Obi's Armor idea

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
[Admin Edit: I moved all these posts to their own thread, I think this is a good/neat idea and want it to continue. Please use the other thread for more armor/loadout pictures.]

Could these be made from soft-goods, then molded in flexible resin? If so, I'd be happy to start working on something. Once done, you guys could approve/disapprove for molding and casting.

A thinner vest would lead to better fitting and such, as long as it's strong enough not to break/rip.

Lmk.

MMorelock66

Isn't a Gijoe fan
Apr 4, 2012
the land of Virginia
Could these be made from soft-goods, then molded in flexible resin? If so, I'd be happy to start working on something. Once done, you guys could approve/disapprove for molding and casting.

A thinner vest would lead to better fitting and such, as long as it's strong enough not to break/rip.

Lmk.

If you were able to cast some more realistic vests for our figures, I would gladly shell out some cash.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Is it possible to make casts of items made out of cloth and coated with something like a gel medium?

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
I'm thinking like this:

If the vest parts were done individually, using the micro-canvas, they should take on the texture in the mold. Other materials could be used also, to get different textures.

Once all the pieces of a single vest design were cast, you would just have to put it together. Kinda like the real thing. It's what I would do if I were making one for a full-blown fig.

Thoughts?

MMorelock66

Isn't a Gijoe fan
Apr 4, 2012
the land of Virginia
I'm thinking like this:

If the vest parts were done individually, using the micro-canvas, they should take on the texture in the mold. Other materials could be used also, to get different textures.

Once all the pieces of a single vest design were cast, you would just have to put it together. Kinda like the real thing. It's what I would do if I were making one for a full-blown fig.

Thoughts?

I'm no expert, but this sounds absolutely phenomenal. Being able to glue different pouches and whatnot for different specialties sounds great.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar

Lmk.

I'm thinking like this:

Thoughts?

If this is possible, that would be awesome. So much potential.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
I think it would be very possible to do, again, as long as the resin holds up.

Let's decide what the 1st vest should be, and I'd be happy to start working on it ASAP. This isn't to imply that anyone else couldn't do the job, just that I'm offering to do what I can.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Yeah, I'm backed up on projects and couldn't do anything worthwhile. I thought about making a 3D print so that the thickness is uniform but then I realized I wouldn't get to it until next year;)

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(

Lmk.

I'm thinking like this:

Thoughts?

I love that idea, especially if after casting, it could retain the thinness of the micro canvas used...it'd just more realistic that way and wouldn't get too bulky after stacking up the harness then pouches on top of it...Not to mention, like you said, maintaining the awesome realistic texture the canvas offers...

My votes for one similar to what I posted :D

Or even something cool that would fit a female figures torso since I don't think anything of that nature exists

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I think it would be very possible to do, again, as long as the resin holds up.

Let's decide what the 1st vest should be, and I'd be happy to start working on it ASAP. This isn't to imply that anyone else couldn't do the job, just that I'm offering to do what I can.

I think a blank MOLLE vest similar to the ones you made for your Delta Force customs or the special forces S.P.E.A.R. web gear would be awesome.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
As a suggestion, you might want to consider any open spaces, like between straps or carriers, be filled in excess material that can be cut out after casting. I just worry about the resin ripping when it's being removed from the mold.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Here's the thing -

To feasibly do most of these vest designs, some corners will have to be cut. MOLLE straps for instance, would be more visual than usable. Pouches would have to be glued on wherever you want, giving the illusion of the real thing.

Now for straps/suspenders... those could be seperate pieces to attach to belts, rigs, whatever.

One thing that someone will have to figure out, if not me during a vest build, is whether or not there would be a somewhat simple method to allow for a degree of "adjustments". I have an idea right now that I think will definitely work, but I'm throwing that out there just in case.

I'm excited about the potential of this project. It's definitely worth trying, but another thing is, we need to check with Jesse (I'm assuming) to see if he thinks it could work. Fingers crossed!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Here's the thing -

To feasibly do most of these vest designs, some corners will have to be cut. MOLLE straps for instance, would be more visual than usable. Pouches would have to be glued on wherever you want, giving the illusion of the real thing.

I think both those things would be expected...

Now for straps/suspenders... those could be seperate pieces to attach to belts, rigs, whatever.

One thing that someone will have to figure out, if not me during a vest build, is whether or not there would be a somewhat simple method to allow for a degree of "adjustments". I have an idea right now that I think will definitely work, but I'm throwing that out there just in case.
I think pieces of strapping/webbing that arent an integrated part of the vest could just be 'cut to length'...and as these vests are basically a piece together affair, a certain level of customer customization is to also be expected...

Hmm..also, what about clips and D-rings and such?...would those be part of what would get cast?

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Jesse and I talked on the phone yesterday for a few minutes, and ironed out a few things. Everything is fine between us, as far as I see it.

Good deal!

I was actually referring to your idea about casting vests and whatnot made from the lego canvas stuff.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
I think both those things would be expected...

I think pieces of strapping/webbing that arent an integrated part of the vest could just be 'cut to length'...and as these vests are basically a piece together affair, a certain level of customer customization is to also be expected...

Hmm..also, what about clips and D-rings and such?...would those be part of what would get cast?

Exactly what I was thinking. Basically anything that would be adjustable, will be made longer, etc. Yes, the customizer will have to make the finale size for the fig.

Ah yes... D-rings and such. Cast? No way. Not if you want to use them. My suggestion? A very thin Hobby wire would work for D-rings, and even most carabiner clips. Either that, or Guppy computer designs something that might work.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Ah yes... D-rings and such. Cast? No way. Not if you want to use them. My suggestion? A very thin Hobby wire would work for D-rings, and even most carabiner clips. Either that, or Guppy computer designs something that might work.

I do like that idea, but how would these rings and such be used/attached if the material is a cast soft plastic?...glued in place sure, but with plastic, they wouldn't be functional...

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Here's the thing -

I'm excited about the potential of this project. It's definitely worth trying, but another thing is, we need to check with Jesse (I'm assuming) to see if he thinks it could work. Fingers crossed!

A lot of third party softgoods require a heat up process to get them to fit right. If the material is thick enough, this could be done to get them to fit specific figures.

If that's not the cup of tea, maybe set up straps with a few holes with about 2-3mm gaps between holes. After the size is figured out, the slack can be cut off and covered up with glued on pieces. We could figure out some gear that can use the exposed holes to kind of cover them up.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I do like that idea, but how would these rings and such be used/attached if the material is a cast soft plastic?...glued in place sure, but with plastic, they wouldn't be functional...

We could always make what looks like sewn fabric attached to the ring, with peg coming out of the back. That could be casted and then all you need to do is drill a hole where you want to glue it.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA

I might have a decent solution for ring attatchments, at least for any standard factory rings. If I were to basically slightly thicken the very end of a strap, which would lay flat against whatever part (like at the upper chest/front shoulder position), it should leave a decent area to drill through with a pin-vise to fit the ring.

As for custom ring placement, you could easily use a small strip of material to loop through a ring, leaving enough of a tail, then glue the tail to the spot of choice.

I'm going to try putting something together this weekend for show and tell.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Good idea!...I love the thought of the making them look more functional and sexy...or even actually being functional...and it could be a feature of them that could be utilized, but doesn't have to be...

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Damn, my plan to have it hidden forever has failed!

Time to commit sepukku.

It's amazing how so many threads get way off topic and completely derailed but when Obi starts leading a discussion that is completely topical, it gets moved.

Conspiracy?

MMorelock66

Isn't a Gijoe fan
Apr 4, 2012
the land of Virginia
It's amazing how so many threads get way off topic and completely derailed but when Obi starts leading a discussion that is completely topical, it gets moved.

Conspiracy?

I would assume it's because Obi's looks to have a lot of greatness in it, and in other terms when something gets derailed it's just mindless silly stuff. Don't think my post was meant to offend you fellows. It's not :)

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
How much do I donate so I can start kicking people out of threads?

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Probably, but I'm learning to just live with it.

Nah... it makes sense. The original thread was to post pics and info on gear. I drove it down the customizing ideas road. Eddie was riding shotgun though.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Probably, but I'm learning to just live with it.

Nah... it makes sense. The original thread was to post pics and info on gear. I drove it down the customizing ideas road. Eddie was riding shotgun though.

Yeah, as I said in the ADMIN edit on the first post, I like this idea, it's just different than what the other thread was for.

They can both live in harmony and ecstasy!