Pardon the Dust

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com

Things seem to still be somewhat sluggish but at least it's loading. Not sure what happened as I wasn't doing anything at the time (the usual cause of issues).

Probably something with the host, hopefully.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Anybody else been getting loading errors? I was completely locked out this morning for a while.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah there is something going on where it's not properly clearing the cache. Seems to build up every couple of days now and I have to manually go in and flush it out. Looking into the how's and the why's now.

It's a relatively easy temp fix, but it keeps coming back every 3-4 days.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I think I might be 39% dust already... once I hit that 51% point it's really all downhill!

I *think* I found the issue and fixed it, but we'll need to wait a couple days to be sure.

For some reason or another, something on the back end got.. stuck. The site is supposed to do automatic file cleanup/etc. Some stuff is hourly, some daily, but it's all supposed to be done in the background to keep things working smoothly.

Somehow, it ALL stopped doing this on Oct 31st, 2019. (Spooooooky) I am actually quite amazed that everything continued to run for all this time without any of that happening in the background. One of the processes cleaned out some cache or something, and it's supposed to do that daily. When that didn't happened, the cache got bigger and bigger until eventually it was too big for our (cheap ass) server, which caused the issue. I made some changes and it SEEMS like it's back to doing the processes on-time, but we'll have to wait and see.

We don't have any usage stats from November or December though now. WAAAAHHHHH.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
It's kinda sad that we had so little going on that it took that long to manifest.

Here are your stats:
Members present: 12
Visitors: 100,000 (99.9% bots)

:troll:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I really want to buy the forum software upgrade, it lets us 'react' to posts with more than just a like.

Basically it's like Facebook where you can like, laugh, mad face, etc.

But also that seems like a dumb reason to spend $70 for the four of us.

But then again... decisions decision.

• Love
Reactions: Videoviper

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I haven't contributed (besides my intellectual prowess :p) in a while, so why not? Divide up the cost among the willing. Just promise it won't crash the forum or change it beyond recognition.

Reactions: NSA

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Sure, why not? I'll chip in.

Well damn.

I haven't contributed (besides my intellectual prowess :p) in a while, so why not? Divide up the cost among the willing. Just promise it won't crash the forum or change it beyond recognition.

Damn!

It should be the exact same*. I am sure something will break when I do it, but I've gotten pretty good about fixing the small issues that crop up. We haven't had a CRUSH in a while... *knocks on wood*

Hopefully. Looks like I need to upgrade the software ($70) and the theme ($20) to work on the new software.. those bandits really get you for everything! Though I guess making software you buy once and never again doesn't really make sense in a world of constant updates...

I think if you guys toss in $20 and we find 1 or 2 others, we can split it up pretty evenly?

Reactions: ThunderDan19

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Fonts seem a little changed too maybe? I think everything looks nice and clean.. I am actually surprised it all worked so smoothly.

I had to upgrade the backend software, the theme software, and then the theme, but the theme was out of date.. and then I also upgraded some of the addons and the front page addons and... it all seems to be working!!

Maybe 2020 isn't so bad after all!