd be perfect for MASS Device blonde Covergirl. And what kind of codename is "Glenda"? Other than the "good witch" from Wizard of Oz, I don't have any idea where that might originate or mean anything significant. It just sounds like her actual name and they were too lazy to give her a real codename. I'd be pissed if I was named Jane and got the codename Glenda. Glenda sounds like a fat chick, like Gertrude or Bertha.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Well, that's disappointing. I was thinking it was you who called it, but I guess it was another guy (on youtube I think) that said the second unlock would be a girl, just like with the HISS. Maybe I'm uninformed, but I don't see how Glenda (never featured in any cartoon or comic) gets anybody, but maybe the hardest core completists (or maybe foreigners), excited for the Dragonfly. Can people even participate in the Haslabs outside the US, Canada and maybe parts of Europe?

Can she be any more: a. out of place in that goofy uniform b. obviously a preemptive repaint of parts needed for other figs (Retro Scarlett, Retro Flash :wtf: ) c. obscure to the general fandom and d. a girl fig just to be a girl fig. She would peg warm harder than the massively overproduced JoeClass and Retro LJs, Retro Baronesses and SE Movie Scarletts, Baronesses and Kiko(?)s if she were mass produced.

If it had to be a girl, I would have been more excited if it were Helix or even Bombstrike. Either could have been teamed up with Ripcord as some kind of night insertion team that dove in behind enemy lines or something. Bombstrike is a forward air controller at least. Heck, a pilot Scarlett would have been more universal.

I'm kind of baffled by it, and disappointed that it wasn't either Airborne or Hawk.

Last edited:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
IDK, if the mandate was that it had to be a girl, what's better/worse?

1 - A lame repaint of a character we already have that will immediately go into the storage bin
2 - A good repaint of a character we already have that will likely piss off everyone that didn't shell out $275+ to get one
3 - A new character that will certainly piss off everyone that didn't shell out $275+ to get one
4 - A lame deco on a new character that we know will see a "proper" deco released to the masses later down the road.

Aside from including Bill, which is expected and essentially required, any figure they put in the campaign is going to be bad because nobody wants it, or bad to include because everyone, including non-backers, DOES want it. It's a bit of a no-win situation.

I like that it's a new character in this scale for a girl, as Joe doesn't have that many to start with... better than NF Scarlett or something, but not a character that would ever likely get a retail release. It gets new tooling for a likely popular repaint or two later on. And for a next-to-last stretch, it's above average. The next-to-last HISS unlock was some alternate tread armor bits. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I do expect the final reveal to be something better though. I agree an alternate deco leader figure would fit their MO with these things. O13 Hawk would be welcome (although I still have hope for a retail MMS), but I still expect it to fall into the boring alt deco of a figure to be made later... i.e. NF Airborne or some such... and we'll get the real thing in 2026 or some time in the dim distant future.

I still think red GS would be awesome at straddling the line between being a good offering while not being 100% essential, assuming a silver version was planned eventually.

Last edited:

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I couldn't agree more that the armor/bolt ons for the HISS were lame, and actually made me less likely to support it. If they had taken the effort they - I'll say it, wasted - on that bolt on SuperHISS!!! crap and made a towable ASP instead, I would have been willing to even sacrifice one or more of the figs and gotten onboard.

As for Glenda, she obviously made me less likely to support the DF as well, but I see your point about the no-win. But how about this - if it has to be a girl, why not just do a legit pilot Scarlett, with a real OD flightsuit and flight helmet (not a funky blue and white leotard and go-go boots)? How about she just comes with a nice carbine (maybe even Torpedo's shorty so no new mold) instead of a laser rifle - again :wtf:? It would be a unique version of a girl that suits the application, but nobody should be butthurt about if they don't support the effort, since she's only really suitable for that job with the flightsuit/helmet anyway.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I get where you're coming from, but I think the assumption is that generic pilot Scarlett wouldn't move the needle in the least. Their goal is to sell more choppers, and girl-in-flight-suit would not accomplish that goal. You could argue they actually already tried that with the skystriker campaign, gave us a scarlett on a baby-blue Ace body, and it was by far the weakest and least desirable figure in the offering. It was campaign specific and nobody who didn't buy one was sad about it, but... I think they knew that may have been what kept it close to not funding. It was close.

For me personally, it wouldn't move the needle unless I saw some potential in the OD flightsuit to make a Maddie Pryor custom or something. Your brain is back to wishing this was real-world military, not 80's sci-fi redux, and that's a hard divergence from the perceived majority of Joe fans from Hasbro's perspective.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
You are absolutely spot on in my defaulting to wanting a more realistic, modernized Joe team for JoeClass. I know not everybody wants that, but I think there are a lot of us who do. Not scientific, and obviously a small sample, but just a snapshot of how the fandom (at least the ones motivated enough to participate) is torn on this:
1686851642105.png
Do I think that 79% of all Joe fans want improved/modernized versions for JoeClass? No, but the percentage is substantial. I also understand that Hasbro has to try to navigate this. My argument is that they are doing it poorly, to the detriment of the campaign. They are now trying to have it both ways in a single collection.

I think Hasbro started off on the right foot with a bunch of offerings to give everybody a chance to get what they wanted from GI Joe 2020's:
  • For the purist retro collector: Retro 4" and then Retro 6", and supposedly an O-ring line
  • For the modernist: Classified 6"
  • For the Cartoon enthusiast: Super 7s and ReAction figs (farmed out to another company)
The problems began when they decided to reduce offerings from their retro lines (too many lines/not enough interest/other reasons?) and decided to just incorporate all that into JoeClass instead. Now they took and bunched all the retro fans in with the modernist fans who were already supporting that line, at least partially due to the updated styling. And now they have to try to cater to both.

I think that, at least for me, has pushed me away from the already expensive Haslabs. If the HT would have simply concentrated on providing a modernized version instead of an over-armed super HISS and had they chosen to offer more value over nostalgia, gimmicks and repaints, I'd have been onboard. Maybe others decided it was the only shot at getting it and just went for it, but I just couldn't justify it. I have a hard time spending significant cash for a schizophrenic offering that can't decide if it's new and improved or retro and obscure.

Now I've found myself in the same boat with the DF. Knowing it's already expensive for a toy, I was leaning toward getting it anyway, seeing how it was a modernized, upgraded version with a very good, updated version of Ripcord. I was hoping that would be the trend the rest of the way. Instead, since we are trying to placate both crowds and cater to the "we must produce gurlz!!!" mafia, we end up with what can only be characterized as a disappointment to most:
1686854190639.png
Again, not scientific, but trending from all the videos I've seen on the topic.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
You see, we don't even read the polls the same way. That first poll says "exact duplicates vs improved". When I read "exact duplicates" I think of those Gentle Giant 12" Straight arm Joes, exact same sculpts as the 80's just upscaled. Thus I would view 99% of classified as "improved", as in the articulation, sculpts, paint, etc have all been drastically improved. OG Dusty, Scarlett, and Covergirl had face sculpts only a mother could love. Nobody (not even the 21%) want exact replicas of those.

I do not read the results of that poll, regardless of how scientifically accurate it is or isn't, to mean that 79% of respondents want "modernized real world" products. "Improved" is a vague term that each respondent will interpret in their own way. The way I want them improved is nothing like the way you want them improved.

And that second poll... hell, I couldn't even answer that one. While it does indicate Glenda isn't roaringly popular, my answer would have been a combination of 2 & 3 "I don't care about Glenda. I feel indifferent". I don't see her as a fail, just not in the top-10 things I would have hoped to see in that slot. But again, it in no way indicates that people wanted a real-world-modern figure. Hell, half the respondents probably would have preferred a figure of Snake Eyes in a yellow dress, wig, and purple hat.

1686860719641.png

Truth is, I think you should be prepared to be disappointed. While I was the biggest champion of 6" Joes, I didn't love the initial waves. It wasn't until they got a lot more ARAH faithful that I started to really love what they're doing. My least favorite figures are the early "modernized" ones, where their idea of modern is shin-guards, sci-fi guns, and everyone wearing an Alexa.

Honestly, I'm surprised you're not a bigger fan of the Valaverse stuff... because it's nothing but modernized generic military in every possible color and real-world modern gear combination. Seems like it would be right up your alley, far moreso than any flavor of Joe.

Last edited:

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I guess having watched the videos released around the time of the polls, I'm a little more aware of the author's intent, despite the less than descriptive poll choices. The bottom line is that the JoeClass has had to become a combination of retro and modern/near future due to Hasbro truncating the lines that were supposed to provide the retro options.

It's a shame because that fact takes away the potential for really doing well at either, at least half the time. Fortunately, there seems to be enough interest that the line continues to sell pretty well, so hopefully eventually everybody gets enough of the deco they prefer by the time it peters out.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Agreed, they'll certainly wear out every mold at every opportunity.

Totally cereal, have you tried any Vala figures? Their generic troopers and gear packs seem like something you'd be nuts over. And the ease with which you can mix-n-match parts, use many ML heads, etc... i.e. the reasons I like to customize them as Joes, I'd think you'd be customizing your ultimate modern squad.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I've checked them out and some of them do look pretty cool! I've even picked up a couple accessories to utilize in "finishing" out my Joes, and will probably continue to get the Vala parts I need on the secondary market. The only thing they are lacking is that genuine history I have with GI Joe.

It's really hard to recreate that instant recognition that I (and others) have with the Joe characters, and, honestly, the nostalgia is how I justify having a buttload of 6" action figures on my shelf at work. If they weren't recognizable, or if I had to explain who they were every time somebody asked, it'd get a little awkward I think.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
I had the 25th anniversary version, but she was named pilot Scarlet.
It’s not a bad idea to get a “new” character that wouldn’t be made otherwise
Granted she’s not the draw that ripcord or something else might be.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I had the 25th anniversary version, but she was named pilot Scarlet.
It’s not a bad idea to get a “new” character that wouldn’t be made otherwise
Granted she’s not the draw that ripcord or something else might be.
I don't know why they didn't call her Glenda in the 25th era. By the time they got to the Club FSS just a couple of years later, they had no issues making new versions of old school international figures like TNT, Gaucho, Jammer, and Bombardier.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
As far as the 25th version I only saw her in Big lots of all places they never had joes. Can’t say there was any kind of win as that point. But she was a cool figure who was eventually parted out to several custom figures.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I think they're just trying to straddle the line between cool-but-not-essential. They want it to juice sales without alienating fans by putting a critical character behind a spendy paywall. I agree Glenda is pretty "meh", but I applaud the attempt to try to give us something more interesting than another NF repaint or other version of a character we already have. And if it paves the way for the obvious ARAH retro Scarlett, all the better.

It's better than HISS armor bits, and it's better than cardboard set pieces like the Rancor team tried to use as a stretch goal. While I don't think it'll impact the campaign, the whole crux is going to be the final (usually best) reveal. If that's a homerun, everyone will forget about their Glenda apathy.

After watching that video you posted the other day, I hope the final stretch is Hector Ramirez. He spent a lot of time in the DF reporting on this or that. It probably wouldn't sell a lot of choppers, but it would be funny as hell.

• Haha
Reactions: ThunderDan19

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Since you mentioned the card, I glanced at it and now wonder what it's from. Did they make a Mickey Mouse O-ring CC as well?

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA

Surprisingly, I think that Snow Serpent is the weakest of the batch, despite all the gear (so much he couldn't possibly pack it all). For once I wish they had kept more to the original. He was nearly the perfect arctic trooper back in the day, came with plenty of stuff and really didn't need anything additional to be a complete fig.

And they gave him a tiny little head. It really stands out next to the others. I suppose it was so that the wolf hood doesn't become too ginormous. At least the head looks a little less tiny with the goggles on his forehead.

If I get him, I'm going to have to swap out his rifle for his iconic AK (the closest current version). I really don't think I can find a way to use any of the wolf pelt stuff unless it looks 500% better in person than in the pics. Was that from some later version?

Gonna have to wait and see if I can pick up a Snow Job before I commit, since they only really work together. Maybe next time Pulse has a sale if I catch it. Like with Torpedo and the Eel, I'll have to set up a separate display. At least I got my fancy display stands now so I'm a little more prepared than I was.

We've seen Grunt and Low Light before. They are both pretty good and I'll likely get them. I may hold off on the early pre-orders since I've already got 5 in the queue and neither of these are over the top awesome. I'll probably do it once I've got some gift card credit built up at Amazon again.

Edit: Apparently the wolf pelt/head is due to a mini-story in the mind of the devs or to indicate the "alpha." Ok... and of course we get to pay extra for all that deeeeeluxe plastic.

Last edited:

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Lol, I talk a big game, but what did I do? I pre-ordered Snow Serpent and Grunt (was able to resist Low Light) on Amazon (free shipping at least), and pre-ordered Snow Job (shipping and all since he's only on Pulse). I figured with the time delay until they come in for shipping I can change my mind if I come to my senses. Plus, I don't think, as an exclusive, SJ will be included in any sales any time soon. He doesn't qualify for the one they are running now, so I doubt he will later.

My fear of missing out got me again. At least now I have a couple ideas about how to set up a sea and an arctic display separate from my main one. Although this is pretty terrible for my wallet. :LOL:

So now it looks like:

September (bonanza!) - Snow Job, Rock n Roll, Scrap-Iron, Torpedo and Eel
November - Grunt, Tunnel Rat and Crimson Viper
December - Snow Serpent

Hmm, I wonder if there are any more releases expected in Yo Joe June? 😬

Last edited:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Yeah, there's supposed to be two more figures next wednesday to round out the month. I forget who the projections are...

I totally missed out on snow serpent on pulse and amazon today (I knew I would, couldn't be helped), as I was stuck on another 3hr college campus walking tour at the time, but when I got home, I ordered the two regular figures (plus a couple extra Grunts for customs), and then I paid the dollar BBTS tax for a couple of snow serpents. Real life comes first over plastic crack.

I too don't like the wolf thing, but I'm glad the head is separate from the pelt/cape. I'll never use the head, but I might find a use for the pelts. I wish the figures were a slightly more grey plastic like their ARAH counterparts, but that's pretty minor. But overall, I could have done without the wolf head, cape, and snowboard and gotten this guy back to standard MSRP. Even with all that junk, it doesn't seem like much more gear than the Eel comes with for the normal price. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The 25th gave us a differently deco'd Snow Serpent Officer, so we're almost certain to get a repaint down the road, hopefully at a more troop-builder price.

Reactions: ThunderDan19

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I guess my FOMO was a little bit substantiated by the quick departure of the Serpents. I didn't expect them to go quite that fast though, since they were not exclusives like the Eels, and with their tiny heads :LOL:. I know they'll be back in stock at some point (and realize they may still be at some of the higher priced shops), but it feels good to have one locked in. Like you said, if there's a standard version sans all the superfluous extras and hopefully with an improved head, I'll probably pick that up down the road and assign one as the NCO or something like that. I want to try out a trooper helmet on him when he gets here. If that fits, I may do a quick paintjob to white for one of those. My CI trooper is pretty redundant and I could use the space if I phase him out and scavenge any useful gear from him.

I tried out one of my new stands with Storm Shadow, since he looked a little lame just standing there with his sword out while everybody else had their guns out. So far, it feels pretty spindly, but seems to be holding. We'll have to see how they hold up under the extra weight of figs with scuba and arctic gear. The good news is that I could add a second (or even third) arm if I need to, since there are three holes in each base for the pegs. Or I could use a second full base if balance became an issue. Gonna take up a lot of space if I do though.

1687439629815.png

Reactions: nacho

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
It's easy to get FOMO'd when these things are "order now, pay/deliver in 9 months if you're lucky." You have so much time to talk yourself out of them if you wish... or in my case, dream up new customs that require ordering even more.

While the reveals are coming fast and furious, the actual delivery is pretty slow. My list of POs from Pulse, AMZ, WM, and BBTS is extensive. I'm expecting Retro SE and CG from WM to drop any time now, but considering how they botched the previous wave (some people still haven't gotten their POs while the figures have been readily available on the site for months now - at slightly higher prices, WTF mattel!), I have no clue what to expect.

I'll be surprised if the Steel Corps 2-pack doesn't go up for sale next week, as well as the final two figures of the TR, Grunt, LL wave... whoever those turn out to be. Tripwire? Chuckles? Hawk? A pair of Dreadnoks?

Last edited:

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
The only question is when will you ever find the time to do all those customs? Early retirement? :LOL: I can't wait to see them if we're still around here by then! It's amazing that this place is still here at all... running on autopilot most of the time.

As for next week's figs: one of the youtube guys I watch thinks it'll be Firefly and Shadow Tracker, and the Steel Corps. If that turns out to be true, at least my wallet will finally get a break. I only really want to get that little RC drone from the FF to add to my custom version, which I should be able to pick up in the secondary market. I've got zero interest in ST or the SC figs.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
That seems like a reasonable/possible list.

I'll get one SC pack just to go with my Vala Steel Brigade troops. They'll be just enough different to give the group a little variety and not be completely identical.

While I like the improvements I made to CI Firefly, I'll gladly take a new/classic one. Amazing that we're a Wild Weasel and Stinger Driver away from having the full 82-84 Cobra roster, and only need three Dreadnoks and Lampreys to finish out '85.

Shadow Tracker... I'm torn, as I don't want to discourage new-ish characters now and then, as they keep things interesting, he doesn't do much for me. He's like a Predator-wannabe Spirit analog. I can see getting one and adding him to the ancillary Dreadnok ranks like I do with Vala Pandora and Kerek. I'll have to study the figure closely, see what kind of parts he has, see if there are any with custom potential. Definitely a low-priority figure for sure.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, I still have more Cobras than Joes in my collection, though only by 2 now, and only until the pre-orders I have now come in. Then it'll finally be even. It just seems like generally there have been more good Cobra offerings than for the Joes, particularly early on. When I look over at my display, even with a couple repaints, there are still way more Cobra figs that I truly like better than probably half my Joes.

I'll support new characters if they are generally cool looking and seem to have a place. Like I'd happily buy a good Helix figure. I just never had any real interest in ST.