Photoshop tute: Adding Blood To Your Photos (PIC HEAVY)

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
First off, let me apologise for the long delay in creating this tutorial. I blame Max Payne 3 and Grand Theft Auto 4 for being too damn addictive.

Anyway, here goes.

Blood has always been a distasteful subject, but during the course of diorama photography and the pursuit of greater realism, we may eventually encounter dio situations where bloodshed is necessary.

Applying actual "blood" (Halloween blood or similar) to your diorama is certainly effective, but not everyone is willing to potentially stain a prized dio piece or figure. Also, blood spray is a very difficult effect to achieve "in camera" at such a small scale.
This is where programs such as Photoshop come in.

There are many websites that offer free downloadable user-made Photoshop brushes (Google will help you find them), but for this tutorial I chose to make my own image overlays instead:

I made my own "blood mix" by blending Halloween fake blood with red and black acrylic paint.
I loaded an old 1/3 inch flat brush with the mix and let it drip onto a sheet of white styrene plastic. I achieved the spatter effect by blowing the large droplets around through a drinking straw, and by raking a toothpick across the brush bristles.
Feel free to use these images, but please don't upload them elsewhere.

Please note that I am no Photoshop guru, and other people may have their own way of doing things. However, I find that these techniques work well for me.
And remember - SAVE OFTEN.

1) I'll start with an image some of you may be familiar with - a similar pic I took was our site banner image a few months ago.

2) Once your image is cropped and resized, open one of the blood pics.

3) With the blood pane active, go to Select>All. This will select the entire image.

4) Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V to copy and paste it to your image. Note that it is automatically pasted on a new layer.
Hit Ctrl-D to deselect and remove the "marching ants" bounding area.

5) Go to Edit>Transform>Scale to resize the layer as desired. Click on a corner of the bounding box and drag to resize. You can hold down Ctrl while dragging to maintain the layer's aspect ratio.
Go to Edit>Transform>Rotate to rotate the layer (thank you, Captain Obvious). Click on a corner of the bounding box and drag to rotate.
When you're satisfied, click anywhere on the Tools pane on the left to apply the transformation.

6) You can reposition the active layer by holding Ctrl then clicking-and-dragging to the desired spot.

7) Now click on the drop-down menu on the Tools pane - this shows you the various layer blending styles.
Choose "Multiply", which will make all the white parts of the layer turn invisible.

8) With the Blood layer still active, click Image>Adjustments>Brightness and Contrast. This will bring up the Brightess/Contrast window. Adjust the sliders to suit your taste.

9) Looks OK so far, but we can also add a bit of motion blur to the blood.
Go to Select>Blur>Radial Blur. The Radial Blur window will pop up.

10) Select the "Zoom" blur method, and a blur amount of roughly 10.
The "Blur Center" area allows you to specify where the zoom blur will emanate from. I clicked on an area slightly higher and to the right of the actual center.

11) Click OK to apply the effect. If you're not happy with it, press Ctrl-Z once to Undo, then try again from Step 9 until it looks good to you.

(CONTINUED BELOW)

Last edited:

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
12. For the blood spatter on the wall, we'll use a slightly different technique.
Open another overlay in a new pane.

13. Select the Magic Wand tool on the left, then click anywhere in the white space around the bloodstain to select it.

14. Go to Select>Inverse. This inverts the selection field to the blood instead of the white space. Hit Ctrl-C to copy the blood selection.

15. Click on your photo to make it the active pane, then Ctrl-V to paste the copied bloodstain. This automatically creates another new layer.
If there's any leftover white space on the blood layer, just select it with the Magic Wand tool and delete.
Hit Ctrl-D to deselect.

16. In the Layer pane, click and drag the new layer down to change the layer order. This will make the bloodstain appear behind the flying blood spray.

17. With the blood layer still active, click the drop-down menu to change the Blending Mode to "Multiply". As with the earlier blood spray, this will turn any white parts invisible.
You can then use Edit>Transform>Scale/Rotate to resize the blood layer, and Ctrl-drag to reposition it (as per Steps 5 and 6 above).
You can also use Edit>Transform>Skew/Distort/Perspective to reshape the layer and achieve different looks.
Tweak the Brightness and Contrast sliders to taste (as per Step 8), and you're done!

Here's the final image (and two alternative ones using different blood overlays)

I hope you find this tutorial useful, and remember: when it comes to blood and gore, less is more. :D

Last edited:

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
I know what I'm doing tonight. I'll have to update my picture with the 'cartoony' blood in it.

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
Thanks again, although I forgot to mention that you can also use Edit>Transform>Skew/Distort/Perspective to further reshape the layer and achieve different looks.
I've edited the tute to include this info. :)

Ctrl_Z

Enlisted
May 6, 2011
that viper was such a good sport about getting shot for the sake of this tutorial.