How much are you guys pay for a Hind kit ?

How Much Are You Willing To Pay for a Hind ?

• $150-$250

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • $250 $350

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • $350-$550

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • $ 550----price does not matter.

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
OK guys the Hind is my favorite helo and as far as I am concerned the holy grail when it come to helos.

How much would you guys be willing to pay ?

My guess would be about $550 for a FULL new kit.

This is a big bird with big parts.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Depends on the extras. IR exhaust suppressors and a GSh-30K option would help, but multiple parts options would be almost required to get me to pay that much.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
The first option...and hardly that...I don't need a hind all that badly...pretty bird yes, but it's no Hog...that's what I really wanna see

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011
I'd pay a decent price and offer you all as slaves to Yog-sothoth for a Hind.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Depends on which Hind we're talking about. Early model or later model? To be honest, I've had my fill of Apaches, Cobras, and Blackhawks. I want something for the enemy.

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
I'd be interested, but it would need to be on the lower end of the prices being presented.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
If we're talking 1:18 scale, $550 is damn cheap. If you find a model online that's half the size, you're basically in the $350 range (I actually was looking into it about a year ago).

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
I believe the question was what would you pay, not what is it worth?

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
YT's on it. It's not a question of quality or craftsmanship or fair market value. It's a question of "Would I spend $500 on a 1:18 toy of any kind?"... and I think that answer is no, regardless of which aircraft, quality, detail, etc.

Now you may be right that there is a market for it "out there". I don't know. But I think my limit for any bird would be in the ~$250 range, i.e. somewhere in the spotcat neighborhood. But that's just me. Maybe I'm just not running in the big-spender circles.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Can you imagine the deafening silence that would proceed after dropping your freshly completed, 500 dollar Hind model kit?

Drop your Bbi OH-58D? "Oh, shit." *pick it up and put the parts back on*

Drop your resin Hind?

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
YT's on it. It's not a question of quality or craftsmanship or fair market value. It's a question of "Would I spend $500 on a 1:18 toy of any kind?"... and I think that answer is no, regardless of which aircraft, quality, detail, etc.

Now you may be right that there is a market for it "out there". I don't know. But I think my limit for any bird would be in the ~$250 range, i.e. somewhere in the spotcat neighborhood. But that's just me. Maybe I'm just not running in the big-spender circles.

No need for everyone to get dickish. I'm not calling anyone cheap. I just provided a comparison based on what is currently attainable at half the size.

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
Can you imagine the deafening silence that would proceed after dropping your freshly completed, 500 dollar Hind model kit?

Drop your Bbi OH-58D? "Oh, shit." *pick it up and put the parts back on*

Drop your resin Hind?

Ha Ha I was just thinking the same thing! Talk about a shitload of suck.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
No need for everyone to get dickish. I'm not calling anyone cheap. I just provided a comparison based on what is currently attainable at half the size.

I wasn't being dickish. There was no tone or sarcasm, just stating that there very well might be big spenders out there willing to shell out that kind of dough for a 1:18th bird, but that I was merely not among them. Don't get your panties in a twist.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Unfortunately the Hind would be a huge project.

Huge = $$$$$

The resin alone would be about $100 a unit. ( that is just a guess )

The RTV for the Horten project was about $1,400.

My guess the RTV for the Hind would be about twice that. Possibly the 2 biggest moulds that I have made to date. ( for both halves of the fusalage )Then those long rotor blades.

It would be sweet if some of the big guys ( BBI ) would make the Hind but I am pretty sure that will not happen.

It is just to big and the average collector would want the Pavies and Hueys.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
There might well be a market for it, but the toy community is probably not the right target. I'd go out on a limb and say most toy collectors would balk at the "Huge = $$$$$".

But you're more in tune with some in the high-end model community that GB mentioned, so they might have a totally different take. They might jump at it. Those of us who have to talk ourselves into paying BBI prices... not so much.

But a mass market version at a lower price point would likely be a popular item around here.

thelegoguy

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2011
I don't think I could drop anything over about $250 for a 1:18 Hind. Probably not in your range Pickel. Sorry

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I love most anything modern, but, like Eddie said, it's not the holy grail (A-10 Warthog), so I couldn't pay more than the going BBI helo rate of $200 for it. I'm sure it would be awesome and I'd love to have it, but I couldn't justify the high cost.

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011
thingsatwistedewokwouldsay.blogspot.com
2-3 years ago I would anal rape a baboon to be able to buy one at any given price. In today's world, I doubt I could bring myself to buy one.

even if BBi made it at a $150 price point, it would take me a month of "fiscal cliff" debating to decide to buy it.

No offense to you Pickle, you make outstanding stuff!

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah, I'm 'saying' I'd pay between $250-$350, but in reality I don't even know anymore.

It's a lot harder to throw money at plastic toys these days with everything going on.

It would be really sweet though, I'd probably sell off other stuff to pay for it, same goes for an A-10.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I think the main reason an A-10 isn't my holy grail is because it's the length of the Hind, but it's width is a little more than it's length.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, I'm 'saying' I'd pay between $250-$350, but in reality I don't even know anymore.

It's a lot harder to throw money at plastic toys these days with everything going on.

It would be really sweet though, I'd probably sell off other stuff to pay for it, same goes for an A-10.

Being rotary wing-fixated, a Hind is perhaps second only to a Ka-50 on the grail standings, but it's not even a ready-to-go "toy". It's gonna be a massive model kit. IF I managed to complete the underetaking, then what? I would certainly be highly unlikely to want to move it about after I got it strung up because there ain't no way in hell for me to display it on a shelf.

Bbi really should just announce they're going forward with production with their Hind, that it's gonna cost 250-275 so we can get the griping, grinding of teeth and screaming while secretly understanding it's the new reality out of the way, and just be done with it already.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I might go one scale down, but I'm not open to Joe scalification. Yay for fake words!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
That's about the long in short of it. The re-election of Dear Leader means the economy is gonna be shit for at least 4 more years. Bbi is gonna fuck around until they can't release it for less than 500 bucks, and then well they really will only have a handful of takers.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
As I stated before I would love to buy one off of the shelf. But that will never happen.

I have had an on going thread on Small Scale about the possibility of getting a R/C fiberglass shell and modifying that up to 1/18th scale and making a mod kit for that.

http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28782

The fiberglass shell sells for $80 and is under scale at about 1/19th scale.

So by acquiring the fiberglass shell the collector could modifying the shell and I could make the mod kit for about $200-$250 ( guessing )

It does not have a lot of detail but it something I/ we can work with.

Here is a pic of the shell and a couple of pics of the Hind to show it's size.

Last edited:

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
To tell you the truth I do not know a lot about the Hind but if I had my choice I would want to build the more streamlined version. I do think it is the older but the canopy would be much easier to replicate.

The double bubble would be a lot more work.

I think that I could change the R/C to the streamlined with no problem but the body version I do not know if they are the same between the versions.

But the general consensus will dictate which one I will / would build.

Would you guys prefer the ( older ) streamlined or (newer) double bubble ?

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'm probably the only one that would be happy with the greenhouse A model.