Lego Stop-Motion

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
My son (age 8) spent considerable time making a stop-motion animation "movie" this summer. Actually, he wanted to go to stop-motion camp (yes, it exists), and I explained that we could do that better at home (you know, because the idea of melding photography and expensive software I don't know how to use was just TOO up-my-alley).

So after setting up lots of equipment and many intense afternoons later, he wrote a script, shot 1200 pictures, and we recorded all the dialogue. I've been providing IT and post-production support :) The story is like you'd imagine, an 8-year-old's fever dream crammed into 120 seconds of choppy chaotic glory. Enjoy the insanity!
:popcorn:

https://youtu.be/5go6JJch6J4

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Y'all did a fine job, and as far as I've seen, it was no more insane than the average Mixel short. :D

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Heh. How much influence did you have in the music and sound effects? Benny Hill? Transformers? Sanford and Son? ;)

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Alex had the final say, but I made suggestions ;)

I got as many effects from actual Mixel shorts as possible. Got a few from vintage Warner Bros cartoons. And when the nixels merged, he and I both assumed it would be a TF effect (he likes G1 TF toons also). He was incredibly adamant about the loud drumbeats during the credits. I finally found a score that suited him, and he picked the exact 12 second window to use. He's never seen S&S, but we just needed something at the end with a different tone than the action sequence, and I offered that as a choice.

He picked out all the voices too. I downloaded some voice-changing software with a ton of presents, so he enjoyed trying to get the right one for each character. Also, it was fun trying to pick out music/sounds that fit the already existing footage. Overall, that was really easy compared to composing/shooting the frames.

Last edited:

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
That was pretty awesome Nacho. Tell your son he did a great job. Going to show this to my 8 year old twins.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Haha, yeah, can't blame you there. If I didn't have him to tell me, I'd have no clue either.

Mixels are lego's way of selling 35 pieces for $5. Weird little monster characters, each part of a 3-character themed team, and only certain ones can *successfully* cross-mix using a little square called a cupit (sp?). Nixels are evil/annoying. That's the extent of my knowledge.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Here's his setup. Nothing fancy, but it works.

Attachments

• DSC03338b.jpg
    DSC03338b.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I don't recall the brand (I'll check when I get home). Each of those lights takes two 75W equiv daylight bulbs IIRC, and the front is just a big translucent white diffuser. It's old, circa 2007. It's part of a cheap portable ebay photo studio kit I bought for ~$100. We use those lights all the time for taking pictures of smaller stuff. They work great for photographing small children too.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Thanks nacho. Those look pretty nice. Great white, soft light.

What's that back board made of? Plastic of some sort I assume...?