Ideas for multiple small joints?

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
The plan - I planned on taking Obi Shinobis' advice and use 4mm Revoltech joints to add articulation to some figures.

The problem - 4mm Revoltech joints are harder to find than hens teeth! There are multiple lots on eBay for random Revoltech joints, but there's no way to tell how many of which size I'll end up with, and there might not be any I can use once I get them!

Solution - Find a figure that has lots of small joints and is relatively cheap.
I don't think LEGO type joints will work, so that's probably out.
One idea I had was to get one of those Toybiz Lord of the Rings Shelob spiders, but I don't know how many of her joints will work (pictures and/or description if you have one!).

So, I'm looking for suggestions that fall along these lines.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
I use MegaBloks arms for a lot of small ball joints, but they're likely too small for 18th limb joints. I've been using them mostly for adding ponytail artic and stuff like Predator-style shoulder cannons. I also use them useless PlayMates Star Drek figures for their injection joints. They're hugely useful for giving figures look-up neck hinges, imho.

But if I'm up-articulating a shit-ticulated figure I usually find an apprpriate donor figure on a case-by-case basis.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The plan - I planned on taking Obi Shinobis' advice and use 4mm Revoltech joints to add articulation to some figures.

The problem - 4mm Revoltech joints are harder to find than hens teeth! There are multiple lots on eBay for random Revoltech joints, but there's no way to tell how many of which size I'll end up with, and there might not be any I can use once I get them!

Solution - Find a figure that has lots of small joints and is relatively cheap.
I don't think type joints will work, so that's probably out.
One idea I had was to get one of those Toybiz Lord of the Rings Shelob spiders, but I don't know how many of her joints will work (pictures and/or description if you have one!).

So, I'm looking for suggestions that fall along these lines.

Actually, LEGO ball joints would probably work fine for larger joints. You might also try Hobby Base joints. Link for information purposes only.

Hobby Base PPC TN05G Ultimate Joint Series PC Double Ball Joint Set M Gray | eBay

Could always use a Dremel and straight pins, too.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Cheap Microman figs?

:lmao: Oh Eddie, there is no such thing anymore.

Believe me, I wish there were. I'm a Microman/Micronaut collector.

And what I was wanting to do was give my Hot Toys snap kit Aliens better artic.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
For something as spindly as the SnapKit Xenos, MegaBloks shoulders and elbow are pretty much perfect for the job, imho. If you've not gotten any yet, you should be able to get a newstyle single-baggie Halo Spartan for $3 anywhere. You can Google up the stamped code on the back of the bag to tell who's in what bag (not the barcode, the imprinted one).

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Yeah... good luck with that, DSB. Revoltech joints were/are some of the best ones, but very hard to find any more. Fortunately for me... I still have quite a few bags of them. Maybe one day, I'll get back to customizing and use them.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
:lmao: Oh Eddie, there is no such thing anymore.

Believe me, I wish there were. I'm a Microman/Micronaut collector.

And what I was wanting to do was give my Hot Toys snap kit Aliens better artic.

I WAS JUST TRYING TO HELP!! :crying:

:D I have a couple of them and didin't realize the had gotten so pricey. :headinsand:

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
For something as spindly as the SnapKit Xenos, MegaBloks shoulders and elbow are pretty much perfect for the job, imho. If you've not gotten any yet, you should be able to get a newstyle single-baggie Halo Spartan for $3 anywhere. You can Google up the stamped code on the back of the bag to tell who's in what bag (not the barcode, the imprinted one).

Sounds like this may be my best bet...so I can get four joints out of one HALO Megabloks figure?

Yeah... good luck with that, DSB. Revoltech joints were/are some of the best ones, but very hard to find any more. Fortunately for me... I still have quite a few bags of them. Maybe one day, I'll get back to customizing and use them.

Yeah, I should have jumped on them when you first suggested them, I think 4mm was still available at that point. :(

I WAS JUST TRYING TO HELP!! :crying:

:D I have a couple of them and didin't realize the had gotten so pricey. :headinsand:

Just funin' ya. But yeah, the prices of most of them have steadily crept up.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
Sounds like this may be my best bet...so I can get four joints out of one HALO Megabloks figure?

Choose from the Assassin's Creed, Halo (if you get a newstyle Spartan, Marine, or Elite), and CoD lines, or the TMNT movie figures. They all have swivel/hinge shoulders and elbows. If you include the necks and hips, they have three additional pop'em balls. The TMNT Classics have swivel/hinge hips and knees as well.

You should be able to find Halo blind baggies basically everywhere, either the older Charlie series or newer Deltas.

Charlie baggie codes: CODE NUMBER LIST: Halo Mega Bloks Charlie Series Figures! - Halo Toy News

Delta baggie codes: CODE NUMBER LIST: Halo Mega Bloks Delta Series Figures! - Halo Toy News

The new Promethean troopers also have the 'standard' good artic, but lack a waist swivel (although it can easily be cut across the waistline).

I'm 18th until I die, but I *adore* these MB figures and they're easily the best bang for your buck in retail action figures these days. I don't use any of them as 'them', but use them as bucks for funny-animal customs as part of the Rocket Raccoon part of my 'verse. I expect the TMNT stuff to be very popular in my house this coming year.

I dunno WTF I'll be doing once the Trek stuff starts reaching retail, but I'm sure I'll get all of it.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Depends. What do you need to do with it? Do you need a larger/smaller peg? If you need a larger one, get some styrene tube the sze you need and glue it over the peg thats attached to the ball.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
Without pics, that's impossible to answer. But in general, the area right where the stem flares out to become the ball is the weakest point, and it'll only get weaker with surgery.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
Having both Snap Kits and MBs, I'd go that route. Cut up an MB figure's torso and arms to get four li'l tupes with the swivel/hinge ball joint in the middle, then drill out the joints on the Xeno you want to replace. MB balls would work best for shoulders, elbows, and knees, imho.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
For visual comparison: