screw you scalpers...

oddball

Enlisted
Mar 14, 2011
I am so done hunting and driving for figures. The flavor of the month here is marvel legends. I cant find them anywhere within 3 counties. Thanks to fogger I got some for my sons birthday , but I just bought a case of series two and preordered series 3 from big bad toy store. Anyone else give up the hunt in the wild and buy cases??????

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Especially when DG's get figs for $5. Yes, it's just the fig with weapon and stand - but isn't that all we really want to begin with?

ML and MU are scarce here too. Rarely see anything new on the pegs.

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
Especially when DG's get figs for $5. Yes, it's just the fig with weapon and stand - but isn't that all we really want to begin with?

ML and MU are scarce here too. Rarely see anything new on the pegs.

I thought all the DGs were $6, and it was Christmas Tree Shops who were $5.

Point's the same, of course. ;)

Figures are scarce here now. TRU and Target are pretty empty and even Walgreens seems to have run out of stock. Still $6 DG Joes for me. I picked up another SS, Cobra Trooper, and a Shippy for under $20 after tax yesterday. The girl (probably 16 or 17) who rang me up asked if I collected them. She said there was a guy always calling about the Cobra Trooper. :talktothehand: I said I don't collect them, I customize them. It's good to know someone else is trying to clear the pegs for more.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Scalplers are definitely ruining the hobby...they are taking away the fun and enjoyment of it and replacing it irritation and frustration...that cannot be argued

Being in a very populated area, there's many scalplers cleaning out all the stores I could even think of going to...

Last edited:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Scalping is buying up the retail stock and reselling at grossly inflated prices. Buying toys from the manufacturer and selling them at whatever price they like is vastly different. A true scalper adds an additional middle-man to the buying process. An etailer is no different than WM.com, except BBTS just knows how to price items based on demand. Heaven forbid they maximize profit and minimize getting stuck with unsellable pegwarmers.

I feel like I'm back at the tank. Scalpers stole my toys. Scalpers took my lunch money. Scalpers are responsible for global warming. WTF. Next thing I know, one of you will be impersonating a female to get attention.

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
Scalping is buying up the retail stock and reselling at grossly inflated prices. Buying toys from the manufacturer and selling them at whatever price they like is vastly different. A true scalper adds an additional middle-man to the buying process. An etailer is no different than WM.com, except BBTS just knows how to price items based on demand. Heaven forbid they maximize profit and minimize getting stuck with unsellable pegwarmers.

I feel like I'm back at the tank. Scalpers stole my toys. Scalpers took my lunch money. Scalpers are responsible for global warming. WTF. Next thing I know, one of you will be impersonating a female to get attention.

Nobody has said any of that. And no Walmart.com and BBTS are not the same thing. Walmart sells stuff for MSRP regardless of what it is. BBTS gouges prices for popular items. That may not be the exact same thing as scalping, because of the lack of a middleman. But it's the same practice of gouging people.

And before you jump on my case this post neither condemns nor condones that practice. I'm merely stating a fact of what's going on. And there are going to be people who are unhappy about it.

Last edited:

Dark Horse

Ultimate Z-list celebrity
BBTS has some of the most outrageous international shipping prices I've ever seen. Like $30 for a single figure, when the actual cost is $5. I sent them an email asking if it was correct, and I got a shitty response. So I replied "Fuck you BBTS, congrats on losing hundreds of dollars of business"

Fuck BBTS.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I don't think people understand the correct definition of "price gouging". Any time someone sees a price higher than they want to pay or higher than another store, it must be "price gouging". Evil, evil price gouging.

When gas stations think there is a storm coming to the gulf and they hike the price of gas up to $5 for no reason, on a commodity that people must have to survive and have no reasonable alternatives... THAT is price gouging.

Pricing luxury items based on demand to maximize profit... that's just smart business. No one is going to die without that new exclusive action figure, so if the price is too high, don't buy it! But don't be mad at the store for trying to maximize what they get for the items they sell. If NO ONE paid the price, then obviously it's too high and they'll have to come down if they want to move the merchandise. If it doesn't come down, then clearly some people are willing to pay the higher price. It might not be you, but it's somebody.

But seriously, just because the price set by the supply and demand curve is higher than you think it should be, or wish it would be, does not make it price gouging. It's capitalism. Since you guys are saving so much money by not shopping at BBTS (or whoever else you think is an e-scalper), maybe some of you can afford an intro-to-econ book. ;)

oddball

Enlisted
Mar 14, 2011
I got my case yesteday. The way I look at it is this. I saved a ton in the aggravation and gas money hunting down these figures. It shipped fast (3 days ups) and my son was happy that he got a box in the mail and it was filled with a whole series. In my opinion, its not price gouging , im paying for convenience.

The new marvel legends are really nice by the way. Im a big fan of the marvel universe line, but bigger is better when it comes to this. They are awesome.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Awesome. I love buying cases/sets and not having to worry about hunting down short-packed figures.

The only downside to BBTS (or any other e-tailer) in that regard is that they don't make any distinction in variants. I couldn't order ML Punisher for fear of getting Blade (ugh) or Moonstar for fear of getting strip club Mystique.

Riotheory

Enlisted
Jun 26, 2012
Wasatch Front, UT
I don't know if Marvel case assortments suck as much as Joe cases, but I can't stand to buy multiples of characters I don't care about to get the one or two I want out of the wave. I doubt it will change, though, even if it doesn't make sense to me to load them like that. I'll keep taking my chances with ebay and brick and mortar.

R.

Edit: Of course, if I were trying to complete a collection of something, then it would be totally worth it to make sure I got everything.

Last edited:

oddball

Enlisted
Mar 14, 2011
I had the same thought nacho , but after reading forums like marvelousnews and ect. I found out that varients like red deadpool , mooonstar and blade have not been seen yet so I figured playing the odds was a good idea and it worked . I wanted the mystic, punisher and didnt care what deadpool I got. No build a figure in this wave though. Ill be picking up wave 3 when it gets in but have no interest in hyberion , Id rather have sentry. I cant remember the other variant off hand....