Legends of the West Kickstarter

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
"Are you retired too?"

"Not me, I'm in my prime."

"Yeah, you look it."
Just for you, I'm making a little tin cup as a dio piece.

That would be awesome. Perhaps a Big Nose Kate head sculpt bearing Joanna Pacula's likeness when the time comes?

Oh, and who's gonna do the custom of a bare-assed Jane Greathouse from Young Guns II?:pirate:

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
I believe the first wave has something like 12 different paint variations. The legs and bodies can also be swapped and there are a bunch of different jackets, vests, and gear. You should be able to create just about anything you want excluding the heads.

Hell, they'll be doing BLANKS, so everyone here should certainly be able to fab up any old greenhorn they want.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011

I love that little line so much.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Tombstone is probably the movie I've seen the most times... outside of the original three Star Wars and Indiana Jones films. So much to love, despite the glaring historical inaccuracies.

My favorite line, one I use in real life several times a week when encountering stupid people...

"I swear, it's like I'm playing cards with my brother's kids or something..."

+1 for fat Billy Bob.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Tombstone is probably the movie I've seen the most times... outside of the original three Star Wars and Indiana Jones films. So much to love, despite the glaring historical inaccuracies.

My favorite line, one I use in real life several times a week when encountering stupid people...

"I swear, it's like I'm playing cards with my brother's kids or something..."

+1 for fat Billy Bob.

It couldn't get a whole lot more fictional, but it's a damn entertaining film. I'd sure like to see the cut footage that slipped into the trailer.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I certainly hope so. That one needs a 25th anniversary edition.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
Per JE Russell:
Let's talk about the elephant in the room, as it's coming up on decision time to decide whether it's going to be made in series 1 as we'd planned, or have to be pushed.

Given the GARGANTUAN costs of tooling (it's about the same budget as the ENTIRE figure lineup), the Stagecoach will have some caveats. It will firstly, be a stretch goal all on it's own and NOT included in the "All-IN!" packages.
Also, we are working on how to get it produced. The horses have to be static (with removable tack), if you want horses with it at all. We may be able to swing a ball jointed head. Tooling costs and all that.

Also, helping reach the stretch goal will only pay for the tooling, and production costs will have to come out on the other side of that. This means that unlocking it, gets you a steep discount on one, not free as a bonus.

MSRP is going to be around $129 or so, we think. Given all those details, is it something you can budget for? Conceivably, if you bought just a smaller package (not All-IN!) and this unlocks, you would be able to purchase. Same obviously goes with the "All-IN!" package holders.

I know this is all strange, and not how things usually work, but given the massive cash outlay it's going to cost, it's the only way we can think of to get it done. Also, it will come with a driver made out of pre-existing parts. No new tooling, but there will be a figure included.

What do you think? In or out?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Static horses? Get the fuck out of here. I still don't understand why they're pushing that goddamn stage coach so hard.

$129 will still buy any number of proper 1:18 scale military vehicles.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
And there are several stagecoaches that look just as nice, as well as horses that have movable parts...both of which are considerably cheaper than $129.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Start hording the PTE Horses from Big Lots. Also I bought some static horses from the Dollar store that might work. (wanted to make a Pegasus)

They want the Stage Coach because its the big ticket item that if successful will drive the sales of smaller items.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
In truth, I doubt *they* think it'll work out for them. For a company that's only two guys with one guy paying for digisculptor subcontractors so far (that I'm aware), the coach is an extremely ambitious projects considering the fuckton of individual pieces that will need to be molded to pull it off to the market's satisfaction (similarly, I don't think Solomon's Leviathan starfighter has a good chance of happening).

But they know the people that would get it (and $129 seems pretty reasonable considering everything involved, imho) would be very happy with it alongside the figures, so they're gonna give it a chance.

They've been saying the horses coming with the coach would have to be static from the very first day this was all announced, and explained that trying to fund both the coach and fully-articced horse at once was a no-go.

CoreyD

Enlisted
May 3, 2015
DC
I'm interested in the figures, but not the stagecoach -- and certainly not at that price, so it's a no go for me.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
Can one of the Staff change the thread name to 'Dime Novel Legends (of the West) Kickstarter' to reflect the change of the line?

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Maybe not. 1:18th and 1:16th with modern stuff is pretty obvious because there's real world counterparts around the time to give you a pretty decent sense of scale. When was the last time you saw a stagecoach in person?

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
Yeah, 16th is probably better for fitting 18th figures in than a proper 18th one would be anyway, due to the incompressability of flesh and clothing causing figures to 'float' over the seats instead of sinking into them; like how 18th figures don't fit in those 18th diecast cars.

How much is that kit? If it's <$40, I'd snatch it up!

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
I am really excited about this line. More so than the others that have recently launched.

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
It's supposed to start in 2 weeks. I wonder how that will effect this and the Eagle Force overlapping run times.

blackrazor1

Enlisted
Dec 25, 2013
Latest news!

JE Russell said:
Press Release time. I am only including the text here, but when it goes out to other sites tomorrow, they will have current photos/logos and all the pretty pictures. Now, READ dammit!
Announcing a LEGENDARY Western-Themed 1:18th Scale Toy Line Kickstarter Campaign!
Dallas/Forth Worth -- When searching for highly articulated action figures in 1:18th scale, aisle 3C is looking like a modern ghost town these days. Therefore it's no surprise that a number of small companies are striving to fill the gap for collectors of this action figure scale.
To this end, Chicken Fried Toys (CFT) is proud to introduce their Dime Novel Legends (DNL), their first-ever lineup of 3.75-inch, fully articulated, collectible action figures that bring back the essence of the American Frontier West. These 15 realistic reproductions of iconic Western archetypes feature authentic styling and looks, and include numerous accessories and gear that historically reflect the period between 1835 and 1895. This line will be introduced via Kickstarter campaign on October 1, 2016 and will run for six (6) weeks.
The Dime Novel Legends lineup will encompass characters drawn from the rich history of Frontier America during its expansion westward. While easily identifiable, these characters do not represent any single person from history, film or literature. Rather, they are an amalgamation taken from the collective imaginations of enthusiasts who have long dreamed of accumulating an entire Western community of cowboys, townsfolk, lawmen, bandits, and Native Americans from an often ignored and nigh-forgotten part of America's unique and rich history.
Chicken Fried Toys will introduce these iconic action figures intended for the adult collector featuring 16 points of articulation as part of a Kickstarter campaign beginning October 2016.
Wave 1 will include:
â¦￾ The Marshal - Clad in black, with his long coat pulled back over his working holster to show ruffians that he means business, this icon comes with a "Hogleg" pistol, "Street Howitzer" long gun, and removable hat and jacket.
â¦￾ The Sheriff - Dressed like a "dandy" with a Derby and suitcoat, this lawman carries a cane, not so much for walking, but rather to give a sophisticated air to any cattle or mining camp he has been charged to protect.
â¦￾ Territories Lawman - Before the regions of the American West became states, they were territories under the jurisdiction of the Federal government. This storied African-American lawman comes with dual holsters and pistols, bandana, removable vest and hat. All this makes him the true definition of a Legend!
â¦￾ Trail Boss - Wearing chaps and a broad-brimmed hat, this honcho of the trail drive has all the trappings of a seasoned leader. If his stern look doesn't command the respect he's earned, he has a lever-action rifle and removable "Outlaw" pistol to back it up.
â¦￾ Saloon Bartender - No image of the classic Western town is complete without a bartender or shopkeeper. Likely the only person who can afford both moustache wax AND hair cream, often neutral in fights and always the center of information, this smiling gentleman with the apron is quick with a mug of refreshment, and a turn on the pickle/beer barrel.
â¦￾ Sharpshooter - Wearing a period-correct bib-front shirt, this misplaced Texan sports a removable bandana, Texas-sized hat, cartridge belt with working knife and sheathe, and a legendary buffalo rifle with flip-up rear sight.
â¦￾ Ranch Hand - No cattle drive is complete without the ubiquitous trail hand. His look is highlighted with tall Cavalry style boots, removable vest, and gun belt. His hat, surely bought fresh from the General Store with pay from working the latest cattle drive, tops his clean-cut look.
â¦￾ Head Honcho - Every gang has its ringleader; a rough and tumble, but quick-witted character who is not to be trifled with on any occasion. He wears a removable vest, gun belt, bandana, and Derby.
â¦￾ Gunfighter - The gang member with the cool temper and lightning quick six-guns is dressed in a suitcoat styled of the day. He has a removable hat, gun belt, twin holsters and pistols to fill 'em.
â¦￾ Vaquero - This everyday inhabitant of the Texas Southwest has a wide-brimmed hat to keep the desert sun off his shoulders, along with chaps, gun belt, pistol and Spanish silver spurs. Dressed up brightly in his best for the celebratory rodeo at the end of a long cattle drive, he cuts quite a colorful character.
â¦￾ Prospector - These men were some of the first brave souls to cross the Plains in search of riches and fortune, while "seein' it all." This old codger comes with an iconic hat and all the tools to hit the motherlode, including a pickaxe and pan.
â¦￾ Fire Brigadier - When every town is made of either wood or canvas, a firefighter or two becomes an essential part of the landscape. This member of the Old West Fire Brigade comes with a Victorian-era fire helmet, red bib-front shirt, Halligan tool, fire axe and suspenders!
â¦￾ Create Yer' Own Outlaw - Clad in signature black and sporting a surly look, this villain will be named by Kickstarter participants in a poll run during the campaign. He will sport a long coat, Cavalry boots, double holsters for his gun belt, and two pitch-black pistols.
â¦￾ Create Yer' Own Cowboy - Not just the name, but the color palette will be chosen by the "All-In!" Kickstarter pledges. This classically styled cowboy has chaps, unique hat, removable vest and all the right gear to complete your cattle drive!
â¦￾ Badlands Vigilante - This 15th figure is exclusive to the "All-In!" Kickstarter package. He has a unique portrait sculpt, removable "10-gallon" hat, bandana, suitcoat, gun belt, and shining silver six-guns.
The figures will be unlocked in the order listed above during the campaign. Tiered between each figure as they unlock will be the following collector accessories:
â¦￾ Gear Sets - Five sets comprised of different firearms, weapons, and gun belts in colors not available on any other figure during this initial offering.
â¦￾ Accessory Sets - Five sets of jackets, vests, hats and bandanas in colors not available on any other figure during this initial offering.
â¦￾ Buck-A-Roos! - Five "blank" figures each comprised of a single color shirt and sleeves, and different color britches with complementary colored boots. These colors will not be available on any other figure in the initial offering. Skin tones will vary from figure to figure for variety.
Prices for both individual figures and "All-In!" packages are still TBD. We will announce final pricing before the campaign begins to allow for collector budgeting. Retail costs after the campaign should not exceed $20 per figure.
Work on Wave 2 is already underway and will include Plains Indian Tribes, smooth-talking gamblers, Cavalry troops, a school marm, and close to a dozen more unique Western icons! Stay tuned for more details as work is completed and we proceed through the Kickstarter campaign.
For more information, click our Chicken Fried Toys - Dime Novel Legends Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1693604734243240/
Chicken Fried Toys is Paul Mundheim and JE Russell, lifelong action figure collecting enthusiasts. Working in partnership with lauded Boss Fight Studio and Smalljoes.com, CFT knows the unique mind of the 1:18th scale action figure collector like no other. Saddle up, and come along for the ride!

JE Russell said:
Holy poops! Approval is in from Kickstarter and we are ready to go! I know this doesn't mean anything about funding, but to be at this point is very, very emotional. I'll post a start time in just a bit for the first.
*EDIT* Start time for the campaign will be at 8PM Central Time on the 1st. You have been warned!

Last edited:

joesilver

PMC on demand!!!!!!
Jun 3, 2011
Portugal
i have a question that i will post here.
Alyosha is one of responsibles from the line? this is the only caster , the only guy that took my money in this hobbie. buy him some items from broken arrow toys and then emailed him, conmtact him through facebook and many more attempts and he never reply me. this guy has about 100 dollars from me and never answer me.

i saw many more complaints after that and he took the money from a lot of people.

so with such a negative feedback from the community how can everybody trust him in a kickstarter? nobody have concerns?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
i have a question that i will post here.
Alyosha is one of responsibles from the line? this is the only caster , the only guy that took my money in this hobbie. buy him some items from broken arrow toys and then emailed him, conmtact him through facebook and many more attempts and he never reply me. this guy has about 100 dollars from me and never answer me.

i saw many more complaints after that and he took the money from a lot of people.

so with such a negative feedback from the community how can everybody trust him in a kickstarter? nobody have concerns?

I've seen more than one person post that his involvement is a deal-killer, so no, you're not alone in your concerns.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
What I don't understand is, why did BFS go with a different place/person this time around, instead of sticking with the same place/people that did their Greek mythos figures?

Also, people need to be letting BFS know what kind of person they are dealing with and that his involvement is keeping people away.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
This isn't a BFS project. They were contracted by the wholly-separate company CFT to do some freelance design work. I assume they've been paid for that and have no further involvement beyond advice once interaction with the factory is needed due to CFT using the same factory.