JOE 2 the movie

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
But I think campy can be done well. I don't want The Dark Knight out of GI Joe, but something more akin to the Marvel filmverse... Captain America and Thor were both cheesy as fuck, but I enjoyed them. They weren't as "grounded" as say, NortonHulk or Iron Man, but they had a LOT of fantastical elements that were simply ridiculous, but they still worked in the vein of the story and the larger Marvel Universe.

Actually, Captain America is about the right level of ridiculous and army-man. Literally, Hydra is Cobra and Captain America is all the Joes, sans the super strength.

One film series I kind of want to see done more "epic" is Masters of the Universe. I think something like that could be done badass, like a slightly more comic-booky LOTR or 300. It'll likely end up no better than "Clash/Wrath of the Titans" or even worse, but it's what I'd like to see out of it. Now, something like Thundercats? That'd be way too silly for a feature film, I think. As much as I loved it growing up.

Of course, Transformers seemed like something badass that you couldn't fuck up, but here Michael Bay is, 3.5 movies in, and still going strong.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
But we're talking ARAH. If we went back and tried to make Joe in the vein of pre-1969, then the enemies aren't going to be Nazi wannabe blue pajama terrorists.

News flash, I don't want a bunch of bumbling fuck-ups in blue. :D

If you do there's 12 years of figures to camp it the fuck up with. Why does G.I. Joe have to perpetually do things for people who were kids 30 years ago?

Last edited:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone

If you do there's 12 years of figures to camp it the fuck up with. Why does G.I. Joe have to perpetually do things for people who were kids 30 years ago?

Well, looking at current toy aisles, you have properties such as LEGO, Hot Wheels, Power Rangers, Marvel, DC, TMNT, Star Wars, and Transformers, all which perpetually do things for people who were kids 30 years ago. So that formula seems to at least partially work with the right property.

I'm sure in 30 years we'll be seeing more Pokemon, Ben 10 and Bakugan shit rehashed for those kids' kids, if action figures don't die out altogether in the next 3-4 decades.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Power Rangers changes/d every 18 months or so, thus keeping up with its ever-changin group of kids.

Transformers are much like dinosaurs, in that robots that turn into vehicles will always be a hit with chilrins.

Little diecast cars are much like Transformers, and have been a staple of kids toys since before the action figure came on the scene.

TMNT stays pretty much the same, only with design changes. I would note that none of the reincarnations has lasted as long as the original run. This one will likely last a few years, then the property will go underground again, much like pop music flavors of the month.

Comic book properties and Star Wars are those timeless deals.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
... And Army men mixed with Sci Fi aren't? GI Joe has been reincarnated just as many times as TF, and with the comes-n-goes frequency too. Not arguing with you, just don't see how Joe is unlike those others in those regards.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011

I don't like the campiness all that much which is why I feel like I'm being dragged to the movie tomorrow. But at the same time, if they did a realistic GI Joe movie with ARAH code names, I'd like it less.

Think of it like the movie Titanic. There are hundreds of real life stories aboard that ship, why make up a fake one?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I guess you're right in that regard.

Maybe I'm just sick, on a personel level, of the collector's community's insistence on everything being just like ARAH, exactly like Larry Hama wrote it.

Maybe I'm not a Joe fan at all. Maybe I just want cool figures like wave 3 Rock Block and the Shock Trooper. Maybe I'm the opposite extreme to the ARAHFag, which may be just as bad for the property as they are.

Think of it like the movie Titanic. There are hundreds of real life stories aboard that ship, why make up a fake one?

It's a fair enough question. In that vein, though, I think the real-life stories of combat veterans are infintely more interesting than another Joe story with Snake Eyes inflitrating a Cobra base, killing an entire platoon single-handely and then destroying the big, bad sci-fi wunderwaffe they have hidden there.

Last edited:

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Maybe I'm just sick, on a personel level, of the collector's community's insistence on everything being just like ARAH, exactly like Larry Hama wrote it.

Maybe I'm not a Joe fan at all. Maybe I just want cool figures like wave 3 Rock Block and the Shock Trooper. Maybe I'm the opposite extreme to the ARAHFag, which may be just as bad for the property as they are.

As much as love the Hama run, I'm ready to move on too. The only way I really want ARAH interpretations at this point is if they're on the level of Footloose or Kwinn.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I think the brand changes as the country changes.. War and guns are in a weird place right now. Politically they are bad, but media wise they're more popular than ever with movies and video games etc.

I can see it being a weird place for a company like Hasbro.. do they NOT make the toys due to the rhetoric being spewed on cable news, or do they go with the consumer base which is snapping up Call of Dooties and Battleplains left and right?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I just wish Bbi would bite the t-bar and some other features for their figures. Then I'd happily tell Hasbro to make all the fucking '82 OG13 or neon green Sci-Fis the collectors can stand.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, they had the t-bar and the swivel wrists part. The accessories are kind of a let-down.

That and the single headsculpt. :(

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I think because the 1/18 BBI and Unimax figs were designed by people growing up loving the 12" military lines that they don't have an inkling about what goes on inside a Joe lover's head. Maybe they don't want to know.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah, they had the t-bar and the swivel wrists part. The accessories are kind of a let-down.

That and the single headsculpt. :(

Hey! They had a black guy too.. but yeah I guess it was the same sculpt. At least you could use aftermarket heads easily.

Weapons are not a huge deal, we have plenty of those.

I think because the 1/18 BBI and Unimax figs were designed by people growing up loving the 12" military lines that they don't have an inkling about what goes on inside a Joe lover's head. Maybe they don't want to know.

And now it's up to us to merge those forces.. like some sort of military scale Voltron!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Then how about the fact they're all in ACUs?!

I'd kill everyone on HT for a Teika or Bbi Vietnam line....

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
And now it's up to us to merge those forces.. like some sort of military scale Voltron!

I've been staring at my Megamillions ticket a lot the last couple of days. This is basically what I've been thinking about.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Well, I figured an $8 matinee in 2D by myself was smarter than wasting $30 on the weekend when it's crowded as hell, for 2 3D tickets...

So here we go! I'll let you guys know how bad it is.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Just buy up the lots of 21st Vietnam figures on eBay and get to modding!

I would like a true "Cold war" line, with 60's-90's GI's and Russians.

It isn't so much the figures in the case of Bbi as it is the accessories. Teika arguably would do better base figures.

21st has a few usable parts (pouches and helmets), but other stuff doesn't work.

And I h8s the ePays!

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
...aaaand I'm glad I went to the $8 matinee. :(

While this one looked more of the part of GI Joe, it was just stillborn, if you ask me. It at least felt more military, but the things wrong with it weren't all carry-overs from ROC. And the 9 month delay was sure as shit not worth the way (specifically because I saw it in 2D, and NEVER intended to see it in 3D regardless). SPOILERS BELOW!

I actually liked the Cobra plot again (that was the main thing I liked in ROC, was the "sleight of hand" President-swapping plot, plus Zartan's update), with the whole "tricking the world's leaders into disarming their nukes" plot, and Zartan was still the shining character, even if Voosloo has like 35 seconds of actual screentime. When he "dies" (I still think he's not dead... He was injected with magic-healing nanomites after all) his face sort of leaves black/blue scarring around his eyes that resemble his markings from the ARAH run. A nice nod. I liked Firefly, since he was the only character that had much development on Cobra's side, and he felt like a cool update. Rock was decent, but he was just The Rock, and not Roadblock. Same with Bruce Willis, except he phoned it in, even with his few "John McClane" smarmy smirks and whatnot that saved him from being a total waste.

What were some of the things that were carry-overs from ROC that Chu was stuck with? Well, for starters CC's shitty origin and design, which got brushed over so quickly. So it was at least replaced, but what little you see of it still reminds you of that steaming turd design from ROC. Destro is a throwaway, but at least mentioned. I couldn't tell if he died, or not. And the fact that nobody wanted to return from the first film except for 5 people, so we were stuck with a Duke that gets killed off immediately, and an almost all-new team with zero mention of what the fuck happened with the rest of the team from the first film. Not even a mention? Come on, that was lazy, and the film was short, so it's not like it would've killed them to add in a few more minutes of dialogue to help the segue from ROC a little more. They could've explained it away, yet we were left with zero attention to it, yet it's still clearly ROC because of the other half-assed tie-ins. Storm Shadow was cardboard as fuck, and we wasted a good portion of the film explaining away the Hard Master's death shit AGAIN, and then the resolution and tie-in with Zartan made ZERO sense in regards to the film's timeline.

What were things that Chu contributed that didn't really work? Dear God, the Blind Master was distracting as fuck. RZA was awful! And he made ZERO sense in the context of the film. To fuck with them giving us "fanboys" a comic book nod. The character was lame in the comics, and we get The Blind Master of all characters? The ninja mountain fight was cool, but it was bookended by RZA's wacky inclusion, so that sort of killed any cool factor. Plus, they showed all that already a thousand times, so the actual mountain fight wasn't much new as far as cool new content. The team of essentially 4 "survivor" Joes, plus "honorary"/backup members like Jinx and Storm Shadow and retired Joe Colton was just waaaay underscale for something with a roster the size of GI Joe. They killed ALL THE FUCKING JOES? So you mean of all the characters, we're left with Roadblock, Lady Jaye, Flint, and Snake Eyes?

Look, I'm not saying throw in named characters just to throw them away, but we get comic-obscure Blind Master and even-more-obscure Mouse? Fuck me, throw in Cross Country, or Steeler, or Clutch, or even shittier ARAH guys and pop bullets in their heads if you need some casualties. But kill off everyone? ROC didn't include a big enough team of decent Joes, and this one delivered even less. What the fuck happened to Hawk? The team's leader isn't even mentioned, yet somehow Duke's now in charge of it all till he gets blown up?

The scale of it all bugged me to death. A handful of Joes, and a handful of Cobras? Doesn't seem like the right scale to me. Even with his Cobra forces, CC (who was stagnant as hell and even though he looked like CC, it seemed like Zartan was the one in charge, not him) had such a small Cobra force that it felt like not that big of a threat, if you ask me.

I dunno, it looked more like Joe than in ROC, just not enough of it, and lacking much spirit. I'm not saying toss in 300 Joes just to have them in the film, but more than 5 or 6. At best, the desert force we saw was only 80-100 members, tops, and there's the Pit still, I'd assume? Who knows. I felt ROC was actually more fun, and this was more serious, but neither was the right mix and with the roster used, just felt mediocre at best. None of the characters had any personality besides maybe Roadblock, Zartan and Firefly, and there wasn't that much even from those guys.

And while I've heard other people say that Colton's kitchen was awesome, I just rolled my eyes at how stupid it was.

5.5 out of 10. It's visually better than ROC, and had this either been the first entry or a total reboot, then it would've probably been a 7.5 but I still don't think Chu was the best director to bring us a good Joe flick. Better than Stephen Sommers, but not by much. At least you can tell Chu cared about the material, I just think he used the wrong "nods" to the source material and gave us another mediocre bundle of blah.

Last edited:

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Lets be honest. This script was terrible from the get go but the suits felt the needed to rush it before people realized RoC sucked.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
IMDB JOE 2 cast lists Clutch, Grunt, Tunnel Rat and Sgt. Slaughter...the guy listed as Grunt I caught because I recognized him from 2 Broke Girls...

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Pft, okay. Maybe in one scene background. So I'm guessing they all died, huh?

I still have no idea why we got such shit characters in ROC. Heavy Duty shouldn't have even been considered, nor should Breaker or Ripcord. I mean, I guess it's good now that #2 happened, since they all are dead. But it was still a weird selection.

Not sure why more recognizable fan-favorites like Rock N Roll, Gung-Ho, Shipwreck, Wild Bill, etc. weren't included instead of those guys.

What the hell nationality was Jinx? She looked half middle eastern or something.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Not sure why more recognizable fan-favorites like Rock N Roll, Gung-Ho, Shipwreck, Wild Bill, etc. weren't included instead of those guys.

It would've been super easy to toss in some cameos...WB flying a chopper or Ace piloting one of those planes...cameos would be cool/fun/easy...like you said, it was so short...they coulda done simple stuff like that and at least added length...

What the hell nationality was Jinx? She looked half middle eastern or something.
Her last name is Yung I think...so some kind of Asian...

<——— racist

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Élodie_Yung

LOL she is hot I guess... French and Cambodian.

I don't know, I think it was good omitting the rest of the Joes, it let them finish the RoC storylines pretty completely. If you introduced all those Joes and then immediately killed them off.. what's the point?

Now they can introduce pretty much whomever they want in GIJOE3 and craft their own storyline to go along with it (Minus Duke, Baroness, maybe Destro, etc).

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Pffft...I'm the guy clamouring for a JOE film grittier than ANY of you guys want...pussies...

Through some muted colored ARAH inspired uniforms on them, give them some global plots to chase with specialized Joes in their respective roles (SnowJob in the arctic, Shippy on boat, WB doing an extraction) some terrorists to kill, toss Cobra in there in a more serious degree, and show some blood, swear a little...

They don't have to look ARAH ridiculous, and the film doesn't have to be Tears of the Sun realistic, but damn, there HAS to be a happier middle ground...

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I think this sets them up for something like that.

Thinking now.. Cobra Commander got away.. he obviously still has his infrastructure out there. Storm Shadow, Zartan, etc had been busy during the past 3 years getting things ready.

GI JOE 3: Cobra is now a fully formed shadowy terrorist organization, sowing discord and havok among third world nations and in the US. The newly EXPANDED (and nationally recognized) GI JOE team fights COBRA face to face on the land, sea and air...

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I KNOW it will never happen, but I just wish kids/selling toys wasnt the focus...I truly feel like that's whats holding these Joe films (and many other films) back...

Sigh...

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I don't know, I felt like this one had a lot less "Look at the toy tie-in!" than RoC and the cartoons. And we look at this stuff obsessively!

Like I said.. even my GF thought the movie was entertaining, and I had to explain to her in the beginning who SE was, and who SS was and why CC was in there and what real SE was doing etc etc.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
I still have no idea why we got such shit characters in ROC. Heavy Duty shouldn't have even been considered, nor should Breaker or Ripcord. I mean, I guess it's good now that #2 happened, since they all are dead. But it was still a weird selection.

I remember reading somewhere that they had a panel at a Joe Con before ROC, and asked the audience what they should name a techie. The answer was apparently overwhelmingly Breaker, over names like Dial-Tone, Hi-Tech and the like.

So my assumption has always been that they essentially wrote in most of the roles and then went back and found characters who kinda sorta fit, rather than writing with those characters in mind all along.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
And so he is. Mainframe should probably have been who they used.