Merit's "New" Huey.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The chin gun on mine is busted all to hell, but I haven't had any issues with the turret itself.

To be honest if I were to do this Huey (for Coooobraaaa! usage) I'd probably take all the useable stuff (the AN/ALQ-144, AN/ALE-39 CMDS, M260 pods and TOW racks and tubes) off and toss the rest of my AH-1W.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
They were the best price back during pre-order, and I'd be surprised if anyone was better than that now. Usually this is when badcat will jack them up 50% because they're getting more scarce again.

Edit: badcat actually comes in a dollar cheaper on the bird but two dollars higher on the shipping. Not that I'd order from them anyway.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I really need an unadorned nose variant. I could probably make the one with the M5 work, but between it and the cost of the resin blade items (2-4 of all the Huey parts listed in that thread) I'm dangerously close to 3 bills, and I haven't even gotten to the other parts like a pickel weather radome and FLIR.

Sure, the three pages of hand jobs I'd get when it was posted would be great, but not enough to justify the expense. :D This one will have to stay a dream.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Not even remotely compatible.

The Skystriker is a Joescale cockpit on a roughly 1:35 plane.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Most assuredly.

Unless it was something massive in 1:1. Then you might be able to fudge it as a Joescale thing.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
They're talkin' out there ass. The only Joe compatible, post Korea jets are the Bbi's F-16C (1:16.5, actually), F/A-18 and JSI's F-14. There was a prototype of a 1:18 F-4, but that's about it.

Then the forthcoming AV-8B+. There's an F-104, but we don't talk about that one.

Last edited:

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
Yeah, I had to ask because some people on Hiss were saying that some Joes actually fit into the JSI F14 and 1/32 BBI F4 Phantom.

But if you guys say so I'll take it as fact and stay away from it.

There is absolutely NO way a joe will fit in a 1/32 vehicle... I wish I had a Joe with me to compare to the 1/32 BSG Viper I'm working on...

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
About the only thing that might work for 1:18 in 1:32 is linked .50BMG.

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
Still be a bit small wouldn't it?

There are a few 1/20 and 1/16 models on the market that would work-but holy crap you're going to drop a few hundred for those kits

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I think they might be passable as rifle caliber rounds. Could be mistaken, though.

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
Oh, right. I mis-read that. Yeah, linked rounds would look good, I think.

I need to get to sleep. It's almost 4 am here. Ugh.

Apache26

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
They're talkin' out there ass. The only Joe compatible, post Korea jets are the Bbi's F-16C (1:16.5, actually), F/A-18 and JSI's F-14. There was a prototype of a 1:18 F-4, but that's about it.

Then the forthcoming AV-8B+. There's an F-104, but we don't talk about that one.

Why don't we talk about that one?

I've been considering picking one up on Ebay since it's my only Vietnam era option.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Because it's an F-104. Probably among the last of the Century Series birds that should have been produced, and only one in a number of examples of 21st's dubious selection process.

0 recorded victories for F-104s in Vietnam. Plenty of shot-downs and engine failures, though. Pulled from USAF service in '67. Piss-poor choice for a 1:18 model given all the interesting hardware sent there.

We should have gotten that M551 or PBR instead.

Apache26

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
Because it's an F-104. Probably among the last of the Century Series birds that should have been produced, and only one in a number of examples of 21st's dubious selection process.

0 recorded victories for F-104s in Vietnam. Plenty of shot-downs and engine failures, though. Pulled from USAF service in '67. Piss-poor choice for a 1:18 model given all the interesting hardware sent there.

We should have gotten that M551 or PBR instead.

I agree entirely. I wasn't sure if you were saying that the F-104 was unmentionable because of the model itself or because it was yet another example of 21st's dubious decision making. I'm guessing someone at 21st just liked the way it looked, or they had a relative who flew one. Given it's craptacular history, and the fact that it was only deployed a couple of times in Vietnam, the F-104 leaves one pondering the many alternatives.

Yet the damned toy still demands a price tag of $130 - 150.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
From what I've read it's among 21st's finest pieces. They didn't skimp on the execution, they just chose a poor subject.

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011
thingsatwistedewokwouldsay.blogspot.com
From what I've read it's among 21st's finest pieces. They didn't skimp on the execution, they just chose a poor subject.

that was 21st's whole corporate plan.

CEO "what should we make?"

staff 1 "Harrier"
staff 2 "A-10 Thunderbolt"
staff 3 "F-4 Phantom"
staff 4 "we could repaint the mustang again"

CEO "hot damn, staff 4! brilliant as always, you get a promotion!"

Apache26

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
I had a long thread of messages with a guy on SSHQ about 21st and the possibility of there ever being a toy company like them again (only smarter...). It's a discouraging prospect, especially given that one has to deal with China when it comes to mass producing plastic toys. I can see why it would be an easier decision to say, repaint M-4 Shermans in a dozen different schemes, then to take risks. The WWII fanboys will buy up every little esoteric and rehashed item relating to that war. But it would eventually seem that 21st would reach a point of market saturation where it would have been better to invest in an A-10.

There is certainly plenty of demand now for UH-1C's, AH-1W's and M-113's that people are willing to pay over $200 for toys that were once $40 at Wal Mart. The guy on SSHQ pinned much blame on 21st's marketing strategies, as well as Wal Mart's distribution scheme for the fact that multitudes of unpurchased M-113's and the like were sitting on Wal Mart's clearance shelves. Nonetheless, I would also blame a lack of a cogent theme.

Whenever WWII stuff is introduced, it's a part of a full line that includes paratroopers, leg infantry, Wermacht, SS and on down the line. 21st never really took the modern side seriously, so who wants to buy an AH-1W in Wal Mart without a corresponding theme of Modern Marine infantry and some Hadjis to shoot? Why make an M-2A1 IFV which weren't in general use past 1990?

Only 21st took Vietnam seriously, and even then their decisions were lackluster. Why issue USMC tankers as helicopter crewmen when you have helo crewman molds available? Clearly, why do an F-104 rather than an F-4, F-105, A-6, A-4, F-8 or A-7? Why do a modern M-113A3 which had a far limited role in Iraq than a full ACAV? The second line of 1:18 figures was much better than the first, but aside from bizarre quality control issues, there were no VC or NVA! Why can every manufacturer produce a full line of SS Nazis but only a pittance of Taliban or NVA?

Why? Why? Why?

I suppose the ultimate justice is that 21st is out of business. But to everyone else I say, "BUY THE JSI HUEY!!!!" Hopefully strong retail sales of that aircraft will alleviate the manufacturer's concerns that Vietnam (or other eras) won't sell. The thing is less than $100 and everyone keeps griping that they can't get well priced aircraft. Well, do you want to wait until they are $300 on E-Bay? So buy a damned JSI Huey now so that we can keep the ball rolling and we don't get more of the same WWII themes.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Why the hell 21st never released their Huey pilot as a carded/bagged figure is beyond me. The Huey came with one, you needed AT LEAST one more, and usually 3 if you didn't mind your crew chief and door gunner looking like pilots. Now those things will easily pull 40 USD on the 'Bay. I mention Ewokhunter in my prayers to dark gods every night for the one he sent me. At least one of my Hueys has a pilot and co-pilot. I'll echo your sentiments on the lack of OpFor in the Platoon and 173rd ABCT releases. Remember the spook figure that came as the pilot for the Super Cobra?

Bitch, please!

The Stuka crewmen got carded releases, but EVERY Stuka sans JSI's included them!

It was obvious that 21st had more in mind for Vietnam, it just didn't happen.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Dammit, the board says there's supposed to be a post buy ewok in here.

Apache26

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
Buy a JSI Huey!!! Keep the line running for something other than WWII!!!

That's my mandatory plug before I hijack this further into a 21st thread. As I've mentioned, back in the heyday of 1:18 I was little interested in the little guys and a fan of the 1:6 figures. Sometimes I was shocked buying 21st products. I remember seeing the product prototype photo of the 1:6 NVA - superbly detailed and clad in khaki - on the back of the box of the actual figure. Open up the box, and you had an NVA that looked like Herman Munster (or one of the Misfits figures without makeup) in a forest green uniform. 21st was a master of hype and under-delivering. But it astonished me that they used photos of prototypes on the boxes of the actual toys. The back of the 1:18 "Platoon" figures shows highly detailed "Platoon" sculpts on surplus USMC tanker bodies.

In spite of these things, I'm sure we'd still be buying their stuff had they stayed afloat. In the SSHQ thread, the rep from the small retailer made it clear that 21st really blew it when they moved away from being service oriented towards the customers and small collectible shops and focused exclusively on Target and Wal Mart. Of course, when you're dealing with the big boys, they entice with huge profits on huge sales and they control how and where the toys are sold. That's fine for Hasbro or Mattel, but miserable for smaller companies whose primary customers are collectors. The rep said that 21st came crawling back to small retailers, but the damage was done and they were a sinking ship.

Could "we" do a better job? I'm sure we could as long as "we" didn't try and do everything at all scales and were content with making far less money by catering to people such as "ourselves", selling from online and small retailers, and not fighting for massive worldwide distribution. I'd like to see if someone could basically do what Pickelhaube does, but professionally and with an actual business to support it - not as as catch-as-can, where my whims take me sort of hobby. I wouldn't want Wal Mart telling me which toys they think will sell and setting my price points.

So riddle me this...

If I were to make a 1:18 M-551 in kit form with decals and sell it for around $60 + shipping, would there be takers?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Buy a JSI Huey!!! Keep the line running for something other than WWII!!!

If JSI does the mods Merit hinted at I probably will.

If I were to make a 1:18 M-551 in kit form with decals and sell it for around $60 + shipping, would there be takers?

Does a bear shit in the woods?