G.I. Joe Classified Series (1:12)

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Wow! My SS still says December from Amazon, a month later than the other three I have ordered there. I can see somebody skipping the line in the not so distant future if the trend continues. This line is so crayzay!!! :p

Oh, and aren't there rumors some others may drop for pre-order next week? I thought I heard that somewhere...

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Yeah, there is talk that Shadow Tracker and that Varma "Ghost Spider" character are going to go up for PO soon. I'm still stunned that last one is a real product. When they go on clearance, I might buy up a few to turn into a squad of OpForces, but I'm not putting generic new guy next to my classic favs on the Joe shelf.

It's like they woke up and thought, "Oh shit, even though Joe is as multicultural as they get, we completely forgot about the Indian sub-continent. Quick, put out a generic ranger in a mask and give him a hindu name, stat!"

And the more I look at Shadow Tracker, the less I care. I have the original PoC version, and I don't think I've been compelled to pick him up since the day I opened the package. He's a human dressed like Predator. I'm not sure what part I'm supposed to get excited about.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Lol, so true! I think both are gonna be hanging out for a long time like all the TF Dustys I saw last night! I’m impressed that Wallyworld is still selling out Joe CS figs at $22 but letting overstocked Retros hang on the pegs at $25. Still a ton of GHs and LJs there along with green pants SEs and Scrap Irons. SI’s a great fig, but the price is certainly not optimal. And I wonder if clogged pegs are keeping retro SE and silver CG from hitting the stores.

I was hoping that maybe Hawk, Mutt and Helix might go up next, particularly if other figs are moving sooner for delivery.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Apparently my SJ shipped as well. I should get him by the end of next week most likely. No word yet on anything moving forward from Amazon, with SS still saying December. 🤷‍♂️

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Snow Serpent is a solid figure. Tight joints, good plastic, overall what you'd expect. I'd have preferred a more grey color than the near-white we got, but that's a minor nitpick.

His accessories on the other hand are a borderline travesty. Recolored Bazooka launcher, backpack, and projectiles... and the toony laser rifle that came with the two cobra female troopers and another gun. All so rubbery that you could tie them in knots. It's like they're made of chewing gum. Both guns are way too small for an adult male and look like children's toys in his hands. He comes with two basic pistols that fit into the holsters on either thigh, never to be removed again. He also comes with a knife that has no home (?!?)

The snow shoes look like 2x4s rather than old-school tennis rackets, and the snow-board is meh. And don't get me started on the wolf pelt and skull-cap. They look beyond stupid. Why would you wear this? To antagonize the most dangerous Joe and his pet wolf? Seems smart.

I wish this had been a regular release with less useless extras, as I feel like it's a great figure saddled with $10 of junk nobody asked for or wanted. Worth adding to the collection, practically essential if you're picking up SnowJob, but you'll have to wince while you pay for it... because it's a $25 figure for $35.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, of all the figs that deserved all new accessories... That’s disappointing. I’m already planning to give mine the AK analog from the Alley Viper and ditching all the worst accessories. If you get a sec, could you tell me if a Cobra Officer helmet fits over the SS’s little head? I picked up a spare hoping to use it for that.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
It’s actually good news that SS’s head isn’t really that small! Must have just looked that way with his bulky snowsuit. I certainly don’t mind not using the helmet for that, since it’s not that bad in person. Thanks!

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
For whatever reason Amazon has moved Tunnel Rat’s ship date up to the end of this month. The others remain Nov and Dec, at least for now. Weird.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Snowjob x2 arrived today. One of them is getting an ARAH paintjob the minute I get a little time. Black gloves and boots gotta go, and he needs some black on his straps. Otherwise, really excited to get this mold, as it seems it'll be getting a lot of reuse down the line.

I think it came out pretty good. Just doing away with all the brown pouches made him feel a lot more like Snowjob, and giving him white boots and gloves just added more to the ARAH vibe.

snowjob-1.jpg

snowjob-3.jpg

snowjob-2.jpg

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I got my SJ yesterday as well. He's a very solid fig out of the box, but your version looks a lot more likely to blend into a true arctic environment. Sounds like new pre-orders are likely to drop on Friday (naturally on a day when I am traveling). At least these seem to be wide distribution figs so shouldn't be too hard to get reserved, even on the go.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Hawk, Buzzer, Ripper, Shockwave, and Helix are the rumors, but those are often wrong or miss something, so who knows. The digital renders of them all look great, but I'm still going to have to correct Hawk's hair. I might even order a spare to customize further with a black leather jacket like he wore in issue 50, arguably my favorite single-issue comic of all time.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
You gonna make him blonde like the original?

I actually hope they don't all drop at once. I only have so much gift card money left with Amazon and I hate having to use "my own" money for toys.

I have to wonder also why Mutt isn't in the mix. After all, we've seen an actual figure of him vs. just the renders of everybody else they are talking about.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Lol, I figured! It's pretty unprecedented to have as much info on so many figs before a big potential drop date. I hope we get the good ones. The others can get back in line! (Looking at you, Wolf Spider) :D

• Haha
Reactions: nacho

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Wolf Spider, Shadow Tracker, Helix, any *new* people they feel like incorporating.

I really don't want any new characters at this point. Not that I'm totally opposed to anyone outside of the 82-87 era, but there were a bunch of good-but-underdeveloped characters in the Oughts that deserve more attention, especially in the VvV & DTC era right before 25th started.

The Stall trio (Barrellroll, Bombstrike, & Blackout) should absolutely get made, along with Crosshair, Red Spot, Mirage, Wreckage, Widescope (easy repaint of Shockwave with a dog), Long Range, Major Barrage, Med Alert (like Lifeline, only not a pussy)...

... plus some Cobras like Over Kill, Interrogator, Sand Scorpion, Medi-Viper (or Scalpel, the one *named* medi-viper), and a million other vipers if we feel the need for even more specialized cobra troops.

Why create new ones out of whole cloth when there are good designs/names just hanging out there as near blank canvases? Why give us "Parth Varma"? That sounds like the noise you make when you start to hurl. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: ThunderDan19

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, and these brand new characters feel like they are a combination of possible army builders made from reused parts and diversity builders. The franchise was doing diversity way before it was cool back in the day. There is an absolute library of IP to draw from before needing to add even a single all new character.

It has always happened like that in the comics and cartoon though, so why stop now I guess... Why are creators never satisfied with using their many creations to tell a story and why do they feel the need to introduce new characters when they already have so many unused ones? 🤷‍♂️

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Yeah, but the diversity always made good sense in the context of the characters. We had a Hawaiian guy, and of course, he was water-based. We had a native american, and he was outdoorsy and in-tune with nature. Main black guy was from the mean streets of Detroit. Sure you could call it stereotypical, but in a toy line, that's part of the gig.

3/4 of the white folks were some flavor of stereotype of the part of the country they were from too. Scarlett? Rock-n-Roll? Cross Country? Steeler? Or they were comedy. Alpine's real name is Al Pine. Iceberg's hometown is Brownsville TX... a place I know well and 1) has no black people because mexicans are hella-racist 2) is one of the hottest places on earth and has never seen snow.

The other 25% of the characters were from Rhode Island and based off of hasbro employees. Imagine if the smallest state produced that high a percentage of the military!

I don't know where I'm going with this other than I hope the Indian guy makes sense and isn't just there to say we have one. Make him punny, make him stereotypical, make him part of the joke so he can be like everyone else. If they take him super seriously because "diversity is our strength", I will hate him for sure.

Reactions: Sgt301

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
It's from a Joe parody episode of the sitcom "Community". It was well done and even had a few of the original voice cast (I remember Flint specifically).

If you've never seen the show, it's funny as hell. Just seeing that shot made me think I needed to do a full-series rewatch. Got through the first three eps tonight. Thanks a bunch, VV, like I needed another project ;)

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
If you live near an Ollies and need some cheap fodder:
1695299773247.png
Guess who will be swinging by my local Ollies today... :thumbsup:This guy.

• Love
Reactions: nacho

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA

Community S5 E11 "G.I. Jeff​

Wow, they must have some fans at Hasbro. That's a lot of legit IP to be using for a spoof. Love how they call out how shocking it would be if they ever actually shot (and knocked out) anything with their rifles but the vehicles, or *gasp* killed the enemy. :laugh:

Reactions: Videoviper

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
If you live near an Ollies and need some cheap fodder:
View attachment 16410
Guess who will be swinging by my local Ollies today... :thumbsup:This guy.
Man, I was there a few weeks ago, and all they had was Karoness. I may have to make a run to knoxville at lunch... I have several spare dusty and stalker figures, but there's no such thing as too many. That's the price of a 4" 25th figure 16 years ago...

If their selection is more than two figures, someday we'll be talking about this clearance the way we do the BBi jets in their cheap days or the famous Monkey Depot liquidation.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Well, my trip to Ollies was a compete bust. I saw a ton of Star Wars figs, mostly Black 5" and probably even more Marvel Legends, but not a single Joe CS figure (not even the movie ones). I'm not sure if they just hadn't put them out yet due to their shelves being overloaded with SW and Marvel or if someone came in early and scooped them all (employee or otherwise), though there didn't seem to be any obvious recently vacated shelf or peg space. I was tempted to pick up a teenager Groot, but not for the $10 they wanted. Maybe for $5.

Kind of a bummer, but I have hope that we will see some future clearance of JoeClass figs from WM as they are deeply stacking up now at the ones carrying them it would seem. I saw no less than a half dozen each of RnR and Shipwreck at mine today, plus at least that many Retro Gung Hos along with the usual LJs, Baronesses and even some new Destros hanging out now. You gotta wonder what they have building up in the stockrooms or at the distribution centers now that the supply chain is spitting them out regularly on top of whatever stacked up during the back up.

I'd very likely pick up Shippy for $5 if just for the head for use on a more combat ready body. I'd probably also pick up another RnR just for the extra ammo/box mag for that price. I'd likely skip getting another SS or Dusty. Maybe a Stalker for the LMG though. Anything else I come across would be a game time decision.

I'll probably check back with Ollies when I'm back in town again. Maybe they'll be some stocked by then. They just seem to have a huge glut of other franchise shelf warmers right now at my Ollies. But once the Christmas shopping season kicks off right after Halloween, they'll be sure to make more shelf space available for toys and will bring them out if they still have them by then.

It seems like WM is committed to Joe CS for now at least with having their exclusives. I just hope the late oversupply of the regulars won't cause them to turn against the whole line eventually. This is the problem when they don't get stock in at a reasonable time compared to other retailers, and don't have a decent website to pre-order items from at lower price points than the others - which they could easily have done since their base price is still only $22 for the regular Class figs.

Walmart just doesn't seem capable of out performing Amazon, all the niche online toy stores (even with their higher prices) or even Target for getting the main line stuff up and available before people pre-order and/or buy it elsewhere. Heck, even Game Stop has a better website for pre-ordering JoeClass stuff than WM. I guess Wally's just too big to care about stuff like that... 🤷‍♂️

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
That's a perfect analogy for Ollies. For me, it's usually seeing something I want in their email ad and then getting that (those) if I find it (them), and/or coming home with another cool book on historic or modern weapon systems for my home office library, that I might glance at every couple years or so, but looks great in the shelf with my others.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Grunt and Crimson Viper have updated to expected be delivered on 9/26 and Tunnel Rat has shipped and is also due to arrive on Tuesday.

1695355577957.gif

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Grunt, Low Light, and Tunnel Rat all scheduled for tuesday... gonna be a fun day!

I'm unusually excited to see todays reveals too. They're really hitting a sweet spot for me. Seems like they recognize the importance of getting the O13 out there, while scattering them among a bunch of other peak-era characters and troops, with a few new/random things sprinkled in just for fun. Hard to complain about that... until they go and change the formula.

Even the stuff that isn't a homerun is either close enough I can mod, or it's good custom fodder for some other characters. Rarely do they show anything and my thought is, "Oh, that has zero redeeming value whatsoever."