Playsets and Display Environments

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder

Ctrl_Z

Enlisted
May 6, 2011
Those prices. Good lord those prices.

I usually use real places for my toy photos. sometimes I'll use what few playsets I have.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
While I admit that the saloon set is big (obviously), they are kinda large scale, but then again, with the mayan and pantheon sets, scale is sort of arbitrary. One of the few knocks on those two sets is that they are a tad small for 1:6 figures, but they are spot-on perfect for 4" or 6". The mayan set looks like it would be great for skeletor or indiana jones (10" diameter base, 11" height), and the column set could be yet another part of a war-torn dio.

Check out this review of the pantheon and the pics with the smaller figs. IMO, it really fits best with the 4-6" scale.

http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_051112a.htm

I'll admit they are a little expensive, but they are polystone, not plastic, and the detail is killer. Plus they are low production run items. It would cost more than that to custom build one of these.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Well I'll be...the pantheon one does look MUCH better with smaller figures...now I need to see the others in use :D

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
They won't work, but like nacho said, the Mayan and Pantheon sets will.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
I've always been a fan of the Tech Deck sets. They are tougher to find now. The scale is pretty close for them but they do need some weathering.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Well I'll be...the pantheon one does look MUCH better with smaller figures...now I need to see the others in use :D

I'm not as crazy as I appear on the surface!

Here's a review of a few more. Clearly some of them really only work for 1:6 scale stuff. But you can see in the pics, the Mayan one is way too small for 12" figs and would be killer for any kind of 4-6" Indy/MOTU/Tomb Raider type figures.

http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_042110a.htm

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
I guess this is a good thread to dredge back up for this.

We've all talked about the Jakks Pacific MiWorld in a couple other threads so I figured I'd bring them all together here.

They are a little big for 1:18 and fit better with 1:15 or 1:12 but they do have some nice sets and the did well enough to get a second series.

Series 1 :
OPI
Dairy Queen
Sprinkles

Deluxe:
Sweet Factory
Claires

Dairy Queen was really the best set of series 1

Series 2:
Sketchers
Mrs Fields
a Photobooth and a working vending machine

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The vernacular photo collector in me wants that photobooth.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Found this today Toy stages has some interesting things. I've thought about coverting some of my home made displays & backdrops to something similar. But I don't really have a printer that will support making enough to make it worth selling.

Toystages.com

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
It looks like Hasbro's Littlest Pet Shop toys are going to make products similar to Jakks MiWorld stuff. They look like interlocking sets that make larger playsets. I saw a 3 story building setup at Target.

Here are some more pictures I found on the internet.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
The only problem with the throne is the tips are VERY fragile. When I moved almost all of them broke off...

It is really awesome looking though.
Ttoo bad the best 1:18 GoT figures will probably be ReAction :(

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
I didn't know it was from GoT. I have yet to watch that.

Yeah it's The Iron Throne from GoT. It's more of statue than a toy but it works good. There were a couple pics of Destro on it from ToyArk last year when it came out.

I haven't watched the show yet either but I have read the books. I'm not sure what the show is going to do when it catches up with the unfinished books...

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
There's an Imaginext Castle set that features a pretty neat throne that's way out of scale with the figures but is pretty much ideal for Joes. It comes with a map table, side-table and globe. The paintwork is a little primary color but you could probably weather/dirty it all up to be pretty effective.

Imaginext® Castle Battle Plan - Shop Imaginext Kids' Toys | Fisher-Price

(The throne has a hidden treasure chest under it, which is in the ''up'' position on that image - it doesn't normally look that odd.)

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
There's an Imaginext Castle set that features a pretty neat throne that's way out of scale with the figures but is pretty much ideal for Joes. It comes with a map table, side-table and globe. The paintwork is a little primary color but you could probably weather/dirty it all up to be pretty effective.

Imaginext® Castle Battle Plan - Shop Imaginext Kids' Toys | Fisher-Price

(The throne has a hidden treasure chest under it, which is in the ''up'' position on that image - it doesn't normally look that odd.)

I've been eyeing that set for a while now but not sure I want to buy it yet as it would need a lot of paint work.

These are more of a diorama accessory. They are tiny little glass jars. The come filled with glitter & confetti but i'll dump that stuff out and fill them with more menacing items...
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0086LC49K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com : 20 Types Nail Art Mini Glitter Sheets Acrylic Tips : Nail Treatment Products : Beauty@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Df8tXRP5L.@@AMEPARAM@@51Df8tXRP5L[/ame]

Attachments

• glass_jars_scale.jpg
    glass_jars_scale.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 110

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
Cool!

Yeah, I love my Imaginext anyway but I was also able to get that set on clearance for $8. :D

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
There's an Amazon link in his post. I'm gonna look in the craft section of Wally World for something similar.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
These are a bit old and a little on the expensive side now but they make great little 1 shot backgrounds. The figures are a bit to big to be useful. Michael was alright and could be used as custom fodder and Raze is awesome but the rest were just meh. I sold off the figures I had except Raze and I kept the dio pieces.

Mezco's Underworld

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
^ so true. Great call!! I got a cast of a brain and heart from DW a while back. They would be perfect in those jars in a Mindbender dio.

Where they come from Archivist?

oddly enough I have a few playdough molds that with the right color would make a decent 1:18th scale heart. I've thought about making a few for Dr Mindbender's lab

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
I don't know why but I think I want these... Might be a bit too small though

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Yard-Flamingo-Miniatures-Board-Game/dp/B001A6094A/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1422039921&sr=1-1&keywords=flamingos&pebp=1422039934931&peasin=B001A6094A"]Amazon.com: Yard Flamingo Miniatures Board Game: Toys & Games@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51vONJtY1QL.@@AMEPARAM@@51vONJtY1QL[/ame]

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It's terrible with Violator in place, but even worse without him. Which is a shame, because the scale is pretty fair.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
A small piece of painted styrene would cover up the holes just fine. I was planning on getting some small paintings for them.

The back wall is also removable from the base. It just has a couple small screws in it.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Granted all that works for the right-hand side. I don't see how it doesn't look like dick on the "glass" though.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
I'll mess around with something and re-take the picture.

I guess I didn't really think of that as glass and just though it was some king of fancy molding. Our fireplace has something like that above it. Maybe a flatscreen TV.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I assumed it was because McFarlane does retarded shit like that. On second thought, I've never seen a window over a proper fireplace, so just treat it like a mantel and put something over it.

This one has my approval.