G.I. Joe in 2015

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
I don't have the magazine, so I can't verify, but apparently Mark Weber has taken over GI Joe (previously worked on Transformers and helped bring about Generations and Construct Bots). He had some big things to say about gearing things towards collectors like making army builders easier to get, and that 2015's lineup should be similar to the 50th line with popular characters and vehicles, and some "New surprises".

I couldn't find another source, make of this what you will:

Meet The New G.I. Joe 2015 Brand Manager Mark Weber - GI Joe News

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
They really need to just release the majority of the Concept Case figures (the majority of which are new heads or one or two new parts on existing molds) and do a few redos that are sorely needed in the vein of Gung-Ho. Poor 25th Roadblock needs an update (Retaliation torso plus a new head and webgear) to go with that GH (and Scarlett, too) and a new Duke and Hawk wouldn't hurt. Those first 25th 5-packs from 2007 look horrid today, and the Joe's "top brass" really needs a redo to match the Cobra High Command that got pretty decent overhauls in the last couple of years. (CC, Destro, Storm Shadow, SDCC Baroness, Firefly.)

A Serpentor ain't at the top of my list, but an updated Serpentor, Mindbender, and tweaked Xamot/Tomax (new heads?) and Zartan couldn't hurt. Major Bludd never really got a great figure, either. Hell, a fixed Scrap-Iron wouldn't hurt, and then they'd have all-new high command that looked great leading the POC Vipers and Blueshirt infantry.

Strange that they're even still trying, but I'll try and be optimistic about it for once.

Last edited:

Goldbug

BND
Mar 15, 2011
Smallville, IL
goldbug.yolasite.com
Last edited:

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
I'm not really sure what they mean by enabling and simplifying army builders for collectors. It's a smart move, but still kind of vague. Are half the cases showing up at Toys R Us in the future going to consist of army buildable figures? How would they do that without squeezing out the supposed emphasis on producing popular characters/vehicles while also adding new characters and vehicles while also appealing to both collectors and adults at the same time? I don't think it's necessarily impossible but this sounds like they're making some broad promises here by stating a plethora of broad goals for this year's line-up, and judging from the lowered standard with quality control in the past few years, I'm not sure how they're going to fulfill these goals. Is G.I. Joe finally going to be sold at more than two retailers again? Or is it still stuck at Toys R Us and Dollar General? Will they be making efforts to compete next Christmas with other military toy brands like Soldier Force and Power Team elite, or will this simply be more of the same? How are they going to solve the issue of "lost waves"? They would need to do something about these issues to achieve a lot of these goals.

Here's what I think they should really be focusing on doing. There are two basic things they need to do. First, they need to devise and implement a proper marketing strategy/campaign to promote the brand amongst kids and their parents. This inherently involves embracing the military aspect of G.I. Joe while also keeping it unique amongst the other military toy brands. In other words, less cyber ninjas and Master Cheif look-a-likes, and more soldiers. They also need to advertise the products! How many toys commercials aired for Pursuit of Cobra, the 30th Anniversary, and the Retaliation toy lines? None! Second, they need to create a consistent toy-line that doesn't have too many figures and too many waves. Pursuit of Cobra, 30th anniversary, and Retaliation all suffered from too much fluff, each worst then the last. POC was a strong line because its theme and aesthetic remained consistent until the final wave. However, POC was cursed with Arctic Destro, action gimmick ninjas, and having a hyper-inflated final wave that came and went faster then could be reasonably purchased. 30th Anniversary was like a melting pot of toy-lines. Like POC it started off with both new characters, and contemporary reimaginings of classic characters. Then Renegades hit. For whatever reason, Hasbro decided to release figures for the TV show that they already cancelled. Between doing modern updates, compound Z, Renegades, and classic styled characters like Sci-Fi, Life-Line, and Air-Tight, there was no consistent theme nor a consistent aesthetic. Once again, the final wave squeezed in way too many figures, and came and went like a mysterious ninja. Retaliation was probably the worst. It opened up with entire waves of figures that were almost entirely unrelated to the film. Entire waves were dedicated to inaccuracy and ripping off other franchises, like Halo (Joe Trooper) and Tron (Cyber Ninja). Why they would want to rip off Tron, a failure of a movie with a disastrous toy-line is confusing. Most of the figures that were dedicated to film accuracy were squeezed into a final wave with a bunch of figures that had no business being in the Retaliation line to begin with. "Ultimate" Cobra Commander, Storm-Shadow, Night-Viper, Crimson Guardsmen, Kwinn, and Invasion 3-pack Firefly should never had been in that line at all and instead saved for the 50th Anniversary, which is clearly meant to be (for the most part) a line dedicated to representing the classic character designs with contemporary construction. Instead, Hasbro needs to simply keep things simple.

Hasbro needs to stop smashing every idea, character, and universe together into the same lines and action figure waves. It's not working. It has harmed the brand. It causes poor retail performance, frustrates collectors, and perpetuates disinterest amongst kids. If Hasbro feels the need to have multiple G.I. Joe toy lines to be produced and sold simultaneously, then it needs to make them separate. Star Wars, Marvel, and Transformers, (and arguably with the addition of Dollar General exclusive figures G.I. Joe) already do this. A Joe toy line designed and marketed for a broader audience (collectors and kids alike) needs to have a consistent theme, aesthetic, and universe/time-line. The movie line is the best way to do this. Several characters who did not appear in the movie should not be in this line. It can still have army buildable figures so long as they are based on the mooks in the film, especially if they're Cobra. Rise of Cobra tried this with several old and new characters alike (some of them were really good like Agent Helix), but the anti realistic military aesthetic made many of them look like rejected Mass Effect characters while also making too many figures and too many waves, although that may not have been a bad problem. Mole Pods and unappealing vehicles plagued the line, thus establishing the recent trend of having almost no vehicles in newer Joe lines.

A line that simply aims to appeal to nostalgia by recreating classic character designs with new construction needs to remain a Toys R Us exclusive, or at the very least it's own toy line, in separate boxes with separate titles. The waves of both lines need to have moderate variety, not too few (below four figures) or too many (above eight). There should be no more than three waves.

I have reservations about Weber's ability to revitalize the brand, but the change in brand managers does show that the company has some interest in ensuring the longevity of the brand, and that's the most G.I. Joe has really got in the past few years outside of a couple mediocre films that don't really capture or visualize the spirit (or what everyone loves) of/about the brand.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Concept Case Gung-Ho or get the fuck out.

Someone at HT mockingly asked what this guy did to get demoted, and I admit I had to chuckle.

Because in a way it's true.

Anyway, if it's like the 50th half the figures will be rehash bullshit no one wants. Guess we'll find out in 6 weeks or so. I'd prepare for disappointment, either outright or down the road when they end-load all the good figures in a wave that never makes it to retail.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
"Enabling troop builders"

So this guy takes over and instantly realizes his clientele have serious addiction issues.

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
I think they did a pretty decent job with the HTS pre - orders a couple years ago where they didn't' put a low limit on figs was a step in the right direction for army buiilding. While I kinda like the idea of having viper sets, I would rather see the single figs available for ordering.

Cautiously optimistic at this point.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
It's not going to matter. They are are going to be shit quality with even shittier paint apps.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
With even sh!ttier articulation. *looks at new MI figures*

There are Michigan action figures? We don't have these down south. Tell us more, Eddie!

Wave 1
1) Detroit meter man from "Parking Wars", codename "Ponytail"
2) Laid-off UAW union guy from Dearborn, codename "Bitterman" (Army Builder!)
3) Self-Obsessed football coach from Ann Arbor, codename "Hairball"
4) City Inhabitant, two heads included to make either "G-Thug" or "Shopping Cart Keyshawn"
5) Secretly gay action figure collector with a hot beard, codename "GI Freddie"

Goldbug

BND
Mar 15, 2011
Smallville, IL
goldbug.yolasite.com
I'm not really sure what they mean by enabling and simplifying army builders for collectors. It's a smart move, but still kind of vague. Are half the cases showing up at Toys R Us in the future going to consist of army buildable figures? How would they do that without squeezing out the supposed emphasis on producing popular characters/vehicles while also adding new characters and vehicles while also appealing to both collectors and adults at the same time?

How about not putting army builders in a 2 pack with named characters aka HEAT Viper vs Blowtorch?

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
That would be a start. To bad the Heat Vipers would still have poorly painted purple stripes.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
That would be a start. To bad the Heat Vipers would still have poorly painted purple stripes.

I was able to fix my with a 00 brush (I think that was the size?) and a purple from Citadel that matched perfectly. I know we shouldn't have to fix their fuckups, just offering it out there if it was really bothering you.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Thanks, I'll look for that stuff if I ever get a heat-viper.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
I say include single packed troop builders in waves, but make 2 or 3 packs available online.

Give different major retailers/online store different product.

Get some media support & get 10 year olds talking about Joe not 40 somethings.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Well, Hasbro just confirmed it, not a fucking thing about Joe at TF. Looks like we can wait to be let down until JoeCon in April.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Nope. I guess all I've got to look forward to at TF is what Mattel is going to do with 4" DCMU.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Just when they were going in the right direction. Or maybe it's Hasbro's turn to be the colossal fuck-up?

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Their track record shows just that. As soon as they get Joe going in a proper direction, they f#%& it all up with some kind of lame restart... repeatedly...