G.I. Joe Classified Series (1:12)

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Sometimes Pulse ships first and they’ve never cancelled a preorder like Amazon does, but stuff usually hits Target faster than any online order if you prefer to gamble.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Yeah, I found that pulse ships in batches, so if you get your order in quickly, you normally get it before they hit stores. If you wait, you might be several weeks later. Just like with the deluxe Snake-Eyes, early orders have a ship date of 4/1. If you waited 12 hours, you have a ship date of 7/1. Eh.

But like PCS, I have had terrible luck with Amazon cancelling any figure preorders that are more than 60 days out. Their system doesn't like having open orders that long, constantly sends you notifications, asks permission to delay the order, ultimately cancels them.... and then lists them as available to preorder three days later. Burn me half a dozen times, and I'll wait for whatever Pulse batch I get.

I had similar things happen with Walmart, but not on as big a scale. Target... my normal path doesn't take me near one, so it's usually a deliberate trip to be disappointed. And BBTS now charges tax and takes two weeks to ship anything, and then it takes another two to arrive. It doesn't do any good to use them for anything that you care about getting quickly.

I personally have had great luck with Pulse and will use them religiously until my free membership runs out. After that, I'll reassess my options.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
No doubt. I used to be a diehard BBTS customer just because they were the easiest way to buy cases/sets of figures, and 3P TFs. They were never the cheapest, but it beat the hell out of endless hunting. In the last 15 years, I've probably spent 15-20k or more with them. But now, it's only for massive sales, things I can't find elsewhere, and stuff that's for fodder and I don't care how slow it is to arrive.

At this exact moment, I have nothing in my PoL, and I have exactly one thing preordered with them. How the mighty have fallen.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Got them preordered and arranged a spot on my desk with the paints I'll be using to fix them.

blackrazor1

Enlisted
Dec 25, 2013
Marauder has a 2nd series of 1:12 weapons coming.

Action Force also has a set of weapons.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Anyone know if the AF guns work with the ML scale?

The reason I ask is my Little Armory stuff looks like little toys in ML hands.

I worry the GI Joes will have the same problem

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I imagine they will, though I don't expect the Classified series to be scaled smaller in any meaningful way. LA is definitely intended for Japanese 1:12. Damtoys scales better with the Japanese stuff, as well. You can try Crazy Figure (I got their M14, and it is definitely better for Western 1:12), and Mezco, too.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I’ve only been modeling Metal Gear weapons for the last few years so I don’t have anything I can upscale. That stuff will be much better than what’s rolling out but it’s still nothing authentic.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Ah, you're looking for more "G.I. Joe"-like weapons?

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I meant “my” stuff. The Metal Gear franchise went to original gun designs with the MGSV games instead of real world designs. I’ve been modeling a lot of those because I figure Marauder takes care of everything else.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, all that red is a bit much. I think for me, for all the figures, it will foremost come down to whether or not they make it to my local Walmart shelves. If yes, then I'll make the call of: a.) This one will look awesome on my desk shelf and I can't risk missing it! BUY!, b.) This one looks solid, but not for $20. Maybe buy it when it goes on clearance., or c.) Ew. Hard pass.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Now that I finally found the correct thread...

Looks like we’re getting a wave 2:

Gung Ho looks cool.

And this... :rolleyes:

Wave 1 Snake Eyes looks cool:

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
It’s strange that they leaked the “Arctic Stormshadow” with a Joe box before even showing the standard Storm Shadow.
After the initial wave, I’ve lost interest. I think design wise, while I don’t want realistic milsim GIJoe, I don’t like arbitrary design Joes either. It looks like they recreated the original look and every original design element they made is just an arbitrary, non-functioning design element.

I was listening to an interview about how proud they are about Destro and how they made his functional as a protective layer but then they make him have the exposed Magnum PI chest.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I say all of that knowing I never put that much thought into the toys of my childhood and my extreme criticisms of design choices is a balance of the internal fight of holding onto my childhood and wanting things to appeal to the adult in me. A battle which will never be won.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Not to defend hasbro, because they clearly make almost as many bonehead decisions as WTF Mattel. That being said, is the line perfect for nostalgic 40-something man children? No, no it is not. Clearly there is an attempt to appeal to the younger generation too. Is it a better base from which to make your own "ideal" figures than cobbling together Marvel Legends for parts? Yes, yes they are. I accept this and move forward.

I'm just buying them with the intent of making them as ARAH-ish as I like. Lots of paint will be used. I just assembled a Little Armory Ma-Deuce for Roadblock this afternoon. He already looks better. After I cover up all that gold, he'll look great.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I will say, I think hasbro did a good job with size/scale. The Joes are larger than 6" SW Black series figures, who are barely big enough to call 1:12 scale. Yet they are a tad smaller than Marvel Legends because they're civilians that are not over-buff superheroes.

The necks feel a tad long, but the proportions feel more... human than other 6" lines, yet they don't feel puny. Overall, I give them props for the subtle difference for this line. They could have easily copied the exact size/proportions of either of the other lines, but to their credit, they did not.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, I could do with less gold and future tech, but generally they look pretty good. They are certainly good enough to display a couple favorites at work.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Really.. as we've said forever.. they need a vidyagame to sell these characters to kids. A Fortnite-esque game with different Joe characters would probably push a lot of product.

These characters already seem suited for that with the gold and ridiculousness. PDD would be perfect.

The stupid one-color weapons and accessories are a slap in the face especially for the price point. It would take some big improvements for me to even want to get one to sit on my shelf.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I will say, I think hasbro did a good job with size/scale. The Joes are larger than 6" SW Black series figures, who are barely big enough to call 1:12 scale. Yet they are a tad smaller than Marvel Legends because they're civilians that are not over-buff superheroes.

The necks feel a tad long, but the proportions feel more... human than other 6" lines, yet they don't feel puny. Overall, I give them props for the subtle difference for this line. They could have easily copied the exact size/proportions of either of the other lines, but to their credit, they did not.

the scale variance is why I’m hesitant to scale my 3D goods to 1:12. So far,my heads looked good on articulated icons but looked tiny AF on my Netflix Punisher. That’s less of an issue with 4” even though MTF is bulkier than just about everyone

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
After living with Dung Beetle (I shit you not, Duke is in the Wally World system as Dung Beetle) for a while, I think I'm gonna give the line a pass.
6" SW Black series figures, who are barely big enough to call 1:12 scale.
Probably closer to true 1:12 than practically anything else on the pegs here. We don't really do 1:12, we do a vague 6" scale, where a 5'8" IRL female wrestler stands as tall as Duke, and who are both taller than the figure of 6'2" IRL Bill Murray.

Reactions: NSA

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
After living with Dung Beetle (I shit you not, Duke is in the Wally World system as Dung Beetle) for a while, I think I'm gonna give the line a pass.

Probably closer to true 1:12 than practically anything else on the pegs here. We don't really do 1:12, we do a vague 6" scale, where a 5'8" IRL female wrestler stands as tall as Duke, and who are both taller than the figure of 6'2" IRL Bill Murray.
I bought all of wave 1 and returned everything except SE and Scarlett. Sure I’ll pick up a blueshirt or two for them to fight, but this line is not for me.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
1:12 or 6" just never appealed to me. Not sure why. Some of the figures looked nice enough, but just not something I've ever wanted or needed. I like my 3 3/4 and 4 inch figures. I never cared for 12" either, even though some of them look really sexy nice.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I'm loving the line. Sure, they went nuts with the futuristic shin guards (it's going to get annoying to have to cut them off and mold laces onto a bunch of figures), but overall, they're fantastic. The new trooper is an astounding figure. I have overpaid for several, and I don't feel bad about it.