Possible Mattel / Hasbro merger

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yup, Hasbro's work would devolve, and Mattel's wouldn't get any better.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Sadly, Mattel would be the big brother of the merger, based on size, but completely ignoring the fact that they've been flagging for years. Mattel does more "girl" toys, while Hasbro dominates the "boy" toys. However, I think Hasbro does more girl stuff than Mattel does boy stuff. Without hotwheels and the WWE license, Mattel doesn't exist in the blue isles. Now that they are losing the disney "frozen" stuff to Hasbro, along with Hasbro's MLP line, Big-H should be improving in the pink isle too.

I look at this, and my first thought is, "What would Hasbro get out of a merger?" Mattel would get to give up on boy toys because they suck at it, and they'd get back the girl market they've been shedding... but Hasbro gets what? New fat Barbie? Toy Story dolls?

Let's face it, the DC license would likely still play second fiddle at Hasbro to Marvel and SW. Disney is such a big part of the Hasbro pie now, they can't afford to show Warner Bros any preferential love.

I still think there is a bigger chance Disney buys Hasbro than Hasbro merging with Mattel. It's probably just a stunt to get their shares up before selling out.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
There is absolute fuck-all that Mattel brings to the table for Hasbro's Boys Toys except their ownership of MegaBloks.

For 18th superfigures, all we'd end up with is collectors-aimed figures with no torso or hindarm artic.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mattel making G.I. Joe Megabloks would actually be a good thing. Kreos are fucking terrible.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
Nacho obviously owns no MegaBloks. MBs are full-on 1:32 action figures in every sense of the word, with additional brick-compatible foot sockets and handgrips. Lego minifigures are 50yo accessories for brick toys and Kreons are weak imitators. Hasbro should have innovated, not imitated, if they wanted to have succeeded.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
While good 3/4 DC figs was my first thought too, I quickly considered Hasbros recent 3/4' figure degradation...not to mention price increase in the face of falling oil prices. I don't suspect anything will get better with this monopolization, just worse.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Nacho obviously owns no MegaBloks. MBs are full-on 1:32 action figures in every sense of the word, with additional brick-compatible foot sockets and handgrips. Lego minifigures are 50yo accessories for brick toys and Kreons are weak imitators. Hasbro should have innovated, not imitated, if they wanted to have succeeded.

I actually own a metric ton of CoD megabloks. Kroger puts them on clearance regularly. They are nice. Yeah, no doubt the figures are better than lego/kreo people, but blocks are blocks are blocks. I don't see why Hasbro couldn't make kre-o sets just like them.

There is absolutely nothing special about megabloks that should make Hasbro say, "we need to merge with another company to acquire this elusive technology!" They're fucking blocks. Copy. Innovate. Whatever, but it doesn't require a 100 million dollar merger to get that sorted out.

And while they are nice, it's not like megabloks are setting the toy world on fire either. Lego chortles in their general direction, deserved or not.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The hilarious bit is even if Hasbro and Mattel merged, the conglomerate would still be second-fiddle to The LEGO Group.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
We don't need the two of them to merge, as that would only kill any diversity we have. One toy company to rule them all is not good.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Acquisition over innovation is the road to demise I say.