New Joe movie casting?

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=9&itemid=17373

THR is reporting that Rapper-turned-actor RZA (Pictured Left) and D.J. Cotrona, are in negotiations to board Paramount’s new G.I. Joe movie being directed by Jon Chu.

Cotrona is up for the character of "Flint" and RZA will play a martial arts master named the "Blind Master" who in the past trained Joe commandoes "Snake-Eyes" and "Jinx."

The new movie contains a whole new cast of characters including Elodie Yung playing "Jinx" and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson playing the role of "Roadblock." Johnson confirmed his role today by posting the message: It’s official: Call the Pentagon, get me my big ass gun – Rocks a JOE!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The only acting i've seen RZA do was that tiny cameo in Ghost Dog. Being a big fan of martial arts movies does a qualified actor make.

Dwayne Johnson has been several flicks, and he certainly isn't gonna be the worst thing about this movie, unless someone George Lucases the dialog and directing.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I wonder if there will be Roadblock Rage over the Rock playing him. Will he be "black enough" to play the part, or will this be another character getting ripcorded? The fact that he's pretty famous and popular will likely help to a degree, but when I think Roadblock, I think Ving Rhames, not Dwayne Johnson.

I'm not saying they have to be slavishly true to the source material (clearly they weren't in the first one), but I'm mostly curious if this will generate the same vitrol as Weems-gate.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It shouldn't, his father was black. Then again, these are Joe fans we're talking about and i think they hated Heavy Duty and there wasn't anything wrong with the casting there.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
RZA \/\/\/

this D.J. guy as Flint works okay...
kinda baby faced though, but he's 31 i believe

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I wonder if there will be Roadblock Rage over the Rock playing him. Will he be "black enough" to play the part, or will this be another character getting ripcorded? The fact that he's pretty famous and popular will likely help to a degree, but when I think Roadblock, I think Ving Rhames, not Dwayne Johnson..

i'm one of the ones who doesnt like Rock as RB...like you said, a guy more like Rhames would be nice...

weird that they turn a white character black (in RoC) and now a black character (almost) white...:rolleyes:

it bothered me a lot more for the first movie because i actually had hope and was REALLY looking forward to a Joe movie...but now, after the first debacle, i'm already expecting this film to be a hot mess, so i'm not even surprized...

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
True, Weems-gate was the first bombshell that let everyone know that wasn't going to be the movie hardcore joe fans wanted. Expectations are so low for this one, I'm not sure anything they could do with the second film would get fandom foaming at the mouth that much.

But yeah, they took the irish white guy and made him black, and now they are casting the whitest black guy they can find for Roadblock. He's a tolerable actor, and I honestly think he can pull it off. Mostly I hope and pray that the Roadblock character is actually written like the guy we all know and love. I'm not talking about the crazy rhyming nonsense, but the dialog better sound like Marvin Hinton should no matter who the actor is. That will make a huge difference as to whether or not he works as the character. Ripcord was just a totally new character with a familiar name, and that only made it worse.

Also, I wonder if they overcame the legal / trademark issues using the roadblock name in this film, or if that was just a colossal wad of BS given to fans because they wanted to use HD for some odd reason last time.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I just don't see Ving in a Joe film. Terry Crews, perhaps, but not Ving.

I don't know why you care anyhow, this film is gonna be 80% suck just like the first one.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Now that Hasbro has made Predator figures in the Joe line i say we all just call that movie an unofficial Joe one.

Get to da choppa!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I don't know why you care anyhow, this film is gonna be 80% suck just like the first one.

Oh, you mistake my attention to the oncoming train wreck with genuine "caring". They aren't making anything even resembling a Joe film I'd like to see. I don't give two shits about this movie. I still haven't even seen the first one!

my sentiments mirror nachos...now had they done some proper casting and had a good director choice, then i might care...but seeing as how this is going down the same crappy road as the first one, nah, i don't care...it does have to do with joe though, so i will gawk like i would if two old cracked out whores were wrestling on the side of the street...

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
i think most of us don't really give a sh!t about a Joe movie anymore...just expecting whatever they do to be garbage

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I definitely think "blow up" is a stretch. Morbid curiosity at best...

Oh, I meant that I just expected x to blow up about it. Not that you did, you were just the first to mention it.

I think every cast member announced so far is shit, including The Rock. He'd be better as Gung Ho if you ask me, but definitely not Roadblock. And RZA? Are they retarded?

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Rock as Gung-Ho would be really cool...a rapper as some monk like blind man whos basically Bruce Lee, ehhhh i don't know about that one

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
with all these EX rappers, I can already see the transformer twins scenario shaping up.

If that don't get you excited, I don't know what would... :rolleyes:

I actually feel bad for Rock. He's actually too good of an action actor for Joe 2 (based upon RoC of course)... What's that tell you?

I wonder if Snake Eyes will have "rubber neeeples" in this one... points for the reference...

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011
The only acting i've seen RZA do was that tiny cameo in Ghost Dog. Being a big fan of martial arts movies does a qualified actor make.

Dwayne Johnson has been several flicks, and he certainly isn't gonna be the worst thing about this movie, unless someone George Lucases the dialog and directing.

He was one of the Detectives in American' Gangster (Russell Crowe vs Denzel Washington, Ridley Scott film), one of the segments in the film Coffee and Cigarettes. Plus the Wu Tang Clan has a massive, huge love for Kung-Fu and Martial Arts films. Hence the name.

The Rock was born to be a G.I.Joe.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Friday Nights Lights series star Adrianne Palicki will play the female lead in the Paramount sequel to G.I. Joe: Cobra Strikes. She'll play Lady Jaye and joins a cast that includes Channing Tatum, as well as Dwayne Johnson, who signed on to play the role of Roadblock in the Jon M. Chu-directed film. Ray Park is expected to reprise his Snake Eyes character, Byung Hun-lee is expected to bring back Storm Shadow, and RZA just joined the film.

Interestingly, Deadline also mention that Bruce Willis might be a "top choice" to play original G.I. Joe, Joe Colton. Anyway, what do you guys make of this casting? Despite Wonder Woman being canceled, Palicki isn't a bad actress. Can the likes of her and The Rock drum up any excitement for this sequel?

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=40791

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Someone at HT mentioned this dude as Roadblock (wishful thinking, it's not happening): Lester Speight.

Apparently he's in TF3. I gotta catch that this weekend or I'll lose some nerd cred. That dude is the perfect Roadblock. Check this image:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
That's not a bad call. I know some are gonna shit and fall back in it, though.

He can't be Firefly gobgobgobogogob111one!!oneEleVen!1