Review: Sci Fi (GI Joe 30th anniversary)

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Figure:

Here is another figure that most GI Joe fans were calling for when the 30th anniversary was announced. It is a great nod to the original character with some nice detail to the weapons they gave him. Seymour "Sci-Fi" Fine comes from a small town called Geraldine in Montana. The head sculpt is new. He has the normal articulation as other figures, including the wrists. The wrists don't really move though because his sleeves are too long. You get a slight range of motion but nothing fancy.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Accessories:

He does not come with a bunch of items but he does have his classic laser rifle and back pack. According to the file card he has: Removable helmet, helmet with blast shield, power hose, power source backpack and argon-gurst laser rifle. It also says he has a support rifle but there was nothing there. It may not have made the cut.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Posability:

As I mentioned, his wrists are kind of limited. The hands on this figure had an issue holding the gun well. Besides that, the vest they gave him is bulky and he suffers from the same posing problems Low Light has. The hose is similar to what the Techno Viper has too so it will eventually wear too big for what it's attached to. Other than that, the figure can go through all the other motions but trying to get a two handed grip on the rifle will most likely be an issue.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Helmets:

He does come with alternate helmets. One probably for when he is firing the laser and the other for general use. Perhaps they are supposed to be one helmet but Hasbro didn't want to put a flip down shield on it. Just a theory.

Bravestarr

Molon Labe!
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
Thank you for the review, MAJ Blood!

Sci Fi is awesome, and pretty rare.

BBTS and HTS seem to be the only sources these days.

May I ask where you found yours?

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Someone I used to trade with at HT came to me and asked if I wanted the figure. That and Airtight were about all I was missing. I could care less about Ripchord. Still need Airtight to review though.

Bravestarr

Molon Labe!
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
Airtight is excellent!

I have Storm Shadow, Sci Fi, Lifeline, Law/Order, Techno-Viper, Zombie Viper and Airtight in my POL at BBTS.

Seems that was the only way to get them all without driving all over Hell's half-acre in a fruitless search.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Sci-Fi looks like he's supposed to. 'bout all I can say for him.

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
Cool review...thanks for posting. I haven't opened mine and not sure I want to keep him...so your pics are gonna help me decide. :D

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
still don't get the point of cables connecting his boots to his pockets...

that being said, S-F came out more perfect than i could have ever imagined...maybe a green or black paint app on his chest shield thing...the verticle bars

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I love all the ARAH guys that debuted in the 30th waves, save for maybe Law & Order, who is merely adequate as an ARAH version of himself. As far as modern updates, I think that Storm Shadow, Law & Order, Airtight and Lifeline still work very well, but Sci-Fi is way too 80's. He's also cumbersome and not as streamlined as the others, either.

Not to say I don't love the figure—because I do. He's pretty fantastic, and I never thought we'd see him made (considering that as of this writing, we're still absent of many of the more "realistic" and more fan-favorite characters like Cover Girl and Footloose, although they're coming via the GIJCC this spring). There's just something about him that's a tad too bulky and garish when next to Airtight or Lifeline, who seem to be less... awkward.

Part of it may be the reused 25th parts, such as the torso and upper legs, which give him a slightly stockier build. Or it could be that I was hoping for all-new parts for him. Regardless, they work together pretty well, but it's like he's 90% there. He's pretty faithful to the original figure, and they even captured those weird cables (which were sculpted flat on the vintage Sci-Fi's legs, they just didn't stick out like that) and I even like the hybrid cartoon/toy coloration for the chest stripes. Paint-wise, I don't think I would change a thing about him. The new parts are pretty awesome, and his gear is fantastically re-sculpted.

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
Thanks for doing these reviews. I stumbled across 1 of each of the new releases on a peg at a random TRU when I was traveling for work. I picked up all the ARAH versions and the zombie viper. It stung paying $8.95 each for them but judging by the scarcity you guys are talking about, I did well.