POC Cycle Armor

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
This guy is a real novelty item and only attractive to those that remember Robotech. DO NOT SPEND MORE THAN $20 SHIPPED!

He is cool as fuck in theory, but the end result is pretty craptastic. Glad I got mine since I fit the above category, but would be pissed if I had hunted him down on ebay. (thanks Major Blood!)

I think the pics say it all. Looks cool in both modes, but is a fucking brick of a figure and the bike is made of so many parts, it's tough to keep together. I'll add some more comments after I've had quality time to study him.

Update:

After playing with the armor all morning, I must say my opinions are changing a bit. The articulation is fine for the figure with full waist movement, hips and knees. I do wish the ankles had side movement for better posing. All his parts stay on well during normal play. With some paint apps, this could be made to look great. Taking his helmet off bumped the score up by a full point.

The engineering to make the bike is pretty impressive. The parts hold together for play, but don't drop it around Eddie, he just might take advantage while you are on your hands and knees looking for the exploded parts.

The figure is the weakest link, really bland, but since his sleeves and vest come off, you could use any figure with only a thigh swap.

To sum it up, a bit of a letdown at first, but with play, you realize they did a fairly good job. Not for the Joe collector, but definitely great for anime fans. I still stand by the $20 rule.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Genesis Climber MOSPEDA, actually. Robotech in America is a nonsensical abortion of three unrelated parent series. ;)

Had no interest in this from the start, but this is the second review i read that had someone let down by it.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah, I read reviews that let me know what to expect, so I'm actually surprised that it executes as well as it does. I am surprised that he has a functional knee joint.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Yea, I'm surprised people will pay good money for this toy. When I shipped it the damn thing fell apart all over the place. I had to scour the floor for parts. The theory is interesting I guess but execution is again a failure. It's easy to understand why Hasbro can't get anyone to take these in the states. A ghey ass transformer and treads with no protection. Great job design team. Fire every one of those douches and save some money to give figures a camo pattern.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I really do like this guy and take back my "brick" comment. He has full waist and leg articulation. Arms can't do much, but they are just gun mounts for when he's zooming down the road, proppelled by his turbofans. He looks much better sans helmet.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Now that other suit is nice! Too bad big H couldn't pull something like that off. Maybe they wouldn't be in discount stores right now.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
That suit cheats. ;)

You just pop the head on it from the 1:18 figure and the arms are part of the suit. You also have to buy 10 figures (2 duplicate sets of 5) to accumulate the needed parts to build it. If the 10 figures are not from the same case, there is a good chance you won't get all the right parts. The boxes are blind, so you have to open them to see what part is included. Yeah, it cost me around $100 to import a full case just so I could build my beloved Appleseed armslave. Worth every penny. :)

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
So that's how they get you in? Damn, that's a good gig they have. I will say, that suit is much nicer than many I've seen but then again I've only seen the Hasbro ones. :eek:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
That suit cheats. ;)

You just pop the head on it from the 1:18 figure and the arms are part of the suit. You also have to buy 10 figures (2 duplicate sets of 5) to accumulate the needed parts to build it. If the 10 figures are not from the same case, there is a good chance you won't get all the right parts. The boxes are blind, so you have to open them to see what part is included. Yeah, it cost me around $100 to import a full case just so I could build my beloved Appleseed armslave. Worth every penny. :)

a 1:18 Dominion Tank Police line would cock punch the shit out of that Landmate ( I cannot believe you mixed it up with an Arm Slave)..

Confess it!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, not a Scope Dog fan, or a fan of mecha in general.

Everyone should make themselves familiar with Masamune Shirow's more cyber punk offerings. Appleseed, Dominion Tank Police and Ghost in the Shell

danielgogeta

Enlisted
Mar 26, 2011
I like the bike, kinda turned off that the cycle armour doesn't realistically blend, somewhat how mospeada cycles do. If i would choose between mospeada bikes and this, i would go for the mospeada instead rather than a 20usd of plastic. here it costs more, its close to 28usd a piece.

If it goes down to 12usd i would get one for its play value. :)

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Get rid of the handle bars and maybe the wheels and you'd have a nice armored suit without the transforming gimmick.

I agee the lift ticket helmet...is the ticket.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
wow. Although I only watched the Macross part of Robotech I got to say the cyclone armor idea is awesome. That probably would have looked better had Hasbro simply worked on it's aesthetics a little better as oppose to just making the thing black and grey with random yellow.

malcadon

H8ter4life
Mar 14, 2011
Pimpvile
You guys have no idea how tight my jeans has gotten reading this thread - I just really like mecha.

Pcguy88, your collection of mech-suits are awesome!!!

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
You guys have no idea how tight my jeans has gotten reading this thread - I just really like mecha.

Pcguy88, your collection of mech-suits are awesome!!!

I only have 2, but the only other 1:18 scale I know of is the Scope Dog. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one of those for a trade some day.

Mechs fucking rule!

SR_501

Walfisch.
Mar 14, 2011
Meh, It looks alright. I thought they were going to orginal use that mold for Kicker from Transformers: Energon? I could be wrong.

Still want a 1:18 Zaku..............

thelegoguy

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2011
i think it looks "ok". If the figure were a real articulated fig I would probably pick one up. If anything, it may have customizing potential?

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Meh, It looks alright. I thought they were going to orginal use that mold for Kicker from Transformers: Energon? I could be wrong.

Still want a 1:18 Zaku..............

A 1/18 Zaku? dude just make a costume and stomp around your joes and such.

malcadon

H8ter4life
Mar 14, 2011
Pimpvile
1:18th scale!?! Not counting that big ass 1:1 RX-78 Gundam model kit in Japan (if you dont know about it, for the love of Mike, look it up!), the scale only goes up to 1:60 (Perfect Grade) for the mobile suits, and they are large, highly detailed, and fucking expensive! At 1:18, the model/figure would be the size of an adult!

On the other hand, those cheep hard rubber Gundam action figures, are the same size as 1:18th action figures, and many of their weapons and gear are interchangeable - which is good for Star Wars action figure fans, as the toy beam sabers look much better then the toy light sabers.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Yeah, not a Scope Dog fan, or a fan of mecha in general.

Everyone should make themselves familiar with Masamune Shirow's more cyber punk offerings. Appleseed, Dominion Tank Police and Ghost in the Shell

I've seen and read two out of the three - no Dominion Tank Police, sadly. Library is a bust.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
i think it looks "ok". If the figure were a real articulated fig I would probably pick one up. If anything, it may have customizing potential?

The right paint scheme will do him wonders. I would compare his articulation to that of a Universe Transformer except for the arms, they are just gunmounts.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I also consider the suit more of a vehicle than an exoskeleton. Looks like something you would skim along the ground in with the turbo fans blasting, not running down the street picking up stuff and wreaking havoc in.

SR_501

Walfisch.
Mar 14, 2011
A 1/18 Zaku? dude just make a costume and stomp around your joes and such.

1:18th scale!?! Not counting that big ass 1:1 RX-78 Gundam model kit in Japan (if you dont know about it, for the love of Mike, look it up!), the scale only goes up to 1:60 (Perfect Grade) for the mobile suits, and they are large, highly detailed, and fucking expensive! At 1:18, the model/figure would be the size of an adult!

On the other hand, those cheep hard rubber Gundam action figures, are the same size as 1:18th action figures, and many of their weapons and gear are interchangeable - which is good for Star Wars action figure fans, as the toy beam sabers look much better then the toy light sabers.

Bandai has made some bigger scale Zaku's than 1:60th. They were Window Displays For store fronts and such.(Gundam store and more had them sold out of course.) Now if only they mass produced them...

xhairs

odd man out !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 15, 2011
blasdell ny
photobucket.com
Yea, I'm surprised people will pay good money for this toy. When I shipped it the damn thing fell apart all over the place. I had to scour the floor for parts. The theory is interesting I guess but execution is again a failure. It's easy to understand why Hasbro can't get anyone to take these in the states. A ghey ass transformer and treads with no protection. Great job design team. Fire every one of those douches and save some money to give figures a camo pattern.

im with you MB. this thing looked bad.