G.I. Joe News - 2012!

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Cause he's awesome. And he comes with a ton of weapons.

He's probably the best Storm Shadow yet, and I'm so sick of Storm Shadows that it's not even funny. In fact, I only opened the two 5-pack 25th Storm Shadows (the first 5-pack and the second set of "Sunbow" deco figures) and really, the only reason I opened the second was because I had to open it to get that Baroness and Viper. The HOH one is probably the only other "definitive" one prior to the Renegades version, but once they released that awesome SE earlier in POC, they about had to come up with a Storm Shadow that rivaled him.

That's what Renegades SS is.

And I'm sick of Storm Shadow. There really doesn't need to be another. Ever.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Yup, I would agree with Rex. The HoH stormshadow still remains my favorite because he is more accurate to Sunbow, but thats not to mean I dont think new one is an awesome version. If I had 2 Renegades ones I probably would see what the ren version would look like sleeveless.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Yeah, Renegades Storm Shadow is an awesome figure, unless you don't like ninjas. The detail in the sculpt is excellent and the accessories abound. I still wouldn't mind an ARAH accurate Storm Shadow with a sculpt to rival the Renegades version, but I'm not going to be disappointed if the don't either.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
You know what Ren SS needs?

A Franco Nero headsculpt!

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
And the other side of that equation is the distribution problem. He was packed one/case in a wave that many people haven't seen at retail.

It's just like Money Bags Destro: great figure, awesome accessories, minimal retail presence.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
They really can't seem to over-produce any good or desirable figures, really. Besides maybe Jungle Viper. I don't think it's anything planned like chase figures, I just think it's sheer incompetence on their part in not having any clue as to what will sell.

Jungle Viper is the ONLY figure that I thought would do well that didn't at retail, and even then, those sold. Buzzer was an okay figure, but he sat around for damned ever. I'm usually pretty good at identifying the shitty shelfwarmers the second I see pics of them. The worst ones though were the repacked "comic-accurate" Ripper and Torch in those awful colors, all the damned Storm Shadows and that fucking Arctic Destro. Had they produced more of those stupid Blowtorch and Croc Master repaints, those would've been fucking all over the shelves for months on end. Unfortunately, that wave was way underproduced, but at least we didn't get stuck with all those. I would've actually bought both repaints, but the dumb fucks couldn't even get that right and now they're vaporware.

I still have yet to understand how folks at Hasbro can't gauge what will rot on shelves and what won't. Every wave 1-2 is overproduced (be it movie, 2-packs, vehicles, etc.) and then the rest of them either don't see store shelves at all, or are so underproduced that they may as well not reach it to market.

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
To give Hasbro a small break, every single Joe forum is full of bitching about there being too many Destros and Storm Shadows warming the shelf. I can kind of see why Hasbro was reluctant to release a lot of Money Bags and Ren SS.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
They really should bee weeding these out in the design process.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
The stupidity lies not so much in the fact that it's a Destro or Storm Shadow or Cobra Commander or Snake Eyes or Duke, it's in not knowing which ones will be hot items and which ones will tank.

How is that so hard to tell? There are literally a half dozen or more GI Joe fan sites, and with a line geared towards collectors, there's no better way to gauge the pulse of a fan line than by simply browsing the posts there. You couldn't ask for better feedback on your core market. (Not talking kids or film-based toy lines, but collector lines like 25th, 30th, or POC.)

When it's a collector line, spend money wisely by making a "ultimate" Storm Shadow just like the Snake Eyes from POC, and produce enough of them. Or an updated V2 Storm Shadow, one that they sort of missed badly in the 25th line. Or a cool, reinvented take like Resolute Snake Eyes. Or with Destro, redo the original 25th one (which was missing a knee joint, had weird hands that held fuck-all, and a body design that wasn't that accurate to the original toy or cartoon) or do a badass updated one with cool accessories, something similar to the Moneybags Destro. Don't give some shitty, environment-specific design that's ass ugly and comes with some weird gimmick with oddly designed parts. I knew the second I saw "Arabian Storm Shadow" and "Arctic Destro" that they'd pegwarm hard, and sure enough, they did.

Last edited:

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Here's something I haven't seen addressed elsewhere (although admittedly I haven't looked all that far) - have we actually seen everything we're getting? Much of what we've seen in later waves consists of only one or two figures - I'm wondering if those waves will be mostly repacks of older figures or if we're going to have some figures shown at Joe Con or somewhere else to bulk out those waves.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I imagine JoeCon for the "Night-Viper, Kwinn, etc" type figures, and maybe a few more fan-targeted surprises, and more film-tied showings at SDCC. Last year they showed fuckall new at SDCC, but with a movie in full-gear, they'd be stupid to show up with no new reveals, especially without any movieverse merch.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Nah, there's at least a Cobra Trooper we haven't seen yet (I assume it's a movie accurate one unlike the w.1 baby blue one).

I believe the "2 figure" waves are actual waves that will contain at least a fair amount of repacking, with a couple of as-yet unseen figures. Cases consisting of only two figures is assinine.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
Wave 2 seems to be the first actual 'movie' wave. Wave 1 looks more like a concept wave than anything else really. Anything after W2 looks to be more movie based at least.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Carded pics of Firefly have surfaced. The heads (with and without balaclava) are awesome, but he's got weird fucking transparent forearms and a stupid street luge!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, I think his street luge lights up or some crazy shit.

I have christened him "Radioactive Extreme Sports Street Luge" Firefly. Someone over at Mattel must have gotten hired on at Hasbro.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
We go from really awesome PoC figures right down to this... No wonder I've lost interest. Why is it that every time H'bro finally seems to put out something relatively good, they instantly feel the need to go find a pooch to screw???

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It looks like we're entering the 1990s of the ME Joe era.

Action features on the figures? Check!
BADL® (Patent Pending) that are even BIGGER than the ones from the '90s? Check!
More ninjas than a Michael Dudikoff fim? Check!

We just need to add some neon, a little space warfare and some holier-than-thou environmental propaganda and it'll be like 1993 all over again.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
The thing I've noticed with Hasbro is, they're given reference pictures and they just go to the extreme with the coloring.

In the movie, Firefly's jacket is green. It's a very dark green, close to black, but still green. Where the fuck Hasbro got this bright ass shit from...no clue.

I'll get the figure. I can use the head for a Punisher custom.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The heads are great. Legs might be useful if not for what appears to be the dread single knee.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
At least they're including the batteries. Hadn't noticed it before.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
I hadn't noticed the glowy arms before...but man...they don't even give him a gun!?

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Heh, somehow I totally overlooked street luge in the earlier post... So I'm guessing there's an "I'm on a luge" scene in the movie then? Who needs a gun when you got a huge luge? Oy vey...

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
There may be a gun tucked away in there. On the other hand the chances are good that it would go in the weapon bag never to be used anyhow.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
There may be a gun tucked away in there. On the other hand the chances are good that it would go in the weapon bag never to be used anyhow.

In the pic from some convention last year (NYCC?) it shows him with at least one pistol in a holster. He may have a second as well.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Are they the same Firefly? I don't recall.

I can't imagine we only get one FF from this line.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
They're the same. They showed the luge thing with him....but not the glowy arms.